EA Ready to "Attack" Modern Warfare

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

EA Ready to "Attack" Modern Warfare

Electronic Arts says it's ready to launch an "attack" against the hugely popular Modern Warfare series and it's looking to the upcoming Battlefield: Bad Company 2 to make it a success.

There's no question that when it comes to modern combat shooters, Activision's Modern Warfare franchise rules the roost. The games have made truckloads of money for the publisher and turned Infinity Ward into one of the most highly-regarded developers in the business. EA says it's gearing up to challenge that state of affairs, but not, surprisingly enough, with the recently announced Medal of Honor overhaul.

"In March we will launch Battlefield: Bad Company 2, which is our first strong attack on Call of Duty," EA Europe Senior Vice President Jens Uwe Intat said in an interview with MCV.

"The shooter space is one we don't want to give up. It's an important genre and we were the number one," he continued. "So we are certainly working on how we can get that crown back and Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is an important product in that context. The franchise is strong, with a good product record."

When I first saw the headline I assumed that the revamped Medal of Honor would be EA's weapon of choice and not the online shooter from DICE, which is respected but hardly a genre killer. After watching some of the videos at the Bad Company 2 website, however, particularly the Panama Canal gameplay trailer, I can't help but think that maybe Intat is onto something. "If any of our studios can take on Modern Warfare then it's DICE," he added.

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is scheduled for release on March 2 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.

Let me point out that ever since I saw gameplay videos for Bad Company 2, I immediately saw it as vastly superior to MWII.

Although, it's all down to words and specs right now, the final word isn't till BC2 is playable and in the hands of the people.

If there's anyone capable of tackling the money shitting behemoth that Call of Duty became, I'd say that's undoubtedly the Bad Company franchise.

I hope this outsells MW2 on pc, that would really shove it to IW. Yeah take that while you sit on your tonnes of bank notes not caring.

I think this is great. Too giants going at each other to compete who's got the better game means better game expereinces for players, more or better future DLC and much more care and time being put in the creation and polishing of games.

Hmmm, i like Medal Of Honor, but i also like Call of Duty. But which one is better?

There's only one way to find out..............

FIGHT!

Fox KITSUNE:
I think this is great. Too giants going at each other to compete who's got the better game means better game expereinces for players, more or better future DLC and much more care and time being put in the creation and polishing of games.

Definetly, if anything it will push them to work harder and to make better games. Competition breeds good and fresh ideas!

Jaredin:

Fox KITSUNE:

Definetly, if anything it will push them to work harder and to make better games. Competition breeds good and fresh ideas!

I agree, the more furious this competition gets the better quality games we are given :D

GOOOOO EA GOOOOOO

Never thought I'd say this but... Go EA!

Eeee, that felt dirty.

i never thought i'd be supporting EA

Bad company 2 is without a doubt better than MW2 but I still hate EA. I will support IW to the end no matter what stupid shit they pull.

The problem with the Battlefield franchise - when compared to something like Modern Warfare 2, is that it's not casual enough. Modern Warfare 2 has a huge movie-like story, fast easy-to pick up and play gameplay and a sense of progression whatever you do.

Battlefield can try to copy that sense of progression, but by its very nature large scale team battles aren't going to attract the same attention as small, fast paced games that anyone can play. What's more, Battlefields last title in this franchise (Bad Company) was a terrible failure - an extremely poor single player campaign with a sometimes fun multi-player; not really the sort of game you want to compete with Modern Warfare 2's adrenaline-rush style gameplay. However, the success of the spin-off 1943 might have given the series sufficient public knowledge to get a large number of sales - who knows?

Medal of Honour might have a better chance as it's a more console-orientated franchise - even so, many "non-hardcore" (you know what I mean; the sort that don't spend their time discussing games on the internet but play Call of Duty for hours) gamers have never heard of either franchise, and if they have their experiences are mixed (from personal experience).

Sorry EA, I wouldn't go around claiming they can challenge Modern Warfare 2 in terms of sales just yet...

Well, IMHO Bad Company 1 was the worst single/muliplayer game I've ever played, only being beaten by the Uncharted 2 multiplayer (but the singleplayer was good). Unless they changed a lot of things in Bad Company 2, I will continue to think it is a horrible game.

Medal of Honor looks interesting, though.

Ranooth:
Hmmm, i like Medal Of Honor, but i also like Call of Duty. But which one is better?

FIGHT!

Well I'm not gonna top that...

Or am I...

There's only one way to -- NO!

Bad Comadorcrack, You lost the joke, let it go...

Caliostro:
Let me point out that ever since I saw gameplay videos for Bad Company 2, I immediately saw it as vastly superior to MWII.

Although, it's all down to words and specs right now, the final word isn't till BC2 is playable and in the hands of the people.

If there's anyone capable of tackling the money shitting behemoth that Call of Duty became, I'd say that's undoubtedly the Bad Company franchise.

maybe the single player portion alone, dont get me wrong, Bad Company 1's storyline was a mixture of awesome and badass with a shot of Michael Bay to round it out, and if they follow any sort of line as they did in the first, I might get it simply for the single player.

of course multiplayer sucks ass for simple reasons that are in every single online shooter of the same type.

prone, powerful sniper rifles [as in you DIE from a 12.7x99mm round, not run off and insta-heal], and overall squad gameplay, yes it was a good idea, but then again I hate how I tried to tell my team-mates about the rifleman behind him only to find out that he doesn't have a mic. not only that, but you can only talk to the 4 people in your squad, so there is no cross squad tactics you can even think about using.

if they even just fix the squad thing, I might try out the online part, but besides that, a rent for me.

Fox KITSUNE:

hopefully it wont make one of the competitors shut down, that would be bad.

