EVE Online: GoonSwarm Disbanded

Pages 1 2 NEXT

EVE Online: GoonSwarm Disbanded

GoonSwarm, the most powerful alliance of corporations in EVE Online, has been disbanded and once again it appears that shenanigans are involved.

Even among gamers who don't play EVE Online, the name GoonSwarm is feared and loathed by all. Okay, maybe that's a bit dramatic but there's no question that the Something Awful-based alliance of EVE corporations has built a reputation for itself far beyond that of any other, largely thanks to its absolute destruction of competing corporation Band of Brothers last year. BoB wasn't just defeated, it was annihilated: Entire fleets defected to GoonSwarm, trillions of its ISK were looted and perhaps most humiliating of all, the Band of Brothers name itself was taken by GoonSwarm to ensure that even if the corporation was rebuilt, it could never again use that title.

It's a bit ironic, then, that almost one year to the day later, GoonSwarm itself has suffered a similar fate: The most powerful alliance in New Eden has been forcibly disbanded, the victim of an inside job. This one appears to be self-inflicted, however: In a message posted on Something Awful, corporation CEO Karttoon expressed frustration with the current state of GoonSwarm and claimed that he had been planning the destruction of the alliance for about a month prior to actually carrying it out. In a final act of irony, he removed Goonfleet, the primary Something Awful corporation, from the GoonSwarm alliance and then submitted an application to Band of Brothers, the "holding alliance" set up by GoonSwarm last year.

"I am leaving enough ISK in the wallets of both executor corps to ensure the alliance bills can be paid for at least a few years, and I am riding into the sunset (quitting EVE), leaving all the ISK and assets locked in game," Karttoon wrote. "I'll probably check back in a year or so and donate it all to some random goon of my choice, assuming the game still exists."

As you might expect from Something Awful, the destruction wrought by Karttoon seems to have elicited as much positive reaction from EVE players as negative, at least in the 240+ page forum thread dedicated to the game. As one player put it, "Hats off to you Karttoon. You were the worst CEO we had, but at least you got paid."

And that's how the cookie crumbles in the cold, empty vastness of EVE Online.

Wow, end of an Era I guess?

Bet he went to play STO :)

Hmmm... I find this rather interesting.
I have never actually played EVE Online, though at one point I was going to use the trial, but never got around to it.
Damn, it sounds fun, but I have neither the funds or the time to sink into that game...
Shame, seeing as it has such interesting things happening.

its amusing player-based stuff like this that makes me wish i had time & $ for EVE

Eerily representative of real world economies?
You make the call.

Deofuta:
Wow, end of an Era I guess?

Bet he went to play STO :)

lol, See his fleet again soon XD

I love hearing news about the constant backstabbing that goes on in EVE because people are always so shocked that it happened. I still say kudos to that beautiful inside job we saw last year, it was like watching mission impossible and oceans 11 all rolled into one play out on a digital stage.

Times like this I wish I was still playing EVE, just to see the power vacuum form. All the smaller alliances are going to be rushing in to grab territory while Goonswarm regroup.

KeyMaster45:
I love hearing news about the constant backstabbing that goes on in EVE because people are always so shocked that it happened. I still say kudos to that beautiful inside job we saw last year, it was like watching mission impossible and oceans 11 all rolled into one play out on a digital stage.

Someone say Ocean's 11?

Karma, it's a bitch.

But really, this is why I absolutely LOVE EVE Online, even though I don't play it. The political intrigue, the drama, the dirty games, the backstabbing. That's all way more awesome than the already awesome massive fleet battles.

No other game has this much player involvement, it is truly the master of sandbox MMO's. Hence, hats of to CCP for creating such an amazing virtual universe.

But what perhaps is even more interesting, is what happens after this. This disbandment creates a huge power vacuum and I'm very curious how it'll end. We'll see plenty of conflict, it's a very exciting time to be in EVE Online.

Does news like this really matter? Maybe to the people who play EVE and that is like what maybe like 5 people. No real loss there...

Greyfox105:
Hmmm... I find this rather interesting.
I have never actually played EVE Online, though at one point I was going to use the trial, but never got around to it.[/qoute]

[qoute]Damn, it sounds fun, but I have neither the funds or the time to sink into that game...
Shame, seeing as it has such interesting things happening.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/208-Eve-Online

Consider that my explanations as to why thats a bad idea.

Cowabungaa:
Karma, it's a bitch.

But really, this is why I absolutely LOVE EVE Online, even though I don't play it. The political intrigue, the drama, the dirty games, the backstabbing. That's all way more awesome than the already awesome massive fleet battles.

No other game has this much player involvement, it is truly the master of sandbox MMO's. Hence, hats of to CCP for creating such an amazing virtual universe.

But what perhaps is even more interesting, is what happens after this. This disbandment creates a huge power vacuum and I'm very curious how it'll end. We'll see plenty of conflict, it's a very exciting time to be in EVE Online.

Yeah, it would be an exciting time, considering the fact the game is so boring, that the people who actually play it think an ant scurrying about the floor while checking it's spreadsheets would be exciting ;)

Bud-Um-Tish

The dregs of humans present in MMOs once the transients leave depress me.

I read briefly through each of The Escapist articles regarding GoonSwarm and whilst comical, shines a little light on the human psyche.

Or just that some MMO players are complete vermin.

So basically, this would be the ingame example of a real world corporation going down?

EVE confuses me, I can't play it, but I do find these conflicts interesting.

