Videogames May Not Be an Addiction

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Videogames May Not Be an Addiction

Are videogames addicting? Not so, according to a proposal by the American Psychiatric Association.

The American Psychiatric Association is in the process of releasing the fifth edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. For the first time ever, it has opened the proposals to review and suggestion online. Among the proposed changes is the removal or reclassification of a number of Impulse-Control Disorders, among them an addiction to gambling and the category under which videogames would potentially fall.

The proposed changes would eliminate the category for "Non-Substance Addictions" entirely, creating a different, blanket category to encompass anything from videogames to sex to rock and roll. Addiction would further be classified in relation to actual addictive substances such as drugs and alcohol.

This change would mean there is no psychological differentiation between an addiction to videogames and an addiction to gambling.

If nothing else, it's a positive step for the gaming community. Now we can say we lack impulse control when we stay up all night playing videogames, not that we're addicted to them.

For more information and to give feedback on the American Psychiatric Association's proposed changes, you can visit its website.

Source: Associated Press via Gamepro

Who the hell said they were?

"If nothing else, it's a positive step for the gaming community. Now we can say we lack impulse control when we stay up all night playing videogames, not that we're addicted to them."

-Austin MacKenzie.

Truer words are only ever spoken on Yahtzee's weekly ZP episodes.

*SARCASM HAT IS ACTIVATED*

That seemed pretty obvious to me... it doesn't cause a chemical addiction or reliance, it's an addiction to the fun (ie: dopamine release). I've often compared video game addiction to that of gambling or sex or whatever... I guess now it's official.

They're not an addiction. There is no chemical dependency. Except for chemical "FUN".

Wait, so this is just about redefining a non-chemical dependence as distinct from an addiction? I thought that was already the case.

I AM BACK!

*reads topic*

Of course they aren't! They are simply a form of entertainment. There's nothing addicting about them. There is only the lack of willpower to stop playing them, which is a problem on the persons side and not the games. If football wasn't so energy consuming it could be considered an addiction.

Games are hardly addicting, it's just people trying to pass their own irresponsible nature off to something they claim they have no control over. Video games are about as addicting as tying yer shoes. People really need to learn how to take responsibility for themselves.... but then again, I guess this is the American way.

Julianking93:
Who the hell said they were?

Parents and politicans.

But, glad to see moar people on our side =D

I'm not addicted to video games.

I'm addicted to crack. It's far worse. Why aren't you helping me with this guv'mint?

Hubilub:
I AM BACK!

And of course, welcome.

*Rolls out the obligatory red carpet, complete with condiments, seltzer dispensers and free back rubs.*

Hubilub:
I AM BACK!

*reads topic*

Of course they aren't! They are simply a form of entertainment. There's nothing addicting about them. There is only the lack of willpower to stop playing them, which is a problem on the persons side and not the games. If football wasn't so energy consuming it could be considered an addiction.

What kind of football? Soccer or Football?

Sexy Guy:

Hubilub:
I AM BACK!

*reads topic*

Football as in the sport where you actually kick a ball.

If anything, American Football should have a crazy name someone made up. Like... Pryot!

From here on forth, American Football shall be called Pryot!

Only took them this long to realise?

Anything can be classed as addicting anyway

It was a great mystery that could have only be solved by the brightest of minds.

Hubilub:

Sexy Guy:

Hubilub:
I AM BACK!

*reads topic*

If anything, American Football should have a crazy name someone made up. Like... Pryot!

Yeah, I'm still going to refer as Football as Soccer, and American Football as foot ball (you know, you actually do eventually get to kick the ball in football).

Also,Pfffff....
Football is so much more exhausting than Football (Soccer). It's somewhat like rugby, only less manly and awesome due to the fact football player have more protective gear, but dammit! Tell me a 15 mile per hour collision with a big burly dude who's a cross between man and refridgerator isnt more exhausting than running around a field kicking a ball around!

Kukakkau:
Only took them this long to realise?

I know this may shock you, but a body like the APA has to actually do tests and collect data rather than going with our gut.

/They have a stupid rule for how to set out tables though. No vertical lines? What's this shit?
//Suck it, hater politicians.

Sexy Guy:

Hubilub:

Sexy Guy:

Hubilub:
I AM BACK!

*reads topic*

Yeah, I'm still going to refer as Football as Soccer, and American Football as foot ball (you know, you actually do eventually get to kick the ball in football).

Also,Pfffff....
Football is so much more exhausting than Football (Soccer). It's somewhat like rugby, only less manly and awesome due to the fact football player have more protective gear, but dammit! Tell me a 15 mile per hour collision with a big burly dude who's a cross between man and refridgerator isnt more exhausting than running around a field kicking a ball around!

