Sega Trades Project Needlemouse Info for Sonic Trivia

Sega Trades Project Needlemouse Info for Sonic Trivia

Do you want information on Project Needlemouse, the upcoming retro-inspired 2D Sonic the Hedgehog? If so, you'll have to muster all twelve remaining Sonic fans for a bout of trivia with the overlords at Sega.

In case you aren't familiar with the idea, I present to you the Sonic Cycle, which generally goes like this: 1.) A new Sonic game is announced, promising a return to the series' roots and the Hedgehog's triumphant return from languishing in mediocrity. 2.) Screencaps surface showing all of Sonic's old friends - who people don't like playing with as much as the classic Blue Blur (and Tails and Knuckles, naturally) - as well as the new ones, and anticipation begins to wane. 3.) The game comes out, is crap, fans bitterly complain that they will never be fooled again, see (Step 1).

While the secretive Project Needlemouse has Step 1 down pat, it seems as though Sega is taking a different tack on Step 2. On the official Sega Blog, it was announced that the upcoming week would feature multiple reveals for Needlemouse - who the playable characters were, who the figure in the logo was, and all that jazz - as long as fans can answer trivia questions about the past Sonic games.

But the interesting - and kind of hilarious - part is the format in which the "character reveals" will happen: The logo features all the potential playable characters, and if the community meets the collective trivia challenge, the site will be updated with stamps over the names that aren't in the game. So effectively, the promotion department at Sega is telling us who won't be in the game, which is sort of amusing given the infamous Cycle.

One can only hope that at the end of the week, there's only one name left remaining. Well, maybe two - "Sonic's New Friend Mr. Needlemouse" sounds awfully enticing.

That makes a lot of sense? Though I must admit the sonic levels in unleashed weren`t that bad

Ahh man its good to hear the old "Segaaaaa".

No Knuckles? Ah come on he's the best one!

Just Sonic, Tails and fucking Knuckles.

Edit - Who the hell is Big the cat?

Sir Ollie:

He was playable in Sonic Adventure for dreamcast, he fished for his frog the entire game..I will kill my self if he makes it in.

No Espio?

Or any Robots?

Or Eggman?

Or Tails or Knuckles for that matter?

Yet they have Sonics own name up there, surely hes going to be in it?

Speed Returns? OH, FUCK YOU SEGA!

Come oon, you still didn't figure it out, did you?

Step One: Remake Adventure 1 and 2 with better camera
Step Two: Release on all platforms as full price combo game
Step Three: Make mint

coxafloppin:

Sir Ollie:

He was playable in Sonic Adventure for dreamcast, he fished for his frog the entire game..I will kill my self if he makes it in.

No Espio?

Or any Robots?

Or Eggman?

That's the thing man....the silhouette up there in the logo......

As far as I can tell it doesn't actually look like Sonic and that's something that's had me worried for a while as I'm one of those twelve remaining fans.

lordlee:
Step One: Remake Adventure 1 and 2 with better camera
Step Two: Release on all platforms as full price combo game
Step Three: Make mint

Profit all araound...yay!

coxafloppin:

No Espio?

Or any Robots?

Or Eggman?

I want Robotnik back, that sounded more sinister.. And while I am fantasising I want the good old Character deisgns back, along with good plattforming and good storys.

anthony87:

coxafloppin:

Sir Ollie:

No Espio?

Or any Robots?

Or Eggman?

That's the thing man....the silhouette up there in the logo......

As far as I can tell it doesn't actually look like Sonic and that's something that's had me worried for a while as I'm one of those twelve remaining fans.

It may not look like modern sonic, it kinda resembles the older fatter sonic from the 90's tho.

Imagine it was Crash Bandicoot, You would shit bricks (Impossible i know, but its something ive allways wanted)

Sir Ollie:

I did miss it so.

TheNumber1Zero:

Sir Ollie:

I did miss it so.

I miss the fast taling Sega myself

A 2D sonic game huh? Hopefully it will be better than the ones that were on the GBA.

