Toriyama: Final Fantasy XIII's Linearity is Beneficial

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Toriyama: Final Fantasy XIII's Linearity is Beneficial

The director of Final Fantasy XIII doesn't want you to think his game takes players along a straight, boring line, and instead says any linearity is actually a good thing.

We all know that linearity is the sign of a bad videogame. Any release that doesn't let you create your own completely unique experience every time you play should be thrown directly into the trash and forgotten about forever. Final Fantasy XIII director Motomu Toriyama oddly disagrees with this, recently posting a response on the game's official website to those that say the title is too linear for an RPG.

He writes: "There have been many who expressed opinions regarding the story driven nature of FFXIII making for a linear gameplay progression so I shall briefly talk about that concept here." He goes on to explain that any linearity is intentional due to the two worlds the game takes place in: the futuristic world of Cocoon and the primeval world of Gran Pulse.

"The game system itself actually changes between these two worlds, with the first half of the game taking place in Cocoon being a very story driven experience, whereas the second half in Gran Pulse is an open world design with a more free style of gameplay. In order to allow the player to become absorbed in the drama of the storytelling and the new and exciting world of Cocoon and be drawn to the characters without getting distracted or lost we have deliberately used a linear game design for the introduction sections so they can be enjoyed in the same manner as watching a film."

Toriyama says that his team at Square Enix was going for a FPS "vibe" where the player "rapidly progresses through a series of dramatic events and experiences one after the other on an imposing and atmospheric battlefield." This early linear section also allows the player to get the hang of Final Fantasy XIII's new battle system, according to Toriyama.

I don't import, nor am I special, so I have not played Final Fantasy XIII yet, but what Toriyama describes here sounds exactly like almost every other Final Fantasy game. Western RPGs tend to be built around open worlds, but JRPGs like Final Fantasy usually work just like Toriyama says FFXIII works: a huge portion of linearity, followed by open-world exploration (usually accompanied by the acquisition of an airship). This structure is in fact a staple of JRPG design.

I would never want to see a series like Final Fantasy go into the realm of total linearity, cutting out any exploration or side-RPG elements, though I won't know how well FFXIII incorporates these until it hits shelves on March 9. Depending on how long each world lasts, and how truthful Toriyama's statements are, Final Fantasy XIII's partially linear structure might be nothing new at all.

Author's Note: The first two lines of this article are sarcasm.

linear does not equal role playing game japan, thats just an adventure game with rpg elements; precisely why i dont pay much attention to FF anyways

My problem with a linear game is it has no meaning, you either succeed or fail. You don't build up your own experiences in a game when you have no choice on what to do.

Sure even an open world game has a beginning, middle and end same as a linear game but it's the bits in between that matters.

Getting from A to C shouldn't always mean you need to go to B, why not try Z now and then?

As Yahtzee says, non-linearity does not a good game make. Funny how his army of followers seem to forget that whenever they get stuck into their JRPG bashing.

Anyways, I'm of the belief that linear games will always have the potential to tell better stories than non-linear ones. Part of what makes a story so good is the way the events the characters go through play off each other as the narrative develops. The tragedy of Oedipus could never work as a Bioware style RPG, precisely because by introducing choice you remove the tragic chain of events that lead him to bonking his mum. Similarly, how can you ever have a story that properly examines themes and motifs if you give the player the choice to hop back and forth over the morality line at every turn?

EVERYBODY STEP THE FUCK BACK!

This is how you make a GOOD JRPG:

Clear path with lots of side paths you can take to explore and shit (see: FF7, FF5)

HOW YOU DO NOT MAKE A JRPG:
Directionless clusterfuck (see: FF6's World of Ruin)

STRAIGHT FUCKING LINE WITH NOTHING ELSE TO DO (see: FF13)

BALANCE PEOPLE, LEARN IT

I only used FF games as examples for obvious reasons.

And in general, no Tom, linearity does not kill a game.

God, have these guys been talking to Sony/Kotick on how to hype games beyond the point anyone cares?

I think people should stop whining about a game that they haven't even played yet. Most JRPG's are like this and what does it matter. Story is a good thing. They tried the big open world stuff in FFXII and nobody, for the most part, liked it. We play FF for the story. Yeah it's gonna be somewhat emo and dark. FF has always been a drama series. I fail to see the problem. It's not Fallout or Elder Scrolls: anything. I'm looking forward to the linear RPG style and a good story with an awkward script. That's honestly what makes them so damn good. A lot of people may argue the point, but FF games have always been this way. Sure you may get to wander around the world map early on in the game sometimes, but if you wanna progress in the game there is only one place you can go. Really if you wanna do anything but grind there is only one place to go.

