Dante's Inferno Ads Buried in Web Site Source Code

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Dante's Inferno Ads Buried in Web Site Source Code

Another day, another Dante's Inferno promo, and this one is both cool and creepy: Hidden in the source code of several popular websites are demonic images, a link to a Hellish gateway and a series of passwords to get you inside.

The Dante's Inferno promotional campaign has had its share of ups and downs ("acts of lust," anyone?) but this latest effort is absolutely sublime: Someone - my money's on Lucifer - has been making additions to the source code of some of the most popular sites on the internet, adding twisted ASCII art, passwords and a link: hellisnigh.com.

Ars Technica says the first image was discovered at Digg.com and was quickly acknowledged by publisher Chas Edwards. "Since Digg's early days, ASCII art has been ingrained in our site's culture," he said. "We're thrilled with the opportunity presented by our partnership with Electronic Arts and the Dante's Inferno team - incorporating ASCII art into advertising on Digg, while providing the 40 million users in the Digg Community first access to the promotion code."

Other sites that have discovered this mysterious infernal infestation include GameSpot, IGN, GamesRadar, Kotaku, Dailymotion and WWE.com. Are there more? It's possible: GameSpot and Kotaku share the same password, suggesting that other duplicates might be floating around, but it doesn't really matter for anyone who just wants to solve the mystery. Six passwords are required for admission and all of them are available on those sites.

A hidden publicity campaign might seem a bit odd at first blush, but like the other Dante's Inferno efforts, it's doing what it's meant to do: People are talking about it. The nature of the net kept the images from being hidden for long, while the nature of its users ensured that the word would spread quickly. EA played it smart, too, by making sure that the reward is worth the effort.

And what sort of reward will you get for all your trouble? I don't want to spoil the surprise but the site eventually leads to a downloadable package that includes music, images and more. It's pretty damn cool and well worth the hassle of tracking down the passwords. And track them down you will if you want to discover the secret, because along with not spoiling the surprise, I don't want to spoil the fun either: I had to find these things on my own (well, with a little help) and so do you. You know where to look, so start looking!

Thats just creepy the way that there looking at you...

So incredibly awesome, and respect to whoever found it :).

I wonder what is lurking in The Escapist's code?

*Opens Developer console*

ZUUUUUUL!

EDIT: Yay I got them. It was hard as a lot of sites didn't have it on their UK versions. I had to use a web proxy to get to IGN.

That is this first decades' cool advert.

Really awesome.

I can't find one in Gamespots source code though. Maybe it's not in the UK version or something.

I was halfway hoping there was some cool ASCI art in the Escapists page source code, but alas, there is not. I ordinarily don't pay much attention to Dante's Inferno marketing (except to laugh at it when it's funny or suspect weird stories are somehow their marketing department at work), but mentioning there was music convinced me to play the scavenger hunt. Note to anyone else going through that: Don't bother looking through both Gamespot and Kotaku's code, as they are the same image and password.

MrPop:
Really awesome.

I can't find one in Gamespots source code though. Maybe it's not in the UK version or something.

I'd suggest visiting Kotaku then, since it's the same code as Gamespot (#3).

EA have done some great advertising for this game, it's really quite impressive. I'm still not buying it though.

I cant get the one from IGN... i keep getting redirected to the UK site....

The rewards total together for 130mb too!

silver wolf009:
Thats just creepy the way that there looking at you...

Yeah, gonna say that picture sent a shiver down my spine...

Eagle Est1986:
EA have done some great advertising for this game, it's really quite impressive. I'm still not buying it though.

Much the same. I'd just as soon save my money for GoW3.

Best advertising campaign ever. Shame they couldn't have pushed a better game, though.

Wow, that's cool.

I liked the art for gamesradar and the WWE site the best.

That thing is scaring me.

EA's brilliant marketing campaign for DE is one of the reasons I actually bought this game instead of just renting it, because this much effort and creativity simply must be rewarded.

DeadlyYellow:

Eagle Est1986:

Much the same. I'd just as soon save my money for GoW3.

Ditto

Maybe if they'd payed more attention to the game itself (rather than the ad campaign) it wouldn't be such a deriviative knockoff.

Sonicron:
EA's brilliant marketing campaign for DE is one of the reasons I actually bought this game instead of just renting it, because this much effort and creativity simply must be rewarded.

