Dragon Age: Origins Goes Platinum Thrice

Pages 1 2 NEXT

BioWare makes really good games, and people love them enough to actually purchase them in stores, is there really anything else to say?

If BioWare's epic RPG didn't sell a buttload, that'd actually be news. Regardless, the world should know that Dragon Age: Origins has sold over 3.2 million copies worldwide. This is according to internal EA data, which also claims that Madden is part of a healthy child's education, so take it with a grain of salt.

Seriously though, there's no reason to doubt this announcement. Dragon Age: Origins is a great game, and its developers pulled off creating a different kind of fantasy world that doesn't plop in the same orcs and goblins we've seen before. I'm not sure the world Dragon Age takes place in has ever been named (though if it has I would be interested to find out), but it's rife with lore and is as deep as fantasy worlds come. This is evident in the constant stream of Dragon Age DLC that has already hit us, with a full retail expansion, Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening, scheduled for release on March 16.

According to EA's press release, this makes the sixth major blockbuster BioWare has released in a row, following Baldur's Gate (still my favorite), Neverwinter Nights, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Jade Empire, and Mass Effect. I'm not sure why EA didn't list Mass Effect 2 amongst those properties, as the company revealed in late January that it sold 2 million copies in its first week, which puts it in even higher standings than Dragon Age. Maybe EA doesn't consider a game a blockbuster unless it goes triple plat, yo.

Go go Bioware! Goes to prove epic games dont need to be all about shooting! People still <3 the medievil!

Hurraaaay! Good news!

I'm glad the game sold well... despite having to get it for the PS3, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Cool. Now if only I could get around to finishing it.

Jade Empire is still, and always will be, at least until a sequel, my favorite Bioware game.

Well... congratulations, I guess.

I think the world Dragon Age takes place in is called Thedas.
Could be wrong.

And congrats to Bioware.

They know how to make some damn good games.

so? 3 million is kinda low these days for games.

that beign said, my brother brought this game. i dont like it.

Maybe now they can get on to getting me The Old Republic now.

Onyx Oblivion:
Cool. Now if only I could get around to finishing it.

Jade Empire is still, and always will be, at least until a sequel, my favorite Bioware game.

For some reason it didn't get on my radar until a year after release. All that time... lost.

Irridium:

You're right. The world is Thedas, the country is Ferelden.

Grats to Bioware. Well deserved.

Tom Goldman:

I'm not sure the world Dragon Age takes place in has ever been named (though if it has I would be interested to find out)

Oh I don't remember Thedas being mentioned in the game, I must have missed that part of a conversation, mind you I have had so many conversations with side quests and main story characters, it wouldn't be hard to miss it.

And if it wasn't for my nephew telling me how great the combat and storyline was I probably would have missed this gem.

Onyx Oblivion:

Wow, really? That's a first.

Cool...

That's a lot of games...

Very nice job, Bioware. Although they don't need me to tell them that.

Tom Goldman:
Seriously though, there's no reason to doubt this announcement. Dragon Age: Origins is a great game,

Agreed.

Tom Goldman:

and its developers pulled off creating a different kind of fantasy world that doesn't plop in the same orcs and goblins we've seen before.

Which version were you playing? I must have bought the standard fantasy world edition by accident.

Just to make it clear,I rather enjoy the game. I think it's groovey pants and stonking great. I am saying this because what I'm about to say may make it as if I dont like the game, which I do. Alot.

Now, I'm sick and tired of people labeling Dragon Age Origins as:"Dark Fantasy." To me, it sounds like pretentious hype hogwash only equally pretentious idiots would believe. (with no offense to the Escapist staff, who seem to use the:"Dark Fantasy" label regularly when talking about the game more than I use the phrase "Kick-Ass" when describing my collection of kinky ass-kicking sex machines). Sure, the game does somethings different (like making the Elves former slaves and nomadic or making the dwarves largely underground xenophobic dicks that make Red-Necks look like welcoming saints, and making Orzammar lie directly above the great evil's bachelor pad), but for the most part,it's straight fantasy classic. Theirs an ancient evil coming to destroy the land (which look quite a lot like orcs and goblins, which I find weird for Goldman to not realize), while most of the land they come to destroy is disorganized due to a civil war between Man, and as a protaganist, your job is to unite the land against the great evil and take out their leader. If you seriously don't find anything reminscent of a standard fantasy plot, than God, Buddha, Muhammed, Shiva, Chuck Noris, or whatever deity you worship help you,preferably by smacking you around a bit.

Despite the fact the new aspects allow the game's plot to be executed in a fun and compelling way, the fact remains that under all those new layers of rock lies a massive spring of tried, true, and old. The story is still awesome, but calling it dark is nothing short of madness!

"Madness? This is Sparta!"

