Ubisoft DRM Authentication Servers Go Down

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

AkJay:
Why is it that everything Ubisoft (and EA... OH! And Activison) touches dies?

Well, Activision is only a so-called middle-man. Since they merged (or something like that) with Blizzard, they've also adapted Blizzard's "less content, more price (or no content, some price)" -policy. EA doesn't seem too bad nowadays. :P

So bets on a public statement saying its not a problem & nothing of value was lost ?

Irridium:

Hopefully Ubisoft realises what a stupid system this is and drops it.

Yeah, right.

Amnestic:
It's just a little bit embarassing at this point.

Meanwhile, pirates (I assume) get to play their cracked version without issue. Nice job Ubisoft, really.

I agree, selling a game that literally does not work is as if they're trying to promote piracy than fight it.

Good job Ubisoft! Screw over all of your consumers who actually give a damn about gaming, while the pirates you were trying to prevent are sitting around playing the game laughing all the way.

Ahahahahahaa, PWNED!

it seems Ubisoft has taken the IW route of slowly converting to consoles and then finally putting their balls in the PC gamers´ mouth.

Hands up who could see this one coming? *Raises his hand*

Amnestic:
It's just a little bit embarassing at this point.

Meanwhile, pirates (I assume) get to play their cracked version without issue. Nice job Ubisoft, really.

Not so. AC 2 hasn't been cracked yet, don't know how long it will take.

The irony. It amuses me.

Kwil:
The moment I heard of this DRM, the first thing that came to my mind was "DDoS bait"

First thing I thought of:

Anonymous:
"I've been fax DDoSing [the Church of Scientology] with black pieces of paper taped together creating an infinite loop but they've recently blocked them from coming through."

These Ubisoft games sound fantastic. I'll buy them at a high price.

Ubifail!

Ill laugh my pants off if pirates make a fully working version!

Well this is a complete surprise! /Sarcasm

Heh I was wondering how long it'd take for this happen. Didn't think it'd be this soon, but I, and more or less everyone else it seems, saw it coming from miles away.

Wonder how many of those people went out and got cracked versions as a result?

Very silly idea on Ubisofts idea to ever even consider this form of DRM. I really think the idea of DRM should be dropped. As long as there is software and the internet, there will be piracy. Companies should just stop wasting money trying to stop the pirates. There will always be people who will actually be happy to buy the game legally.

LordShadowCaster:

AkJay:
Why is it that everything Ubisoft (and EA... OH! And Activison) touches dies?

Well, Activision is only a so-called middle-man. Since they merged (or something like that) with Blizzard, they've also adapted Blizzard's "less content, more price (or no content, some price)" -policy. EA doesn't seem too bad nowadays. :P

Except for the fact that for the first 2 days after the release of Bad Company 2, no one could play the f*cking game online because they couldn't get their servers together.

TheMadTypist:
well, that was fast. Considering how wildly unpopular this method of DRM is with us gamers, maybe it was intentional sabotage? I mean, when you've got a massive hulking single point of failure like that you're going to set up all kinds of failsafes and backups that keep exactly what happened from happening by accident.

Depending on the cause, yes. But a massive database like that has it's problems (remember it needs to be able to accommodate several million users active at once, given their anticipated retail figures, potentially sending out game data to all those users, that's a lot of bandwidth no matter how you look at it). If it "failed over" it may not be all that easy to find and fix the issue that caused it to fail in the first place.
If it was DDOSed, then they're still in trouble, but a restart should be easy if the attack stops.

Ever notice how measures to prevent piracy tend to penalize people who purchase legal copies? I've often wondered why publisher work so hard to make piracy so attractive.

I wonder what Jeff Vogel thinks about this turn of events.

Mr.Tea:
Wow, this makes such a good argument for buying their game legitimately:

Legal Version: Connection required at all times to even play; Even with our unreliable servers that might go down occasionally. 59$

Pirated Version: Play anytime you want, connection or not. No risk of losing your saves. No monitoring program. 0$

I wonder if Ubisoft would fire me if I were their marketing guy and came out with this ad for their games?

Hahaha excellent post mate :D Truly hit the nail on the head! This is what I've been saying since the day I found out about their stupid DRM. You're only going to fuck paying customers in the ass. Pirates will be jolly happy and safe while people who gave you their fucking money suffers :S Punishing customers because of pirates is wrong. Give pirates hell, sure. But leave the customers alone...

