Department of Defense Research: Gamers Are 20% Smarter

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

JWAN:

Captain Pancake:

Grayjack72:
So that's why the Marines sent me information in the mail. They know I'm a gamer, and thus they want me to fight for them!

Oorah? or maybe you just got drafted. Who will know? The government, I bet.

The USMC DOES NOT take draftees.

Well, you learn something new every day. Is that the reason for the suspected superiority complex marines have with respect to the rangers? I would never know myself, the only difference to me is one's a branch of the navy. Why, are you a member yourself?

apparantly because I play video games I will be an even better US Army officer, good to know.

Wow, scientific research that's pro gaming? About time.

I'm not sure this would really help in an argument.

Person A "Video games turn children into killers."

Person B "But the U.S. Department of Defense, researchers claim that gamers are 20% better at cognitive functions than non-gamers, and believe that games should be used more to train and educate the soldiers of tomorrow. "

Person A "My bad. Video games turn children into highly efficient killers."

Hopeless Bastard:
]Spend 6 minutes playing anything on xbl and say that.

I'm a PC gamer, you really have to be a total nerd to even bother getting started.

God bless America

The Unskilled78:

Furburt:
I think that it's not so much that gamers are smarter, more that smart people tend to play games nowadays.

This.

That.

This is both good and bad. You know we're still going to get people saying that games are used to train us to be killers, despite not being what he actually said.

Whoops, sorry Glenn and Jack - didn't see you guys there.

Hey, works for me. =) Personally, I think that gamers just tend to have better reactions/adaptations to standardized testing. It seems like it would be excellent training for that.

Of course gamers are smart, we've had strategy, quick reflexes, quick thinking and hand eye coordination shoved in our faces since we were small children.

Erana:
Huh. That explains a lot.
Still, I wish there were more detail on their research; they only talk about their findings on the site.

Prolly involved aliens and needles x.x XD

Sorry, but I find this to be complete bullsh*t.

I've been playing games for most of my life, and I don't feel any more responsive in the real world than I do in a game. Games are entertainment mediums made for the enjoyment of all. Nothing more; nothing less.

Captain Pancake:

JWAN:

Captain Pancake:

Grayjack72:
So that's why the Marines sent me information in the mail. They know I'm a gamer, and thus they want me to fight for them!

Oorah? or maybe you just got drafted. Who will know? The government, I bet.

The USMC DOES NOT take draftees.

Well, you learn something new every day. Is that the reason for the suspected superiority complex marines have with respect to the rangers? I would never know myself, the only difference to me is one's a branch of the navy. Why, are you a member yourself?

no I said that once and i learned :P
And the Marines and the Army and the Navy and the Airforce all get into fights about whose better but that never carries over when they are on the job.
Expecially within the special forces programs of Green Berets/Rangers/Seals/Marine Force Recon etc etc.

The Marines is a volunteer only outfit (except for like a month or so in the 60's)

:D Best thing i've heard all day.

Finally something good in the news about us gamers, though i doubt most gamers would make for good soldiers.

Sure, gamers might be decent on the battlefield, but what happens when they accidentally recruit a griefer?

OT: Well, that is rather fascinating. Doesn't surprise me that people who play military-themed games would be more suited to a life in the military, though. I mean, you've clearly given the subject more thought than the average non-gamer.

I don't think this is that accurate... If you play a MMORPG which is best completed with grinding and people teaming up with a team where no-one uses correct grammar, full words or real words for that sake, how does that increase knowledge? I've played a lot of various games, and Professor Layton might make you better at IQ tests and riddles, Zelda may make you cause to think about solutions, but gaming makes you smarter? Meh, I doubt it. I've seen so many gamers that are complete morons. Some of those I've met playing games online could probably find difficulties connecting the dots in an activity book for children.

khaimera:

brodie21:
duh!

hooray!! post count +1

You'd think that with this style of posting you'd have a much higher post count. Just saying

Pointing it out is just as bad ;)

In any case, what interested me most is this:
"[...] conventional beliefs about brain plasticity and aging are changing. The video game-like training programs at the Office of Naval Research, he noted, are producing surprising results."

What is video game-like? What games, or game-like things, are they using in the study? Are they using "brain-training" type games like the DS is so wanton with having, or is it more dexterity based things, or some combination... I'm truly curious.

I'd actually heard similar things before, though about surgery, like they are happy when surgeons play video games because it increases their hand-eye coordination and dexterity, and with some new devices that are controlled manually through computer controls, surgery can even be more like a game. I'm not exactly sure I want to see this applied to military applications, but it's great that they did this study. It's promising!

We think that these games increase your executive control, or your ability to focus and attend to stimuli in the outside world

!= Smarter.

It means you make decisions and react faster. It doesn't mean you have a greater understanding of the world around you, or know more about the history of Asia. It means you can asses your situation and determine a course of action quicker.

Unsurprising, really. With the average game giving you plenty of opportunities to find solutions to problems quickly, with or without thinking outside the box, with or without zombies trying to eat your brain at the same time.

Too bad that "improved cognitive abilities" doesnt necessarily translate into more mature behavior for gamers.. :p

Yopaz:
If you play a MMORPG which is best completed with grinding and people teaming up with a team where no-one uses correct grammar, full words or real words for that sake, how does that increase knowledge?

It isn't about knowledge, the term "smarter" here is in a different context. They speak more to the "skills" used in a MMORPG when in combat to determine what abilities to use, what abilities are being used against you, how to counter them, monitoring your resources and cooldowns; and in a group setting being aware of all those, to some degree, of your whole team. They're speaking more to the idea of the time it takes a person to asses their situation, determine a course of action, and take it; as well as the accuracy of those decisions.

