Miyamoto Made Pikmin for Japanese Schoolgirls

Miyamoto Made Pikmin for Japanese Schoolgirls

Why did Nintendo's legendary Shigeru Miyamoto make Pikmin? He wanted to appeal to high school girls, that's why.

When it comes to game design, there are a scant few people who can be trusted to weave pure gold almost every time, and Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto is on that very short list. The man has been noted for his ability to create the fantastic from the mundane: Much of Miyamoto's inspiration for games like Mario and Zelda came from his childhood exploring in the Japanese countryside; similarly, 2001's Pikmin came from his fondness for gardening.

Gardening may have been what inspired Pikmin, but what about the why? "Every once in a while, you want to make something that high school girls can get into," Miyamoto said at a recent symposium (where he also confirmed that Nintendo was developing new hardware). He wanted to make a game that said schoolgirls would be able to pick up and play - an obvious precursor of the "gaming should be accessible to everybody" philosophy that drove the development of the Wii.

Good to know, Mr. Miyamoto. I'm sure that there are plenty of gamers out there who would love to hear you elaborate on your thoughts on appealing to Japanese schoolgirls. Though I suspect your intentions might be a bit more wholesome.

(4Gamer via Kotaku)

Funnily enough, my little sister who has been in High School for 3 years now, has just turned on her Wii and put Pikmin for the gamecube in it.

That doesn't sound surprising. The man made a great game anyway, despite whatever target audience he was trying to reach to.

*awaits pedophilia-related jokes*

I don't know any girls who are into gardening. And that's kinda creepy of Miyamoto. Even if he meant nothing bad by it.

There's a pedobear joke in here somewhere I know it.

Anyway, its always nice to find out what the inspirations for some creations are, or why they are made.

O.O

the horror... the images... oh god...

I still dont think its as creepy as milo (shivers)

John Funk:
(where he also confirmed that Nintendo was developing new hardware)

WHY IS THAT A SUBPLOT?!

OT: Well...
Now I'm ashamed that I enjoyed those games...

Question.

Why is it only pedophilia when in reference to girls? It's not like there aren't plenty of game companies with products aimed to appeal to teenage boys. How is this more creepy?

DeadlyYellow:
Question.

Why is it only pedophilia when in reference to girls? It's not like there aren't plenty of game companies with products aimed to appeal to teenage boys. How is this more creepy?

Most likely because teen girls get raped more than teen boys.
See Rapelay.

I didn't make a joke!
What has happened to me?!

ProtoChimp:
I still dont think its as creepy as milo (shivers)

True true, the picture they where using on this website for Milo creeped me the hell out.

OT: i loved pikman so much, a lot of fun!

"Good to know, Mr. Miyamoto. I'm sure that there are plenty of gamers out there who would love to hear you elaborate on your thoughts on appealing to Japanese schoolgirls. Though I suspect your intentions might be a bit more wholesome."

Roflmao. good one Funk ^-^ b

Meh, the game's still brilliant anyways, regardless of Miyamoto's target demographic. No word on when Pikmin 3 is coming out, though, eh?

Pikmin is awesome, so make more games for high school girls, Miyamoto :)

DeadlyYellow:
Question.

That's how. :)

(On a side-note that pic took me a whole 5 minutes of half-assed effort on MS paint)

Irridium:
There's a pedobear joke in here somewhere I know it.

Anyway, its always nice to find out what the inspirations for some creations are, or why they are made.

And I thought I was the only adult trying to appeal to high school girls.

HA

John Funk:
Though I suspect your intentions might be a bit more wholesome.

Would they?

I mean, gaming deity or not, the man is still Japanese... :P

hURR dURR dERP:
-snip-

I must say, your avatar is wonderfully appropriate.

Regardless of who he tried to appeal to, Pikmin was a fantastic game.

John Funk:
When it comes to game design, there are a scant few people who can be trusted to weave pure gold almost every time, and Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto is on that very short list.

Really? He also designed Wii Music, which was apparently horrible. Popular, but quite horrible, especially for Miyamoto standards.

Explains why it was so random lol

Cowabungaa:
Regardless of who he tried to appeal to, Pikmin was a fantastic game.

John Funk:
When it comes to game design, there are a scant few people who can be trusted to weave pure gold almost every time, and Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto is on that very short list.

Really? He also designed Wii Music, which was apparently horrible. Popular, but quite horrible, especially for Miyamoto standards.

That would be the *almost* stressed there ;)

This doesn't change my views on Nintendo, Miyamoto, or Japanese schoolgirls. I already knew that this was a winning combination.

Further proof that Mr. Miyamoto is the Mad Hatter of the gaming industry. I kid, I kid. Peter Molyneux fulfills that role.

It's interesting that he chose a RTS game to appeal to the female demographic. Both sexes are easily able to grasp the concept of more complicated game genres like RTSes and 'deep' RPGs with a little practice, but as a rule most people trying to make a game appealing to the female demographic make it simple and easy, so anyone can pick up and play the game.

Definitely something good to know, about Miyamoto and Pikmin.

There's nothing creepy about it at all. It would have been creepy if he said he designed it so that he could have high school girls want to come over to his house. Nobody would have cared if he was a writer that wanted to write a novel series for the adolescent girl market. This time it's a game designer so suddenly he's creepy with a pedophile twist?

It does sound a litlte bit, "creepy old man" but then again, that's really not what Miyamoto is doing so all's good.

Keep making kickass games nintendo!

I haven't played pikmin, is it any good?

Onyx Oblivion:
I don't know any girls who are into gardening. And that's kinda creepy of Miyamoto. Even if he meant nothing bad by it.

Poor translation, I think hope... As for Pikmin, my brothers both played it and loved it, me, (at that time, the target audience, apparently!) not so much.

Random question, did anyone else think that Overlord rips off Pikmin, just a little??

Wait, if Pikmin apeals to me does that make me a schoolgirl....?

Bah, anyway, nevermind who it was aimed at, it's still a brilliant game.

Never knew I was a japanese schoolgirl. I knew I was similiar to one, but still... I never got the second game for some stupid, forgotten reason, and I still have to finish the first one (since when do frogs fly and why do they HAVE to land on my little helpers?).

Soo... any word on Pikmin 3? Anything? You'd think he would have said something by now, seeing as how it was announced about 2/3 years ago...

IckleMissMayhem:

Random question, did anyone else think that Overlord rips off Pikmin, just a little??

Pretty much the enitre internet, yeah. The games are VERY similiar, but I think that's a bit like saying every monster catching game out there is ripping off Pokemon, which is... actually kinda true. Damn.

Pikmin is a brilliant game.

Its one of the rare games that has the ability to allow anyone to like it regardless of how "cute" it is... Like kirby.

I don't really care if it was aimed towards schoolgirls. I loved both Pikmin games, and the 3rd one better come out relatively soon.

Magnalian:

IckleMissMayhem:

Pretty much the enitre internet, yeah. The games are VERY similiar, but I think that's a bit like saying every monster catching game out there is ripping off Pokemon, which is... actually kinda true. Damn.

Glad it wasn't just me. I only picked up a cheap pre-owned copy of Overlord in... December last year? So probably missed all the hoo-haa over it.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here