Sony Explains (Poorly) Why Only PS3 Can Do God of War III

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Sony Explains (Poorly) Why Only PS3 Can Do God of War III

Sony has claimed that upcoming hack-and-slash God of War III is only doable on the PS3, prompting gamers everywhere to point out "Yes, because you own the IP."

In the struggle between Sony's PS3 and Microsoft's Xbox 360 for dominance, key exclusives are seen as the road to success: The Xbox 360 may have Mass Effect 2, but the PS3 has God of War III - widely seen as a system seller. Speaking with CVG, GOW3's UK product manager Claire Backhouse reinforced the idea that the mythology-slaughtering carnagefest was only possible with the power of Sony's sleek black machine, just like they've claimed with every other PS3 exclusive since freakin' Resistance.

"The dynamic lighting solution employed in GOW III is only feasible through the computing power provided by the Cell SPUs," said Backhouse. "For example, using the High Dynamic Range Lighting (HDRL) technology, the camera - when using Kratos' sightline - will emulate the human retina, causing players to feel a sharp brightness when Kratos exits a dark area and enters a sunlit area, similar to how the human eye would need to adjust."

Okay, I get that GOW3 looks pretty, yes, but something in me finds this to be... less than the most stellar example Backhouse could have used. Not only does this have little to no effect on gameplay (unless Kratos will be spending most of the game from a first-person view repeatedly entering dark and bright areas, which I doubt), it's not the best example to use given that this effect has already been accomplished in a game, and that game was most decidedly not on the PS3.

This exact same visual effect - making the transition between sunny spaces and dark ones jarring to the eye, and simulating how things look blurry when backlit - was used to great effect in Ico, which was a PS2 game (an early PS2 game, even). Now, while I'm sure that God of War III's version is technologically superior and that Ico was just compensating using stellar art direction and sleight-of-hand, doesn't that suggest that similar effects could be done without the raw power of the PS3, but with developer creativity?

Don't get me wrong, I like my PS3 and I think GOW3 is going to be one fun experience (even if Bayonetta's combat makes Kratos look sluggish) but if you're going to trumpet the power of your game, you should really use an example that actually shows it off.

There's nothing that's on God of War that can't be done on the 360.

I'm a big fan of PS3 (its my favorite system) but sometimes Sony can be a bit smug about what they think is doable on their systems.

Yeah that's a piss poor example.
For a more recent example, didn't the Orange Box also use HDR lighting?
That was on every system (Save the Wii).

What a bizarre example.

Julianking93:
There's nothing that's on God of War that can't be done on the 360.

I'm a big fan of PS3 (its my favorite system) but sometimes Sony can be a bit smug about what they think is doable on their systems.

Just Sony trying to be sony, getting everyone to think that black, monolith of sheer power is the one and only console...

Well well well. If they can make an open-world game with bigger landmass and more little details than Xbox 360 could objectively handle work on a PS3...

...then we'll talk. Untill then, they can stop it with "our graphics are shinier because our console has more processing power" marketing.

C'mon Sony! You have finally started earning trust in the marketplace again. Don't go opening you stupid mouth and blowing it.

Who cares about a light change? That's just stupid.

It says Sony said it, yet it says that the GOW III product manager said it. Anyways, I don't see the big fuss over the game. The second one had a good story, but was average. Hopefully, this one will be better.

Baby Tea:
Yeah that's a piss poor example.
For a more recent example, didn't the Orange Box also use HDR lighting?
That was on every system (Save the Wii).

What a bizarre example.

Half Life: Lost Coast used HDR and it required Shader Model 2.0 (currently there are 4.0 and 5.0 versions).

So, not a poor example. A bullshit example.

For crying out loud, PCs have more powerful guts than either Xbox360 or PS3.

JimmyBassatti:
It says Sony said it, yet it says that the GOW III product manager said it. Anyways, I don't see the big fuss over the game. The second one was fun, but it was average fun. It wasn't the most fun I've ever had, but it wasn't barely fun. Hopefully, this one will be better.

...who is a Sony employee, given that the game is being made in-house :P

Kollega:
Well well well. If they can make an open-world game with bigger landmass and more little details than Xbox 360 could objectively handle...