And how is it...?

I cannot find Password 1 for the life of me, which site is it on? and on a side note, imagine being the first person to stumble across this. That be scary.

Damn that's cool! I'm reaping my earthly rewards right now, thanks Andy!

Is it just me or does WWE seem to not fit in with the rest of those sites? Meh, oh well...

jrhop364:
I cannot find Password 1 for the life of me, which site is it on? and on a side note, imagine being the first person to stumble across this. That be scary.

It's on Digg.com, which if you read through the article carefully, was also the first site where these ads were discovered.

Julianking93:

Sonicron:

And how is it...?

As I already mentioned in many other threads, I liked Dante's Inferno a lot. After playing the demo I expected a 90% carbon copy of God of War with a more interesting setting (just my opinion, the Inferno is of more interest to me than Greek mythology), and that's exactly what I got. Yes, it's a shameless rip-off, but let's be honest, when cloning a game there are a LOT worse genetic templates to be used than God of War. The badly animated cartoon cutscenes yank you out of the experience every now and then, the game is pretty short (which I've come to expect from EA these days) and I would have liked a few more boss battles, but the overall gameplay is still fun, the voice-acting is top notch (imo), hunting for hidden artifacts has actual (and very varied) gameplay benefits and both the enemies and especially the environments are quite impressive (which is the main reason why I'd been looking forward to the game).

I have no idea how to get to the source code for these websites.

Okay I know I'm going to sound like an idiot, but what is a source code? What are the passwords used for?

Sonicron:

Julianking93:

Sonicron:

And how is it...?

As I already mentioned in many other threads, I liked Dante's Inferno a lot. After playing the demo I expected a 90% carbon copy of God of War with a more interesting setting (just my opinion, the Inferno is of more interest to me than Greek mythology), and that's exactly what I got. Yes, it's a shameless rip-off, but let's be honest, when cloning a game there are a LOT worse genetic templates to be used than God of War. The badly animated cartoon cutscenes yank you out of the experience every now and then, the game is pretty short (which I've come to expect from EA these days) and I would have liked a few more boss battles, but the overall gameplay is still fun, the voice-acting is top notch (imo), hunting for hidden artifacts has actual (and very varied) gameplay benefits and both the enemies and especially the environments are quite impressive (which is the main reason why I'd been looking forward to the game).

I liked the animated cut scenes. Reminds me of the 300 comic. They seem better than the still frame cut scenes they have in Bayonetta anyway.

I wonder how this was first found out? Clearly, someone must make a habit of looking at Digg's source code...

I just wish, with all the effort going into the advertising for this game, that they'd bothered making a PC version... As it is, I'm not all that fussed, really. But hey, cool idea, though viral campaigns have been done before, if not on this scale. Though Halo 2's was pretty sweet.

Yay, i got the IGN password! Just needed to use a US Proxy..

To find the images and passwords, just go to the site in question (digg.com or whatever) and then use either the "View" drop-down menu or the right-click menu in Firefox (not sure about IE) and select "View Source." That'll get you what you need.

CD-R:
I liked the animated cut scenes. Reminds me of the 300 comic. They seem better than the still frame cut scenes they have in Bayonetta anyway.

... Really? I've read the 300 comic, and I don't really see much of a resemblance.
Still, I agree, I'll take these cartoon cutscenes over Bayonetta-style still frames any day.

Hah, that's actually really awesome in my opinion.

all hail Cthulu

Huh...
Is it just me or is EA trying to pull a Bloodrayne?
That is... trying to get their game onto EVERY SINGLE media outlet/format.

Hmmm, this is kind of neat, but I've never been all that good at ARGs and such so tend to avoid them. Especially seeing as I'm late off the mark. I'll probably wait until I get all the passwords from one source.

Ironically though, it DOES make me wonder about internet hauntings, urban legends, and the possibility for actual demonic conspiricies here. What EA is doing virally in some cases could be fairly creepy :P

At any rate, my copy of the game is en-route via free snail from Amazon.

This was kinda fun, I'd like to see advertising like this in the future.

I picked up all 6 passwords (and creepy-cool ASCii art...) but the site's not letting me "submit".

Oh, wait, for whatever reason I had to reload the page (and reenter my birthdate.) Oh what hellish rewards will I reap?!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here