Homemade Star Trek Phaser Owns Balloons

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Homemade Star Trek Phaser Owns Balloons

Laser technology has led to the development of a replica Star Trek phaser that actually works.

Laser Pointer Forum member Jayrob has created a fully working Star Trek phaser replica that is powerful enough to easily pop balloons. He uses a Kirk-era phaser, giving it an old-school charm, and it even makes the proper sounds.

Judging by the video, it appears to be a Type-II Hand Phaser from the year 2266, but I wouldn't know off the top of my head because I'm more of a Next Generation man myself. Jayrob created a phaser in the past that used a green beam, but it's not as powerful as this one due to some sort of new custom focus adapter.

Jayrob isn't the stingy type that wants to keep the secrets of his phaser all to himself, he's written complete tutorials (found through the earlier forum links) and even offers help getting some of the parts. The Escapist also showed you how to make a phaser last year, but Jayrob's is amplified and looks even scarier. If you do take it upon yourself to build a phaser, just make sure you get proper eye protection. These phasers won't stun with a single shot or completely evaporate human beings into dust like they should, but the human eyeball won't come out unscathed if it takes a hit. I hereby request that someone make a Next Generation version.

(Via Gizmodo)

It looks like those PS3 parts are going to be good for more than cracking passwords.

The real issue is whether this will be effective against the Borg or not.

Whooaa, sweet. Gotta be careful with those reflective surfaces, though.

That'll teach any alien races that just happen to have the physical composition of a baloon.
Yeah...

I have never watched any Star Trek, but I've got to say that that phaser is awsome.

Nifty - I guess we know who to call when Earth is invaded by a race of sentient balloons. But what if they were mirrored balloons?!

That'll teach those Balloons for getting out of line! Maybe next time they'll think before they sleep with mah Woman! But they Can't... Cos they're dead!

Now what would happen if it was a reflective balloon?.

You got to be prepared for they know everything!.

Yeah I read this up in a Maximum PC magazine I also had the instructions but I lost the sheet...

wow, i must make one of these. And soon

Definitely awesome. Props to the man that developed that thing, he's a tribute to all that is good in the world.

Oh, good lord.
Soon, the nerds shall rise up, and defeat the entire world, using replica weapons. Mind you, I believe I'm counted as a nerd, so I don't see why I'm worried.

Somebody get me my Blood Dragon Armour and longsword, I have some people to help.

Quite impressive. I'm really hoping that someday, someone will whip out one of these babies to temporarily/permanently blind a mugger.

This is the future of guns. I just know it.

It would suck if you hit a mirror, though.

That was nothing but immensely cool.And I donīt even like Star Trek.

Guess my boss at work is going to want one now.

Awesome.
If only we could build one that could do that to people, or glass at the very least.

A portable laser eye surgery machine. It will make millions.

hazabaza1:
Oh, good lord.
Soon, the nerds shall rise up, and defeat the entire world, using replica weapons. Mind you, I believe I'm counted as a nerd, so I don't see why I'm worried.

Somebody get me my Blood Dragon Armour and longsword, I have some people to help.

Sean B.:
Yeah I read this up in a Maximum PC magazine I also had the instructions but I lost the sheet...

You... you fool!

The instructions to ruling the universe were in your hands, and you lost them!

What can I say...

Tom Goldman:
Jayrob created a phaser in the past that used a green beam, but it's not as powerful as this one due to some sort of new custom focus adapter.

Incorrect. The focus adapter makes any laser no matter the wavelength more powerful by preventing ambient scattering and interference. What makes a blue laser more powerful than a green laser is the narrower wavelength and therefore a higher power in the coherent beam.

Remember, in order of decreasing wavelength and increasing power, it's ROYGBIV.

(edited because the coffee made me more exact)

tmujir955:

hazabaza1:
Oh, good lord.

Yes, that Dragon age Armour and sword shall do fine.

*Muahahahahahahahahahahahhaahahaha*

How does that pop balloons? Seriously, I want to know what about that makes it pop balloons. Cos that is the most awesome thing I have ever seen, I want one of those things.

Ah, just think of all the latex based products you could destroy.

Oh...
I want one. I really want one.
Although probably not as much as some things...
I need to get that cute figurine... huh?
Haaauuuuuuu~

Nerdtastic!

I'll take 5!

SaintWaldo:

Tom Goldman:
Jayrob created a phaser in the past that used a green beam, but it's not as powerful as this one due to some sort of new custom focus adapter.

Incorrect. The focus adapter makes any laser no matter the wavelength more powerful by preventing ambient scattering and interference. What makes a blue laser more powerful than a green laser is the narrower wavelength and therefore a higher power in the coherent beam.

Though potentially, in terms of home-made lasers, being able to focus the beam more precisely might possibly improve a laser's effectiveness, no? But yeah, blue is better :)

Those Aren't Muskets.

SaintWaldo:

Tom Goldman:

This is true, but the electronics driving the laser diode is also to blame. Wattage is king when it comes to laser products, and the hard truth is that higher wattage just costs too damn much in red and green diodes. This is partially due to excess heat, and partially from the process used to make diodes being rather limited.

Besides, blue lasers look way cooler.

LTK_70:
Whooaa, sweet. Gotta be careful with those reflective surfaces, though.

Yeah, lol

None the less...I WANT!

A high powered modded laser. Fun...

Logic dictates that's really cool.

Even fan-made phasers look better than the originals, Dear lord I have to make myself one of these

I still assert that wavelength is the first order force affecting power here.

CaptainCrunch:

SaintWaldo:

Tom Goldman:

This is true, but the electronics driving the laser diode is also to blame. Wattage is king when it comes to laser products, and the hard truth is that higher wattage just costs too damn much in red and green diodes. This is partially due to excess heat, and partially from the process used to make diodes being rather limited.

Besides, blue lasers look way cooler.

And a higher wavelength would need higher power...so I don't see your distinction. Wavelength of the light is the inverse proportion that drives this; wattage driving the diode is subordinate to the needs of the _diode_ not the other way around. To pull numbers out of this air just to prove the point, 5 watts won't drive a red laser that needs 10, just as 10 watts won't drive a blue laser that needs 20. The diode and its wavelength determine both input and output power. And both increase as wavelength decreases. Wavelength is the first order factor.

I will agree with your color preference. Blue lasers and LEDs are truly awesome looking lil' buggers, imo.

I'm suddenly terrifed of Trekkies everywere....

Seriously though thats really cool, i would LOVE to try that thing myself.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here