Borderlands Has Sold 3 Million Copies

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Borderlands Has Sold 3 Million Copies

Speaking at the D.I.C.E. Summit, Randy Pitchford of Gearbox said that Borderlands has sold over 3 million copies worldwide and discussed his hiring strategy: don't hire "dicks."

At the Design, Innovate, Communicate, Entertain (DICE) Summit in Las Vegas, Pitchford discussed the fact that Borderlands was the fastest-selling original IP of 2009. As President, CEO, and co-founder of Gearbox, he highlighted his company's aggressive DLC strategy and how he has assembled a successful design team. Pitchford also said that he keeps his employees happy with several reward systems.

Pitchford said that the key to Gearbox's continued excellence at producing AAA games has been rewarding employees with programs like profit sharing in a game's monetary success, giving bonuses when significant milestones are met as well as discretionary awards based on merit alone. This seems to echo the sentiment discussed by Amy Hennig at Naughty Dog that, at its heart, the videogame industry is a meritocracy.

How do you keep a team happy and drama-free in such a competitive atmosphere? It comes down to their hiring strategy, which according to Pitchford is, "No drama, no dicks, no douchebags."

Wise words.

Source: Joystiq

Well, I suppose, if there's no dicks, the company will run smoother. Quite a good hiring strategy he's got there.

Though, how does he turn dicks/douchebags down?
"I'm sorry, but we can't give you the position of lead animator, douchebag."

Yes yes we all love borderlands, now can you take the fucking DRM out of you DLC so I can play it?!

Snotnarok:
Yes yes we all love borderlands, now can you take the fucking DRM out of you DLC so I can play it?!

Yeah. im stuck in jacobs cove at the moment because I am not re-installing securom :D.

One of the reasons I got interested in the game was because of the enthusiasm Pitchford had, so... nice strategy!

Snotnarok:

A group of helpful individuals have done that.

Though, personally, I can't stand to play the game anymore... Too easy.

Darktau:

Snotnarok:

Yeah. im stuck in jacobs cove at the moment because I am not re-installing securom :D.

One of the reasons I got interested in the game was because of the enthusiasm Pitchford had, so... nice strategy!

Hopeless Bastard:

Snotnarok:

A group of helpful individuals have done that.

Though, personally, I can't stand to play the game anymore... Too easy.

THe game is fantastic, but I can't stand the limited access DLC that also fucks with the game breaking it from the reports I've read. Yeah the game's a bit easy but with friends it's still fun

You know what they're wrong about the no dicks and doushebags, they're all a bunch of dicks for putting the DRM on the DLC

Greg Tito:
which according to Pitchford is, "No drama, no dicks, no douchebags."

So Randy can't stand competition?

=D

I fuckin love this game, it deserves to sell well, best game of last year :P

"Douchebag" is such a douchebag thing to say.

And it makes me feel ill when people say it; just like those creepy ads for them do.

Well that's a good mission statement... EA you should get a look at this and learn it

Pitchford is probably my fav game dev guy out there :p

OT: Mainstream it is... tho when I first saw this thread I thought it said BomerLands as in Bomerman and I was like WHHUUUUUT!?!?!?!?!?! Alas...

A true man amongst men.

Also, its because the game is awesome.

Still no where near the amount of guns that are in the game.

I agree with everything that yahtzee said about the always shooting the same guys in the desert and it should be dreadfully boring so why cant I stop playing it?

Asehujiko:

Greg Tito:
which according to Pitchford is, "No drama, no dicks, no douchebags."

So Randy can't stand competition?

Its like Battle of the Planets or Captain Planet but with game devs

Dennis Dyack!
"with the power of Drama!"
Bobby Kottick
"the power of Dick!"
Randy Pitchford
"the power of douchebaggery"

by our powers combined, we are .... an endless source of gaming news articles!

edit, I got all carried away and hit POST because I was so excited at myself coming up with a crap pop culture reference that I didn't add anything to the OT
anyway, crap statement regarding OT coming right up!

Pitchford discussed the fact that Borderlands was the fastest-selling original IP of 2009.

Thanks Randy, you told us that Borderlands was the best fastest selling new IP of 2009 when it sold 2 million copies, selling a million more doesn't change the fact, but its nice that its still selling.

Its also nice that an original IP sold so well too!.

SnootyEnglishman:
Well that's a good mission statement... Activision you should get a look at this and learn it

fixed for you

MurderousToaster:
Well, I suppose, if there's no dicks, the company will run smoother.

