Blu-Ray Gets Bigger

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Blu-Ray Gets Bigger

Now PS3 games can cram even more uncompressed data onto one CD, as Sony and Panasonic voodoo masters have worked technological wizardry to beef up the capacity of a Blu-Ray disc.

Sony's PS3 and Microsoft's Xbox 360 have their strengths and disadvantages in the console war, but one area where Microsoft is clearly at a loss is its choice of media: Sony's proprietary Blu-Ray format can hold 25 GB of data on a single layer (and can be dual-layered), where Microsoft's DVD-9s can barely stomach a third of that. Now, the disparity is going to get even wider, reports Nikkei Electronics Asia.

Sony and Panasonic have tag-teamed to create a method with which the storage capacity of the Blu-Ray can be increased from 25 GB to 33.4 GB using existing Blu-Ray reader diodes. There's some really complicated technology at work here that depends on reading infinitesimally small amounts of jitter, and that's way, way over my head, so instead of the actual technobabble I'll just explain it as this: Sony and Panasonic unholy priests performed a dark voodoo ritual to give their media disc even more power. That's all you need to know, right?

Apparently, it won't even require a hardware update - it can be accomplished with firmware and work on your existing Blu-Ray players, too.

Now, the Sony and Panasonic technicians should work on getting the data actually read at a decent speed so that we don't have to sit through crazy loading screens or install times.

(Via Blu-Ray.com)

With existing Hardware? Holy Shit these guys are good. Will the PS3 be able to include it in an update? Maybe just in time for MGS5 with 24 hours of full HD cutscenes.

You know the difference between Legal and College ruled paper? It seems like they essentially moved the lines closer together on the discs, because they got a steadier needle (algorithm to account for jitter rather then a new physical read head) to read it (less jitter == less shakiness during a read == tighter data tracks)

At least that's what it sounds like from the terminology used. Either way, this should be pretty sweet. More high res textures for my PS3 games!

Getting an extra eight plus some gigs storage space without changing your hardware? That is impressive.

CantFaketheFunk:
Now, the Sony and Panasonic technicians should work on getting the data actually read at a decent speed so that we don't have to sit through crazy loading screens or install times.

Back to your stations, people, nothing good to see here... Blu-Ray is still massive and a pain in the ass.

Kross:
...because they got a steadier needle to read it

But it was without a hardware update. If our systems would need a steadier needle to read it then it wouldn't work. I do agree with what you said about college ruled paper though, they're probably cramming.

I thought the previous 25GB was just for one layer, and they were able to dual layer their discs giving them a total of 50GB, but maybe I was mistaken? If I'm right about the dual layer though, that means we've got 70GB disks and that's a massive fucking disk.

With existing hardware? That's good. Sony earns some points for that.

didn't MGS4 have dual layer disc with 50gb I rather have that instead

Amnestic:
Getting an extra eight plus some gigs storage space without changing your hardware? That is impressive.

Ill say...wonder whatelse they can cram in!

CantFaketheFunk:
-snip-

You know there's been a 250GB Blu-Ray, right? 10 layers, compatible in any Blu-Ray player.

Megacherv:

CantFaketheFunk:
-snip-

You know there's been a 250GB Blu-Ray, right? 10 layers, compatible in any Blu-Ray player.

Then this would be a 334GB Blu-Ray with the same layers :P

Holy S***! That could fit the entire MGS series on 1 disc with room left over for more!

CantFaketheFunk:

Megacherv:

CantFaketheFunk:
-snip-

Then this would be a 334GB Blu-Ray with the same layers :P

I...err...I...shhhhh...

Certainly some GREAT potential for the future....

But for now - sorry to say this - PS3 has no games.

DirtyCommie:

I almost wish that were true, because I'm nearing the end of Indigo Prophecy, and I'd really like Heavy Rain to come out for PC. If you made that statement two years ago, you would have been right, but it's no longer the case. What exclusives does the Xbox currently over the PS3, aside from Halo, Fable, and Viva Pinata? PS3's got Killzone, Uncharted, Infamous, God of War, and Little Big Planet. The 360, meanwhile, has been losing exclusives.

And the PC gets some of the multiplats, indie games, and whatever PC ports of Xbox "exclusives" Microsoft decides not scrap. Aside from Valve, my platform of choice isn't getting any love.

Impressive! What does it mean though, better graphics? Can the PS3 hardware handle it? Won't it become too expensive to make animations and stuff?

Tzekelkan:
Impressive! What does it mean though, better graphics? Can the PS3 hardware handle it? Won't it become too expensive to make animations and stuff?

It just means they have more memory to work with, should they want to use it.

DirtyCommie:

Im sorry, but are you really wanting to start a flame war? I would have agreed with your comment say a year ago, but not so anymore. Last year was pretty good for PS3 owners.

Kross:
More high res textures for my PS3 games!

That's probably not so likely though, given RAM limitations. How many PS3 games need more than 25gb on account of textures? None that I know of.

