Clever DSi Hidden Object Game Uses Ingenious 3D Technology

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Clever DSi Hidden Object Game Uses Ingenious 3D Technology

An upcoming DSi hidden object game uses the handheld's cameras to emulate technology similar to that of Dr. Who's Tardis.

Anybody who knows Dr. Who understands that his time-and-space traveling Tardis was way bigger on the inside than it appeared on the outside. DSiWare's Rittai Kakushi E Attakoreda, which translates to something like Hidden 3D Image: There It Is!, makes the DSi look like it was created in the same way. Players of the game will feel as if they're peering into a fully 3D scene, rather than looking at a flat LCD screen.

The game is really something that you won't understand fully until you see it in action. It apparently uses the DSi's camera's in such a way so that if the DSi is tilted, it makes it appear to change the view on the system's two screens as if the viewer was looking around a 3D room, simulating actual depth. The game is billed as a puzzle-adventure, but looks like a hidden object game with a twist. Players must rotate each scene to find letters and other objects, but they're often formed only by looking at the space from a certain angle.

Rittai Kakushi E Attakoreda will be available March 3 as a download though the DSiWare shop for a reasonable 500 Nintendo points, but has only been announced for Japan as of now. Considering how the game asks players to find letters from the basic English alphabet, it wouldn't be surprising to see this neat little title hit other regions' DSiWare shops someday too. I know when I get my extra large DSi it would be something I'd drop a 5-spot on. I've always wanted a Tardis, but if this is the closest I can realistically get without upsetting the flow of time, so be it.

(Via: Siliconera)

Wow, Kind of trippy. But also, kind of like an iPhone. Know what I mean.

Calumon: My head hurts.

That is completely awesome. I want it in my pants.

That is absolutely amazing. I want it, but won't get it. I only have original DS, and I don't plan on spending.....however much it and the game costs.

That's awesome. Reminds me of this.

OK that was pretty damn awesome. The amount of depth portrayed was impressive to say the least.

hURR dURR dERP:

Yeah, Lee is awesome. I think his invention are better since it actually tacks your head instead of the movement of the surroundings.

That looks pretty fun. Though people would stare at me if I tried to play it in public.

That's a really cool way to use the DSi's camera. I'm glad developers can still come up with interesting ways to use the technology they're built around.

Finnally, innovative good use of DS hardware!

And yeah, having said that they really have just taken or hired or kidnapped Johnny Chung Lee and used his ideas. - name courtesy of hURR dURR dERP.

redmarine:

hURR dURR dERP:

Yeah, Lee is awesome. I think his invention are better since it actually tacks your head instead of the movement the DSI.

True, but you can't expect a DS to have the same capabilities as a Wii. Unless the DS came with those goggles he used.

King Leonidas:
This. Is. AWESOME!

Neo:
Whooaaa...

WTF Boom guy:
WHAT THE F---!

Ted Theodore Logan:
Whooaaa... *air guitar*

Me:
Shut the hell up guys, I'm watching the YouTube video!

That looks awesome. Really inventive.

hURR dURR dERP:

DAMN! That is awesome! I don't see any reason why that couldn't be implemented on XBox Natal, using visual tracking rather than infrared. Awesome!

hURR dURR dERP:

BWAAAARGHHH!

They both fucked with my head...

hURR dURR dERP:

redmarine:

hURR dURR dERP:

Yeah, Lee is awesome. I think his invention are better since it actually tacks your head instead of the movement the DSI.

True, but you can't expect a DS to have the same capabilities as a Wii. Unless the DS came with those goggles he used.

Come to think of it, the DS is doing it visually, isn't it? So this would totally be possible on Natal! I'm officially 30x more stoked for Natal!

300lb. Samoan:

hURR dURR dERP:

DAMN! That is awesome! I don't see any reason why that couldn't be implemented on XBox Natal, using visual tracking rather than infrared. Awesome!

The movement needs to be more or less synced with the position of the player's eyes to properly create the illusion of depth, so if Natal can 'see' where the player's eyes are, I think it should be possible.

I just shat bricks.

At first I was like that's nothing special. Then he tikted the screen and I was like :O That's amazing!

Wow, that could be used to create some amazing games! I almost wish I had a DSi now. Almost.

That is pretty amazing, too bad I won't be buying a DSi anytime soon with the DS2 looming in the distance.

I can see this being adapted to the Natal or Arc so they will be able to follow you and then change the image on screen, rather than tracking the surroundings. Now that I think of it, that might be what Molyneux meant when he said Natal would be as revolutionary as the mouse... No, it just sounds cool.

Yay I knew getting a DSi wouldn't be pointless XD
OT: That really does look amazing but it brings up the question. Which of the big Nintendo games will use this as a gimmick first, will it be Mario, Zelda or perhaps Metroid?

That blew my mind, seriously, I think a blood vessle ruptured.

This kicks so much ass....Nobody's going to say it? Fine I will.

Can't wait for the Ero upskirt games with this technology.

*super uber mega ultra waterfall ddddddddddddddddrrrrrrrrrrrrroooooooooooooooooooooooooolllllllllll*

I WANT THIS NOOOOOOOWWWWWW!

300lb. Samoan:

hURR dURR dERP:

What he did there is Natal, in a nutshell. The same guy helped make Natal I think.

Is anyone else annoyed that tilting it up makes it look down?

MetaKnight19:
OK that was pretty damn awesome. The amount of depth portrayed was impressive to say the least.

I will say! Shows some pretty good hope for the device!

Does it also make your DS look like a Police Box? Because that would be cool.

It looks like a reversed Natal...

I'd play it. I love this kind of thing.

WOW, that's incredible...
Dunno if it's worth trading in my DS for a DSi, but geez, that sure is impressive 0_0
(should they come out with more games using this kind of tech though, then I suppose I'll have to buy an old GBA for my GBA games : P )

Something like that is enough of a reason to get a DSi over a DSLite for a first-time buyer. It's also a neat way to use the camera (honestly the only neat thing about the camera). What it needs is to be put in a survival-horror game. "What's in that door?" Tilt it to look, zombie jumps out, you throw your DSi across the room.

The_AC:
Is anyone else annoyed that tilting it up makes it look down?

I don't know what to make of you. Of this.

This is such innovative use of the DSi's camera, and way more functional than most of the camera utilizing games out there. If it comes out across the pond I'll have to bug my boyfriend to purchase this.

Wow, that's mind-bendingly cool! It reminds me of a Wii homebrew/hack I saw where they guy made a 3D tracker headset (I'm sure it's on YouTube somewhere.)

And not to be super-nerdy but it's spelled TARDIS or less commonly T.A.R.D.I.S. as the name is an acronym for "Time And Relative Dimension(s) In Space": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TARDIS

The_root_of_all_evil:
Does it also make your DS look like a Police Box? Because that would be cool.

That would certainly be a cool shell for one's DS! Certainly better than the ones NERF puts out.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here