...then we'll talk. Untill then, they can stop it with "our graphics are shinier" marketing.

The thing is, they could lol. Especially with those fancy new blu-ray discs... But, they don't, so who cares?

CantFaketheFunk:

JimmyBassatti:
It says Sony said it, yet it says that the GOW III product manager said it. Anyways, I don't see the big fuss over the game. The second one was fun, but it was average fun. It wasn't the most fun I've ever had, but it wasn't barely fun. Hopefully, this one will be better.

...who is a Sony employee, given that the game is being made in-house :P

Wow... Oh... Just wow... My bad, I didn't know it was being developed in-house. Well then... Damn it Funk, I try to prove you wrong, and be super cool, and then you do this...

But Xbox has enough buttons!

OT: But seriously, if you just simplify graphics by an unnoticeable bit it would work fine on Xbox. PC should be fine with it, although two mouse buttons don't equate well to four console buttons, the Wii would have to scale down their graphics dramatically.

the easy way to see what system is better is to end exclusive tittles , and may the best system win ... as for gow3 only on ps3 , IDGAS ... my ps3 and gaming have split ... i think it found out about my 360 and it was my fav for gaming ( OOPS i meant to say titles ,not something silly lkke tittles)

Well, assuming that the stories I heard a while ago about this are true, and that the maps on it are as huge as the levels of gore, then it will only be doable on one disk on the PS3 due to the over double amount of Blu-Ray storage space compared to DVDs, and a game like that on 2+ disks, as an X-box 360 version would be like, wouldn't work. Therefore - only works on PS3.

There, that's a much better example and I'm not even a dev.

CantFaketheFunk:

"The dynamic lighting solution employed in GOW III is only feasible through the computing power provided by the Cell SPUs," said Backhouse.

And pretty much any mid to high end gaming PC with a halfway decent GPU. Please, get over yourself, the PS3 isn't the be all and end all to gaming systems. The gaming PC will ALWAYS be more powerful than any current generation console, because PC's get better, the console stays the same. I understand that the man wants to talk up his own company's console, but doing it like this has the opposite effect. I'm now convinced that Sony employs a lot of technology ignorant buffoons to head up their projects. This does not persuade me to trust the quality of their games or their console.

Yeah, the lighting is a pretty poor example. Granted exclusive PS3 titles tend to have a certain look to them that I find a bit sharper then Xbox exclusives. Now being a few years into the cycle, maybe IP developers are finally getting the hang of how to use that damn processor.

Most Multi-platform titles don't seem to utilize it, mainly because they have to re-write a good portion of their code.

Am I the only person who remembers seeing that light thing on Halo 3?

The argument "There is so much awesome in this game only the ps3 can handle it" Would have been better than that...

Waiiit a minute, didnt HL2 Ep1/2 have HDR lighting? And they were on the xbox. On top of the fact that the pc had HDR lighting years ago, which defiently was on half life ep 1/lost island, because the PC will always outrank any of the consoles in brute power. oh well I'm not fussed over GoW3, having never played it, this just seems like a poor sales pitch for the ps3.

stupid sony, stupid game and stupid ico.

I'm sorry but i putted to much milk in my tea and now im cranky.

i dont really think that something that simulates how eyes react to light after having been in the dark is the kind of thing that makes people buy a playstation over the xbox, but it did get me curious about the effect since they think so, i already pre ordered GoW3 but now I'm even more exited about it.

also i know that microsoft doesn't care by now, but in my home sony won, i use my playstation almost everyday while my xbox elite is still in the original packing only serving the purpose of holding an ashtray close to the bed.

I'm probably gonna get flamed for PC Elitism, but HDR has been in quite a lot of PC games for several years now. The cell processor is not necessary.

GoW III a system seller? Really? Because I remember GoW II being rather poorly written and less enjoyable than the first one....kinda like DMC 2.

No, there are only a handful of exclusives that would make me buy a PS3: Folklore, Valkyria Chronicles, inFamous and White Knight Chronicles. And Versus XIII...if it's an exclusive.

GoW never entered my mind due to how dismal the last one was.

