Uncharted 2 Wins Writer's Guild Award

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Uncharted 2 Wins Writer's Guild Award

The treasure-hunting action adventure from Naughty Dog, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, was honored by the Writer's Guild of America.

Last month, we told you that the nominations for the Writer's Guild award for Best Videogame Writing in 2009 were Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, Ubisoft's Assassin's Creed II, Infinity Ward's Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Bethesda's Wet and Activision's X-Men Origins: Wolverine. At the ceremony held on Saturday February 20th, the award was given to Amy Hennig for Uncharted 2: Among Thieves.

This marks the third time that the Writer's Guild have given an award for videogame writing. The first two winners were Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (2008) and Dead Head Fred (2007). Because the rules demand that the nominated writer be a member of the Writer's Guild, the spectrum of games considered at first was small. Now that the award has gotten some traction and more videogame writers are joining the creative union, we may see the nominees truly be indicative of a game's excellence in writing.

There was no way Wolverine was going to win, but maybe next year we'll see games like Mass Effect 2 and Dante's Inferno on the list of nominees instead of movie license tie-ins.

Source: WGA

If it isnt a bioware game that dosnt win next year I will be shocked!

uncharted won another award? how surprising /sarcasm

Jaredin:
If it isnt a bioware game that dosnt win next year I will be shocked!

NINJA'D!

I Hate! ninjas!

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Wet, X-Men Origins: Wolverine... as good writing?
Were they just trying to troll us at first or something?

I kid, I kid... sort of.

Still, its not that suprising. If Uncharted 2 didn't win Assassin's Creed 2 would be my guess at the winner.

I still haven't played it. Though I've heard some good things about it

Why! Why hasn't AC2 won any awards! Uncharted always gobbles them up from Ubisoft....

(I'm an Assassin Creed Fanboy... forgive me....)

I couldn't think of anything clever or witty to say so I'll just applaud them.

*Applauds*

Eh. I think there are a few games that deserve that award more than Uncharted 2. Sure it was good, but the story and writing just felt like an Indiana Jones movie set in the modern era. Nothing new or innivtive or susspensful, just cliches. Humurously written cliches mind you, but it really dosnt deserve an award for writing.

Not suprised really, the writing was dang good in Uncharted 2. Assassins Creed 2 would take the silver medal I think.

Naughty Dog out did themselves on this game, I had a blast with it, and for anyone who hasn't tried it, it's worth at least renting.

Greg Tito:
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (2008)

.... how is that even........ wha?

BrotherhoodOfSteel:
Why! Why hasn't AC2 won any awards! Uncharted always gobbles them up from Ubisoft....

(I'm an Assassin Creed Fanboy... forgive me....)

forgiven...and I'm with you.

Oh and congratultions

Rainboq:

Greg Tito:

I know. I know.

Writing, as in story? What? I don't get it. These are the nominations? Don't get me wrong, they're good games. But seriously?

.....Is there some kind of bizarre rule disqualifying canadians?(Bioware, in this case) or just plain awesome people(valve)?

The field of competition effectively renders any prestige attributed to this award nonexistent. Seriously, that list of nominees reads like a bizarro universe version of what a "good writing" list should look like.

Does anyone even know if Mass Effect 2 is eligible? Remember this is a writers guild award, if you aren't in the guild, you don't get to compete (even though you would obviously win, I mean come on, The Force Unleashed?).

Uncharted 2 should ave won not only because it's great but most of the other nominees are poor.

Rainboq:

Greg Tito:

It's an award for writing, not voice acting or gameplay.

And the writing for The Force Unleashed wasn't bad, for a video game.

I believe you can only be eligible for this award if you're a member of the Writers' Guild, so that's why some obvious candidates are missing.

And rightly so, I feel the game was done very well.

Irridium:
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Wet, X-Men Origins: Wolverine... as good writing?
Were they just trying to troll us at first or something?

Anyway, I kid, I kid... sort of.

that's exactly what I thought at first.

None of these games had remotely good writing. Assasin's Creed II and Uncharted II were the best but when you have a turd, a pile of vomit, and a puddle of piss as your competitors I guess you're a gonna win by default. For this to even be considered as a legitimate award is embarrassing.

Maybe I'm just a loser mainstream gamer, but what the hell is "Dead Head Fred"?

phoenix352:

What's wrong with Uncharted? It was a very good, well thought out game.

How the hell did Uncharted beat Assassin's Creed 2?

Uncharted is basically just every adventure movie rolled up into a somewhat decent game.

Greg Tito:
Writer's Guild award for Best Videogame Writing in 2009 were Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, Ubisoft's Assassin's Creed II, Infinity Ward's Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Bethesda's Wet and Activision's X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

Seriously? Uncharted 2 was up against a confuddled WWIII theory, some drunk girl who slaughters everyone for whatever reason, and a game with practically nothing to stand on with the shitty movie tie in?

Assassin's Creed 2 I think did have a pretty cool story, and congradulamatations to Uncharted 2 for winning, but come on, it wasn't exactly the creame of the crop.

Then again, there were definitely worse last year, though for the life of me I can't recall.

Alright, I might just sound like a Bioware fanboy, but where was DA:O in this?

Numb1lp:

phoenix352:

What's wrong with Uncharted? It was a very good, well thought out game.

there's nothing wrong with it... neither did i say there was.
iam just annoyed is all every 5 minutes an article or some thing says uncharted 2 wins an award if you count them all it has like 50 something awards in every category in almost every awards event since it came out and it never stops every day it wins a new award O.O i mean common enough is enough.

Is this surprising? They give the award to the game which has a story straight from Hollywood. That said, the field was so sparse that giving the award to anyone else would have been even worse.

I don't mean to discredit the winner, but these awards are kind of meaningless. If you're not in the guild you're not eligible to win, and a lot of the writers in the game industry aren't actually members of the Writer's Guild. It doesn't really celebrate or reward good writing in the medium as much as it does members of their own group who have written for games.

Uncharted deserves to win because it's one of the few stories that could actually survive outside of a video game. Final Fantasy? Doesn't/didn't/won't work as a movie. Half Life? At best it'd be somewhere between the Doom movie and whichever Resident Evil movie you dislike the least. Most video game stories just suck in any other medium. So congrats to Uncharted for having as story that people actually like and respect. Now excuse Desmond Miles while he goes into the Anusmust to become an ancient assassin in a rollicking, time-travel adventure.

Next year's winner :Heavy Rain. Sorry Bioware fans but we have seen the "Good/Neutral/Evil" Stories from Bioware for a while now. I mean Heavy Rain's story seems more involving than just "pick one of 3 text options with obvious result" followed by "go kill things".

Lost In The Void:
Alright, I might just sound like a Bioware fanboy, but where was DA:O in this?

You're kidding right?

Why the hell is Wet there, I mean seriously!??

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here