Sir Ollie:

O those were the days.

On a madder note, why are Big and Froggy split up? You can't have one without the other!

Ahem, permission to point out the obvious sir?

And another obvious point:

There are 10 non-Sonic names. 10 is a good number for a trivia quiz.

My guess it is counts down to just "Sonic" and the crowd goes wild...

(Call me an old guy or a GameGear/Megadrive purist, but they lost me at Tails.)

I'm thinking that Sega saw how well New Super Mario Bros Wii has done and thought. "Hey, we could go back to the 2D thing right?"

While I liked Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, I would just really like a Sonic game that doesn't have a huge ensamble cast. Here's to hoping they get back to just an awesome 2D game.

Sir Ollie:

A big, rather dim purple feline whose story mode in Sonic Adventure consisted of fishing for Froggy (his best friend) in various locations.
Oh, and if Froggy is playable I'm going to kill someone - although I'm not too thrilled by the idea of Chip or Charmy making a reappearance either.
And Tikal, last time we saw her, was living happily with Chaos - why would she come back?
Who the hell is Shade?

dekkarax:
Ahem, permission to point out the obvious sir?

Not even i spoted that and im STILL playing the old games. good eye sir.

DragonsAteMyMarbles:

Sir Ollie:

A big, rather dim purple feline whose story mode in Sonic Adventure consisted of fishing for Froggy (his best friend) in various locations.
Oh, and if Froggy is playable I'm going to kill someone - although I'm not too thrilled by the idea of Chip or Charmy making a reappearance either.
And Tikal, last time we saw her, was living happily with Chaos - why would she come back?
Who the hell is Shade?

Shade is a Echidna (like Knucles)but form a opposing clan, She has only been in Sonic chronicles by Bioware

Unless I see ACTUAL GAME-PLAY I'll keep my squeeing to a minimal.

"Sonic's New Friend Mr. Needlemouse"... wow sega... just wow... there are no words for how retarded that looks. So retarded it makes Big the Cat look normal, that's quite an achievement GEE I WONDER IF THIS CHARACTER WILL BE IN THE GAME LOLOLOLOLOLOL

I'm not impressed yet, I'm thinking this will basically be sonic rush in games console style instead of portable.

S_K:

Shade is a Echidna (like Knucles)but form a opposing clan, She has only been in Sonic chronicles by Bioware

She also has quite possibly the least imaginative name ever.

Especially in a series which already has a character called Shadow.

But then hey, Bioware, been remaking the same fucking game since Neverwinter Nights.

1 Smith:

Playable Froggy would be awesome.

Better than Big anyway.

/wants Blaze back.

So Charmy and Chip are gone. I don't care if Charmy was a character from the old games, but he was as annoying as hell in Heroes. Good riddance.

The only character (other than Sonic) who deserves a place in the game would be Amy. The roster should be Sonic - Tails - Knuckles - Amy - Unlockable Metal Sonic.

You know my problem with Sonic?

I'M SICK OF FIGHTING DEITYS! Seriously, fat ginger man was good enough, why does Sonic need to fight Gods, and secondly, how the feck can he? He's just fast!

They need to make Sonic an arrogant twat, give him a British accent and make him like a typical 15 year old (which is how old he apparently is). That would be cool.

Anyway despite being a retro Sonic fan at heart, I lost interest in the series after being fucked over with Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic Riders and then SATSR. Sonic Heroes wasn't bad IMO. Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 were good...well, the Sonic/Shadow stages were at least.

Calllllled it!

Heh, train wreck seems spot on.

I still have hope, especially after the day levels in Unleashed, they weren't that bad.

Wouldn't it be nice if they remade Sonic 1 - Knuckles in full 3D, made it good, placed them all on one disk, add the replayability with being able to play as just Tales or Knuckles too, add some Tales or Knuckles exclusive levels and have an opening and ending for each game in pre rendered cutscene.
Have multiplayer racing again cause that was fun, have splitscreen and and online.

OOH I like my idea :p

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here