Darkwolf9:
I think people should stop whining about a game that they haven't even played yet. Most JRPG's are like this and what does it matter. Story is a good thing. They tried the big open world stuff in FFXII and nobody, for the most part, liked it. We play FF for the story. Yeah it's gonna be somewhat emo and dark. FF has always been a drama series. I fail to see the problem. It's not Fallout or Elder Scrolls: anything. I'm looking forward to the linear RPG style and a good story with an awkward script. That's honestly what makes them so damn good. A lot of people may argue the point, but FF games have always been this way. Sure you may get to wander around the world map early on in the game sometimes, but if you wanna progress in the game there is only one place you can go. Really if you wanna do anything but grind there is only one place to go.

People are complaining about it because FF games have always had nooks and cranies to explore, and sidequests to do. FF13 is a straight fucking line.

As far as Final Fantasy always having been about emo darkness... that LITREALLY only describes 8 and 13, and to a FAR lesser degree, 6 and 4. 5 was an outright comedy.

Speaking of comedy, did you implying that FALLOUT is a grimdark wrist cutting experience? That series that's known for it's dark humor more than anything?

Well, to quote from Queroulous.

They promise the freedom balloon: Open world, full of choice and possibilities, sandbox.

We get the string of sausages : The majority of the stuff they actually give us is like that; linearity, in each sausage you can move around a bit until you pass the next choke point to enter the next sausage.

Linearity or sandbox? Depends on what the games aims for and many other factors. Both have their advantages, both have their flaws.
When its linear its easier to control the flow and make the "event triggers" work properly.. but the player has no freedom. (in a way, like a interactive movie)

And in sandbox you are free to do as you wish.. but you might get lost/confused since you have so many options (maybe we are used to getting controlled at every step we make?) and a lot of the content might not be used/seen by the player in an open world... its harder to make the game flow feel right and beleivable.

Twad:
We get the string of sausages : The majority of the stuff they actually give us is like that; linearity, in each sausage you can move around a bit until you pass the next choke point to enter the next sausage.

That is by FAR the best description of any FF game I've EVER heard!

Nerf Ninja:
My problem with a linear game is it has no meaning, you either succeed or fail. You don't build up your own experiences in a game when you have no choice on what to do.

Sure even an open world game has a beginning, middle and end same as a linear game but it's the bits in between that matters.

Getting from A to C shouldn't always mean you need to go to B, why not try Z now and then?

I disagree that it has no meaning. A linear story if told right has plenty of meaning. You can still build up relationships with your characters and learn about pasts and such. With most linear games you may only go from A to B to C, but outside of that there are plenty of chances you can venture of to do side quests. I've not played a linear RPG yet without side quests. It just means they tend to have a more rigid story which works well for people who enjoy story along with a game. For me most western RPG's lack real story. Don't get me wrong there are some good worlds out there, but I feel that the story telling is often lacking and they leave most of it up to you to imagine how it should go. This to me takes out the inventiveness of a good story.

Really can't wait for this game. I really don't mind the linearity if the story is good. Plus the game still has an open world later on to explore. Getting it on release day.

Darkwolf9:

Nerf Ninja:

I disagree that it has no meaning. A linear story if told right has plenty of meaning. You can still build up relationships with your characters and learn about pasts and such. With most linear games you may only go from A to B to C, but outside of that there are plenty of chances you can venture of to do side quests. I've not played a linear RPG yet without side quests. It just means they tend to have a more rigid story which works well for people who enjoy story along with a game. For me most western RPG's lack real story. Don't get me wrong there are some good worlds out there, but I feel that the story telling is often lacking and they leave most of it up to you to imagine how it should go. This to me takes out the inventiveness of a good story.

Yeah that's actually a good point. I guess "No meaning" was a bit extreme.

Actually, you could say a book is an extremely linear experience but I wouldn't change them for the world.

Apart from a choose your own adventure book of course.

Nerf Ninja:

Darkwolf9:

Nerf Ninja:

Yeah that's actually a good point. I guess "No meaning" was a bit extreme.

