Nintendo Built 3D Into the Gamecube

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Nintendo Built 3D Into the Gamecube

Sony's big talk about 3D being the future of videogames is so 2001, according to Nintendo.

Sony is a major competitor of Nintendo, so if Sony's strategy is to make 3D gaming big it would only be natural for Nintendo to come out against it no matter what the company's true feelings were. However, Nintendo President and CEO Satoru Iwata's recent comments about how unimpressed he is with 3D gaming could be more than just PR spin. It turns out that Nintendo had actually designed the Gamecube, a console released in 2001, with the ability to play 3D games.

The Gamecube was Nintendo's console of the generation previous to the Wii. It didn't quite catch on as well as Nintendo had hoped, selling fewer units than both of its major competitors: the Xbox and the PS2.

But, it apparently had capabilities that went unused. In a third quarter financial results briefing, Satoru Iwata said: "To tell you the truth, GameCube is secretly designed to load graphical circuits which display graphics for right and left eyes respectively, for a future possibility of realizing 3D gaming experience" Nintendo already "had interest in this technology," but decided against the use of it. So, while he's excited about the prospect of 3D movies that would last for two hours, his dislike for lengthier 3D gaming sessions could come from actual testing done with the Gamecube or earlier.

It's come out already that Nintendo may have turned down Project Natal, Microsoft's next big thing, and now Nintendo seems to have gotten to 3D gaming, Sony's next big thing, first as well. Nintendo was able to reap the rewards by getting a true motion-controlled console out the door before all competitors, and in addition to these stories it paints the company as the best of the big three at looking at ways to innovate within the videogame console space, aside from online gaming. Should we trust Iwata that 3D gaming and Natal will not live up to their hyped potential?

(Via: GoNintendo)

Hmm... didn't know this. Well, 3D's been around for a long ass time so this doesn't really surprise me. Anyone remember the old 3D Dinosaur Adventure computer game from the mid-90's?

I am hoping that this 3D thing is a fad that will pass though. I very much dislike 3D.

I fucking love the Gamecube. Such an underrated console, with some fantastic games.

Ironically, despite their vast difference in popularity the Wii and Gamecube suffer from the same thing - lack of good third party games. It's just that the Gamecube has none of that motion sensor bollocks and the first party games were better.

Yeah, that sounds about right. Nothing Sony and Microsoft have talked about doing really excites me. I'd rather not wear dorky glasses when I'm playing my games and this whole "getting up off the couch" thing leaves me scratching my head. I'd rather go for a jog or, you know, punch at the air (because air is a dick) indiscriminately. The Wii is already pushing it but it's close enough to a normal controller that I'm not entirely out of my element when I sit down (emphasis on sit) to play.

Why didn't they release a 3D game!

I want mine.
I still have my GC left

It's all silvery

Blah, it's all gimmicky regardless. Can't we just leave the controllers with their fancy colour-coated buttons alone?

3D and motion control are just gimmicks.

I'd rather they focus on making good games than this gimmicky 3D bullcrap.

Ooh! It looks like it's coming out of the screen a bit! I'm amazed at three dimensions, despite living in 3D my whole life! Imma go move my hand back and forth in front of my face now.

Sega MasterSystem had 3D games too... the technology isn't the big deal, it's the effort of making it meaningful. Nintendo went *there* with Virtual Boy way before GameCube and slightly less successfully. I think it sounds like they're eating out of a big bag of sour grapes now that someone else is ready to give it a shot.

the 3d thing is kinda gimmicky, i can see why nintendo decided against it, we will see how natal performs (though im doubtful)

Nintendo wants minimal spending with max profit, it's no secret.

Now imagine, motion control, 3d vision AND natal capabilities bonded together..

Lovely, no?

Good ol' Gamecube, I love you.

It's kind of bugging me how everything has to be 3D these days. You know, where they add IN 3D!! at the end of every trailer? What ever happened to just normal games and movies?

Volafortis:
3D and motion control are just gimmicks.

Agreed. Now Virtual Reality on the other hand...XD

Booze Zombie:
Nintendo wants minimal spending with max profit, it's no secret.

Isn't that the same with most companies?

Until motion sensitive controls are more intuitive and less waiving your arms around like a fool, AND 3D doesn't require glasses; I want no part of either.

headshotcatcher:

Lovely, no?

