Tecmo Bowl Rated By ESRB, Totally Coming Soon

Tecmo Bowl Rated By ESRB, Totally Coming Soon

In yet another sign that a Tecmo Super Bowl reboot is on its way, the game was rated on the ESRB website.

Last month, we reported that a Tecmo Bowl game was still in the works. The game has apparently garnered an "Everyone" rating despite "low-cut tops" and "swimsuit models." We now have confirmation that the working title is Tecmo Bowl Throwback and that there will be cleavage. Thank you, ESRB.

This is a top-down arcade-style football game in which players compete against teams around the country to become the "Tecmo Bowl Champion." Some of the football highlights are depicted in animated cutscenes (with better graphics); a few non-football highlights depict cheerleaders wearing low-cut tops while dancing. And a jumbotron screen displays a 2D swimsuit model with some exposed cleavage.

Other than the fact that Tecmo at least is serious enough about this game to submit it to the ratings body, several facts can be gleaned from this nugget.

It sounds like the gameplay will pretty much be identical to the old school 8 bit Tecmo Bowl and its sequels.

I'm unsure what "better graphics" refers to. It could mean a general update in graphics over the old version, as MTV posits, but I think it just means that the cutscenes after a touchdown or during key moments are better animated than the regular football gameplay.

Finally, I think we can give up hope that EA will relent and allow any kind of of NFL license for the game. Somehow, being crowned "Tecmo Bowl Champion" won't feel as sweet as Super Bowl Champ, but I'm more worried about the stats of the players. Will they have fictional names? Will the game use the stats of current NFL players but define them by uniform numbers, as they do with college sports games? Will they recreate the stats of the NFL circa 1991 Or will it all be fictional with made-up team names and stats?

Part of the charm of Tecmo Bowl was that you could play as Phil Simms or John Elway. I don't think it will be as cool to have QB Vikings throwing an interception in his final NFL game as it would to play out Bret Favre's ultimate demise.

Source: ESRB

I am confused here. So is this an arcade game, a proper game or a 2D remake of a game?

A top-down 2.5D remake of the original game? Very interesting.

Greg Tito:
I don't think it will be as cool to have QB Vikings throwing an interception in his final NFL game as it would to play out Bret Favre's ultimate demise.

Ouch. Nice burn. Poor Favre, one of the greats of his time, throwing an INT as his last play.

AvsJoe:

Greg Tito:
I don't think it will be as cool to have QB Vikings throwing an interception in his final NFL game as it would to play out Bret Favre's ultimate demise.

Ouch. Nice burn. Poor Favre, one of the greats of his time, throwing an INT as his last play.

Well, he did set the all-time record for interceptions...

OT: I'm definately getting this game. I have fond memories of playing on the NES way back when.

Haven't played this since the NES, good times indeed.

This can only be good. Anything that can predict the Super Bowl winner that doesn't have John Madden's name and lets you play as Bo Jackson is always a positive.

NEVER. UNDERESTIMATE. THE POWER. OF TECMO SUPER BOWL.

So there's football and cleavage?

Sounds good to me.

Tecmo Super Bowl was/is my favorite sports game of all time, if not my favorite game of all time. Let's look at the remake checklist:

Are the original game's developers doing the remake: Check! That's definitely a good thing.

Does the gameplay sound like it will be similiar to the original: Check! TSB's gameplay was simple and fun. If the remake's gameplay is similar, that's a "plus".

Does the game have the NFL license: No, but I can't blame the developers for EA Sports being the greedy hoarding bastards that they are, so I'm not going to hold it against the game.

Is there cleavage like in the original: Check! Best of all, the graphics have been updated! Bonus points!

Overall: The remake sounds excellent. Will buy when it comes out.

What platforms will it be on?

Sooooo basically Blood Bowl with real people instead of murderous fantasy figures? I'll pass. Playing American Football with gigantic Orcs is a bit more appealing.

Oh yay, another terrible game not to buy...

Screw this title. They need to re-release Tecmo Cup Soccer. The only football RPG I've ever played. It was awesome.

Low Key:

AvsJoe:

Greg Tito:

Well, he did set the all-time record for interceptions...

He did? I didn't know that. Well then, the burn was deserved.

presidentjlh:

Does the game have the NFL license: No, but I can't blame the developers for EA Sports being the greedy hoarding bastards that they are, so I'm not going to hold it against the game.

Don't worry, I'll blame them for you. They just don't want any competition so they don't have to turn out an improved product, they can just continually ship out the same game with a new number tacked on the end of it and someone they can jinx on the cover.

Cowabungaa:
Sooooo basically Blood Bowl with real people instead of murderous fantasy figures? I'll pass. Playing American Football with gigantic Orcs is a bit more appealing.

Have you ever played Mutant League Football? it was released on the genesis waaaay back when. it had orcs, skeletons, goblins, robots... they need to remake that game!

Tecmo Super Bowl is my favorite football game (admittedly I haven't played very many). But I reserve judgment on this until I see screen shots and gameplay footage.

QB Colts throws a slant route pass! PICKED OFF BY DB SAINTS! THERE'S NO ONE IN FRONT! HE COULD...GO...ALL...THE...

Somehow it just doesn't seem as cool.

Low-cut tops? Cheerleaders? And it's made by Tecmo?

If they're not using the jiggle physics from the DOA games I'm going to be very, VERY disappointed.

SimuLord:
Low-cut tops? Cheerleaders? And it's made by Tecmo?

If they're not using the jiggle physics from the DOA games I'm going to be very, VERY disappointed.

That's Team Ninja's calling card, not Tecmo's.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here