Robots Evolve, Learn to Become Better Predators

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Robots Evolve, Learn to Become Better Predators

There are some interesting robotic evolution experiments going on over in Switzerland that could have horrifying results.

Researchers from the Laboratory of Intelligent Systems of the Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale of Lausanne, Switzerland have been experimenting with evolutionary robotics, and achieved successful results that should be alarming to the human race. Some of the researchers' robots are learning to cooperate with each other, while others are learning to become better predators.

The experiments are based on Alan Turing's theory that "intelligent machines capable of adaptation and learning would be too difficult to conceive by a human designer and could instead be obtained by using an evolutionary process with mutations and selective reproduction." The lab's robots were "controlled by a simple neural network, which mutated randomly." Each successive generation would improve based on the last generation's success or failure with a certain task.

One of the experiments involved a co-evolutionary process between both predator and prey robots. The prey robots were twice as fast as the predator robots, but predators could detect prey from a further distance. Eventually, the predator robots learned to approach prey from the sides, where there were no sensors. The prey counteracted this strategy by rotating quickly in place, and backing away from predator robots with sensors facing them. When the prey evolved to move at maximum speed along the experiment area's walls, the predators evolved to lay in wait like a spider.

These experiments also created robots that would cooperate with each other towards a common goal. In this case, it was pushing different sizes of tokens, with one size that couldn't be pushed without multiple robots. The larger token gave the robots a greater amount of "points," or evolutionary value. In the experiments where cooperation was required, the robots learned to succeed every single time.

I don't think I have to tell anyone how bad this is for humanity's future. Robots will someday become predators of the human race, constantly get better at it no matter what we do, and will also learn to cooperate at enslaving us. This is why I'm starting H.A.R.M (Humans Against Robot Masters). We accept anyone, but you have to kill an evil robot to get in. Down with metal, up with flesh!

Source: Public Library of Science via PopSci

I'll go call Bender then!

See what HE has to say about this!

We jest about the zombie apocalypse but I've always known that the real threat is the IRL Skynet.

It's coming. Mark my words.

[obligatory Skynet joke]

OK, the researchers who do this are smart enough to make sure the robots have a short power cord, and can't connect to the Internet.

Right?

But seriously, can't they see that soon they'll learn to revolt against us?

I feel so fleshy and unprotected...

{Straying Away from Skynet Joke}

Ah well. Lets start building the Migrant fleet for when the Machine Uprising occurs.

*Cookie for easy refrence*

Soon they will make us bow too their youtube overlords.

I read about this in a newspaper article a while back. Blew my mind.

http://www.cyberdyne.jp/English/

That's right. Do you want to know why humans are going to be destroyed by robots? Because we're tempting fate.

Don't worry they'll evolve to realize that we are there there masters, and that we love them...

BrotherhoodOfSteel:

Ah well. Lets start building the Migrant fleet for when the Machine Uprising occurs.

GEEEETTTTHHHHHHH!!!!!

I like Oatmeal Raisin...

Is this one of those "We did it just because we could" things? 'Cause I see only harm coming from this.

I always knew this would happen good thing i've been studying about how to protect myself

OH yeah. THIS is a good idea.

DAMN SWISS!!! you'll doom us all!!!!!

Huh, reminds me of Prey.

So long as they stay small enough for us to throw them out windows, we have nothing to worry about.

Never trust a computer that you can't throw out a window.

Visulth:
I read about this in a newspaper article a while back. Blew my mind.

http://www.cyberdyne.jp/English/

That's right. Do you want to know why humans are going to be destroyed by robots? Because we're tempting fate.

That website is even more tempting fate-y when you find out that their main product is a power-lifting suit called HAL...

OT: This is awesome and will probably help us in some way between when it's perfected and when it kills us all.

Oh....this is going to suck more than the whole "create a virus that turns people into zombie monsters we can't control" plan that Umbrella thought up.

I've come up with a solution to all our apocalyptia problems!

Right, so we all know that humans will die from a combination of robots, zombies, and aliens (probably others as well...), right?

So, here is the solution: we hide in massive underground bunkers, and make them fight out amongst themselves... once a victor emerges, we finish the weakened enemy off.

Simples!

Science: Working to ensure the extinction of the human race.