Edit: Also; the military doesn't use correct grammar, full words, or "real" words for that matter, in a combat situation either.

Someone show this to: Atkinson and the Frumpy mum.

OT: Damn right! But I actually study so... BONUS BI***

Now be careful kitties. Correlation does not imply causation.

Gaming may just attract more intelligent people. Not create them.

What if these people were on average 30% smarter and actually got dumber because of games? One must always remain vigilant and wary of studies. Even if you like their results.

take that Fox News and JT!

Well stupid people don't play games at all, they work in mc donalds or something

I can only say this: HA!

Nuke_em_05:

Yopaz:
If you play a MMORPG which is best completed with grinding and people teaming up with a team where no-one uses correct grammar, full words or real words for that sake, how does that increase knowledge?

It isn't about knowledge, the term "smarter" here is in a different context. They speak more to the "skills" used in a MMORPG when in combat to determine what abilities to use, what abilities are being used against you, how to counter them, monitoring your resources and cooldowns; and in a group setting being aware of all those, to some degree, of your whole team. They're speaking more to the idea of the time it takes a person to asses their situation, determine a course of action, and take it; as well as the accuracy of those decisions.

Edit: Also; the military doesn't use correct grammar, full words, or "real" words for that matter, in a combat situation either.

I never said knowledge made intelligence. And really, I have seen a lot of people being pretty dumb in MMORPGs, you wouldn't believe some of them if you met them. And the military doesn't use real words or full words, well, that goes for combat, but there's more to military than combat. Imagine a guy writing a report like this: we pwnt them wit lot of hs thn rtrnd bk lol. Writing reports can be useful, and really, being able to do a raid in a game isn't much compared to combat since you usually don't get surprises if you know what's waiting for you ahead. How many MMORPGs have you seen where you're supposed to secure the area and then a car bomb goes off and you get ambushed by enemies with assault rifles?
Knowing tactics also doesn't necessary make you smart.
I stick with the idea that smart people plays games rather than games making us smart.

its interesting how we're all over this research but we fight anything negative. be wary of just accepting something because its flattering, science is impartial.

This research was the best spent Government money this year

Yopaz:

Nuke_em_05:

Yopaz:

I never said knowledge made intelligence. And really, I have seen a lot of people being pretty dumb in MMORPGs, you wouldn't believe some of them if you met them. And the military doesn't use real words or full words, well, that goes for combat, but there's more to military than combat. Imagine a guy writing a report like this: we pwnt them wit lot of hs thn rtrnd bk lol. Writing reports can be useful, and really, being able to do a raid in a game isn't much compared to combat since you usually don't get surprises if you know what's waiting for you ahead. How many MMORPGs have you seen where you're supposed to secure the area and then a car bomb goes off and you get ambushed by enemies with assault rifles?
Knowing tactics also doesn't necessary make you smart.
I stick with the idea that smart people plays games rather than games making us smart.

Again, you're using the wrong context of smart; and applying the wrong aspects of gaming. You cited "grinding and lolspeak don't increase knowledge". The point is situational decision making.

Situational decision making would be in a combat situation, not writing a report.

Yes, going on a raid or playing a campaign you can learn what to expect, but you still have to account for the fact that specific attacks and situations aren't going to happen at exactly the same time every time. Or else you could theoretically finish a raid once and never wipe again any time your run it. Apply it to PvP; where the objectives are the same, but the opponents and teams constantly change, and even then how the same two teams could face each other on the same map 50 times and come to 50 different outcomes.

The same applies to a Shooter. Yes, you know the ship lands on the propane tank 15 seconds after the baddies enter the room. However, the baddies aren't always the same baddies, and they don't always move and attack the same way, and you don't always have the same weapons available. For multiplayer, see PvP above.

Tactics and reactive decisions are the type of "smart" they are referencing.

I maintain that the aricle is mislabeled because some people can only assign one meaning per word.

If that were true i would have actually passed year 11 :D

Nazrel:
I'm not sure this would really help in an argument.

Person A "Video games turn children into killers."

Person B "But the U.S. Department of Defense, researchers claim that gamers are 20% better at cognitive functions than non-gamers, and believe that games should be used more to train and educate the soldiers of tomorrow. "

Person A "My bad. Video games turn children into highly efficient killers."

I don't want to sound prejudice towards the American people, but it seems that most people in that country think that solders are some kind of heroes and not just hired killers. So, you know, most people will assume that this is a good thing.

khaimera:

brodie21:
duh!

hooray!! post count +1

You'd think that with this style of posting you'd have a much higher post count. Just saying

i was going to put a snarky comment, but i was thinking and accidentally hit the post button with the touchpad of my laptop.

post count +2!

Video games -increasing- fluid intelligence and 'cognitive abilities'.

Wow...really? It's not like I don't -want- this to be true, but it sounds sketchy

This article makes sense. I'm sure it doesn't only apply to gamers, but virtual worlds (ie: games) offer a very good medium to expand the mind. Overcoming puzzling challenges in adventure games could increase your logical thinking skills while developing RTS strategies could develop other quick thinking and organizational skills. But these things can be learned in other mediums as well - like playing chess is good for logic, reasoning, and visualization. But then, chess doesn't help you learn about interactive digital mediums which are becoming rampant in all forms of our lives so I guess they like that about games, too.

Makes perfect sense.

Adventure puzzle games = Problem solving trainers

RPGs = Detective and moral trainers.

shooters = reaction time, fast-decision-making trainers.

Tactical FPS = trains Team building.

RTS = strategy and resource efficiency trainers.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here