ARG Gives Early Access to Heavy Rain Demo

Pages 1 2 NEXT

ARG Gives Early Access to Heavy Rain Demo

The skies aren't scheduled to darken for Heavy Rain until later this month, but solving Sony's alternate reality game could make it happen early.

Heavy Rain has already gone gold and is off to the presses, with a demo announced for release on February 11. Nevertheless, Sony has offered an opportunity to get an early, early taste with its Heavy Rain alternate reality game, which when completed offers a code to download the Heavy Rain demo right now.

The ARG takes place on a map covering a corkboard, the kind you might see in any investigator's office (or on the TV show Flash Forward). Properly solving the game's mystery involves submitting the four correct pieces of evidence. Clicking on various parts of the board will bring up objects, or random Facebook pages.

Unfortunately, the demo appears to be available only to PlayStation 3 owners from Europe, as the code I received was not valid for my North American PlayStation Network account. However, it was valid in an acquaintance's European account.

The ARG's website was overloaded for most of the day, but seems to be functioning again. You might want to reload the game if the pins don't show up on your board, or if there is a lot of gray. This is what happened the first time for me, making the game completely confusing, forcing me to take off my Sherlock Holmes hat and cheat.

The answers to the ARG are already well known, so I might as well be a pal and share them here too (via Kotaku). If you want to play the ARG legitimately, don't read what's in the following spoiler tag:

Yes, I've played the demo, and I don't want to spoil anything, but it was pretty shocking that the Origami Killer is...

(Via: Kotaku)

I knew it!!! Crunch must be brought to justice!

Intresting advertising campaign. Something fresh at least

Can anyone else confirm it is not available in the US?

Damn it, the website isn't working for me!

I'll try again in a few hours.

Times like this make me feel upset that I do not own a PS3 or 360...

And then I put on my elitist face...

and prance around shouting loudly and happily about my gaming PC.

And then I cry in a corner as I look at a Ratchet and Clank video and miss my sweet lombax hero :(

Damn that site is slow on loading. It is like dial up all over again. *shivers*

Captain crunch...you MAGNIFICENT BASTARD...I ate your cearal!

He killed the cookie crisp dog!

Well, I can double confirm it. Not working for US accounts. Sigh

Jiraiya72:
Can anyone else confirm it is not available in the US?

Yeah. I just went through all that work, waiting literally 30+ seconds for each of the website pages to load, get the key, and it says it's invalid.

Jiraiya72:

You can just make a European account, it's easy.

I just tried... and it worked flawlessly. Have my code and now im off to bed!

The site loaded for me... finally. But then I had to register. Bleh, screw that, I won't even bother with the demo anyway, I'll just wait for the real thing. I've seen enough of the gameplay trailers to tell me that I'd be interested in it anyway.

Tom Goldman:

Jiraiya72:

That doesn't work. I made one then went to log in and it said I can't use another user's email to log in.

I'm downloading the demo right now, but it's taking a very long time. According to my calculations, I'll be done in 20 hours.

Assassin Xaero:

Tom Goldman:

Jiraiya72:

That doesn't work. I made one then went to log in and it said I can't use another user's email to log in.

Actually, I just went and made one and am downloading demo now. Your email doesn't matter. Just fake all the info, it still accepts it.

Jiraiya72:

Assassin Xaero:

Tom Goldman:

Jiraiya72:

Actually, I just went and made one and am downloading demo now. Your email doesn't matter. Just fake all the info, it still accepts it.

I tried that, but it is actually a real email I had (different one). Then I logged out of my account on my PS3, but it wouldn't let me log into that one...

Assassin Xaero:

Jiraiya72:

Assassin Xaero:

Tom Goldman:

Jiraiya72:

I tried that, but it is actually a real email I had (different one). Then I logged out of my account on my PS3, but it wouldn't let me log into that one...

I'm not really sure what to tell you. There is probably something tiny you're overlooking.

Assassin Xaero:

Tom Goldman:

Jiraiya72:

Not sure why it doesn't work for you. You need to use a different email (as you say you are) for a different PSN account, and be logged into your European account. Should work, as it did for me.

Jiraiya72:

Assassin Xaero:

Jiraiya72:

Assassin Xaero:

Tom Goldman:

Jiraiya72:

I'm not really sure what to tell you. There is probably something tiny you're overlooking.

Well, I had made another user on there before, then turned my PS3 on, logged in with that one, and went to the store. It asked me to enter location; put in UK and used my UK account, and now it worked. Go figure...

Assassin Xaero:

Jiraiya72:

Assassin Xaero:

Jiraiya72:

Assassin Xaero:

Tom Goldman:

Jiraiya72:

Well, I had made another user on there before, then turned my PS3 on, logged in with that one, and went to the store. It asked me to enter location; put in UK and used my UK account, and now it worked. Go figure...

=D

Jiraiya72:

Assassin Xaero:

Jiraiya72:

Assassin Xaero:

Jiraiya72:

Assassin Xaero:

Tom Goldman:

Jiraiya72:

=D

If you make a new User on your PS3, you can synch it with a new PSN account.

played the demo and it was really awesome, also a note: turn your brightness up in the options, for some reason the demo defaults to a bit darker setting

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! I don't get to play it. now I will diffidently book a flight to Europe.... all flights sold out? nnnnoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.....

CloggedDonkey:
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! I don't get to play it. now I will diffidently book a flight to Europe.... all flights sold out? nnnnoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.....

Just make a European PSN account.

Grayjack72:

CloggedDonkey:

Just make a European PSN account.

ho ya, that's another thing; I don't have a PS3. I really should buy one for this game, but I doubt I'd be able to get one. so, see above for the "no".

Played through the demo, it was fun can't wait till the real thing comes out.

Tom, I love you, if I could I'd transmit my hugs and kisses and "OMIGODOHMIGODTHANKYOUTHANKYOU!"'s across the internet.

But I'll spare you with just a tremendous;

THANK YOU

I shall post my opinion on it shortly after I play it.

After playing the demo, I'd have to say It has nudged me even more in the direction of buying it. Not that I needed more nudging, however. The first half was a lot more fun than the second half, but overall good.

I have mixed opinions about ARGs, I haven't found any that have really sucked me in or inspired me.

That said, to me the idea of an Interactive Movie is nothing new, I'm passing on this one for a while. Besides I've already spent a ton on games in only two months.

I am a bit surprised that are catering to Europe, but then again it is a growing economy at a time when the US is in more trouble.

I'm very excited for this game, sucks that the demo code is only available in Europe though. Honestly, why isn't it functioning in North America? Hopefully it's just a glitch.

Just finished the demo and it really is an amazing and dynamic piece. From what I've played it is a cross between Dragon's Lair and all of the best parts of 24 and CSI. If this doesn't revolutionize modern storytelling in video games, then I don't know what will.

It is very beautiful and engaging and I highly recommend putting the work into setting up a UK account and grabbing this demo.

I'm going to go play it a third time to see if I missed anything.

Can't be bothered to make a European account, I'll just try the demo, once it's released to the public. Check out the registration for the site; there isn't even an option for Canada. I guess Canada has no gamers in it

If anyone wants a free code then:

K6KL-FGB8-7NNK

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook