Ubisoft DRM Authentication Servers Go Down

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

.... Just take away the DRM you idiots. How thick can Ubisoft be

I was going to laugh, but that would be repetitive... So I'm going to say this:

OH DEAR GOD WHAT THE BLOODY GOSH DARN HELL?!

*snrk* *giggle*, this is just marvelous. It's like Ubisoft is actively fighting themselves in this battle

Ruh Roh my lawsuit sense is tingling.

Well...

that didn't take long now did it?

Just remember folks, the pirated copy is not a "complete" game, as in it's missing the DRM. :)

Oh Ubi, I'm so very glad you're running into problems already. I hope you choke on your new DRM and die c:

Logan Westbrook:
This is a disaster that everyone saw coming, but probably didn't expect to see quite so soon.

Are you kidding? All of that information pinging back and forth to Ubi's shiny new servers? This is pretty much exactly what I was expecting.

I'm starting to think that in the long run here most devs are probably going to be successful at what seems to be (as best as I can tell) their long-term goal of pushing all games onto the consoles and completely abandoning the PC as a platform. If or when that happens all of the piracy that happens on the PC due to its relative ease are going to simply follow to the consoles while the massive power-vacuum left on the PC will be filled by what are now the 'indie' devs who won't be so abusive to their customers.

At this point I almost am wishing for that to happen already.

Hubilub:

Rex Dark:

Hubilub:
First the PS3, now the PC.

Now we just have to wait for every 360 in the world to stop working and the circle is complete!

...oh wait.

First we wait for all Wii(s?) to suddenly start exploding.

My Wii is going to explode!?

But... But I don't even have a child yet.

Don't tell me you weren't expecting it to explode when you bought it!?

Shamus young already has his column and webcomic for the week.

OT: Things like this make me glad I'm a console gamer and show that DRM is insane as now only the pirates can play the game

Wow, this makes such a good argument for buying their game legitimately:

Legal Version: Connection required at all times to even play; Even with our unreliable servers that might go down occasionally. 59$

Pirated Version: Play anytime you want, connection or not. No risk of losing your saves. No monitoring program. 0$

I wonder if Ubisoft would fire me if I were their marketing guy and came out with this ad for their games?

Hahahaha ahhh sometimes life happens just the way you hope.

Rex Dark:

Hubilub:

Rex Dark:

Hubilub:

Now we just have to wait for every 360 in the world to stop working and the circle is complete!

...oh wait.

I didn't buy it, I got it for free.

It's been with me for a good 16 years now. But I didn't know it was going to explode!

Maybe this'll teach them that the DRM was a stupid fucking idea in the first place.

Spore's DRM was better than this.....

DoctorNick:

I'm starting to think that in the long run here most devs are probably going to be successful at what seems to be (as best as I can tell) their long-term goal of pushing all games onto the consoles and completely abandoning the PC as a platform. If or when that happens all of the piracy that happens on the PC due to its relative ease are going to simply follow to the consoles while the massive power-vacuum left on the PC will be filled by what are now the 'indie' devs who won't be so abusive to their customers.

Well, indie devs, people like Ice-Pick Lodge, Valve, etc, but yeah. I won't exactly be thrilled (c'mon, shooters were meant for mouse + keyboard), but it'll work out for the best, I suspect.

Also, it'll be funny watching the outcry as publishers start really trying to stifle the second-hand market on consoles.

GamingAwesome1:
Maybe this'll teach them that the DRM was a stupid fucking idea in the first place.

Spore's DRM was better than this.....

You mean less bad right? It's less bad. It's not really better, just less bad.

Just to let everyone know, the actually Devs don't like DRM at all. They hate it as much, if not more than the players do. It's the shareholders who like DRM. When I say shareholders I mean the Board of Directors. I've got stock in a few companies and I just keep collecting the news articles in my attempts to prove that DRM is not only worthless when it comes to games, but it's actually counter-productive to consumers.

Pirates will pirate the game anyway. Why do we need to treat paying customers like criminals? If we keep doing that, all it will do is drive away the paying customers.

Give it a couple more years and console games will be pirated on a PC too.

Hawgh:
*snrk* *giggle*, this is just marvelous. It's like Ubisoft is actively fighting themselves in this battle

Yes, it's like Edward Norton beating himself senseless in Fight Club.

DoctorNick:

I hope you're Nostradamus. I'd much prefer companies like Stardock and Tripwire to be the big players on the PC than have companies like Activision and Ubisoft screw us over.

vxicepickxv:

Give it a couple more years and console games will be pirated on a PC too.

Couple more years? More like a couple years ago.

Hubilub:

Rex Dark:

Hubilub:

Rex Dark:

Hubilub:

...oh wait.

It's been with me for a good 16 years now. But I didn't know it was going to explode!

