Writers Guild Announces Best Game Writing Nominations

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Writers Guild Announces Best Game Writing Nominations

The Writers Guild of America announced its five nominations for the Videogame Writing Award of 2009.

The games nominated were Naughty Dog's Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, Ubisoft's Assassin's Creed II, Infinity Ward's Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Bethesda's Wet and Activision's X-Men Origins: Wolverine. The winning game and writing team will be honored on February 20, 2010 during the 2010 Writers Guild Awards ceremony, which is held in Los Angeles and New York concurrently. This is the third year that a Videogame Writing Award will be given out. Last year, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed won the award and the winner in 2007 was Dead Head Fred.

In order to be eligible, the writers must be members of the WGA, the game must be released between December 1, 2008 and November 30, 2009 and it must have separate credits for writers. The award is meant to "encourage storytelling excellence in videogames, to improve the status of writers, and to encourage uniform standards within the gaming industry." The award is becoming more popular, with over double the amount of submissions from developers as the year before.

Here is the full list of nominees with individual credits:

Assassin's Creed II
Story by Corey May
Script Writers Corey May, Joshua Rubin, Jeffrey Yohalem
Published by Ubisoft Entertainment

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
Written by Jesse Stern
Additional Writing by Steve Fukuda
Story by Todd Alderman, Steve Fukuda, Mackey McCandlish, Zied Rieke, Jesse Stern, Jason West
Battlechatter Dialogue by Sean Slayback
Published by Activision

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
Written by Amy Hennig
Published by Sony Computer Entertainment

Wet
Written by Duppy Demetrius
Published by Bethesda Softworks

X-Men Origins: Wolverine
Written by Marc Guggenheim
Published by Activision

Source: Writers Guild

Wet and X-Men? There was nobody else to choose from? Not even Batman:AA?

Modern Warfare 2.

Riiight...

I can't say I agree, to put it at it's mildest.

MW2...wth? Out of all of them I might think Uncharted 2, or perhaps Creed II...but really they are all poor choices.

MW2 and Wet?

What the fuck?

I get the others but what?

Only thing I can support, maybe, is Uncharted, just because the woman who plays Morrigan from DA:O is in it. Which brings me to my next point, where the fuck is Dragon Age? That game might not have had the best writing ever, but it was a hell of a lot better than Wet and X-men.

And Force Unleashed won an award? Maybe I should go look outside to make sure the rivers aren't running red with blood.

Assassin's Creed 2 is a good choice for the shortlist. That has a good story and was written well. The others... I'm slightly more puzzled about.

Where's Dragon Age? I oculd be wrong, but I have a feeling most of the developers aren't part of the writer's guild.

Well.. I didn't buy Modern Warfare 2 because of its story, that's for sure.

I haven't played Wet, X-Men or Uncharted 2, but knowing X-Men and Wet, I'm quite sure I'm not missing out on something. I'd like to check out Uncharted though.

My vote's going to AC2, simply because it's the only game, besides MW2, I have played from the list.

Assassins Creed 2 had so much history added in. pretty much everyone important in that game actually existed. The actual story blew me away too.

I get Uncharted 2 and AC2, but MW2, X-man, and Wet?
Where is Dragon Age: Origins? Even Ratchet and Clank (for its sheer hilarity)!?

im mildly upset that, lets say, wet wins.. And the mainstream media picks up on this they will actually look at that game's story as representation for the writing of the entire medium..
I'm still feel a little uncomfortable if the mainstream media jocks calls us out on things like this (i have low self esteem)...

*reads 5 nominees*

o...kay, then

Soooo, no inFAMOUS and no Dragon Age.
This list = failure.

WET??!?!

Ohh I get it, they're kidding.

Right?

Right guys?

Right?

That's... depressing. We need better game writers

Also, isn't Xmen Origins: Wolverine based on the movie... Xmen Origins: Wolverine?
Direct, non-plagiarism copying gets awards now?

Clearly most of the gaming industry has not made a point to join the Writer's Guild.

What? What is that? That can't be the list. It just can't be. That's not a list, it's a lie! The only one I agree with is Assassin's Creed 2.

If Assassin's Creed 2 doesn't win I will drive my fist through the planet.

woah. did they just pick the first few titles that popped into their head?
AC2 and U2 i can understand, but the other three? WTF

In order to be eligible, the writers must be members of the WGA, the game must be released between December 1, 2008 and November 30, 2009 and it must have separate credits for writers.

That should explain the short list and the nominees...

I suppose you gotta crawl before you can walk, only explanation for that list

However, at least they're trying, that's better than nothing.

Maybe these guys do know what is good writing, and we are unable to tell. They are in a Guild ya know...

\slight sarcasm, maybe

Greg Tito:

The games nominated were Naughty Dog's Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, Ubisoft's Assassin's Creed II, Infinity Ward's Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Bethesda's Wet and Activision's X-Men Origins: Wolverine. [...] Last year, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed won the award and the winner in 2007 was Dead Head Fred.[...]

And then they expect to be taken seriously? They better be writing comedy here...

Greg Tito:

In order to be eligible, the writers must be members of the WGA, the game must be released between December 1, 2008 and November 30, 2009 and it must have separate credits for writers.

Given those criteria, I doubt the shortlist was much longer than those 5 games.

No chance of an award for this little gem, for instance?

i dont really agree with any of these...

oliveira8:
Wet and X-Men? There was nobody else to choose from? Not even Batman:AA?

If you aren't in the guild then you can't get nominated. Which probably explains that.

Something tells me a bit of cash was exchanged during picking the games...

Good lord. What a list of shite.

I mean. I loved most of those as games, but lets face it. Uncharted? WET? These guys must have been payed to choose some of those for writing talent.

Disaster Button:
If Assassin's Creed 2 doesn't win I will drive my fist through the planet.

Says it all really.

I haven't played Dragon Age, but it's Bioware. The superb writing in their games is what sets apart.

MW2 is legit, Creed just maybe. MW2's campaign was fantastic, and in light of playing it, the shortness is sorta like reading a comic book.

MW2?
Why?

sirdanrhodes:
Something tells me a bit of cash was exchanged during picking the games...

Oh.

Unchartered 2 or MW2 :P

Umm...Were these games picked out of a hat?

only ac2 should be there, altho granted I havent played uncharted 2 but where the hell is bowsers inside story or dragon age or even dow2 (granted its writing was heavy handed but it fit the source material perfectly)

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here