Sesame Street Returns to Edu-Gaming

Sesame Street Returns to Edu-Gaming

Everyone's favorite fuzzy monsters will be educating on consoles worldwide.

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment recently announced a deal with the Sesame Workshop to develop games based on Sesame Street. The games will be educational, just like the television series which has over four thousand episodes under its belt and has been going strong since 1969.

Specifically mentioned by Warner Bros. were "preschool console games" that would mix Sesame Street characters with "particular types of curriculum." There weren't any other age groups mentioned, so as of now we aren't going to see anything that kids above the age of five would want to play. No specific details have been revealed, so this deal appears to be in its infancy.

I would think that Sesame Street videogames could also hit a slightly older target audience, but I suppose at a certain point kids may outgrow the program. I wouldn't mind seeing videogames similar to the Lego series that are appealing and educational for kids but also well made products at the same time. At the very least, I want to see some effort put into the Sesame Street games rather than them becoming another reason to throw up when you look at the shelves of the local videogame store.

My ultimate dream would be to see a sandbox style game with Sesame Street characters, perhaps playing as Grover in his journey to become more than a second-tier character. If only you all knew how close he came to being "Tickle Me Grover," but Elmo swooped in a stole that spotlight. Snuffleupagus and Big Bird could give him missions. You could visit Bert and Ernie's house and settle the two's differences once and for all. You could eat cookies with Cookie Monster and count with the Count. Yes, my Sesame Street game would be amazing, but maybe not as educational as the Sesame Workshop and Warner Bros. plan to make theirs.

(Via: GoNintendo)

n is for noob, pwn the noobs.

it sounds like good news for all of us with younger nephew and nieces who's minds we want to corrupt.

I'd happily learn the alphabet again on Sesame Street.

Nostalgia makes me do a lot of things.

R is for Rage quitting, which you will see a lot

They lost my respect when they turned the Cookiemonster into the Veggiemonster...

I grew up with that show...

Jark212:
They lost my respect when they turned the Cookiemonster into the Veggiemonster...

Wait... what? They did what?!

Mr. Grey:

Jark212:

yeah hes a health freak now, makes sense, its a show made to teach kids good values, and since childhood obesity and diabetes is a serious problem in America it was a very positive step from the creators.

swaki:

Mr. Grey:

Jark212:

yeah hes a health freak now, makes sense, its a show made to teach kids good values, and since childhood obesity and diabetes is a serious problem in America it was a very positive step from the creators.

Then make a character more lovable and popular than Ronald McDonald, make him repeat how fast food is only good in moderate consumptions of once a month or better yet not at all. That seems more successful and less likely to start a war with the Keebler Elves.

Does no one respect the Keebler Elf Treaty of 1910?!

Mr. Grey:

Jark212:

I may have overreacted...

http://www.businesspundit.com/cookie-monster-hasnt-turned-into-veggie-monster-but-he-does-eat-a-balanced-diet/

Jark212:

Mr. Grey:

Jark212:

I may have overreacted...

http://www.businesspundit.com/cookie-monster-hasnt-turned-into-veggie-monster-but-he-does-eat-a-balanced-diet/

I moderately approve of this... but not by much.

I can't wait!

Shuddup, you know this is a must buy

I'm skeptical. Nowadays, Sesame Street = Elmo.

Mr. Grey:

swaki:

Mr. Grey:

Jark212:

Then make a character more lovable and popular than Ronald McDonald, make him repeat how fast food is only good in moderate consumptions of once a month or better yet not at all. That seems more successful and less likely to start a war with the Keebler Elves.

yeah...i have no idea what your going on about with the elves, but all the other stuff you said is pretty much exactly what they did, but instead of creating a new character they just used an old one.

swaki:

Mr. Grey:

swaki:

Mr. Grey:

Jark212:

yeah...i have no idea what your going on about with the elves, but all the other stuff you said is pretty much exactly what they did, but instead of creating a new character they just used an old one.

We speak only of the treaty, never the dark events leading to it being formed.

And I can live with this, so long as he says "Gimme a cookie" like a parrot.

I feel that there has been a major void in educational video games with the new generation, so this is fantastic. The Lego series is a GREAT example of one of the fantastic games that are good and fun for children to play but until recently, Sesame Street games have been there since the beginning. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9786F-hdfs&feature=related

It might just be since I'm older and naive to children's entertainment, or it might just be Disney's destruction of anything childlike and innocent, but it is nice to have children's games around again. Give the ESRB a reason to use the 'ol EC rating. Remember that? Me neither.

Will the Sesame Street games feature dedicated servers, or will they **** us over in that department too?

Monkeytacoz:
R is for Rage quitting, which you will see a lot

ninjad again...

I would love to see Grand Theft Auto: Sesame Street
Cookie monster is framed for smuggling crack in his cookies and is imprisoned for ten years, now hes out and he wants revenge

My idea for a Sesame Street game has always been Sesame Street Fighter.

COOKIE MONSTER.

'Sall.

Erana:

I can honestly say that is one of the least educational games I've ever played.

Blackdoom:

And suddenly the world has become a better place, although I'd prefer Sesame Streets of Rage

And actually the Sandbox Sesame Street could probably work out really well.

If you want to teach your children stuff, don't dump them in front of a gaming console.

Blackdoom:

Holy Giant Birds Batman, I want that. Think of the fatalities!

C is for cookie, and cookie is for me~!

lol, Seasme Street, Redux! Sweet!

I've said this before and I'll say it again - edu-tainment has some series potential to become a tool for more mature education as well as just for kids. All you need is quality and sensibility when creating it.

Unfortunately, I have a bad feeling this will just turn out to be cheap crap designed for toddlers.

Tom Goldman:

...games based on Sesame Street. ..

...The games will be educational...

..."preschool console games"...

..."Sesame Street videogames"...

...Sesame Street games...

...a Sesame Street "game"? Does not compute...

GTA Sesame Street. You will buy it.

Are these games gonna be those crappy games where Cookie Monster has to eat cookies that spell "CAT". Or Grover plucking numbers with a fishing pole? Wow, we really need more of that garbage. Attention Parents: They're called flash cards! Get 'em at a school supply store for much cheaper and try parenting your kids yourselves rather than having the idiot box do it.

This episode of Sesame Street has been brought to you by the letters "F" and "U". And by the number "69".

That's.... kinda cool. I sure as hell won't buy it, but at least it should stop a lot of idiot parents comlaining about games. Oh, and I'm all for educating kids and all that shi...

here's an idea ... sesame street meets gta , g is for gun , elmo the pimp ( gee i hate elmo )

yes my friends elmo is evil , he's a very bad monster ... grover's revenge

as for bert and ernie ,for once i'd like to see bert kill ernie , hey ern rubber duckie won't save you ( tosses toaster in tub)

hey streeters lets havea fried chicken picnic , starring big bird as the main coarse

SRY MY ESCAPIST FRIENDS , yeah sounds cool ,lets get kids addicted to gaming early , elmo gets carple tunnel

i could just hear in a grover voice "where's elmo i'm gonna cap his ass"

as for cookie going the healthy way ,no he went to rehab that's why , yeah i know it's bullshit

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here