Dr. Phil Yells At Woman For Her FarmVille Addiction

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Dr. Phil Yells At Woman For Her FarmVille Addiction

As part of his trends for 2010 show, Dr. Phil examined one woman's addiction to the Facebook application, FarmVille, calling it a "a ridiculous computer game."

Dr. Phillip McGraw is a popular American talk show host known for dealing with people's relationship or personality problems. He's also pompous as hell. In a recent show, he tackled a terrible affliction currently gripping the nation in its hay-covered grasp, the Facebook application FarmVille. Dr. Phil asked his guest, a mother named Teresa, the hard-hitting questions on her battle with growing crops and raising chickens.

"Are you worried about your crops as you sit here?" he said.

"Before I came here, I made sure that none of the crops were going to die," Teresa replied.

"There aren't really any crops," Dr. Phil informed her. "That's just a little image on a screen. They're not going to die."

Thanks for pointing that out, Doc. Now you're going to tell me that those people on the picture box telling me to kill my family aren't real either. Sheesh! And they call you doctor.

In all honesty, Teresa has resorted to some tricky business to get her daughter off the computer. "She unplugged the router, so you would think the Internet had gone down, and as soon as you went away, she plugged it back in and went back to tending her crops," Dr. Phil told the daughter, Jennifer.

I'm sorry, Doc, but nobody likes a tattle-tale. Are you going to tell Jennifer's mom that she smoked a cigarette that one time on a dare or that she went to second base with Ricky behind the bleachers on Friday night? I didn't think so.

Dr. Phil did say one thing I agree with:

You have a ridiculous addiction to a ridiculous computer game that's interfering with your ability to be a mother. Close your accounts. Get out of FarmVille. Reintroduce yourself to your family. Cook a meal. Go on a date. Go to a movie. Go jog. Go sit out in the backyard and watch the grass grow. Do something. Actually, maybe start a garden for real.

You'll notice that none of that advice includes watching Dr. Phil's show.

Source: Dr. Phil

+1 RESPECT POINTS
good job, farmville is bad, get the depraved freaks off it!
and DOESN'T advise one to watch his show, holy shit, x2 respect points combo!

+10 rep farmville SUCKS dr phil just gained respect with me rofl.

MR T3D:
+1 RESPECT POINTS

Agreed.

Now, let's make sure he doesn't talk bad about games we actually like. :P

FarmVille is stupid, but he didn't have to be so bloody insensitive. You can get addicted to games just as easily as something not 'pathetic' like gambling.

Anyway, I thought he was supposed to help people? Yelling at someone and telling them to get a grip does fuck all.

Farmville is stupid. Going outside and "watching the grass grow" is worse.

Wow that mom is crazy. +1 for ripping the mom to shreds

Dr Phil-Stupid woman on ya vidya games, you should be out having affairs with other women, like me.

What, we're taking this guy seriously now?

Anyway, she's stupid for being addicted to that game, he's stupid because of what he does, and I'm stupid for talking about it.

There, done.

Hmph. Always like that guy. You don't need to use fancy psychobabble to know what's right and what's wrong.

And Farmville is wrong.

Also, while you are at it. Ignore anything that a stupid TV hack tells you and do what makes you happy. "Dr" Phil my ass. I remember back when you had to earn the title Doctor and it actually meant something.

I thought the new one was "Fishville" or something. One of my friends left a party once, (yes a fucking party) to go home and feed his fish.

I've never played Farmville and neither do I intend to at any point...
But... I have watched a little of Dr. Phil's regular show a few times when I was really bored and there was nothing else on except another reality show... oh wait.
Anyway, I just find it strange that people are taking relationship/marriage advice from this guy, when his own marriage failed. Idiots.

Dr Fail is not qualified to talk about anything. At all. Ever.

But yeah Farmville sucks.

Doesn't matter what game she was playing.
If it stops you being a functioning parent it should stop, whether it be a game or whatever.

Haven't played Farmville, so I can't comment on it. I can be annoyed at the amount of lost virtual cows my friends have let their fucking game message me about though.

You know that is also ridiculous.DR.Phil.

Lol bout time farm ville aint real gaming and aint isn't a real word either lol

Dr. Phil is a tool. And an incompetent such at that.

P.S
Though FarmVille is stupid.
D.S

Hahaha, I wanna see the video of this.

Dr. Phil just got a whole lot more respect.

Why is everyone hating Dr.Phil (except for being a snitch)
Anyways I agree, my mom needs to learn to stop playing that game and please get do something like go shopping for food!

Indecizion:
+10 rep farmville SUCKS dr phil just gained respect with me rofl.

