DJ Hero Highest-Grossing New IP of '09, Says Activision

Pages 1 2 NEXT

DJ Hero Highest-Grossing New IP of '09, Says Activision

Thanks to NPD data, publisher Activision has claimed that the relatively unsuccessful DJ Hero was - by pure revenue - the top new IP of 2009 in Europe and the US.

Can we file this one under "Wait, what?" - citing sales data from the fairly-trusted NPD group, Activision has apparently called DJ Hero the top-grossing new IP of 2009 in Europe and the United States. By top-grossing, of course, we're talking pure revenues: How much money did this game earn, not how much was left over once you include the expenses involved in its creation.

Even given that stipulation (since the development of DJ Hero was almost certainly anything but inexpensive), it's a bizarre claim to make. Yes, NPD data is considered fairly trustworthy, but I just don't see how this is in any way possible. DJ Hero was considered a flop, not even selling 200,000 units in October - well under two other new IPs in October, Brutal Legend and Borderlands.

Yes, at $100 DJ Hero cost twice as much as your average new game, but I'd be very surprised if it sold half as many copies as, say, Borderlands' 2 million. This is the sort of thing that it's very unwise for a company to lie on (when hard data can prove it wrong), which makes this claim all the more baffling to understand.

The only thing that comes to mind here is that the message got a bit garbled on the way: Activision may be calling DJ Hero its highest-grossing new IP rather than the highest-grossing new IP across the board. That's still a strange idea, but much less difficult to swallow.

Despite being a financial flop, DJ Hero was well-received by critics (and was actually a ton of fun to play if you gave it a chance, I found), and Activision boss Bobby Kotick expressed commitment to the brand yesterday, saying that we would see a sequel this year.

(Via Edge)

...Wait, what?

Furburt:
...Wait, what?

My thoughts exactly, I think that this has no chance of being the most profitable new IP of 09

wtf? how many fuckhat quotes from Moronvision do we need today, Funk? you must know better!

ehh, go to hell, Bobby Kotick. and that doesnt mean go buy Visceral and ruin Dante´s Inferno.

Lost In The Void:

Furburt:
...Wait, what?

My thoughts exactly, I think that this has no chance of being the most profitable new IP of 09

In all fairness, it's not about being the most *profitable*, but the game with the highest *revenue.* They're talking Gross, not Net.

Which is still hard to believe.

I think this more tells a story of how little new IP there is instead of how good DJ hero is.

Of course, DJ hero was so original with a good music score. Sarcasm mode ending in...
Sarcasm mode ended.

...What the...? DJ hero? I love how they are distorting the figures to make them seem better than they really are. :P

They must be smoking something.....
In all fairness, their twisting words too make investors happy, its what a lot of spokespeople do

Only because the bloody thing cost so much but seriously? The most
Borderlands
I work in GAME shop and the thing sold like hot cakes while we sold about 10 units of DJ hero over the entire quarter
Whatever, Activision I hate you so much these days I am starting to stop buying your games regardless of how good they are. Missed out on the last guitar hero's because of how much I hate the company

Funk, I'm sure we can file this in Activision's "bullshit" department.

First off, bullshit. Also, can we really call D.J Hero an IP? It's just a new controller. Was Rock Band an IP? New name. You have drums. You have a mic, which was actually stolen from singstar. Same thing, no?

John Funk:

Lost In The Void:

Furburt:
...Wait, what?

In all fairness, it's not about being the most *profitable*, but the game with the highest *revenue.* They're talking Gross, not Net.

Alright fair enough but I still don't see how they could even claim gross. If Borderlands sold 2mill at $70 that's 140 million in profit. In order to beat that, DJ hero would have to move 1.4 million units. I'm still really confused as to how Activision can make this claim, though you seem to be in the same mindset as me

Christemo:
wtf? how many fuckhat quotes from Moronvision do we need today, Funk? you must know better!

ehh, go to hell, Bobby Kotick. and that doesnt mean go buy Visceral and ruin Dante´s Inferno.

Dante's Inferno is bad already. It's purely hype that will make it sell a lot. If the demo is to be believed (And I am sure it will be), the game will be a gigantic cluster fuck (And not the good kind, like Bayonetta) where you can't see what's happening on screen, leading to button smashing galore. Also, the graphics look a little on the last-gen side, but that doesn't matter much. Bobby is hardly the devil everyone says he is.
OT: Assuming I understood this correctly, DJ Hero made around 20,000,000 in sales. That's actually pretty good for a game that a lot of people expected to do bad. It's not great, but it's better than nothing.