Somehow for me the drama is undercut by the incongruity of the name "GoonSwarm" and the knowledge that "Karttoon" is probably a basement dwelling teenager with way too much time on his hands, in which case the real irony in this article is the choice of the phrase "riding into the sunset".

weird. if I wanted to disband an alliance in any MMO I would just get a group of mercs that are insanely high level and hunt down my former allies. but I guess going "I quit" is fine to.

EVE blows most mmo's out of the water, because stuff like this never happen in WoW(for example), at least not on this scale.

EVE rocks... shame I never got into it. Too much micromanaging. Loved the soundtrack though, so much infact, that I have it on when I play WoW(or when I'm at the gym).

okay, enlighten me, EVE is what?

a MMORPG?

but you pay real money in, adn get real money out? Hmm?

Whoa....now that is news. That's as big in Eve as the Death Star going under.

I've never heard of em, but geez, EVE gets lamer every time I hear news about it.

I find it sad that the article fails to mention that before the CEO disbanded goonswarm, goonswarm lost all their claim to space because they forgot to pay the bills, and after where booted out of the territory by the very alliance (reformed under a new banner) that they disbanded a year ago. There is a strong feeling in the community that after the mistake, the CEO decided to ragequit; but wanting to save face and leave his mark, he committed the disbandment, theft of property, name IP, and insurance fraud.

Bloody hilarious.

I remember I trialed EVE before, loved it but waaaaay too slow to get into for new guys, that tech tree could club a rhino to death. But teh gameplay mechanics we perfect, its griefing but its not. If you want to play your MMORPG under the watchful eyes of the mods theres plenty of safe space to set up and play, but the inclusion of pirate space was genius. Its a big warning to players to either step up or go home. A game where treachry can carry such weight is a thing of beauty.

As a former GoonFleet member I have to say this is the best possible ending. I haven't played in years (stopped around the time GS started filling up with pubbie corps) but I'd rather see GoonSwarm die with a spasm of drama than with a whimper. I'm sure this will rejuvenate a lot of goons in this game (not myself though, I think I'm done for good).

Well, I had played eve and I my self was attacked by this mega alliance. Its news like these make me miss eve though.

lee1287:
okay, enlighten me, EVE is what?

a MMORPG?

but you pay real money in, adn get real money out? Hmm?

No, you don't get real money out unless you are an ISK farmer in which case can expect your account to be banned. And the only money in is subscription. Think of it like Monopoly, where the only real money is spent is for the boardgame and whatever snacks you buy to entice friends to come over to play.
You are thinking of Entropia Universe, where people can put real money in and maybe get real money out. And it is free to play, but you can buy inworld money with real money, like a microtransaction. This is more akin to the stock market, where you can stand on sidelines watching the trades, or put in money at the hope of getting some if not more back.

I have a feeling Karttoon was thinking things were getting in too much a rut, and did this to shake things up. He is probably playing STO right now, but will come back to Eve when his cravings kick back in.

Cool, too bad I still don't like EVE as a game.

Cowabungaa:
Karma, it's a bitch.

I agree, hearing about the shit that goes down in eve is more fun than playing it.

KeyMaster45:

Yeah. That's because the gameplay in EVE is so dry and boring on its own that shenanigans are the only way to keep things interesting. If everything was stable and well-managed in EVE then it would be just like Yahtzee said, "a second job you have to pay for."

Pretty much all of EVE's appeal is in being a part of a space epic so much bigger than yourself that you just can't help but get excited, that the next click of your mouse or dropdown navigation may decide the fate of the galaxy.

But yeah, it is fun to sit back and watch in-game corporations and alliances go to war and swallow each other like some kind of weird microcosm simulation of what the world would be like if nobody ever had to eat and nobody ever died. Where there were infinite resources, limited only by people's willingness to go out and get them, and where the only serious losses one could endure were monetary in nature.

Who else thinks Istvaan Shogaatsu is going to step into the power vacuum and fuck everyone's shit right up?

Shenanigans?

In our EVE?!

It's more likely than you think!

But yeah, it really does feel like the end of an era. But all the better for someone else to step up and new things to happen.

Sometimes I almost start to miss that game.... *sniff*

Sad, kind of. I like the Something Awful guys, they're funny and know how to party. Metaphorically speakin'.

Oh well, it's just Eve.

This Goon is taking credit for anothers failure really, namely that the guy paying the bills for their sovereignty forgot or as its also been told just went on holiday and didnt come back in time to sort it out, resulting in Goons loosing all their cyno jammers.

Still, great credit too him for rage quiting.

On the other hand, Im rather enjoying that its allowed me to gain a home in Period Basis and It'll be fun to see what happens when Goons reform under another banner and see what space they try to take.

The Sorrow:
Who else thinks Istvaan Shogaatsu is going to step into the power vacuum and fuck everyone's shit right up?

Amarr Victor?

(5 bucks that his Corp has at least 10 spies who were about to pull something off like this)

Andy Chalk:
GoonSwarm, the most powerful alliance of corporations in EVE Online, has been disbanded and once again it appears that shenanigans are involved.

Maaaaaaaaan.

There's absolutely no insight here? The ringleader just up and decides to quit?

I wish there was a reason. Were they planning an overthrow and he decided to get the last laugh? Or did his employees give him an embarrassing nickname and he though "enough"?

It stuff like this that reinforces my ideas that actually playing eve online is pointless as you get far more entertainment from reading about it and the stuff people do on it, and reading about it is free.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here