A 15 mile per hour collision with a big burly dude who's a cross between man and refrigerator isn't more exhausting than running around a field kicking a ball around.

THERE! I said it! Now what do you want me to say?

Saying people are addicted to video games is like saying people are addicted to movies.

Its downright stupid, and whoever said it in the first place is an idiot.

I think the term 'Video Game Addiction' has just caught on as how to describe it because that's the way everyone else does it, especially the media because it pulls attention.

I've undergone a lot of research into the issue, and more specifically in regards to World of Warcraft and Everquest. A step in the right direction is calling it a Video Game Obsession instead of Addiction.

Austin MacKenzie:

If nothing else, it's a positive step for the gaming community. Now we can say we lack impulse control when we stay up all night playing videogames, not that we're addicted to them.

Surely, the lack of impulse control is a symptom of addiction in and of itself? Unless we want to classify biochemical adjustments as extraneous to our own impulse control mechanisms, in which case do we classify the narcotics/toxins as primarily responsible for our drives?

Which then brings into the equation that crime passionnel is no longer in the conscious mind of the perpetrator, but merely an act carried out by the unconscious mind, and as such cannot be pre-meditated.

tl;dr - If it's only drugs responsible for addiction, you can't be arrested for drug-rampages.

Worse, if a tox-screen comes through clear, do we assume that no addicition can have taken place? I'm somewhat reminded of the medical diagnosis of schizophrenia, which although defined, is in such huge strokes that it includes baseline humanity.

Surely a far more sensible definition of the problem is that people LIKE playing video games, and, as such, will dislike stopping playing games to do "important" things like working. As such, it's a moral pejorative rather than a legal one.

Thank God for the American Psychiatric Association! I'm glad a more better video game behavioral study was conducted properly and not by nanny jo frost.

Videogames are still technically addictive though, in the same way gambling is. Selective Positive reinforcement behavior, is especially present in MMO's. And you can get addicted to gambling and require conseling, but it's more like a pyschological habit then an actual dependency, making 'addiction camps' overly extreme and pointless as denial of the 'addiction' won't shake it in this case, since it's chemical. You can only work through it.

I will admit to having been addicted for short periods to individual games, but I don't think I'm a gaming addict. Or whatever the new term for it is.

Wow, this is amazing especially how so many people disagreed with me when I said video game are not an addiction... In that certain thread.

EDIT: I still believe its just willpower with things like this, Those who have a really low willpower will easily get addicted to gaming and gambling and stuff. Thought I was addicted to caffiene but just cut it off and haven't had any in a week. Don't really want any either.

Here we go. Anything can be addicting and all of the syptoms are identical. Changes will occur in the brain when the addiciton is not present. Ever see someone fiend and withdraw from a a lack of game playing? I have. Ever see someone believe the televsision talks to them specifically? I have. Blame the person all you want, addiciton is addiciton. The only difference is that substances are easier to become addicted to becuase they contain specific chemcials.

Oh, and P.S. the APA is as corruupt as any American political organization. Old DSMs had some horrible diagnoses in there that have since been taken out, like homosexuality.

The_root_of_all_evil:

Austin MacKenzie:

Surely, the lack of impulse control is a symptom of addiction in and of itself? Unless we want to classify biochemical adjustments as extraneous to our own impulse control mechanisms, in which case do we classify the narcotics/toxins as primarily responsible for our drives?

Which then brings into the equation that crime passionnel is no longer in the conscious mind of the perpetrator, but merely an act carried out by the unconscious mind, and as such cannot be pre-meditated.

tl;dr - If it's only drugs responsible for addiction, you can't be arrested for drug-rampages.

Worse, if a tox-screen comes through clear, do we assume that no addicition can have taken place? I'm somewhat reminded of the medical diagnosis of schizophrenia, which although defined, is in such huge strokes that it includes baseline humanity.

Surely a far more sensible definition of the problem is that people LIKE playing video games, and, as such, will dislike stopping playing games to do "important" things like working. As such, it's a moral pejorative rather than a legal one.

Can you explain what you mean by the schizoprenia part, its intriguing and I'm not sure I follow how the symptom presentation can be seen in baseline humanity.

Sexy Guy:

Hubilub:

Sexy Guy:

Hubilub:

Sexy Guy:

Hubilub:
I AM BACK!

*reads topic*

Also,Pfffff....

A 15 mile per hour collision with a big burly dude who's a cross between man and refrigerator isn't more exhausting than running around a field kicking a ball around.

