Rapper Takes on Super Mario Land's Oddities

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Rapper Takes on Super Mario Land's Oddities

This rapper feels that Super Mario Land was motherf**king weird, motherf**ker.

Duane Zuwala, also known as 8bitduane, is a rapper that spits his rhymes over the music of classic videogames. His most recent work covers Super Mario Land, the first Mario game to hit the Game Boy back in 1989. It's a little racy, if young, impressionable children happen to be around.

Super Mario Land was a very weird game compared to the other Super Mario titles. Koopa Troopa shells exploded when jumped upon, a sphinx and a spaceship are end-bosses, "fireballs" bounce around the screen, and there are even segments that put Mario in a plane for shooter-style gameplay. The game appears to have confused Duane, and he wrote this song about it.

I like Duane's work. This is the third video available on his YouTube channel, with others covering Castlevania II and Bad Dudes. Duane and his associates properly put his lyrics in each video so you can understand what he's saying. Some lines show that Duane is not just rapping over classic tunes and that he actually understands the games' content, saying that "liars and cheaters are all around" in Castlevania II's town (as townspeople lied in that game).

Duane's Myspace page hints that a song about Genesis classic Comix Zone is coming up next. He's already got a bunch of other songs and appears to be developing one video a week at this point in time. Duane could be the master of retro-inspired videogame music that includes the work "f**k."

(Via: GameVideos)

Hah! I generally dislike Rap, but I think I can listen to this one a few times over. Makes for a good laugh at least.

Certainly unique XD I suppose I can let this slide =P

http://music.todaysbigthing.com/2009/04/01
This was how I first found out about him.
And I hate rap.

This song makes me want to shoot myself in the head.

Omikron009:

YES! I'm not the only one that hated this!

I heart nerdcore.
For more in this vein check out
(Rock/Hardcore version) HORSE the band.
(Another rapper) Charles Hamilton. He's a huge Sonic fan and he incorporates the game sounds into his music. There was one interview where he basically said "Sonic is my religion".

Tom Goldman:
Duane's Myspace page hints that a song about Genesis classic Comix Zone is coming up next.

NO! NO NO NO NO NO! NON NON NON NON NON! NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN! Stay AWAY from Comix Zone you [insert insults here].

God I hate rap "artists"...

I'm just sad that Duane and Brando are no longer a team. Everyone remember the Epic Megaman 2 rap? Yeah, that was both of them. Now, that'll never happen again.

This is still awesome, though.

Loved it haha. Stuff like this is always fun for me to watch.

I loved this video and was gonna make a post about it later tonight, I guess the escapist ninja'd me this time. Drat you

Wow, every other word seemed liked it was "fuck" or "motherfucker". Quite surprising for a nerdcore rapper.

Mstrswrd:
I'm just sad that Duane and Brando are no longer a team. Everyone remember the Epic Megaman 2 rap? Yeah, that was both of them. Now, that'll never happen again.

They're not together anymore? NOOOOOooo!

Mstrswrd:

What happened to them? The Mega Man rap was their best work IMO.

That is actually pretty awesome. That guy has some talent.

tsu-money:

Mstrswrd:

They split up. Creative differences and the like.

Still. Duane and Brando are some pretty talented dudes.

I was smiling all the way through that. :D

I loved that game as a kid, only now I realise how different it was to the other ones. Makes me want to find my big fat ass grey Gameboy and see if I can find the game.
I know the Gameboys somewhere...

If you didn't like that you won't like this either, also made with the old school Mario tune.

Tom Goldman:
music

I'm fairly certain you can be sued for false advertisement there...

... But anyways. This is pretty bad... The lyrics seem particularly uninspired at best, horribly forced at worst, he seems to have some sort of speech impediment as he finishes every sentence with what sounds like "HUUUR" ("in my CHURRR", "over DHUURR", "in this HUUUR"), he needs serious diction lessons and his English makes me hurt a little inside.

Managed to watch around a minute and a half before my will to kick the "rapper" in the teeth overcame my curiosity to see if he was going anywhere...

