What Are the BioWare Founders' 5 Games of the Decade?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

1. Knights of the Old Republic
2. Persona 3
3. Disgaea: Hour of Darkness
4. Star Ocean: Till the end of time
5. Mass Effect

Something to that effect. I don't really remember whole lot of games names currently.

Ya'll too fucking young.

Tribes
Tribes
Tribes
Tribes
Tribes

And out of the games that are not tribes in no particular order:
Deus Ex
Baldurs Gate 2
Morrowind
Vampire:Bloodlines
Mass Effect 2

1. Oblivion
2. Legend of Mana
3. Saint's Row 2
4. Astro Boy: Omega Factor (Treasure makes good games out of anything.)
5. Pokemon Platinum

Kinda agree with them, more or less. Wish I had played Uncharted 2, Littlebigplanet and RE4, though.

For me it's:

Bioshock
Oblivion
COD 4
Left 4 Dead w/ friends
Mass Effect or Dragon Age

Nocturne
Persona 3 FES
Digital Devil Saga
Persona 4
God Hand

Yes, I'm a SMT fan boy.

Resident Evil 4
Bioshock
Portal
Shadow of The Colossus
Assassin's Creed 2

Those kick major butt.

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
Assassins Creed 1&2
No More Heroes
saints row 2
and left 4 Dead

My top 5

5: Halo 1 - Set the bar for all FPS's of the decade.
4: Knights of the Old Republic - Best Star wars game ever.
3: Beyond Good and Evil - Criminally overlooked. Had one of the best stories ever.
2: Mass Effect series (yes, I'm cheating) - One of the greatest story-driven games I have played.
1: Timesplitters: Future Perfect - The most fun FPS ever made. Combine lots of fun, diverse, and great(over 150) characters, a plethora of unique deathmatch modes, lots of challanges and unlockables, and an absurdly easy-to-use mapmaker, and you have one of the greatest games ever.

5. Assassin's Creed 2
4. Borderlands
3. Fallout 3
2. Mass Effect (1 or 2, both are awesome)
1. Dragon Age: Origins

Damn! Another top games list? Oh wait, of this decade? Um, let's see.

1. Viewtiful Joe
2. Resident Evil 4
3. Super Smash Bros. Melee
4. Fire Emblem
5. Metroid Prime

Only Resident Evil 4 agrees with their choices.

1. Mass Effect
2. Rome: Total War
3. Left 4 Dead
4. Age of Empires III
5. Half-Life 2

Resident Evil 4 had a great story?

Cue an embarrassingly long outburst of maniacal laughter.

I don't know what to say really, the only game I really like from their lists is RE4 and they picked it for the wrong reason. I think that their taste in games is not so great but that isn't holding them back so who cares.

To answer the question.

Super Mario Galaxy
Rez HD
Shadow of The Colossus
Mount & Blade
Civilization IV

I didn't care for RE4 myself but I can understand why everyone else digs it.
Mine would have to be:
We Love Katamari
GTA San Andreas
Burnout Revenge (though sometimes I prefer Takedown)
Fallout 3 (that I will agree with them on)
Warhawk (because Unreal Tournament just missed the cutoff)

Don't ask me what order.
I'm surprised I can pick 5.

John Funk:

What are your top five?

Way to bring on a list thread.

Honestly I've only really been gaming since I was 11 and got a PS2, so my top five games of the decade are my top 5 games.

5.Fallout 3
4.Shadow of the Colossus
3.Psychonauts
2.Portal
1.Prince of Persia: the Sands of Time

(Actually come to think of it, Mass Effect 2 should be in there somewhere. Damn this new decade!)

GonzoGamer:

I'm chuckling to myself imagining the meltdown you would have had if they both picked No More Heroes, which they should have.

