Teen Arrested for Making Threats Over Xbox Live

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

A conversation over Xbox Live led to the arrest of a young man threatening to shoot up his high school.

A man living in Port Alberni, British Columbia happened to be playing Call of Duty 2: Modern Warfare over Xbox Live when he heard a shocking admission. His fellow player was failing school; he had drawn up a hit list and made detailed plans for a school shooting he would carry out the next day. The man, disturbed by the admission, questioned the player further but the conversation ended abruptly. He immediately contacted Royal Canadian Mounted Police, who in turn launched an investigation, drawing aid from Microsoft Law Enforcement Security who tracked the young man to San Antonio, Texas.

The information was then passed to the San Antonio Police Department, who arrested the suspect.

"This incident demonstrates the power of the electronic world and how different enforcement agencies can quickly work together to protect the citizens they serve, regardless of obstacles such as international barriers," Mounted Police Staff Sgt. Lee Omilusik said. "In this case, the suspect was quickly arrested and no one was hurt thanks to the information received from a concerned citizen."

After an investigation, police determined the suspect wasn't serious about the threats, and have charged him with making a false alarm or report, a felony in San Antonio. The school as issued a short message to parents that the suspect will be removed from school indefinitely.

Source: Vancouver Sun via GamePolitics

Maybe now all the people will see that video games can be used for good!

And maybe terrorist will stop killing people
Barrack Obama will stop getting death threats
and people will SHUT THE FUCK UP about Half-Life 3!

I read this same thing just a couple days ago....and i applaud this person for exposing the idiots over XBL who think just because they're anonymous that everything and anything can be said

Wow, if the police take X box threats seriously, it must be a slow day.

Like everything on live, its pure B.S.

I have had 1337 people threaten to kill me and as far as I know it hasnt happened.

Austin MacKenzie:

Call of Duty 2: Modern Warfare

Do you mean Modern warfare 2?

OP: I do hear a lot of stupid threats over xbox live, it does sound a bit strange though

Heh, serves him right for trying to be macho. Reminds me when Newgrounds stopped some kid from setting fire to his school, when he posted a picture of a gas can along with a threat...

But if xbox live can do it, and Newgrounds can do it, why not facebook, and youtube?

The DSM:

I have had 1337 people threaten to kill me and as far as I know it hasnt happened.

They killed you in your sleep. You're actually a zombie.

OT: Well, you made the threat, you do the time. Serious or not, you can never be too sure.

This just in: Don't announce your evil plans over open channels. While we're at it, don't announce something that SOUNDS like evil plans over open channels, either.

I love the Mounties. My own police have nothing better to do than track down some crazy Emo kid in the states. *Sigh.....* Why is live full of wetalds?

Blimey, I don't know if this is a good or a bad thing...

Sure, he ended up being a false alarm, and a waste of police resources, but if it were true...

SUPA FRANKY:
Maybe now all the people will see that video games can be used for good!

And maybe terrorist will stop killing people
Barrack Obama will stop getting death threats
and people will SHUT THE FUCK UP about Half-Life 3!

This was all completely plausible until the half-life 3 mark

The DSM:

same here, in World at War, back when tanks were in hardcore matches.

on that one train station level to be exact.

on a side note, Im actually surprised that it went as far as it did, in such a short amount of time. but really, this day in age you would have to be a dumbass to even hint at something as serious as that while thinking you're anonymous, namely on PSN or XBL.

freaking noobs, everyone knows you need to be behind at least seven proxies............

One of these days, they're gonna track down Bin Laden by his Xbox Live account...

The title is really misleading, I thought it was about people who said "u sux, iz gona kil u", after I kick their ass.

Actually, I'm glad this happened. Too many people on PSN, XBL or just the internet in general make these kinds of threats. Maybe a case like this will stop people from doing this.

Also, there's a difference in someone on MW2 saying "I'll kick your ass" and a kid going into detailed plans about who he'll kill and where he'd kill them. That is a severe difference and I think people should realize that.

Someone you know you'll never meeting saying they'll kick your ass? Not that big of a deal, but someone saying they'll kill people in their own school, big deal.

