THQ Franchises to Hit SyFy Network

Pages 1 2 NEXT

THQ Franchises to Hit SyFy Network

A bunch of THQ videogame properties are planned for transition into the world of television.

THQ and SyFy announced a partnership this week to bring established THQ videogame franchises to television and the internet. First up will be THQ's de Blob, an indie game developed by a group of students for the PC that was eventually released on the Nintendo Wii. A sequel is expected sometime within the next year.

de Blob, which tells the story about a blob that must bring color back into the world, will kick off SyFy's new SyFy Kids banner as the network intends to expand its audience into the age ranges of 2 to 17-year-olds. SyFy Kids plans to deliver (sy)ience-(fy)ction, fantasy, mystery, paranormal and action/adventure content via webisodes, television, and other media.

The deal also feeds into THQ's "transmedia" strategy, through which the company wants its videogame franchises to inspire movies, television, and toys. The deal is similar to that made for Viva Piņata, which was an Xbox 360 game that also became a Saturday morning cartoon show. I'm not sure which THQ franchise could come next after de Blob, as it certainly wouldn't be something like Saint's Row or Red Faction, but the company has plenty of kid-friendly titles to choose from. Videogame-to-television transitions normally seem to concern properties for youths, but it'd be pretty awesome to see Darksiders translated into a television show aimed at an older market too.

(Via: GoNintendo)

de blob would be a entertaining kid show, and i did enjoy both mario and sonics shows when i was a kid, so congratulation to todays youth.

I remember watching those viva pinata cartoon show

They had Dan Green play the voice of the purple horse pinata

Oh! DAWN OF WAR! DAWN OF WAR!

I'd watch a Saints Row TV series, as long as it wasn't censored to sh*t...

The kiddie games for TV shows eh...someone's looking to milk some cash out.

thenumberthirteen:

lol, that would be epic!

Kenjitsuka:

It'd be funny.

Darksiders and Dawn of War Anime/Hard 'Toons. Make it so.

TsunamiWombat:

This. A thousand times, this.

Agayek:

TsunamiWombat:

This. A thousand times, this.

Unfortunatly GW holds the Warhammer rights, so very unlikly. A Darksiders 'anime' would be golden though.

thenumberthirteen:

Spam That on GW's site, Tbh im going to wait and see how the flim works before i go all how that should work

If im right they did Destroy All Humans right?

coldalarm:

Kenjitsuka:

It'd be funny.

They could do what SciFi (I refuse to call it by it's new name) used to do which is just crudely cover it up. And, let's be honest, it would be just as funny to see censor marks and bleeps every 3 seconds.

I can also see a good Red Faction SciFi action-drama series similar to Battlestar Galactica.

I was going to make a snide remark relating this announcement to the trash that is SyFy original movies and lament how retarded the switch to "SyFy" was but, you know, I don't even care anymore.

thenumberthirteen:

THIS^ time to show Hollywood what real space marines are!

"SyFy: It's like 'Sci-Fi' but more lame."

VitusPrime:

thenumberthirteen:

Spam That on GW's site, Tbh im going to wait and see how the flim works before i go all how that should work

You get banned from the GW forums for going on about a movie.

Hrmmm....wasn't THQ responsible for the WWE franchise? And given Syphly brought in ECW, there could be a conflict of interest.

Heaven forbid they actually show some SCIENCE FICTION.

The_root_of_all_evil:
Hrmmm....wasn't THQ responsible for the WWE franchise? And given Syphly brought in ECW, there could be a conflict of interest.

Heaven forbid they actually show some SCIENCE FICTION.

Heaven forbid they should take a preexisting science fiction entity and not pour feces all over it. The only time they got it right was with Battlestar Galactica. Every other gem that got shown on Scifi was an original work.
But if THQ wants to take a chance, let em. It won't kill their game sales.
And good luck to getting THQ to admitting responsibility for WWE. Better chances at asking them who forgot to flush.

samsonguy920:

Heaven forbid they should take a preexisting science fiction entity and not pour feces all over it.

Let's take a quick look at today
(Googling "Syfy Channel Tonight" doesn't actually work : Nice...)

09:00 AM
TWILIGHT ZONE, THE : Nice

10:00 AM
CROW 3: SALVATION :Oh...
12:00 PM
CROW, THE : Good, but often repeated.
02:00 PM
EQUILIBRIUM : 36% RT
04:30 PM
ULTRAVIOLET : Haahaahhahahaha
06:30 PM
TOTAL RECALL : See above
09:00 PM
TRANSMORPHERS: THE FALL OF MAN : Straight to video
11:00 PM
TERMINATORS, THE : Oh dear
01:00 AM
I AM OMEGA : Not I am Legend 2. No no no.
03:00 AM
LAWNMOWER MAN, THE : Well, at least it wasn't the second one.

Seriously, if I was the controller, I'd be embarrassed.

I would love to see a good adaptation of Red Faction: A solid insurrection story where you aren't really comfortable with the actions taken by either side. Each episode brings a new mission, and each mission contributes to a larger narrative. Have it follow a cell of the insurrection instead of an individual.

Only problem? Blowing up lots of buildings could be really expensive from a production standpoint.

jasonelillis:
I would love to see a good adaptation of Red Faction: A solid insurrection story where you aren't really comfortable with the actions taken by either side. Each episode brings a new mission, and each mission contributes to a larger narrative. Have it follow a cell of the insurrection instead of an individual.

Only problem? Blowing up lots of buildings could be really expensive from a production standpoint.

What if it were a machinima series like Red vs Blue?

The Gentleman:

coldalarm:

Kenjitsuka:

It'd be funny.