Your right, Fishville is much better :)

No I am just kidding he gets +100 respect points.

This doesn't really have too much to do with videogames but that guy comes across as a jerk.

We need Jeremy Kyle to address this issue before serious progress can be made.

You could say Dr. Phil's only talking about FarmVille but he still said that video games are evil in that subtle "doctor" way.

On the other hand though, yes, FarmVille is quite stupid.. But there are legitimate people using it.

My own mother "plays" FarmVille and CafeWorld. They're the only technical games she plays because console games just got too much for her. She still works, she still has a life and makes a nice living from doing craft work.. But she uses things like FarmVille and CafeWorld like us actual gamers do. A hobby. Relaxation. Enjoyment.

That's all it is. People who go massively overboard with it like this other woman though.. Ugh. Still, it's no different than someone playing an MMO like WoW for hours on end gathering materials, questing and such.

Furburt:
What, we're taking this guy seriously now?

Anyway, she's stupid for being addicted to that game, he's stupid because of what he does, and I'm stupid for talking about it.

There, done.

Ok firstly we need to get out definition of "addiction" correctly used.

Sure it requires a lot of free time and can consume your attention quite a lot. But in all honesty it aint that hard to step away from it. Hell with a 24x24 far it takes about 30 mins to an hour just to replant it so you're mostly sitting there doing nothing so you get to thinking that its a petty boring game.

In other words. It's impossible to be addicted to it because all thats needed to break te habit is to have to go do something else for the day. Like the zoo.

As for those who call it stupid, I've seen far worse games addiction wise *cough*maplestory,conqueronline,WoW,CoD:MW2*cough*

All these are far more addicting, what you all arn't understanding is that shes a mother, most likely a house wife, who isnt a regular gamer like us and so doesn't have any other electronic outlets for her gaming needs.

So instead of insulting her try seeing it from her perspective. If all you had for a compter game was farmville, i'm pretty damn sure you'd be playing it.

Plus, why does anyone listen to him? He's an idiot, no professional health worker wih an ounce of self respect and TALENT gets a freakin talk show. The only reason they get talk shows is because they cant do their own freakin job right. Otherwise they'd have a private practise making millions a year doing something they're supposed to love. Helping people.

Plus shouting at the people hes trying to "help" is extremely unprofessional and, hell, practically unethical.

For being a pompous ass Dr. Phil does make some good points once in a while. But then again so does everyone else. He's also Oprah's bitch.

jasoncyrus:
As for those who call it stupid, I've seen far worse games addiction wise *cough*maplestory,conqueronline,WoW,CoD:MW2*cough*

All these are far more addicting, what you all arn't understanding is that shes a mother, most likely a house wife, who isnt a regular gamer like us and so doesn't have any other electronic outlets for her gaming needs.

So instead of insulting her try seeing it from her perspective. If all you had for a compter game was farmville, i'm pretty damn sure you'd be playing it.

GET OUT OF MY HEAD, DAMNIT!

I mean.. Um... Good show, old sport!

Normally I return fire on people ragging on video games, but in the case of that piece of crap Farmville, I'm willing to do a 180 and say, "good on you, Dr Phil!"

yeah Farmville sucks
<Goes to play Mafia Wars>
"Oh who's sleeping with the fishes now, ***hole!?"

As Dr. Phil would say, "Even a broken clock is right twice a day"...

jasoncyrus:
Stairway to snip

I understand that you or I might not find it addictive, but never underestimate the power of the people on the fringe to find something to become obsessed about.

Believe me, I've seen people addicted to Pong, for gods sakes. PONG!

Anyway, I'm not trying to insult her, but I get the impression that she's a bit unstable.

"Before I came here, I made sure that none of the crops were going to die,"

Unless she was convinced to say that by the producers (which wouldn't actually be too surprising) I can't imagine anyone sane actually saying something like that on television.

The problem I find with the people supporting this is the assumption that Dr. Phil talked like that because it was Farmville. Any other game he would treat the same way. Many people (and I am inclined to think him as well) see video games as a waste of time compared to "real" interactions.

+RESPECT!

Why the hell would anyone intentionally go about raising virtual crops for fun - what's next, Cubicle Drone-ville, where you shepherd your virtual office worker through the grind of the ole 9-5?

As much as I'd like to rag on Dr Phil, I really have to agree with him here. Even in the field of casual gaming it's bloody terrible, and anyone who goes about lying to their family so they can feed their 'farmville addiction' sounds like they might perhaps both the lamest and most boring person on the face of the earth. For shame!

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here