*SARCASM SYSTEMS ARE ACTIVATED!*

I want you to nail your head with railroad spikes in an attempt to realize how retarded you are for saying Running down a field while kicking a ball is more exhausting than getting tackled repeatedly by several big burly dudes who are some divine hybrid of man and gorilla, take your thumb, and shove it your asshole until it bleeds, catch the drippings in a cup, poor them into yourself intraveneously, and dance for me to the tune of Smooth Criminal by the late, great, bait, slate, and freight, Micheal Jackson.

Michael Jackson wasn't slate. He was icky and made of wax. And not the good kind of wax, the bad kind that feels weird and not very smooth when you touch it.

Not addicting?

The APA clearly hasn't tried to pry the 360 controller from my 4-year-old's hands when it's time for bed or explained to him that he can't play videogames on a weeknight because it makes him to crazy-angry when it's time to stop. If he's not an addiction-filled-angerball-powderkeg waiting to go off when denied his "drug-of-choice" then I'm not clear as to what "coming down" must be like.

Hubilub:

Sexy Guy:

Hubilub:

Sexy Guy:

Hubilub:

Sexy Guy:

Hubilub:
I AM BACK!

*reads topic*

Also,Pfffff....

I want you to nail your head with railroad spikes in an attempt to realize how retarded you are for saying Running down a field while kicking a ball is more exhausting than getting tackled repeatedly by several big burly dudes who are some divine hybrid of man and gorilla, take your thumb, and shove it your asshole until it bleeds, catch the drippings in a cup, poor them into yourself intraveneously, and dance for me to the tune of Smooth Criminal by the late, great, bait, slate, and freight, Micheal Jackson.

Michael Jackson wasn't slate. He was icky and made of wax. And not the good kind of wax, the bad kind that feels weird and not very smooth when you touch it.

*SARCASM SYSTEMS ARE STILL ACTIVE*

At least he was when he was white, which I find incredible unironic.

I'm addicted to NEW games. I'll buy buy buy. The release schedule which has a dozen new AAA titles coming out at the same time of the year doesn't help.

Sexy Guy:

Hubilub:

Sexy Guy:

Hubilub:

Sexy Guy:

Hubilub:

Sexy Guy:

Hubilub:
I AM BACK!

*reads topic*

Also,Pfffff....

*SARCASM SYSTEMS ARE STILL ACTIVE*

At least he was when he was white, which I find incredible unironic.

He died like he lived.

[insert clever punchline here]

khaimera:

Can you explain what you mean by the schizoprenia part, its intriguing and I'm not sure I follow how the symptom presentation can be seen in baseline humanity.

Sure, schizophrenia, according to the DSM, causes the sufferer to demonstrate auditory hallucinations, delusions, and disorganized and unusual thinking and speech - of which no laboratory or baseline tests give what is normal.

Now simple "normal" symptoms like "being in love" can force most of those changes in behavior, especially if it's taken to the addictive stages that it is in a lot of teenagers. Sleep deprivation or caffeine overload will do similar. Even the APA admits that it is only a shorthand for a specific set of symptoms. (Schizophrenia and Schizophreniform are only a few months apart)

The case study on this was performed by David L. Rosenhan, "On Being Sane in Insane Places".

Arguably, the best person to tell if you're an addict is an addict themselves.

Sounds political to me.

Basically it seems to me that video games are simply a side issue towards them trying to do away with the entire concept of psychological addiction. Probably fueled by insurance companies who are often contracted to provide addiction counseling services. With the big Casinos here in Connecticut (while Indian run "Foxwoods" and "Mohegan Sun" are the #1 and #3 largest venues in the world respectively) "Gambling Addiction" and the legal definition as an addiction became a big issue state wide. You also see more Indian gaming establishments than ever before cropping up.

I'm also vaguely aware of the fact that some insurance companies contracted under addiction services in a way that they would help deal with the negative effects of an addiction once treated. Something that didn't become known until a while in. The idea originally being that say if some Junkie needed cosmetic surgery, to pay off a debt, etc... directly associated with the condition once they were clean, the Insurance could be made to pay for it (albeit with a high end policy). With something like gambling this means that someone who was wealthy and had a BIG insurance policy from some corperate job, could go to counseling, be declared "clean" and then pass his legitimate debt to the casino off to the insurance. Not common, but it has apparently happened.

While "good" on some levels, like with the respect for video games, on other levels it's bad because I believe some of those addictions ARE real. The definition mainly matters in a legal sense. You can't demand addiction counceling and coverage for your "poor impulse control".

Psychology has increasingly become a political animal, if Video Games are being mentioned specifically I can almost guarantee it comes down to someone not wanting to have to pay for it to be dealt with like a disorder. Any benefit to other political battles are tertiary.

hahaha, this is funny cause my mom thinks I`m addicted to video games and that it`s like gambling! (video game addictions being like gambling addictions)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here