*Gets kicked in pit of Death by Leonidus*

-Your friendly neighborhood pervert, Sexy Guy.

Amnestic:

Irridium:

I'm not sure, Thedas appears to be a continent according to some Wiki.

lee1287:
so? 3 million is kinda low these days for games.

No it isn't.
Halo and Call of Duty are just exceptions to the rule.
3 million units sold is an awesome mile-stone for a game.

More on topic: Hurray! I'm a part of that statistic! I'm helping! Dragon Age is a great game! I'll probably play through it again after I beat ME2. 30 hours in, and I just got to the 'suicide mission'! Hello end game!
And, though it has already been said, Bioware rocks the socks of the RPG world.
Best RPGs I've ever played, hands down.

Tom Goldman:

Amnestic:

Irridium:

I'm not sure, Thedas appears to be a continent according to some Wiki.

And...you're correct. Huh. Going with how Wiki's location for Thedas is "World" I guess they haven't given us a name yet. Guess I was wrong, just assumed Thedas was the world since that was all we've seen of it so far afaik.

I'm glad Dragon Age has sold well, it makes me happy to see an old-school style RPG become successful.

Yay for talking simulators!!!!^.^

the game is quite epic to say the least

Well GZ. I wonder for which platform it sold the most. Any data on that?

Crazy_Bird:

Tom Goldman:

and its developers pulled off creating a different kind of fantasy world that doesn't plop in the same orcs and goblins we've seen before.

Which version were you playing? I must have bought the standard fantasy world edition by accident.

Elves as lowest class servants and travelling gypsies, mages as opressed and enslaved people, dwarves that consider beards optional and killing eachother as part of a healthy politcal system, no Orcs or Goblins... That's standard fantasy setting to you?

Yay for Bioware

Irridium:
Could be wrong.

And congrats to Bioware.

They know how to make some damn good games.

No... its definitely called Thedas.

Yeah... there's a magic items shop in Denerim called "The Wonders of Thedas" and a lot of characters make references like "throughout all of Thedas nothing is as..." Which either means that the whole world is called Thedas, or just the continent that the game takes place on... not to be confused with the nation it takes place in... that would be Fereldon obviously.

TheAmazingTGIF:

Screw that - KotOR 3.

NOW.

Please.

Suskie:

Onyx Oblivion:

Wow, really? That's a first.

Doesn't any one feel that jade empire kinda feels like a mk ripoff with out the mk characters? like a really REALLY good ripoff? Still to this day Jade Empire is my least favorite game.... but its good.

Bioware has two things in every game they made besides what you buy it for.
1. THAT level that lowers the replay value because you have to play it again. (DA:O mage tower, opening of kotor II)
2. The Totally unexpected, unannounced, completely unseen point of no return mission that when you activate it you can't go anywhere else until you beat the game. (one word: VIRMIRE)

Well, that's what happens when you make an awesome game.

I'll put in another voice to confirm that the world of Dragon Age is called Thedas, which is actually an acronym for THE D(ragon) A(ge) S(etting). This is how the fans referred to it on the forums after the game was announced and the developpers took to it.

Edit : Or it might be the continent, I have no proof one way or the other.

Woodsey:

TheAmazingTGIF:

Screw that - KotOR 3.

NOW.

Please.

Either way can we just get more KoTOR? Note: 2 does NOT count.

Tom Goldman:

According to EA's press release, this makes the sixth major blockbuster BioWare has released in a row, following Baldur's Gate (still my favorite), Neverwinter Nights, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Jade Empire, and Mass Effect. I'm not sure why EA didn't list Mass Effect 2 amongst those properties, as the company revealed in late January that it sold 2 million copies in its first week, which puts it in even higher standings than Dragon Age. Maybe EA doesn't consider a game a blockbuster unless it goes triple plat, yo.

Because chronologically, Mass Effect 2 would be the seventh major blockbuster the BioWare has released in a row.

Good gods Bioware is awesome. Amazing stream of games. I do rather like Dragon Age over NVN and Baldurs Gate, though Kotor and Mass Effect certainly merit their sales.

TheAmazingTGIF:

Woodsey:

TheAmazingTGIF:

Screw that - KotOR 3.

NOW.

Please.

Oh my...

I think you're going to have to be my new best friend "/

EDIT: On a side-note, why the hell am I on probation? That guy was being a dick and he knows it.

Woodsey:

TheAmazingTGIF:

Woodsey:

TheAmazingTGIF:

Screw that - KotOR 3.

NOW.

Please.

Oh my...

I think you're going to have to be my new best friend "/

EDIT: On a side-note, why the hell am I on probation? That guy was being a dick and he knows it.

I like friends.

OT: Why did they not include ME2? Perhaps because it was released sometime after DA:O? But if it did sell 2 Million in its first week you would think that EA would be all over that.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here