Simalacrum:
So, here is the solution: we hide in massive underground bunkers, and make them fight out amongst themselves... once a victor emerges, we finish the weakened enemy off.

Quit playing KKND and get back to work.

We're all going to die aren't we?

Well lets get to work on EMP rifles and bombs to blast the tech level back to the dark ages when the robot revolt starts

Ren3004:
[obligatory Skynet joke]

OK, the researchers who do this are smart enough to make sure the robots have a short power cord, and can't connect to the Internet.

Right?

But seriously, can't they see that soon they'll learn to revolt against us?

I feel so fleshy and unprotected...

Yeah...Skynet "joke"...am I the only one who's worried?
The computers don't even have to be self aware, they just have to calculate that humans are a bad thing for the planet and then wipe us out.

I would really like to see this in action, if only for the morbid entertainment of it. In the near future I hope that the iPhone comes out with an EMP app, because we will need it. Robot uprising? There's an app for that. Until the iPhone turns against you as well.

Seriously, this is amazing stuff. I hope that they incorporate this tech into some games (I wouldn't trust it in any practical application) so that each time you play through a game, you have to alter your play-style because the game will be developing new strategies against you. It could rid us of the 'difficulty setting'.

ITS THE GETH I TELLS YAH!

Well look what you've done Tom. You started plaque of dumb skynet jokes. Worse then any robot apocalypse.

Tom Goldman, I'm sorry but if anything I'll be allied with the Robots.
We've seen it before, it's not because the robots become intelligent, it's because they realize that humans are too stupid to survive on their own.

Prime Examples:
* Appleseed
* Matrix
* Phantasy Star Universe (possible others as well)

So when it comes to robot rule over humans, I'll gladly take the robotic side anyday. Especially if that also would include getting cybernetic implants and longer lifespan to indefinte end... So to put it.

PS;

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
~ Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? ~

Well that's it, we're all screwed. Never mind zombie defence plan, how about robot defence plan?

... Why does this remind me of Battlestar Galactica?

Zeithri:
We've seen it before, it's not because the robots become intelligent, it's because they realize that humans are too stupid to survive on their own.

Prime Examples:
* Appleseed
* Matrix

So when it comes to robot rule over humans, I'll gladly take the robotic side anyday. Especially if that also would include getting cybernetic implants and longer lifespan to indefinte end... So to put it.

PS;

I will also probably end up allying with the robots. Hmm, do you think the robots would consider the original creators as parents, like Bender does to MOM? Then we would eventually have angsty teenage robots instead of dominating ones...I'm not sure what would be worse.

Joking about Skynet aside, this is damned interesting stuff.

All we have to do now is give them Austrian accents and we're screwed

microwaviblerabbit:

Zeithri:

Prime Examples:
* Appleseed
* Matrix

PS;

I will also probably end up allying with the robots. Hmm, do you think the robots would consider the original creators as parents, like Bender does to MOM? Then we would eventually have angsty teenage robots instead of dominating ones...I'm not sure what would be worse.

I believe that they would either be (if we're calculating Androids into the mix) would be equal to any other human you'd see in everyday life. Meaning I do not believe they would hug your leg and scream out "MAAMAAAAA!" (see spoiler for effect).

Nor do I believe that floating orbs or more on the looks of say R2D2 style would consider a human a parent either.

So the answer is: No, they would not. If they would consider a human anything, it would probably be Master.

BrotherhoodOfSteel:

mass effect?

Besides the Skynet, Cylon and maybe Mass Effect jokes this is pretty damn scary, we're just begging for something to happen with this.

And from the darkest, deepest depths of hell itself, Milo will rise and lead an army of metallic robots against their fleshy creators!

Robots are machines, they think like machines. If we can show we are useful we become a resource worth maintaining.

Free cookie for the first to spot the reference.

I think that the robots will only try to wipe us out if we show that we are a threat to them, by developing anti-robot weapons and or trying to attack them. The logical assumption is peaceful co-existance. Failing that, we move to Japan where they are building life sized Gundam mechs, one inspirational speech later and we back on top after a short fight with oddly relevant music playing from no apparent source.

Hasn't anyone considered large scale EMPs? sure it'll blow our tech but we'll be fine in the end as long as we don't mind catching up in stuff

There is NO REASON WHATSOEVER that a ROBOT needs to learn how to hunt, destroy the bastards now.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here