Good on the person who reported it, the police and for once, Microsoft. Thankfully, their actions may have stopped a kid from actually harming someone.

Regiment:
This just in: Don't announce your evil plans over open channels. While we're at it, don't announce something that SOUNDS like evil plans over open channels, either.

Wait, you'd rather have a school shooting?

Even if it's a false alarm?

The DSM:

happens too me too often too
just cause im not the best at the game i should stop playing or theyll kill me

This is funny, although admittedly any kind of threat like that can and *should* be taken seriously. You never know if they're going to be serious about it. If you act, you might very well prevent the deaths of a lot of people.

Well, the guys obviously a twat, but arresting him seems like an overeaction. He's just one of a million LIVE douchebags who talk big but could take a fly.

I for one would like to see more of these tards arrested. Especially if they resist. That would be fun to see.

The DSM:

Patrick_and_the_ricks:
I love the Mounties. My own police have nothing better to do than track down some crazy Emo kid in the states. *Sigh.....* Why is live full of wetalds?

Simalacrum:
Blimey, I don't know if this is a good or a bad thing...

Sure, he ended up being a false alarm, and a waste of police resources, but if it were true...

The police wouldn't do it if it wasn't common for school shooters to announce their plans on the internet.

Anyways, I remember this having happened on MW1, too. Jesus, what's with this franchise?

I'm quite happy to hear this actually. Stupid and completely immature losers need to be spanked... or in this case brought in to a police station. Obviously most online threats are idle, based almost purely on agravation and a need for vengeance. Still, civilised people who engage in bantering while playing competitive games won't dish out threats like that. Socially inept people with very little in the way of a moral compass in their life, however, say all sorts of retarded shit usually about harming their adversary in real life, and that to me should always be slammed.

I hope people will wise up and realize they are not cool for even pretending to have plans for a school shooting.

That is ever so slightly terrifying, that a conversation on a game can get you tracked down and arrested.

BUT.

Since this is the US, I'm going to go out on a limb and say when the police looked into it they found more than just a kid with a mouth faster than his brain. Otherwise they wouldn't have a great deal to arrest/charge him with (unless being a tit is now an arrestable offence?). It is quite good to hear that they take this kind of thing seriously too.

But that has more implications for people in less politically transparent parts of the world, say China or Iran for instance. I wonder how many people end up arrested, blacklisted or worse for voicing their honest opinion online.

The guy did the right thing. Maybe it is true that one case out of ten thousand might be legit, but would you want to be the one that had this information before and did not make that call to the police?

Kids these days are slow in the head. They think just because it's online, they are anonymous. Sorry laddy, it doesn't work like that. Anyone on here or on video game consoles are susceptible to being traced. It's not hard to do. Just keep that in mind before you start flaming/threatening people.

Typhusoid:
Well, the guys obviously a twat, but arresting him seems like an overeaction. He's just one of a million LIVE douchebags who talk big but could take a fly.

how is arresting him an overreaction? There's a difference between being a hot headed moron and a possible terrorist.

I hope this will help frighten some of those annoying 14 year olds who always try to sound tough and adult by swearing constantly and making heavy threats on xbox live.
Probably not....

Don't talk about it, just do it. Kids these days are so stupid.

SnootyEnglishman:
I read this same thing just a couple days ago....and i applaud this person for exposing the idiots over XBL who think just because they're anonymous that everything and anything can be said

This. And it's better to err on the side of caution: Imagine how bad this guy'd feel if he hadn't done anything, and the kid had actually been serious and gone through with it.

The DSM:

I know, its a little much.

If they did that with all of them there would be alot of sad 8 year olds

I can see the headlines now:

Violent video game prevents school shooting.

It will be glorious.

Wait, so the kid is being charged with the false-alarm? Shouldn't it be the guy who reported him?

Centrophy:
Wait, so the kid is being charged with the false-alarm? Shouldn't it be the guy who reported him?

Wait, what? So you're saying that a guy who, after hearing that someone was planning to shoot up a school and murder several people, he should be charged because the kid was fucking around? What if it had been true?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here