Ubisoft Denies Launch Day Crack for Silent Hunter 5 DRM

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Wakefield:
I'm gonna say that Ubisoft is just sore about losing this war.

Aye, and I hope, really hope, that they're going to lose. Their DRM bullshit is not something I want to support. I was going to buy either the Black or White Edition of Assassins Creed 2 but when I heard about the DRM I thought "Fuck. It." I'm not going to support their stupid retarded ideas, no way. The Gods bless Skidrow, Razor1911 and the rest who have accepted the challenge and are fighting back. I wish I could do something to help, except not buying their fucking games anymore...

new_age_reject:
Heh, don't they realise that without making you go to Ubi headquarters or playing directly from their servers it's impossible to make something pirate proof, if you have the vital game files in your possession then you can crack it. This new DRM is ridiculous and is harming gamers more than it is helping them which further fuels the pirate community.

Don't get them started. I abhor the idea of cloud gaming, but that seems to be exactly the route that is being taken. The technology is right on track to have us playing next gen games streamed to our computers through a browser.

Seems like a perfect win right? Except that then you would always have to be online as there would be no local install, except maybe a browser tool or a specialized browser. It's like the Ubisoft DRM scheme times 1000.

Which would be great for casual games, and games with short bursts of playtime like racing games. Anything longer or having more potential for customization, I would want a local install so that I can have real fun with the game.

Heh, the funny part is that no one can confirm it officially without admitting to piracy

Now all that's left for Ubisoft is to come and say "HEY GUYS! Our DRM totally works and it's completely stopped piracy! And if you think otherwise that means you downloaded the game thus you're a DIRTY STINKIN' PIRATE!"

I wouldn't be surprised.

I don't pirate games, and I really want to say that pirating a game is always wrong. And I intend to never pirate this or any game. However, Ubisoft is making me seriously question whether I'm doing the right thing. A first day crack, the more I think about it, might send a positive message to Ubi, and make them give up on these stupid DRM scams. And they need bad PR regarding this always online BS. It's sad that I don't want to pirate their games, but feel like they are trying to force me to. A lot of people are not going to be as stubborn as me.

The real thing I'm interested in is information on the last PoP game. The one they released with no DRM as an experiment, to see how often it was pirated. Once that comes back as hardly pirated at all, then there will be a true reckoning.

So they make a sheme that you have to be connected to the internet at all times? That's just brtual. My respect for Ubisoft dropped quite a bit, glad that I didn't pick up AC2 for PS3.

It seems to be almost an E-sport already to crack shit on launch day. I wish the developers just gave it a rest already.

Hmmm.... Let's see something in the long run.... Let's see if this first-day crack will allow pirates to really play the full game.

They just held a news conference, here is a pic:

Just checked a reliable source. Cracked and fully functional. Good going Ubisoft.

Ishnuvalok:
Just checked a reliable source. Cracked and fully functional. Good going Ubisoft.

Is the reliable source your hard drive?

Dirty poirate!

OOooh, that's gotta hurt. lost my business AND got cracked on day one! Well, let's hope this serves as a lesson to all those other publishers watching out there.

Ishnuvalok:

Ah, you checked a reliable source? We all have our sources, I guess.

Of course its not complete! You cant use UBisofts awesome DRM/online service!

Fuck Ubisoft. *pirates things they make out of spite*

or I would.

If there were anything Ubisoft makes that'd be worth the download times

Wakefield:

They have to justify the millions of dollars spent getting their DRM up and running, of course they are going to say it hasn't been cracked.

Besides, their denial is bait. If they can get a pirate to come forward, they can go after that pirate.

Xanadu84:

The real thing I'm interested in is information on the last PoP game. The one they released with no DRM as an experiment, to see how often it was pirated. Once that comes back as hardly pirated at all, then there will be a true reckoning.

My interest in this situation lies in that the latest PoP game wasn't necessarily a guaranteed best-seller. If they took the DRM off something that was a huge release (AKA, ACII) then that would probably yield more dramatic results.

As it is, it just sounds like a ploy to get people to buy more PoP, if just to "cast their vote with their money." I've seen several comments from people who are buying PoP, not because they necessarily want the game, but because they want future DRM to stop!

Well done, Ubisoft, you are now using our hatred of DRM to sell your games.

haha.
Do these people not realize that the more that they say their DRM is "uncrackable" the faster it will be cracked? If one thing is true about the internet, it is it is not a good idea to tell them they can't do something?

Royas:
Did they download it (gasp, breaking the law!) and play it through? I doubt it.

