Korean Otaku Marries Anime Body Pillow

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

A Korean anime fan has proudly tied the knot with a pillowcase featuring the image of his favorite magical girl heroine.

Heavy Rain asked the player, "how far would you go for love?" Would you go so far as to travel to another country? Would you kill a man? Or would you just decide that your soulmate was a fictional character and marry her image printed on a cotton pillowcase?

A Korean otaku opted to go with the last option, wedding a dakimakura body pillow featuring the image of Fate Testarossa, one of the popular heroines of magical girl show Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha. Not only has this particularly dedicated fan married his favorite pillowcase, he also takes her out on dates to restaurants and to amusement parts, as chronicled on media sites.

This isn't the first time we've seen die-hard otaku marry fictional characters: A Japanese man named Sal9000 married his virtual girlfriend in dating sim Love Plus back in November. While our natural inclination to these scenarios is to sit back, point and laugh (and boy, do we sit back, point and laugh), it raises some interesting philosophical questions about marrying inanimate objects.

Oh sure, it's not a problem now as long as you're marrying pillowcases and plastic Nintendo DS screens, but what happens when we invent realistic sexbots (other than the extinction of humanity, that is)? What happens when AI becomes sentient? Will convincing a computer to fall in love with us save us when the machines take over?

One has to wonder how long the happy groom will remain happy for - after all, judging by the popular opinion expressed in fanart and fanfiction, his new bride is a total lesbian. On the other hand, it's not like he has to worry about a pillowcase cheating on him, unless you count what happens when he puts her in the washing machine with his other body pillows.

(Sankaku Complex)

Wow society has fallen a long llloooonnng way.

Possibly longer than long cat...

Now this isn't racism I'm about to spout, but is it just me or are Korean, Chinese and Japanese nerds just a touch more demented than any other nerds?

I just don't get it, why are they the crazy ones?

Nowadays, this is tame for Japan.

EDIT: Damn my bleeding eyes, the man's Korean. Ignore this.

... And Gay marriage is still illegal? Please, someone tell me they have gay marriage over there or I may feel the urge to shoot someone.

Why is it always the Japanese?

But it can't be a proper marriage can it? There has to be a rule about the bride actually being a human.

........im going back to bed.
Wake me up when people can think rationally again.

Out of sheer curiosity, does anyone know if he booked a honeymoon?

Can't wait to see the kids. >.<

Calumon: Humans are boring and weird. Why can't we all love me?

Stranger of Sorts:

AndyFromMonday:

Article Title:

Seriously guys?

Well... that's odd.

But hey, at least he ain't hurting anyone. Apart from maybe his social life.

On the brightside, he won't have to worry about old flames.
On the downside, he's going to accidentally rip her open one day and her Entrails (Stuffing) will spill out.

Would that count as murder, or just stupidity?

Furburt:
Now this isn't racism I'm about to spout, but is it just me or are Korean, Chinese and Japanese nerds just a touch more demented than any other nerds?

You say that like their aren't crazy nerds here.

Gigaguy64:

So you never wanna wake up again? Got it.

Japan: Been there, married that. Korea: Aspires to greatness.

and i thought the Japanese and Chinese took up most of the crazy...Now we can add Korea to the mix

Resist urge to comment
Resist urge to comment
Resist urge to comment
darn it i just cant resist, does the pillow have a hole?

I bet even the most hardcore members of the family values crowd would see this and just give up. I mean at this point it really isn't worth it any more is it?

Man...Humanity is awesome.

Mr. Fister:

Furburt:

Gigaguy64:

So you never wanna wake up again? Got it.

Thanks man.
(grabs a Samus pillow and locks his door)

Stranger of Sorts:

But it can't be a proper marriage can it? There has to be a rule about the bride actually being a human.

Don't both members have to consent to marriage? Hense why you cant marry an animal or child. Maybe the rules are different over there *shrug*

Gigaguy64:

How many decades do you wish your comma to last?

OT: This guy is...an odd one...I think something must have happened to his ability to interact with other human beings. But at least he...dated the pillow before he married it...that makes it better right?

Clearly this is a publicity stunt for Dante's Inferno.

Mr. Fister:

Oh, there is, but whatever the Western world does, you can bet that either Japan, Korea or China will take it and make it crazier.

Gigaguy64:

See you...never.

We've always been this crazy, we just never had worldwide news to broadcast our craziness.

Catkid906:

Calumon: Humans are boring and weird. Why can't we all love me?

Because you're not real dammit! YOU'RE NOT REAL! AAAAAARGH!!

i just lost all faith in humanity. i cannot believe people would do that i mean its a pillowcase or whatever its not real it boggles the human mind.

Korean Otaku Marries Anime Body Pillow.

Korean Otaku Marries Anime Body Pillow.

*head explodes*

Furburt:

Gigaguy64:

See you...never.

We've always been this crazy, we just never had worldwide news to broadcast our craziness.

Isn't modern media amazing?

Aby_Z:
... And Gay marriage is still illegal? Please, someone tell me they have gay marriage over there or I may feel the urge to shoot someone.

Marriage is defined as the sacred union between a man and a woman*

*or some reasonable facsimile thereof

SnootyEnglishman:
and i thought the Japanese and Chinese took up most of the crazy...Now we can add Korea to the mix

That's what happens when a culture is too repressed.

It's also the reason why Puritans had 7 month pregnancies.

Congratulations, you have officially failed at life, Korean nerd.

You failed hard.

His parents must be so proud of him...

This is so wrong on so many levels. We really need to find a way to actually get people to go outside and away from computers to meet people and make friends again in the immediate area. It's already hard enough with everything going digital like job hunts(no more social networking for employment) and now relationships.

EDIT: You know if he changed the pillow case, does that mean he is having an affair? I mean did he marry the pillow or the pillow case?

Asturiel:

Gigaguy64:

How many decades do you wish your comma to last?

According to these pills my buddy Tessai gave me i should stay asleep for about 4 Decades.
But, he has given me bogus medicine before......im not sure if i can trust these...

Amnestic:

Stranger of Sorts:

AndyFromMonday:

Article Title:

Seriously guys?

Oh shit, the man's Korean ain't he?

Well, if there is a divorce, I wonder how they'll split the possessions. Will he get the top, or the bottom half of the pillow?

I wish the happy couple all the best and to have a long and happy... what the hell am I saying? He married a fucking pillow!

I remember making a joke similar to this a few months ago.

Huh.

Stranger of Sorts:

He's Korean, it says so in the title.

Unless when you said "why is it always the Japanese" you meant, why is it that Japan make such sexy pillows, in which case I'm not sure how they do it.

Those crazy japs, sure do know how to make pillows.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here