Mass Effect 2 (1 is good but 2 is better and NEVER has a game so infected my soul except...)
Suikoden 5 (My most obsessive play-through until Mass Effect 2 came out)
Uncharted 2 (Because I've never liked an action game MORE)
Dragon Quest 8 (So charming I cannae resist it)
Metal Gear Solid 3 (Because I love 60's Cold War Cool and the character of Naked Snake)

More Fun To Compute:

GonzoGamer:

I'm chuckling to myself imagining the meltdown you would have had if they both picked No More Heroes, which they should have.

Actually, I wouldn't have had a problem with that at all.
I can understand the appeal of No More Heroes and even it being some peoples' (like otaku) favorite game. I just don't like it when people try and say it's well made. RE4 was at least well crafted.
The sequel is on my rental list and from what I hear, I might like it more.

GonzoGamer:

Nice, I can hear you badmouth it on the forums for the next few months while I wait for a UK release date. ;)

I doubt they put too much thought into what they said, it was an interview so it would have been 30 seconds or so, probably less.

More Fun To Compute:

GonzoGamer:

Nice, I can hear you badmouth it on the forums for the next few months while I wait for a UK release date. ;)

We can hope: by that time I'll probably just be getting it from Gamefly; it's been a great season so I have a long list.

1: Oblivion - Brought RPGs into the mainstream gaming media
2: GTA 3 (and SA)
3: KOTOR

others are up for grabs.

Wasder:

corroded:

Wasder:
No Metal Gear games? I'm disappointed. And RE4? Come on.

Because the truly great Metal Gear was released in 1998?

Desert Combat for Battlefield 1942
Team Fortress 2
Portal
World of Warcraft
Call of Duty 4

MGS3? That game was almost perfect! I guess that's my opinion. I mean, personally I would say MGS4 is one of the greatest games of all time, but I do understand why a lot of people dislike it.

But none were Metal Gear Solid now where they?! Sequels granted, but not the original, and the best.

rougeknife:
Ya'll too fucking young.

Tribes
Tribes
Tribes
Tribes
Tribes

And out of the games that are not tribes in no particular order:
Deus Ex
Baldurs Gate 2
Morrowind
Vampire:Bloodlines
Mass Effect 2

I still miss my Master System and Mega Drive sometimes.

What's really scary? In 19 days in the UK you could legally sleep with someone who was born AFTER Sonic 3 game out.

Not that i ever will. I like keeping the right side of the creepy curve, just... why 22 year old girls seem to find me interesting at 26, i'll never understand.

I won't disagree with the lists. They seem rather balanced.
I myself am not a shooter fan so Bioshock, COD4 and Uncharted 2 have very little hold over me. I did like Fallout 3 though (VATS makes shooters tolerable).

All in all though, the presented games are all critically acclaimed and all worthy candidates.

But if I had to pick:
1. Demon's Souls (Easily the top RPG of 2009)
2. Valkyria Chronicles (A fresh take on the SRPG)
3. God of War (Curiously overlooked)
4. Final Fantasy X-2 (Yeah I said it, you wanna fight about it?)
5. Dragon Quest VIII (It took a great classic series and made it even better!)

1. Shadow of the Colossus - The entire game was a massive compilation of "wow" moments, bringing puzzle solving and strategic thinking into a massively action-filled game with a unique and beautiful environment to boot!
2. Soul Calibur III - The combat was as good as ever, and the character creation was outreaching, as was the Fighter-RPG style sub-campaign.
3. Final Fantasy XII - While I have no particular taste for the story in this or any other FF game, it had a wonderful combat system, beautiful environment, and amazing control of tone. There will never be a horror game that fills me with the dread of unsettling Barheim Passage, nor will I likely be more invited by the terrain than I was in Giza Plains. It was also a damn good change of pace getting to finally kill those Ivalice judges, goddamn FFTA....
4. Okami - By far the most beautiful game, in my eyes, ever made. Unique style, perfect soundtrack, and a creative combat/skill system ahead of its time.
5. Half Life 2 - What can I say? It had an amazing and immersive story and one of the most rewarding mod communities in the business.