You raise a good point, is there anyone here who can answer this from a legal perspective? Seeing that Ubisoft are the copyright holders, I presume that they are well within their legal rights illegally obtain a copy of their own product (and in turn upload some of the 'illegal' product as torrents upload as they download right?)

Side Note: Also, if I went out and bought Spore could I then download it off the internet so that I didn't have to bother with DRM?

These pirating-topic comment threads are always adorable because we know that up to about 90% of the PC gamers pirate so naturally you can expect that ratio supporting the pirates' side of the story.

I'm guessing what Ubisoft is implying is that they've a secondary copy protection measure in place that prevents some vital feature of the game from unlocking in the pirate version.

Personally, I care less about whether or not the game was cracked and more that they released Silent Hunter 5. Wow, that series has been around forever.

the_tramp:

Side Note: Also, if I went out and bought Spore could I then download it off the internet so that I didn't have to bother with DRM?

I'm no expert on copyright law, but from what I've talked over with my brother (who is doing his Masters degree focused on such things) I don't think that's legal.

A lot of laws need to be updated for the digital age.

Actually i must say, their idea is stupid, i mean what if someone who buys game doesn't have internet?

Wakefield:

Yes, yes they are. Of course, anyone with sense could have told them that they were fighting in a silly, silly manner.

rembrandtqeinstein:
They just held a news conference, here is a pic:

I'm glad he found employment again - I missed his crazy, funny rants about how their where no US troops in the city. Ah, good times.

They're in denial, awesome. Ubi got what they deserved with this one.

PhunkyPhazon:
They're in denial, awesome. Ubi got what they deserved with this one.

Agreed. You know they had to have expected this would happen when they challenged the hackers to a pissing contest.

The funny or perverse part (depending on how you look at it) is the only effect more intrusive DRM can possibly have is to discourage genuine sales, if pirates continue to crack it immediately.

So the ratio of pirated copies rises. Solution? Well, more DRM, of course!

I can confirm personally, that SHV is working perfectly here.

A friend who bought it... not so much. Her wireless is too flaky to be able to play.

I personally hope the people who cracked it get caught and sued

Joshc Shin:
"The full version of the game leaves you with an emptier wallet, a feeling of being screwed over if you are one of the 30% of Americans without broadband, and soreness in your rectum after finishing going through our DRM procedures. We at Ubisoft think this increases the value of our games."

Not to mention the large number of Australians who don't even have a dialup connection, never mind ADSL or Cable.

I understand the desire to protect their game from piracy, but this has been one big PR clusterfuck from day 1 for Ubisoft.

And now they're coming across as a petulant child.

Pirate child - Nah nah nah nah nah, we broke your DRM
Ubiisoft child - Nuh uh, you didn't
Pirate child - Did too
Ubisoft child - Did not
Pirate child - Did too
Ubisoft child - Did not
Pirate child - Did too
Ubisoft child - I'm going to tell on you!

So, to recap...

"Pirates defeat Ubisoft in submarine battle."

laserwulf:
So, to recap...

"Pirates defeat Ubisoft in submarine battle."

Ha ha! Brilliant

Korten12:
Im happy this DRM got cracked but honestly already? do the hackers have no life at all but to hack stuff?

I'm pretty sure they saw it as a challenge

Glad I read this I as actually thinking about buying some of those games until I saw the drm. Dear god, I think next Ubisoft is going to want a pint of blood. (Yes I am implying that Ubisoft are a bunch of blood sucking vampires)

That being said, I have never pirated a game. Although, my recent pc game purchases have me wishing that I was a pirate, as I would have uninstalled the game after 10 minutes of playing it. (Bioshock 2, Supreme commander 2)

Andy Chalk:
"Please know that this rumor is false and while a pirated version may seem to be complete at start up, any gamer who downloads and plays a cracked version will find that their version is not complete."

Of course UbiSoft are technically correct. It's "not complete", because it doesn't have the DRM! What a bunch of snakes UbiSoft are, I don't support piracy but I still hope that the pirates take Ubi to the cleaners.

Couple of questions: First of all, is it really illegal to download pirated games in the US? I think in The Netherlands (and some other European countries) you can pretty much download anything you want for personal use, you just can't upload it.
Second, how is it possible this was cracked so fast? You have to play on UbiSofts' servers right? It seems to me that if that's the case, they don't have to give you the entire game on the disc. They could omit small files without which the game would crash at certain points (let's say every 5 minutes). If you arrive at these points and you're connected to their server (and you are, because of the DRM) the files get downloaded automatically. I guess that eventually you would get the entire game on your disk, so it can be pirated, but at least you would need to beat the game first. And if the game has some choices (let's say different endings, based on some early choice in the game), you would have to beat it more than once. Seems like that would slow down the pirates...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here