Actually, you could say a book is an extremely linear experience but I wouldn't change them for the world.

Apart from a choose your own adventure book of course.

I'd argue that a Choose Your Own Adventure/Fighting Fantasy book fits in EXACTLY with the "String of Sausauges" approach that was described earlier.

I stopped thinking of Final Fantasy games as RPGs a while back--let's face it, there's about as much role-playing in them as there is in, say, Uncharted. But hey, the Uncharted games were pretty linear and I liked them anyway, so I can't see FF13's linearity being much of an issue.

i don't see whats so bad about linearity i mean if you absolutely have to go from point a to point b then i see how it could be bad, but if the story is good i don't really care. and these types of games usually have some side quests you can do away from the main story, which should be enough. jrpgs make you follow their story thats how it is

Tom Goldman:

We all know that linearity is the sign of a bad videogame. Any release that doesn't let you create your own completely unique experience every time you play should be thrown directly into the trash and forgotten about forever.

I genuinely hope that this is sarcasm, because if it isn't you are provably wrong. Half-Life anyone? Probably the best linear gaming experience ever released. Ignoring genre's where linearity is essentially the norm, such as RTS, Fighters and the like, there is a dearth of great linear games from the earliest days of gaming.

The more I think about it, the more you must be joking, because you can't possibly be consigning Day of the Tentacle, Grim Fandango, Halo, Bioshock, Perfect Dark, Mario 64, Phantasy Star Online (continued ad infinitum) to the garbage. Linearity can create a rollercoaster ride of explosive set pieces, compelling scripting and an absorbing experience when correctly implemented.

Hopefully I'm preaching to the choir...

lordlee:

Actually, I think FF6's World Of Ruin is great for a couple of reasons. First, by that point in the game you're already pretty knowledgeable about most of the world and part of the experience is exploring just how it's changed by the cataclysm. Secondly, another part of the experience at that point is finding out just what's happened to all of your lost compatriots... sure you could do this in a guided fashion, but I find the way it's done adds to the fun.

As to the topic at hand, I think he's wrong to compare FFXIII to other genres as even if they are more linear in nature. In most linear games (aka the better ones) you have more latitude to explore the areas you're in at least on a strategic level. From what I've heard about FFXIII, and experienced in latter FF games in general, there is very little strategic exploration at all. You fight certain enemies how they are meant to be fought period. At least in something like Gears Of War you can flank in different ways, run and gun, rushdown, etc. Oh, and to the author of the article, FFXIII as described really isn't like any other FF game. Sorry.

StriderShinryu:

lordlee:

Actually, I think FF6's World Of Ruin is great for a couple of reasons. First, by that point in the game you're already pretty knowledgeable about most of the world and part of the experience is exploring just how it's changed by the cataclysm. Secondly, another part of the experience at that point is finding out just what's happened to all of your lost compatriots... sure you could do this in a guided fashion, but I find the way it's done adds to the fun.

Which would be great if half your compatriots weren't just 2-D tagalongs who only exists to service the party split-ups. The balance and pacing of the game is shot to hell in the World of Ruin, and by the end of the game the only characters I could stand were Edgar, Setzer, and Sabin.

Dahemo:

Tom Goldman:

We all know that linearity is the sign of a bad videogame. Any release that doesn't let you create your own completely unique experience every time you play should be thrown directly into the trash and forgotten about forever.

I genuinely hope that this is sarcasm

Total sarcasm! Portal springs to mind as well.

Every Final Fantasy Game (11 doesn't count it's not a real FF game) has been a basically linear experience. Even 12 is basically a linear game with some optional side quests tacked on as a second thought. It's what Square does best, it's what the fans want. I don't understand why anyone would care/notice that FF 13 is linear because that's the essence of pure Final Fantasy right there.

P.S. Non-linearity in games is overrated and generally ends up with a game that is overly short because they spend a lot of time creating content that you can't possibly see all of in one play-through. Even then there are normally just a few choices that lead to a few possible paths. Real choices would be far too expensive to model.

lordlee:

Darkwolf9:

People are complaining about it because FF games have always had nooks and cranies to explore, and sidequests to do. FF13 is a straight fucking line.

As far as Final Fantasy always having been about emo darkness... that LITREALLY only describes 8 and 13, and to a FAR lesser degree, 6 and 4. 5 was an outright comedy.