They could do what SciFi (I refuse to call it by it's new name) used to do which is just crudely cover it up. And, let's be honest, it would be just as funny to see censor marks and bleeps every 3 seconds.

I can also see a good Red Faction SciFi action-drama series similar to Battlestar Galactica.

"*bleep* you talkin' about, *bleep*? I'm gonna *bleep* up some *bleep* in that piece of *bleep* gang"

:D

They really need to put Saints Row on BET.

come on guys theworst part of sifi origenals is the acting... Oh and the cgi and basic plot

Thq just made a huge mistake. Actually I like some of the scifi origenals some are not to bad.

Sorry but they are going to have to do a lot more than that to get me watching Sci-Fi or "SyFy" channel again...

For starters change the name back and get rid of WRESTLING on a SCIENCE FICTION CHANNEL!

If THQ wants anyone to ever look at the franchises without gagging then they have to keeps Syfy (man that's stupid name) from making movies out them. Seriously, those movies are all horrid.

thenumberthirteen:

VitusPrime:

thenumberthirteen:

Wait, GW still has forums? I thought they dropped those ages ago because fans kept whining about things like the short species of ill-conceived space bikers all the time. Admittedly I stopped visiting their site after their redesign crapped unneeded flash all over the place and eliminated all the content I was actually looking for, so I suppose I might have missed that they have forums again.

Edit: Nope, just looked and there are still no forums. Were you thinking of the Black Library forums? Because they actually created a designated thread on those for fruitlessly contemplating what a 40K film would look like (before those forums also disappeared when they took the entire site down for a redesign).

Gildan Bladeborn:

thenumberthirteen:

VitusPrime:

thenumberthirteen:

Wait, GW still has forums? I thought they dropped those ages ago because fans kept whining about things like the short species of ill-conceived space bikers all the time. Admittedly I stopped visiting their site after their redesign crapped unneeded flash all over the place and eliminated all the content I was actually looking for, so I suppose I might have missed that they have forums again.

Edit: Nope, just looked and there are still no forums. Were you thinking of the Black Library forums? Because they actually created a designated thread on those for fruitlessly contemplating what a 40K film would look like (before those forums also disappeared when they took the entire site down for a redesign).

I haven't been on either for years.

Forget THQ games, lets see a Mass Effect TV series on SyFi network.... or just bring back Firefly

My god I want a saints row and red faction cross and turn it into a kids show. Please I just want to see how awful it is.

I would vote for Saint's Row... Red Faction for me is a harder sell. Saint's Row could play more like The Sopranos, which clearly was a hit. I can't see a plausible story line that could extend for over a year for Red Faction, unless it was all blah-blah-blah story and light on the action. I didn't play Red Faction for the politics; I played that sucker to knock a mudhole in some buildings/people. I could be wrong, but that's what qualifies it as an opinion.
Saint's Row, supposing they would proceed with creating a show, had darn well better be cast with all the voice actors from the game! I don't want a bunch of no-name Canadian actors (no offense Canada) to be the main cast. Big question in regards to this proposal: what in the hell would they call the main character? Joe Kickass? Joan Buckshot? Max Power?(sorry, had to throw in the Simpsons reference as it isn't such a bad name, despite being so corny)

The_root_of_all_evil:

samsonguy920:

Heaven forbid they should take a preexisting science fiction entity and not pour feces all over it.

Let's take a quick look at today
(Googling "Syfy Channel Tonight" doesn't actually work : Nice...)

09:00 AM
TWILIGHT ZONE, THE : Nice

10:00 AM
CROW 3: SALVATION :Oh...
12:00 PM
CROW, THE : Good, but often repeated.
02:00 PM
EQUILIBRIUM : 36% RT
04:30 PM
ULTRAVIOLET : Haahaahhahahaha
06:30 PM
TOTAL RECALL : See above
09:00 PM
TRANSMORPHERS: THE FALL OF MAN : Straight to video
11:00 PM
TERMINATORS, THE : Oh dear
01:00 AM
I AM OMEGA : Not I am Legend 2. No no no.
03:00 AM
LAWNMOWER MAN, THE : Well, at least it wasn't the second one.

Seriously, if I was the controller, I'd be embarrassed.

Okay, not sure where that came from, but alright. The controller probably gets told to put up anything that's scifi-ish. Easy work with all that is currently out there.
Actually what I meant was what they did to butcher good stories like Riverworld, Wheel of Time, and Dune. I didn't watch Earthsea, but somehow I have a feeling the Scifi movie actually improved on the book I tortured myself in reading. Whether Syfy has any direct control over their original movies or they just foot the bill so they can show it on the network, they aren't doing so well in the decent movie department in either case.
And having just peeked over at the website, I see there is going to be a Beauty and the Beast. Looks like their makeup department is copying right off the NBC series and the Disney movie. So much for original.

Gildan Bladeborn:

thenumberthirteen:

Wait, GW still has forums? I thought they dropped those ages ago because fans kept whining about things like the short species of ill-conceived dwarven space bikers all the time.

Dooon't talk aboooout iiit... Oooh booy, don't talk abooout iiit...

OT: De Blob could make a good kids' cartoon, but THQ properties really aren't too notable. And i don't have that channel anyway, so whatever.

Vigilantis:
Sorry but they are going to have to do a lot more than that to get me watching Sci-Fi or "SyFy" channel again...

For starters change the name back and get rid of WRESTLING on a SCIENCE FICTION CHANNEL!

I doubt that's going to happen. It's a way to gain more viewers since all the good shows are now over and those viewers leave due to the programming quality being low. In the end, all TV stations attempt to gain more viewers to show commercials to since that's where their revenue comes from. For example, why else would G4 take over TechTV, get rid of everything tech related, then show nothing but marathons of "Cheaters" and other "reality" shows?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here