Mstrswrd:

Luckily since Duane is the stronger of the two I don't doubt we'll see something of that caliber again. And I honestly think Brando puts out stronger stuff on his own so this is ultimately a good thing for us, it's just a shame things fell apart for the reasons they did.

Caliostro:

Tom Goldman:
music

I'm fairly certain you can be sued for false advertisement there...

... But anyways. This is pretty bad... The lyrics seem particularly uninspired at best, horribly forced at worst, he seems to have some sort of speech impediment as he finishes every sentence with what sounds like "HUUUR" ("in my CHURRR", "over DHUURR", "in this HUUUR"), he needs serious diction lessons and his English makes me hurt a little inside.

Managed to watch around a minute and a half before my will to kick the "rapper" in the teeth overcame my curiosity to see if he was going anywhere...

The main thing that disappoints me is the mixing. They've always had that problem, y'know, where you can hear the music but you can barely tell what the rappers are saying. I'll agree with you that when the lyrics fall flat they bomb, but the better rhymes redeem it in my opinion.

Of course, if I'm perfectly honest, I'd have no patience for this guy if he wasn't doing video game raps. His biggest strength is that he knows how to evoke nostalgia. But I'd tune him out completely if the music wasn't technically sound and the lyrics weren't damn hilarious sometimes. His take on Robotnik in the Sonic the Hedgehog rap was hilarious-it was one of the rare cases when I liked it better because I couldn't understand it.

I approve of this. It's essentially video game fun with music. And I say GO AHEAD and do Comix Zone. That game's a classic.

I dunno. I usually hate rap, but differences aside, I actually like this. Especially the ending(not the burp).

Loved it. I always enjoy it when rappers branch out into video game territory. It shows great creativity and a fond appreciation of the games.

At first I hated it. I hated hated hated it. Then it started to grow on me. Now I love it. Thanks, Escapist.

Mstrswrd:

Whyd they split?

i honestly dont like it

You realize that he used to rap with Brando under "The adventures of duane and brando"? They recently split up, but they've made music for like a year.

This article is not news at all.

Or perhaps I should ask, why was this article not written a year ago when they debuted?

Epic.

AboveUp:

Mstrswrd:

They're not together anymore? NOOOOOooo!

tsu-money:

Mstrswrd:

B-lockdown080:

Mstrswrd:

Whyd they split?

There was a lot of reasons.
One is that they had some creative differences; brando wanted the songs to be more focused on music and duane on the lyrics.

The actual reasons are complicated; Duane's wife cheated on him and Brando knew about it. So bam already he is emotionally unstable, then the mudslinging starts and Duane accuses brando of being just generally a douche. Then Brando wanted to still relase the CD, duane wanted him to either strip all his vocals from it or release it for free, as he was "tired of brando banking off all his work and never paying him".

And the list of colourful comments go on and on.

Though in the end I think they parted on somewhat good terms.

Mushroomfreak111:

Omikron009:

YES! I'm not the only one that hated this!

I disliked it but Ive heard worse

tsu-money:

Mstrswrd:

try this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykkdvYThT_Y&feature=PlayList&p=F409FB5E3F3C1CE3&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=11 it is epic.

Flamingpenguin:
I dunno. I usually hate rap, but differences aside, I actually like this. Especially the ending(not the burp).

Rap's not all that bad- I think it's more creative than death metal, overall, though both of them have some extremely tired components. The only rap I like is Rage Against the Machine, which only sort of counts, and the stuff that's intended to be funny.

Flamingpenguin:

The burp I was not a fan of either.

Not really a fan of rap myself, or C64/demoscene/tracker music, but I found this to be alright. Nostalgia is a good cashcow, and I've got a soft spot for the Captain Obvious style humor.

"Mega man, I hope you're ready to die! My spaceship shoots three balls at a time!"

Duane and Brando are AWESOME SAUCEUM. They aren't working together anymore?

PS: Haters be hatin, Hater's be nothin but shit >:|

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or