Dungeons & Dragons Banned in Prison

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

They really don't actually research anything, do they? That being said, that man bludgeoned someone to death, can't say I can be too sympathetic.

P.S.:

Amnestic:
Looks like the ones in favour of keeping DnD rolled a critical miss on their Diplomacy checks :(

Skills can't have a critical miss, as they can't have automatic success with a natural 20...

Oh yeah, I went there!!

kordan11:
They really don't actually research anything, do they? That being said, that man bludgeoned someone to death, can't say I can be too sympathetic.

Yes but it hardly seems like a good idea to take someone already mentally unbalanced. Put him in an oppressive, hostile environment. And then take away his primary form of emotional release, one that is non-violent and doesn't encourage criminal activity. He's going to spend the rest of his life in one building at least let him pretend to be an elf.

I remember reading in dragon magazine a while back that there were a fairly large amount of DnD players in prison.

kordan11:

Amnestic:
Looks like the ones in favour of keeping DnD rolled a critical miss on their Diplomacy checks :(

Skills can't have a critical miss, as they can't have automatic success with a natural 20...

Oh yeah, I went there!!

I was using poetic license dammit!

Greg Tito:

In my mind this is no different than the irrational attack on D&D from religious goons like Jack Chick or my own mother.

-.-

I just finished reading through some of the Jack Chick articles and I find myself somehow bereft.

Eventually... once you go out and research all his points... and realized that his statistical assertions are flimsy... and read some of the scientific articles on D&D...

You realize the simple truth.

He is a bible humping, Christ peddler. Nothing more. He considers 'spiritual threats' to be just as great as any other. I am sure that his world view states this as a truth, and it is a matter of intolerance that he has concluded that no one else is allowed to be right...

I need a drink.

So wait, I don't understand. Did they ban it because it was an escape from his punishment or because he threw harmful projectile dice at people...

Um... Hostility? Dude alot of people in jail are violent criminals so they were hostile already. Alot of people in jail are gang members so "Promotes gang formation?" They kind already have that going for them since they have something in common. They're locked away in a bloody cage. Jeez.

dietpeachsnapple:

Greg Tito:

In my mind this is no different than the irrational attack on D&D from religious goons like Jack Chick or my own mother.

-.-

I just finished reading through some of the Jack Chick articles and I find myself somehow bereft.

Eventually... once you go out and research all his points... and realized that his statistical assertions are flimsy... and read some of the scientific articles on D&D...

He is a bible humping, Christ peddler. Nothing more. He considers 'spiritual threats' to be just as great as any other. I am sure that his world view states this as a truth, and it is a matter of intolerance that he has concluded that no one else is allowed to be right...

I need a drink.

Yeah, um. I'm a christian and I play D&D and I know alot of people that are christian and play D&D as well so your point doesn't hold as true as you'd like.

remember people D&D kills

(*I hope some gets the reference)

fix-the-spade:
I just read that CHICK publications comic.

If it wasn't for the rest of the site I genuinely would have thought that was a parody, not a very subtle one at that. Amazing.

haha me too

I've never been interested in D&D, it always seemed a little (no offense) "excessive" to me. Which I guess is pretty hypocritical of me considering I play Warhammer 40K, but the more I read about D&D, the more interesting it sounds. So is it fun?

Pyromaniac1337:

sethzard:
Right, so D&D is banned, and yet religion, for which some people kill themselves is still allowed, what great logic you morons.

Thank you for equating a game with an ideology and grouping every person in that ideology under "psychopathic murdering rapist." Makes me REAL respectful of atheists and agnostics...

I didn't say that all people who practice religion commit suicide for it, as I said some people kill themselves and it is definitely a minority but still, I've never heard of anyone who has killed in the name of D&D

Jaredin:

manaman:
Oh no! Can't have the prisoners casting magic missile at each other!

Think of the mess! It would take days to clean up!

If they cast magic missile at the darkness who KNOWS what'll happen.

I remember that Dragon Magazine too, the "Prison Mail" section that was actually about prison.

This whole thing makes me a little sad. Is there a chance for him to appeal to a higher court, or does law for inmates not work that way? For one thing, this screws over not only him, but all his friends who played the game with him.

At any point, did the court proceedings either A) give him a chance to explain the nature of the game, or B) bring in a witness who actually knows something about the game, or C) refute the extremely silly arguments about Gangs and Fostering Violence?

Another case of drawing lines between things where no lines have business to be drawn...

One of the most retarded bans ever. Ok, actually, it's probably not in the top 1,000 for our country, but still retarded. Do they not realize that while D&D is the most famous role-playing game, it is only a portion (admittedly large) of all the various role-playing games out there? All of which typically differ in a fundamentally superficial manner? Unless it's a blanket ban of all role-playing games, all it will do is push players to pursue other systems, and piss off everyone who liked D&D (which, given its popularity, is a lot of people). So unless some lawmakers bought stock in Whitewolf for something, it's a completely pointless move with absolutely no benefits (and plenty of costs).

Eggsnham:
I've never been interested in D&D, it always seemed a little (no offense) "excessive" to me. Which I guess is pretty hypocritical of me considering I play Warhammer 40K, but the more I read about D&D, the more interesting it sounds. So is it fun?

I definitely enjoy it. It's better if you have an experienced game master, though experienced players is entirely optional (personal maturity is much more important than experience with the game in terms of fun players). It's set up to be a relatively shallow hacky-slashy system, but we've found you can easily inject it with as much story and character development as you like without hassle.

The only hope is that the Supreme Court will grant cert. and then protect the prisoner's freedom of speech like they did last week for big corporations... BIG CORPORATIONS ARE PEOPLE TOO!

Actually, I could see this.

Imagine a bunch of angst-ridden inmates gathered around a table.

The one who is the DM informs one of the inmates that their character has failed their saving throw and died.

In the morning, the guard finds the bloody remains.

klakkat:

Eggsnham:

I definitely enjoy it. It's better if you have an experienced game master, though experienced players is entirely optional (personal maturity is much more important than experience with the game in terms of fun players). It's set up to be a relatively shallow hacky-slashy system, but we've found you can easily inject it with as much story and character development as you like without hassle.

Sounds interesting.

Anybody smell irony? that could be my feet again,though....

Harbinger_:

dietpeachsnapple:

Greg Tito:

-.-

I need a drink.

Yeah, um. I'm a christian and I play D&D and I know alot of people that are christian and play D&D as well so your point doesn't hold as true as you'd like.

Conveniently, my point made no reference to you. What's yours?

The guards have nothing to worry about. The prisoners always shoot in melee so...Then again, they might learn wish. Oh shit.

The only good D&D is a dead one.
heh

and besides, they're in prison. forget those guys.

These F*ckers are in PRISON for a REASON!!! Why should they even have the opportunity to have fun at all! They are there, wasting their lives, not to have fun, play or pass the time, but to suffer because they did BAD SHIT!!! Besides, i agree, it would be a good way of them organizing themselves into potentially more dangerous gangs.

dietpeachsnapple:

Harbinger_:

dietpeachsnapple:

Greg Tito:

-.-

I need a drink.

Your point made reference to christians considering D&D a 'spiritual threat' and that all christians are bible humpers. Not much of a point really, more over blind assumption and generalizations bred from a culture that tries to find popularity and acceptability in tormenting and poking fun at those who wish to believe in something larger than themselves.

Harbinger_:

dietpeachsnapple:

Harbinger_:

dietpeachsnapple:

Greg Tito:

-.-

I need a drink.

Your point made reference to christians considering D&D a 'spiritual threat' and that all christians are bible humpers. Not much of a point really, more over blind assumption and generalizations bred from a culture that tries to find popularity and acceptability in tormenting and poking fun at those who wish to believe in something larger than themselves.

*blink...blink*

When... I dare ask... did I implicate all Christians? How about Christianity itself?

I used, specifically, the pronoun "he." There is ONE psychotic fundamental religious nutbag whom I am railing against, in direct relation to a comment made by the OP.

I am not oppressing you, but you do seem rather defensive about the subject. Something on your mind?

I know they are prisoners but taking away D&D from them might make them do other things instead, like shank each other O-o

tomtom94:
Sorry to say, but I think I can see where Chicago are coming from on this.

Okay so some of the reasons are poor and misinformed, but there are presumably other reasons which aren't.

My personal view is that prisoners should not be allowed to have fun, but apparently that's "fascist".

Think it through. The target in all this was a lifer. You know what many lifer's do for fun? Drugs, shanking, gang rape, etc. So taking away D&D accomplishes what? Inmates are humans, and if you can't treat even them properly your society will degrade. I'm watching that happen almost first hand where I live.

Seriously, this was as retarded a prison decision as any.

SuperMse:
Hmm...somehow D&D and gangster just don't seem to go together...wonder why...

there are just things in life that do not go together. items such as: jews and arabs, jedi and sith, and the obvious one, spagetti and milk

seems justified, i'd ban broken telephone too, there can be unnecessary casualties

The real question is what happens to inmates who are this dedicated to playing D+D? I mean, I occasionally got made fun of for playing D+D in high school...so are prison inmates going to be more tolerant then jocks? Hell, maybe there doing these gamers a favor...

Anyways, this is definitely interesting. On one hand, the logic here is absolutely laughable. Gangs? Seriously? Asinine. On the other hand, I have a hard time feeling bad for a murderer who lost his leisure activity. On the other...hand...ahem...this is pretty pointless. Get me a scrap of paper and a writing utensil, and I can play D+D. Hell, Ive played with less. And if this guy is writing an entire manuscript, I'm pretty sure he can remember that his paladin has a a +2 fort save at level 1. So you wanna ban D+D? Good luck with that.

I wish Captain Muraski could be my gang-expert.

Greg Tito:

He explained that the policy [of banning D&D] was intended to promote prison security because cooperative games can mimic the organization of gangs and lead to the actual development thereof.

And here I thought they were just worried about the damage a man can do with a d4.

They really banned it because the inmates were having fun.

NO FUN IN JAIL!

Does it apply to AD&D or other game systems ?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here