The Rockerfly:
Only because the bloody thing cost so much but seriously? The most
Borderlands
I work in GAME shop and the thing sold like hot cakes while we sold about 10 units of DJ hero over the entire quarter
Whatever, Activision I hate you so much these days I am starting to stop buying your games regardless of how good they are. Missed out on the last guitar hero's because of how much I hate the company

That makes sense. Quit playing games that are only published by a company, because of one person? I bet you stopped playing Valve games all together when you heard they were only releasing one new campaign for Left 4 Dead.

John Funk:

Lost In The Void:

Furburt:
...Wait, what?

Not when you filter out the fact that they said "New IP" - I think Activison only had 1 new IP this year (i.e. DJ Hero) so its not hard for them to have the highest revenue for a new Activison IP ;).

John Funk:

Lost In The Void:

Furburt:
...Wait, what?

yeah, seriously either way...Someone forget to carry a 1 somewhere?

This is hardly surprising given the price tag.

And DJ Hero is actually very good. Most people don't even give a chance, but it appeals more to me cause Guitar Hero has pretty much been dominated by Rock and Metal, whereas DJ Hero is dominated by electronic/dance and hip hop, which I much prefer.

And if you don't think the Daft Punk Megamixes are awesome, I pity you.

It ships for £100-130 ($160-210 roughly) here in Englishland, normal games are going for £35-40ish. It wouldn't surprise me if it was highest or close at three times the going rate... then again, they could just be making it up as they go. Or using a really narrow definition like 'new IP with an expensive plastic peripheral'.

Off topic: What have you done with Haro Mr Funk?

But... that's.... wha... how... can't... WHAT?!
User "DragonsAteMyMarbles" has encountered a problem and needs to shut down. We apologise for the inconvenience.

Wasn't there only about 5 NEW I.P.s last year though?

it may be Activisions best, i cant think of any new games they released in 09 beside dj hero, i may be wrong as i rarely bother to remember which studio released the games i play, but they seemed very sequel focused this year.

Activision are performing some very special financial tricks here to get away with this.

All the same, I rather like DJ Hero. It's pretty good.

Even with just Activision this makes no sense, there's no way DJ Hero made more than Prototype

pantsoffdanceoff:
I think this more tells a story of how little new IP there is instead of how good DJ hero is.

This was my first thought after reading the title.
Surely the fact that it cost twice as much as anything else had something to do with that?

either its a error in wording somewhere along the way like you said...

or activision now live in their own little world where only they are, and theyre always top...

John Funk:

The only thing that comes to mind here is that the message got a bit garbled on the way: Activision may be calling DJ Hero its highest-grossing new IP rather than the highest-grossing new IP across the board. That's still a strange idea, but much less difficult to swallow.

This stuck out for me, how many new IP's did Activision release in 2009?, has anyone got a list?

1.79m.

That's the sales according to VGChartz.

Activision need to justify their commitment to the IP ofcourse(referring to revenue and not sales), but just short of 1.8m doesn't seem so bad for a flop that's over twice the price of the majority of it's competitors.

It's an excellent game btw.

Should it even count as a new IP? That's like saying you've invented a new kind of car when you've just replaced the steering wheel with a prosthetic leg and doubled the price.

As much fun as I had when playing Dj Hero, I can't believe this to be true. I don't own the game, not many do. Dj Hero is a prime example of that game that one kid on campus owns and everyone goes to his dorm and plays it for a week or two, then they lose interest.

brunothepig:
First off, bullshit. Also, can we really call D.J Hero an IP? It's just a new controller. Was Rock Band an IP? New name. You have drums. You have a mic, which was actually stolen from singstar. Same thing, no?

That's like saying Borderlands isn't a new IP because you shoot things. Derivative though it may be, DJ Hero is, in fact, new IP because there hasn't been a DJ Hero game previously. "New IP" does not mean innovative, it simply means it's not a sequel or spinoff (i.e., Viva Pinata Party Animals wouldn't be new IP, as it's just part of the Viva Pinata family).

It's nice to know that Activision have stopped playing with the truth and are just plain lying now.

The only way this could be true, is if it's Activision's highest grossing IP of '09, not across all Publishers/Developers, but just under Activision.

Otherwise, BS.

I'm actually surprised they set up demos of it in best buy for DJ Hero. Everyone I know tried it and hated it, and plenty of random people look at it and laugh.

It's a great game. I'll admit I probably wouldn't have bought it if I didn't get it for Christmas, though.

But I did, and it's awesome.

This is rubbish, this does not take into account how much money it takes the manufacture the bloody DJ things. It can make alot of money, but if you spend it all you still end up with a net profit of zilch.

(Cost to consumer-Cost to you)X Total Number of Sales= Total profit)

There's probably a bunch of extra shit in that equation that I don't know about.

This is still probably the top new IP for Activision because let's be frank, what other new IP'S did they have?

I think they're pulling BS statistics in order to hide the fact that their game was a HUGE FLOP.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here