Super Mario Galaxy 2 Box Art Responds to Original's Hidden Message

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Super Mario Galaxy 2 Box Art Responds to Original's Hidden Message

The world is one step closer to discovering who Mr. Gay really is.

The most absurd coincidence to arise in the history of humankind has presented itself in the form of the latest Super Mario Galaxy 2 art (which is possibly, but unconfirmed as the game's official cover art). The original Super Mario Galaxy box art may have included a hidden message, found by noticing which letters were labeled with small shine marks, and while that message was coincidental enough, it appears that the sequel's cover offers a direct response.

Looking closely at the box art for Super Mario Galaxy, you can see that the shine marks clearly spell out "U R MR GAY," or "You Are Mr. Gay." The game became known for exhibiting this silly, immature message, but nobody thought it could have actually been intentional, until now.

Looking at this art for Super Mario Galaxy 2, the shine marks notate "U R M A I A Y." While "UR MAI AY" is nothing significant, and the controversial saga nearly ends right there, All is Brawl noticed that if you reverse the sequence, you get: "YA I M R U," or "Yeah I am, are you?"

I'm speechless. The nature of a coincidence is such that it could happen twice, but this is almost on par with the kinds of hidden messages politicians leave for each other. Could it be that some kind of unknown creature or presence only has the ability to communicate through shine marks on Super Mario Galaxy box art? Is someone at Nintendo an expert at silly internet talk and intentionally putting these foolish messages on the boxes? Is this coming straight from Iwata-san himself? Nobody knows, but I can't wait for Super Mario Galaxy 3, not only because I love the series, but because I have to know how this wraps up.

(Via: Destructoid)

Wow.

Thats honestly pretty interesting.

I may buy this game just to help them get the third one along.

I think this is more a case of All is Brawl's subconsciously suppressed homosexuality breaking free, since you have to reverse & rearrange the letters to get that.

I love how immature the response is.

You are Mr.Gay!

Yeah I am. ARE YOU!?

Glad to know Nintendo isnt a company entirely comprised of family friendly faux political correctness!

I still hate you for saying that you were glad that Fallout 2 image was cut, but the interesting'ness of this article is to much to scorn you for it.

That is so amazing. I bet the box art designer is laughing his head off at this point!

Sexy Guy:
Glad to know Nintendo isnt a compant entirely comprised of family friendly faux political correctness!

I till hate you for saying that you were glad that Fallout 2 image was cut, but the interesting'ness of this article is to much to scorn you for it.

Thank you for your partial forgiveness.

I did notice after I played the first one I started talking with my hands a lot. I'm afraid that after I play this one I may start talking with a lisp and listening to a lot of Abba. Still, if being gay means playing this game, sign me the hell up.

Is nobody else seeing this? It's URMIAY. There's quite clearly no star on the green A.

Tom Goldman:

Sexy Guy:
Glad to know Nintendo isnt a compant entirely comprised of family friendly faux political correctness!

I till hate you for saying that you were glad that Fallout 2 image was cut, but the interesting'ness of this article is to much to scorn you for it.

Thank You for your sarcasm. With the way you ended your Article pertaining to the lost Pip-Boy Image, I did'nt think you were one to be humorus, and thought you were sectretly in cahoots with the politically correct League of Soccer Moms. ;)

The saga continues!

I hope that we find out MR GAY is Geno or something, haha.

I don't have a Wii but I'm picking up these games just for that.

Whomever discovered this should attempt to get a waver from god exonerating them from the amount of life time they wasted figuring this all out.

Jon Etheridge:
I did notice after I played the first one I started talking with my hands a lot. I'm afraid that after I play this one I may start talking with a lisp and listening to a lot of Abba. Still, if being gay means playing this game, sign me the hell up.

OMIGOD OMIGOD OMIGOD! JON ETHERIDGE IS WILLING TO GO GAY FOR THIS GAME!

Well, if it's good enough for Jon, much like the President, it's good enough for me!

*Starts watching MTV to quickly become a homo!*

Just as a side note, doesn't this box art pretty much confirm that Sonic is NOT a playable character as well?

Sexy Guy:

Tom Goldman:

Sexy Guy:

Thank You for your sarcasm. With the way you ended your Article pertaining to the lost Pip-Boy Image, I did'nt think you were one to be humorus, and thought you were sectretly in cahoots with the politically correct League of Soccer Moms. ;)

No, no, I am very humorous and sarcastic. Take almost nothing I say seriously.

Tom Goldman:

Sexy Guy:

Tom Goldman:

Sexy Guy:

This included? ;)

For some reason I can't see the image. I've tried refreshing the page and right clicked it on both view image and show image. The image box appears then it disappears shortly after.

I don't see it... maybe an annotated image would help

I'm more worried about what Mario is doing to Yoshi I find it very suggestive and Yoshi's look of happy submission is terrifying.

I think Mario is in Mid spank also

MR.Gay indeed

Svenparty:
I'm more worried about what Mario is doing to Yoshi I find it very suggestive and Yoshi's look of happy submission is terrifying.

I think Mario is in Mid spank also

MR.Gay indeed

I had the exact same thoughts.

Has no one considered the possibility that this is an ill-conceived attempt to contact Mr. Happy?

well until Nintendo themselves confirm it, it's all just conspiracies

thepopeofatheism:
Has no one considered the possibility that this is an ill-conceived attempt to contact Mr. Happy?

If anyone did, then they're the one's who think that "picking up a faggot" means collecting sticks in a bundle.

Image broke )=

Yopaz:
For some reason I can't see the image. I've tried refreshing the page and right clicked it on both view image and show image. The image box appears then it disappears shortly after.

Same here, but I assume this is what y'all are refferring too:

http://www.thetanooki.com/2010/02/27/is-this-the-cover-art-for-super-mario-galaxy-2/

StevieWonderMk2:
Is nobody else seeing this? It's URMIAY. There's quite clearly no star on the green A.

Also I agree with you person, but it does seem like they'd mean something at least

lacktheknack:

thepopeofatheism:

If anyone did, then they're the one's who think that "picking up a faggot" means collecting sticks in a bundle.

Hey, this is the Japanese here. Notorious for out-dated and awkward translations.

Why are we ignoring the fact it looks like Mario is fucking Yoshi. Look at the positions and facial expressions.

Sexy Guy:

Tom Goldman:

Sexy Guy:

Tom Goldman:

Sexy Guy:

This included? ;)

That, but not this.

People just find hidden messages in everything. Pure coincidence I say.

PayJ567:
That is so amazing. I bet the box art designer is laughing his head off at this point!

All the way to the bank!!!

TBH, I don't really see it. This is the first I've ever heard of any subliminal messages in the box art, and although I don't actually own the game, I was just looking at the pictures and I can't see any patterns in the stars/shinies. I'll take your word for it, as you certainly seem to think it's newsworthy, but this sounds like a coincidence to me.

I want to believe...

I am more baffled as to why that mario planet in the background has a green hat on.

Cousin_IT:
I think this is more a case of All is Brawl's subconsciously suppressed homosexuality breaking free, since you have to reverse & rearrange the letters to get that.

/agree lol

LeonLethality:
I am more baffled as to why that mario planet in the background has a green hat on.

Because red grass just doesn't look right, I would assume.

My opinion of the whole "You are Mr. Gay", "Yeah I am, are you?";
Hilarious
Please, please let this be intentional in some way! I love it when game developers/publishers have a sense of humor about themselves (Why I liked the "Bioshock 2 Uber edition unveiling" and "F.E.A.R. 2 Slow-mo death-match" videos so much), and this being intentional would just be so damned satisfying to me, for some odd reason.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here