I mean, after EA just laid off tons of employees and everything, its plausible.

what would stop whoever won from making crap cash-outs of the franchise [note the irony, Battlefield started as a straight forward multiplayer game set in war zones from some of the biggest wars in history, Call of Duty was a great single player game with solid stories].

I have always been a fan of the DICE games BF2 2142 and soon to be BC2. I have enjoyed countless hours of intense online combat and look forward to many many more with BC2.

Don't get me wrong, I think EA is the devil. But that can't stop them from producing soul devouringly fun games.

I will buy the game as I want to choose the lesser evil.

Or in this case, the lesser asshole.

Ranooth:

FIGHT!

BATTLE ROYALE!

Fixed

Ranooth:

FIGHT!

Harry Hill ftw.

Looks cool...I'll wait to see the response before buying.

Coaxill:
Bad company 2 is without a doubt better than MW2 but I still hate EA. I will support IW to the end no matter what stupid shit they pull.

Despite them reducing the quality of your gaming experience, you'll let them walk all over you?

I'm absolutely no fanboy, but I don't really see how Bad Company II is going to win over MW2...

Andy Chalk:
Panama Canal gameplay trailer

Aw hell, and I already loved the Battlefield Moments video's, but that one takes those and trumps them a thousandfold.

I'm really quite confident in this game as well. It sounds and feels a lot heavier than MW2. I think you can compare MW2's gameplay to more special ops style battles, while BBC is truly warfare.

Edit: Damn, I didn't know they released a new Battlefield Moments video's, and that's even more awesome:

Gods I want this game, MW2 just cannot offer awesomeness like this.

well, i truly hope BC2 becomes almost as popular as CoD has, just to ensure i can get a full game

BC1 was pretty damn fun, even in MP if you knew that it helps to shoot the round thing above their shoulders (the head).
I still love BC1, even though i got almost as far as possible in its online, it still is A LOT of fun.

I can already see the modern combat shooter starting to repeat itself...it isn't long before the genre will become unpopular, just like all videogame trends. And not a moment too soon.

great, lets hope they dont make the game great yet impossible to play due to crashing and random glitches

fuckers

Bad Company Two doesn't appear to have retained ANY of the hilarious charm of the first game.

I have not seen a single funny or parody trailer for this game - no Sweetwater and no "GOOOOOLD!" moments. Why change the winning forumula for a formula that when put to this title looks cheesy and out of character. So no, I don't think it will beat MW2.

As long as BC2 uses fantasy guns that will never be in service (see pic in OP) then I won't be very attracted to it. That and the last Battlefield game I bought had the rediculous punk buster software for the PC which made online play useless.

My first taste of battlefield was battlefield 2142, and that instantly became on of my favorite online shooters. Nothing better then having vast levels with 64 people

Bad Company held onto (for the most part) the stuff that i liked in 2142 so bc2 would be welcomed on my pc

Ranooth:

FIGHT!

watch hary hill? hehe thats a funny show XD

OT: somehow doubt it, but hey never know. COD is a HUGE franchise and it will be hard to outsell it...but nothing is impossible, unless we talk about walking on the sun or eating mountains

dommyuk:

Coaxill:

Despite them reducing the quality of your gaming experience, you'll let them walk all over you?

That would be true if we supported EA.

Lesser evil= Modern warfare imo.

I'm not too great when it comes to that type of shooter so I intend on trying the PC beta and demo when that happens and I'll decide from there if I want to get Bad Company 2. I will say DICE actually making a demo and doing a beta does make me favor them at least a little bit.

Plank of Wood:
Bad Company Two doesn't appear to have retained ANY of the hilarious charm of the first game.

I have not seen a single funny or parody trailer for this game - no Sweetwater and no "GOOOOOLD!" moments. Why change the winning forumula for a formula that when put to this title looks cheesy and out of character.

I remember the ads from the first Bad Company game (all the ads were great and still are) and it kind of saddens me that there hasn't been a shred of promotion for the new game at all like what they did for the first one.

They could make Timesplitters 4. Pull it off right and it could be the dominant online console shooter.

Plank of Wood:

I have not seen a single funny or parody trailer for this game - no Sweetwater and no "GOOOOOLD!" moments. Why change the winning forumula for a formula that when put to this title looks cheesy and out of character. So no, I don't think it will beat MW2.

The hilarious charm is for the singleplayer, we haven't seen a whole lot about the singleplayer from BBC2 yet. I hope that'll come, but seeing as they want to bring the fight on MW2's lawn, it's not surprisingly they're throwing us to death with (incredibly awesome) multiplayer footage.

Provided the single player campaign is good, I'll be happy. As it was - BFBC1 wasn't good (for me) because the single player campagin was...dull. The story - that was good, but the actual missions were just dull for me.

Weapons - keep it to weapons that are actually in service/will be in a 1/2 years time. For me - I'd like to see a member of the SA80 family appear. Unlikely to happen I know, but I can hope. Its just such a cool weapon... If it appears - I will love EA. And any bad word I've said about EA before (here/elsewhere) will be removed.

As it is - I'm sorry, but I just can't see BFBC taking away MW2's top spot on FPS. It could just be the people I game with - but I just can't see it happening. MW2, and CoD in general just seems more casual than any of the BFs.

All they have to do is add dedicated servers and they win. Instantly. Oh, and have a good game etc. MW2 was just lame imo.

PayJ567:
I hope this outsells MW2 on pc, that would really shove it to IW. Yeah take that while you sit on your tonnes of bank notes not caring.

I agree with 100% of this post.

Cod4 was good, Cod 5 was bad, cod6 was even worse.
BF:BC was good, lets hope BC2 carries on with this trend... and the blowing up buildings one.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here