Honorable Mention (Have not finished these games a long enough time ago to have a settled and genuine opinion)
Mass Effect 2
Bioshock

Honorable Mention (It might be in my top 5 but I just didnt know where to squeeze it in)
SSF2:THDR - Number 2 is still my favorite and the graphical updates were money well spent. The Street Fighter series in general more realistically portrays and simulates actual fighting than any other fighting game on the market. That includes UFC and Boxing games.

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
Half-Life 2
The Path
Mirror's Edge
AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! -- A Reckless Disregard for Gravity

Out of the games they listed from what I played and heard about only Bioshock would be in my top five and that may only because I never played System Shock 2...

Vagrant Story fighting system was way too frustrating for me but still a cool game if just my reflexes weren't so terrible. I have no interest in Call of Duty games, maybe just no my genre since I have no interest in multiplayer shooting games. . I have played RE 2 and the demo of RE 5 and they were both so bad from what I played I don't see how RE4 could be that good... Fallout 3 is good but not as good as the earlier games in the series and not as good as the RPGS made by Bioware... I guess I can't comment on Uncharted 2 or Little Big Planet for I doubt I will play them since I don't have a PS3, but the latter does seem to be pretty cool at least.

My top 5 of the past decade would be -

Star Wars KOTOR II
Bioshock
Dragon Age
Deus Ex (the PSX version came out in 2002 which I played first and remembering liking it a lot. :-P)
Deus EX 2 (yes the game was rather easy, dumbed down, and short BUT the levels were still less linear than most games I have played and the story was quite enjoyable.)

My top 5 of the past decade:

1. Mass Effect 2

2. Mass Effect

3. Rock Band 2

4. Littlebigplanet (played it at my brother-in-law's)

5. COD4 (phenomenal multiplayer)

I always have trouble with these "top" lists, but the ones that come to mind:

Mass Effect 1
Okami
Team Fortress 2
Baldur's Gate II & ToB expansion (I'm counting them both as one game)
Psychonauts

Oblivion should be there instead of Fallout.

And wheres the Half Life?? Geeze

Outlaw Torn:
They're both MDs? PhDs surely?

Go here A podcast including Dr. Greg Zeschuk who talks about the founding of Bioware.

Anyway. They lose a hefty chunk of my respect for picking such complete and utter shit as RE4, a fucking disgrace to the series and Fallout 3, a fucking disgrace to decent game developers everywhere who actually put time and effort into their games instead of just reskinning a old existing game.
I am so very happy that Fallout: New Vegas is not being developed by Bethesda. As soon as I heard that my interest was piqued.

The Orange Box and God of War 1/2. Those two stand out the most to me as above the rest. There are other great games out there but I couldn't really choose 3 arbitrarily to add over the others.

KOTOR (2003)
Mass Effect (2007)
Resident Evil 4 (2005)
Legend of Zelda: Majoras Mask (2000)
Portal (2007)

Id replace Mass Effect 1 with Mass Effect 2 but ME2 is a new decade.

What, no Jak and Daxter in either of those lists?

Here's mine:

Jak 2
Jak 3
Morrowind
Jak and Daxter: TPL
Oblivion.

Yup.

In no order:

1) Resident Evil 4 - the gameplay and pacing is very addicting and satisfying, yet manages to stay challenging all the way through the game (except for Saddler).
2) Half-life 2 - the atmosphere and setting were fun to become immersed with, and combat scenarios often felt varied and fresh for most new areas I visited.
3) Halo: Combat Evolved - everything in the game felt like a new start to me; the weapons were unique, the story was intriguing, the soundtrack was awesome, the enemies were mostly smart and dangerous (even grunts were a threat when chucking grenades or firing fuel rod guns)
4) Tales of Symphonia - combat never got old, nice character development, unpredictable story development (the good kind, with lots of twist plots)
5) The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - fuck, it never ends! It's just addicting side quest after addicting side quest. I love medieval fantasy themes, and it's fun to openly explore a vast world. Plus, the NPCs are buggy to the point of hilarity. XD

Honorable mention: The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay, Crackdown, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here