I'd be an abomination. Sony isn't that far off though I mean: Eye toy+ wand+ 3D seems to be on the horizon for them and I couldn't care less. I'll try to rent myself a wand and see if it works better than the Wii but my hopes aren't very high.

Cyberdyne's (the coalition of Microsoft and Sony) big talk about cybernetic lifeforms is so 2015, according to Nintendo.

Cyberdyne is a major competitor of Nintendo, so if Cyberdyne's strategy is to make self aware robotic lifeforms big it would only be natural for Nintendo to come out against it no matter what the company's true feelings were. However, Nintendo President and CEO Satoru Iwata's recent comments about how unimpressed he is with cybernetic lifeforms could be more than just PR spin. It turns out that Nintendo had actually designed the T-1, a machine first placed into production in 2015, with the ability to play terminate organic lifeforms.

The T-1 was Nintendo's prototype of the generation previous to the T-1000. It didn't quite catch on as well as Nintendo had hoped, killing fewer personnel than both of its major competitors: the Orbital Laser and Cobra Suits.

But, it apparently had capabilities that went unused. In a third quarter financial results briefing, Satoru Iwata said: "To tell you the truth, the T-1 is secretly designed to unload ICBMs which contain pathogens for biological and chemical agents respectively, for a future possibility of realizing the complete annihilation of the human race" Nintendo already "had interest in this technology," but decided against the use of it. So, while he's excited about the prospect of agents that would last for two hours, his dislike for lengthier half-life could come from actual testing done with the T-1 or earlier.

It's come out already that Nintendo may have turned down Autobots, Apple's next big thing, and now Nintendo seems to have gotten to cybernetic lieforms, Cyberdyne's next big thing, first as well. Nintendo was able to reap the rewards by getting a liquid metal robotic out the door before all competitors, and in addition to these stories it paints the company as the best of the big three at looking at ways to innovate within the military application space, aside from tele-existence. Should we trust Iwata that Terminators and Autobots will not live up to their hyped potential?

Remember, when it happens, I called it.

Yaaaaaay I knew that little GC was the best! I love that thing!

NamesAreHardToPick:
Sega MasterSystem had 3D games too... the technology isn't the big deal, it's the effort of making it meaningful. Nintendo went *there* with Virtual Boy way before GameCube and slightly less successfully. I think it sounds like they're eating out of a big bag of sour grapes now that someone else is ready to give it a shot.

I was about to mention Nintendo's really bad experience with the Virtual Boy... Of course the tech available today could make for an experience that's more pleasant and more meaningful just for it's texture enriched graphics. But it does seem likely that Nintendo has put in the time testing the tech in practical circumstances, seeing as they have two past products that support the concept.

Tom Goldman:
Should we trust Iwata that 3D gaming and Natal will not live up to their hyped potential?

Well, we used to say in Deo speramus, but maybe for gaming we should call it in Iwata speramus? If they passed it up for a reason when it was more or less their focus at the time, one is inclined to wonder why. Maybe the motion control trend is dying, and Nintendo knows?

Oh, and you:

Random Bobcat:

Cyberdyne's (the coalition of Microsoft and Sony) big talk about cybernetic lifeforms is so 2015, according to Nintendo.

Cyberdyne is a major competitor of Nintendo, so if Cyberdyne's strategy is to make self aware robotic lifeforms big it would only be natural for Nintendo to come out against it no matter what the company's true feelings were. However, Nintendo President and CEO Satoru Iwata's recent comments about how unimpressed he is with cybernetic lifeforms could be more than just PR spin. It turns out that Nintendo had actually designed the T-1, a machine first placed into production in 2015, with the ability to play terminate organic lifeforms.

The T-1 was Nintendo's prototype of the generation previous to the T-1000. It didn't quite catch on as well as Nintendo had hoped, killing fewer personnel than both of its major competitors: the Orbital Laser and Cobra Suits.

But, it apparently had capabilities that went unused. In a third quarter financial results briefing, Satoru Iwata said: "To tell you the truth, the T-1 is secretly designed to unload ICBMs which contain pathogens for biological and chemical agents respectively, for a future possibility of realizing the complete annihilation of the human race" Nintendo already "had interest in this technology," but decided against the use of it. So, while he's excited about the prospect of agents that would last for two hours, his dislike for lengthier half-life could come from actual testing done with the T-1 or earlier.