Really, the only diff between the systems is the Blu-Ray and how they market themselves. Sony likes to say that the PS3 does "Everything", yet it isn't backwards compatable, has less than robust online play, and if "Everything" means "Also hard to program for", then they are right.

Of course its doable on the 360, Im secretly glad its PS3 Exclusive though.

Hey guys, thers this thing called... damn, keep forgetting... oh yes! "Personal Computer" or "PC" for short. And I hear it can be more powerful than PS3. So if we go by your logic, should not GOW3 be a PC exclusive since it is so frigging heavy on a hardware?

you own the property jackass
don't know why he's saying that, GOW3 is going to sell as much as MW2 did and its going to be my reason for gettin a PS3 this year, cause i love this damn series

JaredXE:
GoW III a system seller? Really? Because I remember GoW II being rather poorly written and less enjoyable than the first one....kinda like DMC 2.

No, there are only a handful of exclusives that would make me buy a PS3: Folklore, Valkyria Chronicles, inFamous and White Knight Chronicles. And Versus XIII...if it's an exclusive.

GoW never entered my mind due to how dismal the last one was.

Really, the only diff between the systems is the Blu-Ray and how they market themselves. Sony likes to say that the PS3 does "Everything", yet it isn't backwards compatable, has less than robust online play, and if "Everything" means "Also hard to program for", then they are right.

damn you didn't like GOW2? i'll admit story wasn't as strong as the first, but its no where near as bad as Devil May Cry 2 (that was just crud). GOW2 at least had retooled gameplay that was fun to play throughout

It seems that the longer the console war goes on the more vindictive and stupid the developers get. Like Shigero... whatever his name is talking about how motion sensor tech is rubbish while the wii flits about in the background. Or how Fable 2 was a 360 exclusive for no apparent reason at all (aside from the fact that, you know, MS owns Molyneux). And of course sony constantly carping on about how superior the PS3 is hoping to make people forget that you still need to mortgage your house to get one (even though, as RedMenace pointed out, PC's can out perform all the consoles strictly because they can be upgraded repeatedly).

Just wait, a few years from now we'll look back and realize we should have foreseen all the assassinations.

I don't doubt that the PS3 is the most powerful game system on the market right now, as it is the only system capable of handling Blu-Ray, and it is my favorite system. Granted, there are going to be some games that only the PS3 can handle properly (like Dragon Age, which looks piss-poor ugly on the XBox but looks decently pretty on the PS3 but that's opinion I guess) But that was a pretty poor example on their part. I think they seem to forget that not everyone gives a shit... but oh well, that's marketing, I suppose.

The console wars have practically rendered themselves moot. Graphics aren't going to get much better, so if you've been a Playstation kid since day 1, you're going to go for the Playstation... same with the Xbox and the Nintendo...

JaredXE:

XBox isn't backwards compatible either.

RedMenace:
Hey guys, thers this thing called... damn, keep forgetting... oh yes! "Personal Computer" or "PC" for short. And I hear it can be more powerful than PS3. So if we go by your logic, should not GOW3 be a PC exclusive since it is so frigging heavy on a hardware?

I think they're trying to appeal to a larger market by going on a console. It's just good business. Not everyone can afford the super-computer that's required for modern gaming graphics, but consoles are relatively cheap comparatively.

GameGoddess101:

JaredXE:

RedMenace:

I think they're trying to appeal to a larger market by going on a console. It's just good business. Not everyone can afford the super-computer that's required for modern gaming graphics, but consoles are relatively cheap comparatively.

Er, 360 is a lot more backwards compatible than the PS3. Unless I wasn't playing Battlefront the other day...

RE5 did that too

System seller? Is this like a few years ago when everyone raced to play the Halo Killer?

CantFaketheFunk:

GameGoddess101:

JaredXE:

RedMenace:

Er, 360 is a lot more backwards compatible than the PS3. Unless I wasn't playing Battlefront the other day...

The only 360 I ever played was one of the first, so the backwards compatibility was still fucked.

HDR is sooooo early 2000. What we need is HD-BVRDVDS with our mp12s to be impressed now!

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here