Seinfeld Frogger High Score Finally Beaten

Seinfeld Frogger High Score Finally Beaten

A gamer in Westport, Connecticut, has finally broken the world-famous Seinfeld Frogger high score, beating George Constanza's old mark by more than 36,000 points.

For the benefit of those unfamiliar with Seinfeld, allow me to explain. In a 1998 episode entitled "The Frogger," it is revealed that in his teenage years, Jerry's buddy George set a high score of 860,630 on a Frogger machine in an old restaurant, a mark that was somehow still standing when he rediscovered the unit, still in the same eatery, years later. While George's efforts to preserve the classic arcade stand-up ended in predictable failure, his imaginary score remained, seemingly unassailable. It was, after all, a "few hundred thousand" points higher than the real-life high score.

But no longer! Pat Laffaye of Westport, Connecticut has finally done the impossible, smashing Costanza's old mark by a full 36,350 points. His final score, as verified by Twin Galaxies, was 896,980 points, making him the first gamer on record ever to cross the legendary Costanza line.

"The game is elegantly simple at first glance," he told the Westport News. "Just make a little frog cross a road and a river, what's so hard about that? However, its true difficultly is completely disguised in that there are at least a dozen ways to get killed."

Andy Robin, a Seinfeld writer in the 90s (although he didn't participate in this episode) said Frogger was chosen for the show because one of the other writers had once set a record on a Frogger machine in Queens, New York. He added that it was "pretty cool" that someone would make a point of beating a fictional score from so many years ago.

"It's all relative. I think that most people would call it a pointless, lazy man's use of time," said Robin, a self-described gamer. "It speaks a lot about the George Costanza character. I can really identify with George. For me, playing video games is the noblest, most efficient use of human time."

Not everyone was quite as impressed, however. When told about the new record, Jason Alexander, who portrayed George on the show, said, "Mazel Tov, you beat a fictional character with a fictional score. Give your parents back whatever they paid for your college."

via: Game Culture

Wow...That's a really high score. Considering that the score bar has 5 digits from the screenshot.

Yeah...thats, something. Dont know if I should be impressed or not at this. None the less, congrats are in order I suppoxse

Andy Chalk:

Not everyone was quite as impressed, however. When told about the new record, Jason Alexander, who portrayed George on the show, said, "Mazel Tov, you beat a fictional character with a fictional score. Give your parents back whatever they paid for your college."

Brilliant response.

Man, Jason Alexander is kind of a wanker.

A man defeated a god[1]!?

I am in shock and awe! Congratulations to this lass who has proven that life his overestimated.

[1] of complaining about stuff

"Mazel Tov, you beat a fictional character with a fictional score. Give your parents back whatever they paid for your college."

such an evil man.

saejox:

"Mazel Tov, you beat a fictional character with a fictional score. Give your parents back whatever they paid for your college."

such an evil man.

He should be happy to have a fan dedicated enough to remember such a trivial piece of information about a show he loves. Instead, he decides to be a dick about it.

obisean:

saejox:

such an evil man.

He should be happy to have a fan dedicated enough to remember such a trivial piece of information about a show he loves. Instead, he decides to be a dick about it.

Actually looks to me like he is a bit miffed that his long standing high score was beaten - even if it is fictional.

That was a classic, classic Seinfeld episode. And George Costanza should be a hero to all gamers. After all, he's a mostly unemployed loser whose main sources of satisfaction in life come from completely irrelevant accomplishments that nobody else cares about.

Ok, maybe that's just me.

gee i miss those arcade machines and the arcade it came in

anthony87:

Yeah, that was pretty uncalled for.

The_root_of_all_evil:

anthony87:

Yeah, that was pretty uncalled for.

I thought that was especially strange, since it has come out that he considers himself a gamer. Magic: The Gathering, if I remember right, was supposed to be one of his big pastimes. Or was it D&D? Now I can't remember, just that there was a big article about it at one point.

First Kramer with his racist bulls***, now George with such an arrogant line, it's really hard to enjoy Seinfeld when you know the actors are idiots.

Andy Chalk:

"...For me, playing video games is the noblest, most efficient use of human time."

That IS a strange thing to say though... .

I think Mr. Alexander is just jealous that his alter ego had his high score beaten. That's also one of my favourite episodes of Seinfeld. One of the characters is a rogue electrician named Slippery Pete, played by the guy who voice Nilsson from mercs!

Jason Alexander should be grateful none of the pictures of his shrinkage made it on the internet.

On a side note of Seinfeld references, I really saw a cashmere sweater with a red dot in a department store once and wondered if it was deliberate or not.

You spent probably thousand's of dollars in quarters to beat a fictional character's high score. Would you like a cookie

Folks, you should probably assume Jason Alexander made that statement in jest. He is a comedian after all.

SnootyEnglishman:
You spent probably thousand's of dollars in quarters to beat a fictional character's high score. Would you like a cookie

Dude, give him two cookies.

Maybe Jason Alexander was just being sarcastic, after all print is a bit difficult when it comes to conveying levity. Also never watched Seinfeld much. It is a personnel failing.

that's.... I don't have anything other to say than "that kid needs to leave his parents basement"

Meh, some people collect bottle caps in their spare time, others ponder the meaning of life, and some set out to beat fictional high scores set on retro videogames on classic comedy shows. Give the guy a break Jason. Personally, I think playing Poker is a waste of time and money.

That's quite the feat. Nicely done, Pat Laffaye.

As for Jason Alexander, I don't know what his problem is.

Mr Alexander took the words right out of my mouth.

That show sucks anyway.

Mad World:
That's quite the feat.

I don't know what Jason Alexander's problem is, though.

i applaud this man with 100 interwebz and 100 cookies. man that is crazy...

Jason Alexander has kind of sucked at everything that didn't involve him playing George Costanza. He is just very unlikeable, that comment he made is a good example.

He's just upset because Pat just killed independant George.

anthony87:

I totally agree with you. This is a pretty epic achievement, at least in my eyes.

but hey, not all actors are nice people >.>

I never understood what people have against video games.
He could have done far worse with his time and money.

Screw you George!! I hope Jerry himself and the actress who played Elaine are better people.

Andronicus:
Personally, I think playing Poker is a waste of time and money.

Not when it's done to raise money for charity - from your link:

"[Jason Alexander] has appeared twice on Bravo's Celebrity Poker Showdown, winning the final table of the 8th season. In the process, Alexander won $500,000 for United Way of America of the greater New Orleans area, a charity."

As for his comment re. Frogger, I'm in the "He was making a joke" camp.

anthony87:

He's from Hollywood. All people associated with Hollywood are assholes. Why should he be any different?

That's nothing, when someone passes Jeff's impossible score in Missile Command from Chuck then I'll be impressed :p

Good for him.

But Jason seems to be a bit but hurt.

What a sad last comment by a bald sad man who earns his fame by playing a loser.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here