Hey, You Got Your Gears of War in my Lost Planet 2!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Hey, You Got Your Gears of War in my Lost Planet 2!

No, you aren't seeing things, people: Lost Planet 2 will apparently feature appearances by Gears of War main duo Marcus and Dom.

Today must be "Strange Capcom News Day," by the looks of things: One of the more unexpected pieces of news to come out of the Microsoft Vs. Capcom announcement bonanza was the trailer you see above here for the upcoming Lost Planet 2. In the video, two Lost Planet soldiers are ambushed by a vicious alien foe, but they soon receive backup from a very unlikely source: COG Delta squad frontmen Marcus Fenix and Dom "Bawwwwwwww My Wife" Santiago. Marcus and Dom are, of course, very familiar with fighting alien bugs - but different alien bugs. They fight the Locust, not the Akrid. Totally different things, guys.

Given that Gears of War is made by Epic Games and not Capcom, it's safe to say that probably nobody saw this coming (though if you follow Cliffy B on Twitter, this would appear to be the "kick-ass news" the guy has been Tweeting about). On the other hand, it does make sense in a way - Lost Planet 2 designer Jun Takeuchi has been a very fervent admirer of Epic's Gears of War games, even going so far to say that the controls in his Resident Evil 5 were influenced by the games (though sadly, RE5 did not feature chainsaw rifles).

It's currently unknown just what form the Dom & Marcus cameo will take - will they be in the story mode? Will they be downloadable or unlockable characters for the multiplayer? Will they be appearing on the PS3 version too or just the Xbox 360 version? We don't know. All we know is that crossovers between different development studios are still awesome, and the world needs more of them.

I'm calling Jill Valentine and Chris Redfield as bonus characters in Gears of War 3 right now. Just for the record.

(Via Andriasang)

Cameos? Whats next nathan drake in fudging gta? Soap in modnation racers? Masterchief in GTA?

What were they doing in the arctic in the first place?

What the?

I don't get it. I'm not attached to the franchises but their similarities extend about as far as their playing perspective. Very odd. Cool trailer though.

Woooow......

Now I'm interested in this game.

But seriously.... never saw this coming.

What. The. Fuck.

Why are they slumming it in a crappy game like Lost Planet? Also, how's it lost? THERE STANDING ON IT!

PayJ567:
Cameos? Whats next nathan drake in fudging gta? Soap in modnation racers? Masterchief in GTA?

Actually...some of those would be good, if only to see the fun as Master Chief shoots Roman.

It's unlikely for Marcus and Dom to appear in the PS3 version (Gears being an exclusive, after all). But since we've seen Sonic, Mario and Snake duking it out in one system (and in a single game, no less), maybe someday they will.

I don't really care, given that LP2 is based around a bunch of faceless characters. They're probably unlockable player models or something.

Maybe we'll see Sev (Killzone 2) on the PS3 version, or how about Kratos?

Sackboy FTW

Doug:

PayJ567:

Actually...some of those would be good, if only to see the fun as Master Chief shoots Roman.

Mabye but where is the originality in that... It just stagnates all franchises further.

PayJ567:

Doug:

PayJ567:

Mabye but where is the originality in that... It just stagnates all franchises further.

True. Mind you, Lost Planet wasn't exactly fresh and delicious to begin with ;)

What on earth is goin on?

Is this the way developers are handling the downturn, by merging games?

how will that fit into the story, i have never played lost planet, all i know about the game is what i learned from the first unskippable, but they seem to be very far away from gears of war, both in time and distance.

According to Eurogamer.net:

Both Marcus Fenix and Dominic Santiago made an appearance in the trailer. Word is they will be exclusive downloadable characters for the Xbox 360 version of the game, and they won't play any role in the story mode.

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/gears-characters-playable-in-lost-planet-2

Yeah, as you say; crossovers are awesome, I concur. However, I personally like a clear and valid reason behind it. Not just because having Master Chief in Viva Piņata would be cool.

Sorry, but this is retarded IMO.

I... I just don't understand....

Yes.

Lost Planet 2 Pre-Order AWAY!