Speaking of comedy, did you implying that FALLOUT is a grimdark wrist cutting experience? That series that's known for it's dark humor more than anything?

FF has always had nooks and crannies to explore, but I haven't heard that there aren't any in the game at all. Besides most of the people here haven't played the game to complain about it yet. I don't particularly find the games emo, but that is the prevalent notion of the FF series. 6-13 had dark tones some more so than others, but they were good in their own respects (except 8 past the b.s. revelation that they all knew each other when they were kids).
As far as the Fallout reference goes, no I wasn't implying that it was dark or emo. I was saying that FF is and has always been a drama of sorts and Fallout and the Elder Scrolls series is definitely not.

lordlee:
FF13 is a straight fucking line.

...have you...played it?

Linearity doesn't necessarily make a bad game. Lack of innovation, however, does. And that has been Final Fantasy's biggest problem from the beginning. It's both linear AND lacking in innovation. FF's main mechanics haven't changed since the days of NES.

Now I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'll still be renting and playing through Final Fantasy 13, and I'm sure it will still be regarded highly in the eyes of most people. This is part of the issue though. We aren't doing the series any favors by continuing to praise the same ol' formula. Yes, the stories are sometimes great and are always changing, but that alone shouldn't warrant a 90%+ average review score. We have to demand that they take a little chance every once in a while, you know, change SOMETHING.

lordlee:

thepopeofatheism:

lordlee:

...have you...played it?

Admittedly no. But I have seen maps and screenshots. And heard countless reviews and responses. It's a straight line. Now admittedly, I don't know THAT much about the story, but that's not getting much positive reception either. I'll probably rent it, but in terms of what I'm excited for VS13 looks a lot more hopeful.

Xzi:
Linearity doesn't necessarily make a bad game. Lack of innovation, however, does. And that has been Final Fantasy's biggest problem from the beginning. It's both linear AND lacking in innovation. FF's mechanics haven't changed since the days of NES.

Oh christ not you again.

Yes, I'm still here, and yes, I'm still unimpressed by Final Fantasy 13, and VS13. Hell, I'd say I'm more unimpressed by VS13, considering we still have virtually no details on it and there is talk that it won't even be showing at E3. Keeping everyone in the dark until release shows that the developers have very little confidence in the product. It'll bomb.

I am not one to knit-pick but it irks me that Sque-enix keeps defending FFXIII from less than stellar reviews or criticisms. It is not like the game has been reviewed badly, everywhere I look its above 7's and some 10's here and there. There is no real reason for them to be defending the game so forcefully before it ever comes out outside of Japan.

Also, Sque-enix loudly touted that FFXIII would be the granddaddy of all JRPGs that would revitalize the Japanese gaming industry. I find it incredibly juvenile of them to not be accepting of their criticisms after they said something so bold. And to their credit, with the sheer scope of FFXIII, they've changed how the Japanese gaming industry will do things from now on.

It's like they completely ignore all of the praises their game has received (especially regarding the battle system, voice acting, graphics, etc.) and only focus on the (slightly) negative.

Tom Goldman:

Dahemo:

Tom Goldman:

I genuinely hope that this is sarcasm

Total sarcasm! Portal springs to mind as well.

Ah, fair enough sir, fair enough. I may have lost my e-dignity briefly, but to be honest it's worth white-knighting for gaming linearity, it's one of the many drums morons like to bang upon. "Give us freedom" they wail, "give us new experiences!" yet when these things are presented to them: Saints Row for the former, Giant: Citizen Kabuto for the latter, these so called pioneers run back to their Modern Warfares and cuddle them like favoured childhood toys.

Apologies for my hair-trigger reaction. Vivre le difference! And the familiar, of course...

Xzi:

lordlee:

thepopeofatheism:

lordlee:

...have you...played it?

Admittedly no. But I have seen maps and screenshots. And heard countless reviews and responses. It's a straight line. Now admittedly, I don't know THAT much about the story, but that's not getting much positive reception either. I'll probably rent it, but in terms of what I'm excited for VS13 looks a lot more hopeful.

Xzi:
Linearity doesn't necessarily make a bad game. Lack of innovation, however, does. And that has been Final Fantasy's biggest problem from the beginning. It's both linear AND lacking in innovation. FF's mechanics haven't changed since the days of NES.