It's come out already that Nintendo may have turned down Autobots, Apple's next big thing, and now Nintendo seems to have gotten to cybernetic lieforms, Cyberdyne's next big thing, first as well. Nintendo was able to reap the rewards by getting a liquid metal cybernetic out the door before all competitors, and in addition to these stories it paints the company as the best of the big three at looking at ways to innovate within the military application space, aside from tele-existence. Should we trust Iwata that Terminators and Autobots will not live up to their hyped potential?

Remember, when it happens, I called it.

You sir should have fun here. That was quite enjoyable, not to mention completely on point. 100 posts and a month later, Welcome to the Escapist.

AvsJoe:
Hmm... didn't know this. Well, 3D's been around for a long ass time so this doesn't really surprise me. Anyone remember the old 3D Dinosaur Adventure computer game from the mid-90's?

I am hoping that this 3D thing is a fad that will pass though. I very much dislike 3D.

Yes, we need 4D ALL READY! COME ON WE JUST CAME UP WITH IT WHERE IS IT ON CONSOLES!

Screw 3D, it's all about the vitality sensor, that's gonna be some craAaAzy shizzle!

I knew it i just new it. Nintendo truly are good peoples. Now as for the whole 3D thing i say BAH. Just keep games to controllers and not advanced charades. I'm talking to you Project Natal and Ipet

Well it doesn't really matter if Nintendo "gets to" all the big things before its competitors, if it doesn't use them then its useless isn't it?

That is, afterall, how the Playstation came to existence in the first place.

Can I just point out that this perception that the Gamecube failed but the Xbox did fine is completely wrong?

In fact, both consoles sold mid 20 million units (I think it's 22 Gamecubes and 25 Xboxes) and neither came even close to the PS2. The Xbox didn't do significantly better than the 'Cube and it had a significantly worse software lineup (the Gamecube actually had more GOTYs than the PS2 by the end of its run).

The narrative that the Xbox did better is based on it doing better than expected. Microsoft knew it was going to bomb and treated it like an experiment from the beginning, always claiming that they'd have a fast replacement that would make them a serious competitor, while Nintendo was expected to have a PS2 killer.

Ironically, it was Nintendo that came out with a refurbished Gamecube and won the next gen race, while the 360 is tied in worldwide sales with Sony despite a year's headstart, in exactly the same position they were last generation (i.e. distant second place, nearly tied with the third).

headshotcatcher:

Lovely, no?

Judge for yourself:

Actually, the Gamecube was outdone as well by one of the worst selling game consoles ever, the VirtualBoy.

honestly, the 3D idea doesn't sit well with me. Outside of fixed camera view, I have no idea how this would even work out, and I get sore eyes from so much as an hour and a half in theaters using 3D glasses, let alone a 60 hour video game.

So if I keep my Gamecube, I've already "upgraded" from the Wii?

Fantastic.

And once more, Nintendo pulls it off before everybody else. That, my friends, is why I think Nintendo is the best system. They always create the hardware for the really cool stuff first. 20-1 odds that they make workable VR Games first.

It had some great games the ole' cube! I miss it.

Finally! Someone else, besides me, thinks 3D is shit.

He's using his Japanese mind-games, they're just trying to play down all of the hype over 3D gaming so that they can release Wii-D (3D Wii essentially) as their next console.

Just like Nintendo to put a feature into their console and never use it. The port on the bottom of the SNES/N64 (besides the thing that didn't make it out of japan) and the modem which was a highly ignored accessory that Nintendo more abused than anything else. Yes they either had a device planned or had one that failed but they never seem to really push to use these extras which just strikes me as odd being that it's often a useful thing to have an extra port for a new function.

You realise of course, that this means there's a fair chance that the Wii can do it too?
It is after all, very similar to the gamecube hardware.

Then again, they could have removed the circuitry involved.

Meanwhile, on PC, NVIDIA's hardware has supported 3d for a really long time.

As, apparently, has Ati's (though they've never released publicly available support for it.) - (I know this because the publicly released technical documents for the X1000 series and even it's predecessor mention several things designed to output the information needed for shutter glasses.)

Personally though, I don't think 3d is going to work that well until we get past the stereoscopic technology, and into holographic technology. (such as SeeReal's research projects), which overcome the main source of headaches, AND no longer require the use of glasses for the effect to work.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here