Got to love Capcom and their addiction to crossovers.

Gaming needs more crossovers, especially ones that make no sense (like a squad of ODST's dropping into the middle of Modern warfare 3 for no good reason).

Worst Tuesday ever.

Not only do I just find out that Zero is only playable in the Wii version of Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, but now I've completely lost interest in Lost Planet 2. I fucking hate Gears of War with an unburning passion.

In just a few years, Epic went from my all-time favorite game company to my all time most hated (right next to Bungie and Bioware) in a downward spiral.

So we'll have gruff retards who sound like their voice has just broke and have about as much depth as Paris Hilton, and emo guys who look like girls carrying giant sword-guns and magically start fly-fighting in cutscenes but not during gameplay.

Weird... to say the least, I'm assuming they are multiplayer models, not actually part of the story.

I can't tell if this is awesome or stupid... maybe a little of both.

Doug:
What. The. Fuck.

Why are they slumming it in a crappy game like Lost Planet? Also, how's it lost? THERE STANDING ON IT!

LOST PLANET IS NOT CRAPPY!!!!!!!!!

... sorry bout that, I get a little protective of my favorite games.
That being said why is their so much lost planet hate, almost everyone i talk to says they hated it. As for me I think that a game that mixes: Pirates, mechs, grappeling hooks, and giant bugs together is awesome. And on top of that the story was good and the controls were solid.

Cpu46:

Doug:
What. The. Fuck.

That being said why is their so much lost planet hate, almost everyone i talk to says they hated it. As for me I think that a game that mixes: Pirates, mechs, grappeling hooks, and giant bugs together is awesome. And on top of that the story was good and the controls were solid.

lol, fair enough, fair enough. I wouldn't say I hate Lost Planet, it just seemed very dull to be honest; functional but unexciting. I'd more class it as a "meh" than a "the output of a horses rear".

Who follows CliffyB on twitter? (or anywhere)

It's bad enough that he pops in the news from time to time to spew some idiocies. Active following?. When hell freezes over.

A cameo? Lame. I thought they'd announce a new game. That's even lamer than if somehow Star Wars characters would end up in a Soul Calibur game. I mean.. haha, that's...okay nothing beats that. Why? Just why?

I love the bit where dom pulls out the gernade and looks at it like "the fuck, where my frag on a chain's at?" and then just throws the thing anyway.

Wow. Pretty cool, and truly unexpected. Hell, i'd even say that some more crossovers would be in order.

I still want to see Ratchet and Clank making a cameo appearance in some current-gen game though. In PS3 version of Just Cause 2 as an alternative player model, maybe? That would work out pretty well - i can imagine Ratchet jumping out of a plane and skydiving from 7000 metres, then opening parachute, jacking a helicopter, and wasting a military base with it.

Well they did just announce the Resistance, Killzone and inFamous downloadable characters for Uncharted 2. Maybe this is some sort of trend of picking a game then turning it into a big console wide crossover. Though, if PS3's is Uncharted, surely 360's crossover title would want to be something a bit better (or at least exclusive) than Lost Planet.

Like I said unless this was Marvel Vs Capcom 3 or Devil May Cry 5 I wouldn't care. And now...I really really don't care.

Doug:

Cpu46:

Doug:
What. The. Fuck.

lol, fair enough, fair enough. I wouldn't say I hate Lost Planet, it just seemed very dull to be honest; functional but unexciting. I'd more class it as a "meh" than a "the output of a horses rear".

Oh, yea i thought you meant "output of a horses rear". Sure i can understand people seeing it a being "meh" but i realy enjoyed it, definitely gonna get LP2.

I'm a little less interested in this game now, sadly. I loved the first one, and if it turns out that Marcus and Dom play a vital role in the story, I'd be more than disappointed. It's not that I don't like GoW, it's just that those are two completely different game worlds that don't really feel right together.

Can anyone else smell cash in?
"Lost Planet? Whats that? Wait! OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG ITS HAS MARCUS AND DOM IN! MUST BUY NOW!"

PayJ567:

Be careful...they may be watching this channel1

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or