I think I need to go to bed. I totally got a vagina vibe out of the word "smoother."

No dicks, only vaginas.

Ok, it's seriously time for bed.

ForgottenPr0digy:

SnootyEnglishman:
Well that's a good mission statement... Activision you should get a look at this and learn it

fixed for you

I knew it was one of the two..damn brainfarts

Ahh, the three No D's of hiring. Of course.

I still haven't bought it oddly.

If I liked Oblivion and Fallout 3, will I like Borderlands?
OT: Those are the wisest words I've ever heard come out of a Games Designers mouth. Yes, even wiser than Peter Molyneux. [/sarcasm]

Well done to Borderlands! Epic game!

Man, I wish our work place had that mesage.

the reason this was the fastest selling origonal game of 2009 is because there were only like 10 and 8 were shit. was batman:AA an origonal game?

PurpleLeafRave:
If I liked Oblivion and Fallout 3, will I like Borderlands?[/sarcasm]

they're VERY different games, rent it and see what you think. BL is more of a shoot-y run-y game where-as FO3 and Oblivions (why is there no shorter way to type oblivion, O?) combat is just there to break up the RPGing a bit.

Gearbox outsources like the wind blows. So naturally, they can afford to give huge bonuses and rewards to their staff of 60 non-douchebags and then deny the 300 contractors of anything... But hey! Who needs stock options when you can have your name in the credits? :D

No dicks and no douchebags? That's racist!!!!

The company must be a total of one person. lol The only way I can ever see it working.

Altough he's right, I can't help to shake the subtle irony from this line coming from him. The way he moaned, complained and ridiculed about every studio that puts out 3D graphic over the last few months...well that just makes him kind of a douche and certainly a dick.

Also couldn't help but be reminded of this:

I'd love to work in a company that provided % on profits, so awesome.

Too fucking bad those nice people can't fix the need for port-forwarding to host a fuckin' game.

"No drama, no dicks, no douchebags."

Oh the irony, isn't this the same company that flamed Crytek and Valve for not being innovative enough like them?

Flying-Emu:
Too fucking bad those nice people can't fix the need for port-forwarding to host a fuckin' game.

There are some things that are out of their control. They can't control what ports YOUR router has locked out/etc... Sorry man, but that's just a stupid reason.

Almost all the games you purchase at least recommend you port forward even to play online, and especially if you intend to host games. Nothing strange or new here mate.

Zer_:

Flying-Emu:

There are some things that are out of their control. They can't control what ports YOUR router has locked out/etc... Sorry man, but that's just a stupid reason.

Almost all the games you purchase at least recommend you port forward even to play online, and especially if you intend to host games. Nothing strange or new here mate.

I don't use a router. I don't have this problem with hosting games.

I just get sick of trying to join a game and never being able to connect. At the very least they could post some sort of announcement or make it so that people with unforwarded routers can't host games so I can actually FIND a game.

Good job implying that I'm an idiot though.

LWS666:

PurpleLeafRave:
If I liked Oblivion and Fallout 3, will I like Borderlands?[/sarcasm]

they're VERY different games, rent it and see what you think. BL is more of a shoot-y run-y game where-as FO3 and Oblivions (why is there no shorter way to type oblivion, O?) combat is just there to break up the RPGing a bit.

TES IV? TES 4 if you want to be really lazy.

I wonder if they employ a sort of dick/douchebag punishment system.

Tom: Hey guys, Jerry just made fun of my preliminary models. He's being a dick!
Jerry: Did not!
Tom: Did too!
Randy Pitchford: Sorry Jerry, but I heard it too. Looks like it's your turn to sit in the Circle of Shame.
Other game designers: Circle of Shame! Circle of Shame!
Pitchford: I'm very disappointed in you Jerry. You've already got three ticks against your name on the douchebag board. If you keep this up, we may have to let you go.
[/drama]

I mean, can they seriously weed out all the dicks and the douchebags based on how they hire them?

theownerer:
I agree with everything that yahtzee said about the always shooting the same guys in the desert and it should be dreadfully boring so why cant I stop playing it?

Yahtzee also thinks WoW is unplayably horrible and they still have a trillion players. I laugh at the idea of he'd say if he got a crack at Farmville and their 35+ million players.

So THAT'S why there's no story.

Can I has DLC please.

Asia PSN is getting shafted by 2k (no DLC yet!), Capcom a Japanese company(No RE5 DLC yet!) and Ubisoft (No ASSCREED2 DLC yet, even with studios in Singapore AND Shanghai)

You think the Europe PSN has it bad

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or