Gamer Arrested For Using WoW Gold to "Groom" Underage Boys

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Gamer Arrested For Using WoW Gold to "Groom" Underage Boys

A 28-year-old man from Copenhagen has been charged after authorities discovered that he was using gold from World of Warcraft to pay for naked pictures and videos from underage boys.

The unnamed man is currently in Copenhagen City Court, where he faces allegations of "grooming" 25 boys aged 12-16 years by using World of Warcraft to convince them to take photos and videos of themselves naked and, in some cases, masturbating. Authorities said he possessed a "significant" amount of in-game gold, which he offered to the boys in exchange for the material; he reportedly had roughly 10,000 photos and 1200 videos of underage boys on his computer when he was arrested.

Along with their exchanges in World of Warcraft, the man also spoke to the boys over MSN Messenger, where "more private exchanges could take place." The man has acknowledged that he received the photos and videos via email but denied enticing the boys into it. A ruling on the matter is expected within a week.

There are a lot of questions that remain unanswered in all this, but I think we all know which one is going to come to the fore first: How long before videogames are somehow held responsible for this?

Source: Copenhagen Post Online

Well it was their choice, they could of chose not to, but they didn't.

EDIT: Personally, I would need more than a "significant" amount of money ;P

Holy crap! WOW gold can pretty much buy you anything nowadays.
That's really fucking scary.

I don't know, sounds like those boys were exploiting a pervert to get gold.
I don't really think people are that innocent.

It doesn't surprise me, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's been going on in WoW for a long time. Generally speaking this is the kind of stuff you see happening in games like Gaia Online or Second Life.

Truthfully though, I would expect underage gay camwhores (which is what we're dealing with, even though girls are more common) to have been dealing through Amazon.Com as much as through WoW.

let me guess..."it wasn't me it was the games fault! if i didn't have all that in game gold i wouldn't have even tried!"

Wow seriously? 10,000 photos of underage boys?

I can't tell which is worse, the Pedophile or the amount of underage boys agreeing to take naked photos of themselves.

While this is disgusting, surely these kids must have known exactly the consequences of this?

Michael Atkinson is going to shit bricks when he hears this from his Death Star.

Surely you get the money first... then RICKROLL HIM!

How far can people go to get ingame currency... O.o

I'm just going to go ahead and say it.

"I'd send a picture of dick to a random guy on the internet for thousands of WoW gold (assuming I still played). Also, I could claim trauma over the whole ordeal, maybe sue him and get some real life gold out of it too."

Perspective people.

That is beyond fucked up. Dumbass little boys though, I know your not supposed to blame the victims but Jesus Christ, all that for fake gold?

So, this is basically underage WoW prostitution?

I would have got the money, then hooked up my video input to just display an image of Goatse or lemonparty. Then I'd trace his IP and call the Danish police.

EDIT: This thread is also pissing me off as I had my WoW password stolen today. Damn coincidences.

Now thats what I call farming!

Macksheath:
While this is disgusting, surely these kids must have known exactly the consequences of this?

Michael Atkinson is going to shit bricks when he hears this from his Death Star.

Death Star?, Michael Atkinson is flying in from dark space the area in between galaxies, "confidence born of ignorance".

I can't help thinking why those kids agreed to do it. Is WoW realy that addicting for kids to even go so far as post images of themselves for perverts? Or is just a lot of kids have very suggestable minds. It's sick.

I hope that guy rots in prison for a very long time, or worse.

farmerboy219:
let me guess..."it wasn't me it was the games fault! if i didn't have all that in game gold i wouldn't have even tried!"

Technically your right in your sarcasm farmerboy!, to be so obsessive as to get hold of/keep 10,000 pictures and 1200 videos it would need an obsession like WoW to nuture that sort of "hording"

chortle chortle, I'm so clever and I don't even play WoW, because I'm not obsessive!....

although my CD's are in order of Band>Record Label>Publisher>Serial Number.... ermmm the spines are more inline that way.

Davrel:
Now thats what I call farming!

you have a sick sense of humour

Armored Prayer:
Wow seriously? 10,000 photos of underage boys?

I can't tell which is worse, the Pedophile or the amount of underage boys agreeing to take naked photos of themselves.

The pedophile.

Not because he's a pedophile though. More because he managed to scrape enough gold together to get 10,100 pictures of underage boys.

That's massive farming right there.

Booze Zombie:
I don't know, sounds like those boys were exploiting a pervert to get gold.
I don't really think people are that innocent.

I was thinking that, sounds like those lads have had a good deal. Make a creep happy, then watch him suffer while you count your WoW gold.

I give it until Monday before Fox News is blaming video games for this...... funny how they never seem to want to ban public play grounds (another popular haunt for perverts) or puppies (the old ruse to get kids alone)... or how if the children's parents were supervising their online time this shit wouldn't of happened.

Oh no it will be games fault.

Srkkl:
That is beyond fucked up. Dumbass little boys though, I know your not supposed to blame the victims but Jesus Christ, all that for fake gold?

Depends, putting it into context I'd spend alot of money to get Lady Gaga into bed for the night, and she's a fake woman.

WoW Gold is better than dollars or euros!!!
You can buy ANYTHING it seems...

Sad example tho :(

*shudders*... That was my creeping out for the day.

Where'd they catch him? Goldshire or the Deeprun Tram?

Well, if I ever go pedophile, I know where im gonna get my material from.

Its damn sick, but fuck, its a good idea. Someone had to say it.

Thomas-101:
I can't help thinking why those kids agreed to do it. Is WoW realy that addicting for kids to even go so far as post images of themselves for perverts?

Because they somehow wouldn't have for straight up cash instead? WoW certainly put this guy in contact with all these kids, but the actual money transfer is technically no different than a wire money transfer. If someone is willing to take WoW gold, I bet they would take real money.

I'd say until the mail on sunday gets published.

Put this guy to the torch and why are kids agreeing to do this?

I wonder what sized harddrive that guy had...

This is why I try not to play with small kids. They're stupid and inexperienced by nature, no matter how you look at it.
Anyways, what a fucking a-hole, taking advantage of them. Or vice versa. Maybe they both turned out equally happy in the end. *Shrug*

Andy Chalk:
There are a lot of questions that remain unanswered in all this, but I think we all know which one is going to come to the fore first: How long before videogames are somehow held responsible for this?

My thoughts as I clicked the link for this thread.
Also Fox is going to find someone who never played WoW to defend this game

Well, this is just disgusting. I've heard of pedophiles exploiting WoW before, but...yeah. Not this bad.

I personally don't think the media's going to blame videogames for this, though. This sort of thing is wont to happen in MMOs of all kinds, whether that's people stalking other people or something worse, like this.

I guess I'll just keep this in mind the next time some guy starts talking to me about helping him out IRL when in Goldshire (God bless the diseased souls that live there).

dalek sec:

Greed's a powerful motivator. From the kids' perspective, the guy seemed to be asking them for something that wouldn't cost anything...not in terms of currency, that is.

I need to question the parents of the kids... How could they not see the photos of their children on their computers? The kid has his own computer? The parents would still be able to get onto the computer to look at photos. Those were some heavily ignorant parents.

dalek sec:

some people will do anything for their games. I not accusing the WoW fan base of being like this (someone will think I am) but there are people like this and this guy took advantage of this fact.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here