I'm not nearly as angry at ubisoft as I am at the people who actually supported this shit and bought the game on pc. We can complain about publishers, stockholders and pirates until we are blue in the face, but the gamers who refuse to vote with their wallets (or even more frightening are the ones who think it's no big deal) who are truly to blame for the outrage that is DRM. don't pirate it, don't buy it, just Bite the bullet and play something else until the DRM is removed (and it likely would be).

Anyone who has any computer knowledge and a slight interest in video games is laughing so bad at Ubisoft.

Oh, except those poor souls that bought AC2 for PC. But I'm not sure they intersect with the above.

Ubi: "Hey guys, we've got this great DRM which will be awesome and require a constant internet connection. It'll also save games to our servers because we think this will solve piracy problems! Woo!"
Everyone else: "Yeah, that sounds stupid. We don't want that."
Ubi: "No, no, it'll be great! Trust us!"
Everyone else: "...Noooo, this will suck. It will suck LOTS."
Ubi: "Lah-lah-lah-lah, can't hear you! Cool DRM, weee-woo-doop-dee-dooo." *Is now noticeably on drugs*
Everyone else: "...Fine. Do it. I've got that game for Xbox 360/PS3 since three months anyway."
UBI SERVERS CRASH
Ubi: "Everything is working fiiiine, fah-lah-lah... uh-oh..."
Everyone else: "No, REALLY? You didn't see that one coming? Bra-vo."

I'm impressed that my pessimism over Ubi's system has paid off so fast. Well, impressed, horrified, but not surprised.

Fuck you, DRM. Devs, make your games worth buying and everything else will fit into place.

Would be a better idea to just connect to the ubisoft servers for 10~ seconds when you load up the game then disconnect from them to continue playing. This would help to ensure that the game isn't a fake.

Eh.

Maybe someone attacked the servers.

Wouldn't that be interesting.

Ranooth:
O well that's great to know, I've got AC2 coming tomorrow.

Another day of Battlefield me thinks.

Methinks not, I can't connect to bloody EA online. Everything is failing, run for the bunkers!

AAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA SUCKERS!
It's times like this that I love Murphy's Law.

Like a revival of Stomp in the middle of a minefield, this was a disaster that everyone but the idiots responsible for it could see coming.

There are the pirates, happily playing away, then there are the legit customers, who cant.
I wonder if anyone had the balls to post s link to a crack as a solution

Burst6:
Wow.. i wonder if they will just call this stupid DRM scheme a flop and move on to something that may actually do more than just annoy their customers.

I doubt it though.

Ubisoft would have to possess a basic level of sense to do that, so I also doubt it.

I thought people were going to boycott this, maybe their contempt would have had more gravitas had they done so.

Server went down today? Well it's online now anyway. As my brother plays it right now.

Yes he uses a real version.

Also you people overreact when the servers go down.

Ever thought too many tried to access it at once? :/

As it happens, I was thinking of grabbing my very own copy of AC2. It seems I have two options:

- Pay money for a crippled version of the game, that will demand resources, a consistent 'net connection, and likely fail whenever Ubisoft's janitor accidentally unplugs the servers

- Pay less (i.e. nothing) for a torrented version, likely never be caught, have a far better time playing without relying upon the DRM system being functional.

DECISIONS.

Bosola:
As it happens, I was thinking of grabbing my very own copy of AC2. It seems I have two options:

- Pay money for a crippled version of the game, that will demand resources, a consistent 'net connection, and likely fail whenever Ubisoft's janitor accidentally unplugs the servers

- Pay less (i.e. nothing) for a torrented version, likely never be caught, have a far better time playing without relying upon the DRM system being functional.

DECISIONS.

Pay for it, but get it for the PS3/XBOX 360 rather than the PC.

I imagine the pirates having too much fun playing their copy of AC2 to notice this disaster. Seriously Ubisoft, you guys just made pirates gain the higher ground. Your DRM has failed. Please remove it.

Mrsnugglesworth:
Eh.

Maybe someone attacked the servers.

Wouldn't that be interesting.

Sounds like a pretty good target for Anonymous to me. ;-)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here