Obviously whoever gave it to you wants you dead.

FUCK OFF UBISOFT.

After you've shipped me my copy of assassin's creed 2...

You know... I knew this was a huge mistake and waste of time, but this? Christ, I at least thought they'd get the servers working before people started using them.

"Hey Bob the servers went down."
"That'll teach those darn pirates."
"You mean the ones who don't have to put up with this shit? The ones who cracked it? Leaving only paying customers feeling pissed off?"
"Yes. That'll teach them!"

And I was put on probation for calling someone who endorsed this ignorant.

But this isn't going to convince Ubisoft that this new DRM scheme is less than shit. Not until they get sued up the ass for it or have a hostile takeover, anyway.

Fast forward ten hours and it seems that the problem still hasn't been resolved, despite the assurances from a Ubisoft representative that the servers were 'constantly monitored'

<Looks over> "Yep. Still down. You suppose they should have spent a little less money on 'monitors' like us, and a little more on actual server technicians?"

Rex Dark:

Hubilub:

Rex Dark:

Hubilub:

Rex Dark:

Hubilub:

...oh wait.

I'm not going down alone! I'm taking someone with me!

*looks for nearest person... which happens to be you*

Furburt:

DoctorNick:

I hope you're Nostradamus. I'd much prefer companies like Stardock and Tripwire to be the big players on the PC than have companies like Activision and Ubisoft screw us over.

I usually like to think of myself as more of a fiddle-playing Nero than anything else, but hopefully things will turn out for the better and it won't be necessary this time.

This explains why I didn't purchase, and will not be playing AC2.

The moment I heard of this DRM, the first thing that came to my mind was "DDoS bait"

Not sure if that's what's happening, but I wouldn't be at all surprised.

I'd be interested to see the financials on the following:

- The amount of money invested in Server-Based DRM infrastructure
    - The amount of money invested in paid salaries of DRM monitors/techs
    - The number of boxed retail copies of the game sold (not shipped) on PC
    - The number of digital download sales (Steam, Direct2Drive, etc.)
    - The number of pirated downloads

I wonder if, after you do all the calculations, if this was even a 'profitable' move on Ubisoft's part. I mean, if you're satisfying shareholders, shouldn't you at least make it profitable?

I wonder if this really is meta stuff and this was Ubi's way of proving to shareholders that the investment isn't worth the return? i.e. Ubi went out of their way to take the flames of the gaming world press, waste a ton of money, and jeopardize their place in the hearts of gamers just to show the investors that DRM is a failed enterprise.

DoctorNick:

But won't pirates just figure out a way to crack console games then? I remember a friend of mine had a stack of ripped games back in the PS1 days. He bought them from a little hole in the wall place in Chinatown (how's that for stereotypes) for an 1/8th of their retail price. At the end of the day, a game is still just data, in a piece of hardware designed to read said data... Data can be copied, hardware can be modified, and laws controlling the internet still suck ass. Also, the sky is still blue, the world is round and when you drop your Assasins Creed 2 CD out of the window it will accelerate towards the ground at 9.8m/s.

Fucking derp, man. Well, on the bright side, it could be worse. Ubisoft could decide to pull a full Nexon and ban 2,700 users on suspicion of having caused the server crash.

DoctorNick:

If that happened piracy would just move over to the consoles, and it would still be a very big problem.

well, that was fast. Considering how wildly unpopular this method of DRM is with us gamers, maybe it was intentional sabotage? I mean, when you've got a massive hulking single point of failure like that you're going to set up all kinds of failsafes and backups that keep exactly what happened from happening by accident.

and that's why piracy exists!

Hubilub:

Rex Dark:

Hubilub:

Rex Dark:

Hubilub:

Rex Dark:

Hubilub:

...oh wait.

I'm not going down alone! I'm taking someone with me!

*looks for nearest person... which happens to be you*

I can come along?
Great, I've got to visit someone in Hell, because apparently he can't control my floor heating.
You know, some idiot minion of mine I left in charge while I'm on vacation in the mortal realm.

imperialus:

DoctorNick:

But won't pirates just figure out a way to crack console games then? I remember a friend of mine had a stack of ripped games back in the PS1 days. He bought them from a little hole in the wall place in Chinatown (how's that for stereotypes) for an 1/8th of their retail price. At the end of the day, a game is still just data, in a piece of hardware designed to read said data... Data can be copied, hardware can be modified, and laws controlling the internet still suck ass. Also, the sky is still blue, the world is round and when you drop your Assasins Creed 2 CD out of the window it will accelerate towards the ground at 9.8m/s.

That's exactly the point.

Most mainstream devs are going to try to move on to the 'greener pastures' of the console only to have the exact same problems follow them there because they can't fix these sorts of problems using the same brute-force kind of methods.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here