More likely it will mean higher quality FMVs/audio in some games; and the option for less discs in items like TV box sets and such.

DirtyCommie:

Michael Jackson dies and Rage Against the Machine get a christmas number 1 in the UK in 2009. Bet on these things and you'll be rich beyond your wildest dreams!

(We may as well take advantage of this temporal wormhole that lets us speak to someone from 2 years ago...)

ThrobbingEgo:

DirtyCommie:

I almost wish that were true, because I'm nearing the end of Indigo Prophecy, and I'd really like Heavy Rain to come out for PC. If you made that statement two years ago, you would have been right, but it's no longer the case. What exclusives does the Xbox currently over the PS3, aside from Halo, Fable, and Viva Pinata? PS3's got Killzone, Uncharted, Infamous, God of War, and Little Big Planet. The 360, meanwhile, has been losing exclusives.

And the PC gets some of the multiplats, indie games, and whatever PC ports of Xbox "exclusives" Microsoft decides not scrap. Aside from Valve, my platform of choice isn't getting any love.

Mass Effect? That's a pretty huge Microsoft exclusive (at least for now).

I don't know whether this was just a rumor, but apparently some scientists were working on a disc that used nanoscopic gold rods and could hold 10TB of data. Which would be insane.

That IS impressive, and a very good peice of work from Sony, so applause are due.

Would you kindly improve your programming architecture now so the games can use that memory in a more efficient manner and actually blow the 360 out of the water in processing now, though?

I read about terabyte Blu-Ray discs coming soon a while back. Apparently not that soon. Must say, though, I don't feel entirely comfortable with the idea of 1000gigabytes that you can accidentally scratch.

K sorry, let me review my comment.....

PS3 has no good games. IMO. PC is superior anyway.

Please, no flame war. Not what im looking for here.

CantFaketheFunk:

Sony's PS3 and Microsoft's Xbox 360 have their strengths and disadvantages in the console war, but one area where Microsoft is clearly at a loss is its choice of media: Sony's proprietary Blu-Ray format can hold 25 GB of data on a single layer (and can be dual-layered), where Microsoft's DVD-9s can barely stomach a third of that. Now, the disparity is going to get even wider, reports Nikkei Electronics Asia.

it's not proprietary, it's an open format much like the DVD standard.

Kross:
You know the difference between Legal and College ruled paper? It seems like they essentially moved the lines closer together on the discs, because they got a steadier needle (algorithm to account for jitter rather then a new physical read head) to read it (less jitter == less shakiness during a read == tighter data tracks)

At least that's what it sounds like from the terminology used. Either way, this should be pretty sweet. More high res textures for my PS3 games!

i guess it's better than making the beam of the laser smaller. however that is cool how they did that with the discs

DirtyCommie:
K sorry, let me review my comment.....

PS3 has no good games. IMO. PC is superior anyway.

Please, no flame war. Not what im looking for here.

You really sound like another fanboy from another site I was on...

Are you following me?

OT: Hopefully that means less load times. That's always a big point in reviews and comparisons for games. But good signs for the future!

DirtyCommie:

Have you been living under a rock for the past two years, or are you just a troll. I bet you haven't even payed on a PS3. Don't start a flame war, we've had enough of those already.
Edit: Okay, looked at one of your replies to an earlier post, I suppose your not the troll I thought you were. Just add the IMO, and I still don't understand how you can ignore all of the great titles. Sure, some games are a little flat, but if the PS3 had no good games, why do so many people have one?

blu ray was a scam and digital media FTW

that is all i have to say.

DirtyCommie:
PS3 has no games.

Keep that stuff on 4chan please.

OT:Shweet.That's a lot of storage space.

RanD00M:

DirtyCommie:
PS3 has no games.

I like how everyone in here is telling me not to start a flame war, and then starts flaming me themselves. If you want to prevent a flame war, heres a tip for you people - dont reply.

Do any games even use the 25GB available yet? But still, that's a very impressive feat.

Damn! How will they cram all that graham? Pretty cool. I'm glad people are finally warming up to PS3.. I just wish I still had my old backwards-compatible one.

ThrobbingEgo:

DirtyCommie:

Neither the PS3 nor 360 will be getting Starcraft 2 or Diablo 3. Your gaming superiority is assured.

DirtyCommie:

RanD00M:

DirtyCommie:
PS3 has no games.

I like how everyone in here is telling me not to start a flame war, and then starts flaming me themselves. If you want to prevent a flame war, heres a tip for you people - dont reply.

You're stupid. This is like going up to a guy and punching him in the face and saying if you don't want to start a fight then don't punch back. Afterwards, telling authorities how "it was funny he didn't want a fight yet punched me back!".

CantFaketheFunk:
Neither the PS3 nor 360 will be getting Starcraft 2 or Diablo 3. Your gaming superiority is assured.

I thought there were whispers about Diablo 3 being console friendly.

I'm not really interested in either game, though my roommates will go nuts.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here