Oh christ not you again.

Yes, I'm still here, and yes, I'm still unimpressed by Final Fantasy 13, and VS13. Hell, I'd say I'm more unimpressed by VS13, considering we still have virtually no details on it and there is talk that it won't even be showing at E3. Keeping everyone in the dark until release shows that the developers have very little confidence in the product. It'll bomb.

No Xzi, logic doesn't work that way.

lordlee:

Xzi:

lordlee:

thepopeofatheism:

lordlee:

...have you...played it?

Xzi:

Oh christ not you again.

Say what? Logic dictates that if things have followed a pattern for 20 years or so, there's a damn good chance that pattern will continue. Every game I know of which lacked details up until release ended up being sub-par at best. List a few games that contradict this rule, and I might be inclined to change my mind.

In this case I'm guessing the VS13 devs are simply counting on blind fanboys like you to ignore logic and pick up the game before the bad reviews start pouring in.

Tom Goldman:
I would never want to see a series like Final Fantasy go into the realm of total linearity, cutting out any exploration or side-RPG elements,

But isn't that precisely what FFX went for?

lordlee:

You forgot 7 and 10. The only reason Cloud isn't remembered as emo is because Squall had literally no other personality trait. Also Tidus had daddy issues and cried often :V

He probably didn't like Dr. Strangelove, either...

Xzi:
Linearity doesn't necessarily make a bad game. Lack of innovation, however, does. And that has been Final Fantasy's biggest problem from the beginning. It's both linear AND lacking in innovation. FF's main mechanics haven't changed since the days of NES.

Now I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'll still be renting and playing through Final Fantasy 13, and I'm sure it will still be regarded highly in the eyes of most people. This is part of the issue though. We aren't doing the series any favors by continuing to praise the same ol' formula. Yes, the stories are sometimes great and are always changing, but that alone shouldn't warrant a 90%+ average review score. We have to demand that they take a little chance every once in a while, you know change SOMETHING.

I completely agree with you. If a new, interesting, and engaging story was all that was needed for 90%+, then why bother making another game? One could theoretically accomplish the same entertainment from a long movie or a good read. To me story alone does not justify a $60 price. I'd rather spend $7 at the movie theater or $12 on a good book.

Now don't get me wrong, I place a good story as one of my biggest criteria for me buying a game. But, personally, I have a set list of criteria I run down to determine whether or not I buy a game. And I never buy a game based solely on one criteria. That's not to say FFXIII only fulfills the story criteria, I'm just not that interested in it.

Adrimor:

Tom Goldman:
I would never want to see a series like Final Fantasy go into the realm of total linearity, cutting out any exploration or side-RPG elements,

I wouldn't say so. There were some side-elements including the arena challenge fights and such.

Linearity is not a bad thing at all. Everyone wants to have a sandbox game now, so games with out sandbox like elements in it always seem to be ridiculed for not being "expansive". Sometimes being in a sandbox game can be boring. I actually applaud the makers of Final Fantasy for sticking to what they do best, and not making some stupid massive sandbox game just because everyone else is doing it.

Xzi:

lordlee:

Xzi:

lordlee:

thepopeofatheism:

lordlee:

...have you...played it?

Xzi:

Oh christ not you again.

Say what? Logic dictates that if things have followed a pattern for 20 years or so, there's a damn good chance that pattern will continue. Every game I know of which lacked details up until release ended up being sub-par at best. List a few games that contradict this rule, and I might be inclined to change my mind.

In this case I'm guessing the VS13 devs are simply counting on blind fanboys like you to ignore logic and pick up the game before the bad reviews start pouring in.

Yes Xzi, I'm a blind fanboy, that's why I've called multiple FF games shit and am horribly skeptical about 13 itself.

Yeah no, you just don't like that I call you on your "lol it's the same as the nes games" bullshit.

Adrimor:

Tom Goldman:

lordlee:

You forgot 7 and 10. The only reason Cloud isn't remembered as emo is because Squall had literally no other personality trait. Also Tidus had daddy issues and cried often :V

He probably didn't like Dr. Strangelove, either...

But Cloud isn't emo anywhere but Advent Children. He's just a normal guy who gets mindfucked a lot in the original game, and he's just quiet in other appearances. Haven't played 10, so no comment there.

Also: FLUORIDE IS FOR COMMUNISTS.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or