Ubisoft DRM Authentication Servers Go Down

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Zefar:
Server went down today? Well it's online now anyway. As my brother plays it right now.

Yes he uses a real version.

Also you people overreact when the servers go down.

Ever thought too many tried to access it at once? :/

When servers going down involves not playing single-player, can you really blame them?

Well 4chan was planning this since a looooooong time. They probably just DDOSed the living shit out of their servers.

Zefar:

Ever thought too many tried to access it at once? :/

Exactly, that shouldn't happen in a single player game.

unacomn:
Yarrr, they be wishin' to plunder the seven seas now I bet ye.

Ar' they blind sided us on the port side Prepare to Fi-, wait they're already sinking.

OT Did anyone not see this comming i seriously SERIOUSLY!

AndyCobra:
and that's why piracy exists!

Sure. The people not willing to pay for shit part plays no role. Piracy didn't start because devs implanted DRM first.

Fail DRM is fail!

Dosnt surprise me...When something contriversial comes out...it always messes up!

So, with the servers down, I have no choice to pirate the game?

Ubisoft. Fuck off and die. You don't deserve any more elaboration than that, even you can see how fucking stupid that DRM was.

Amnestic:
It's just a little bit embarassing at this point.

Meanwhile, pirates (I assume) get to play their cracked version without issue. Nice job Ubisoft, really.

Yeah, just checked a torrent site, and it seems playable. Didn't download it though, as I have it for console already, so don't completely trust my word on it.

beddo:
I thought people were going to boycott this, maybe their contempt would have had more gravitas had they done so.

I am boycotting Ubisoft... well, a boycott generally works better when you have money to spend.

"Oh don't worry, our servers won't go down, you'll always be able to play..."
*time passes*

"Oh...."

vxicepickxv:

Give it a couple more years and console games will be pirated on a PC too.

Oh come on, keep up! :P

If this is just about shareholders (which I have no doubt that it is) then why don't they actually look into things before demanding stuff that is harmful towards the company?

Morons.

beddo:
I thought people were going to boycott this, maybe their contempt would have had more gravitas had they done so.

Honestly, I'm betting a lot of people didn't even know about the DRM when they bought it. I certainly had never heard of SecuROM when I bought my copy of Spore.

And this is why company servers suck. This is why dedicated servers are important to PC games. Something that only Valve can seem to comprehend.

Soviet Heavy:
And this is why company servers suck. This is why dedicated servers are important to PC games. Something that only Valve can seem to comprehend.

Yeah, maybe buy something from Valve. They're so good, we have to make stuff up about them (see L4D2).

Though I think what we need here is *no* servers. We shouldn't need this authentication/constant connection bullshit.

Phoenixlight:

Bosola:
As it happens, I was thinking of grabbing my very own copy of AC2. It seems I have two options:

- Pay money for a crippled version of the game, that will demand resources, a consistent 'net connection, and likely fail whenever Ubisoft's janitor accidentally unplugs the servers

- Pay less (i.e. nothing) for a torrented version, likely never be caught, have a far better time playing without relying upon the DRM system being functional.

DECISIONS.

Pay for it, but get it for the PS3/XBOX 360 rather than the PC.

Or pay for and crack the cheaper PC version.

Lukeje:
May I be the first to call `sabotage'? This all seems a little too convenient...

First thing I thought, though it really was bound to happen naturally at some point.
Gamers steal though, what can be done to fight that?

Sajuuk-khar:

AndyCobra:
and that's why piracy exists!

Sure. The people not willing to pay for shit part plays no role. Piracy didn't start because devs implanted DRM first.

People always want something for free. In the software world, it is a FACT OF LIFE that someone will find a way to use your product without paying. You can throw up every barrier you can think of and program and it wont stop some people. Piracy happens, and you can either say "Fuck it, they aren't our real customers" and just accept the fact or "ZOMG!!! WE MUST STOP THEM!1!1" and start implementing malicious bits of code that don't stop the problem and hurt your customers. Unfortunately, most of the gaming world has decided to go the latter route. Because that can't go wrong, amirite?

Can you honestly tell me that instituting practices that harm the people that buy your products is a good thing, and doesn't push more people to less reputable means of using your products?

Hopefully this is the beginning of the end of these absolutely ridiculous DRM's ... I won't buy any Ubisoft games that have this current system.

CopperBoom:

Lukeje:
May I be the first to call `sabotage'? This all seems a little too convenient...

First thing I thought, though it really was bound to happen naturally at some point.
Gamers steal though, what can be done to fight that?

Correction: people steal.

Hohohoho.
Because no one saw this one coming a mile away. Well it's good it's happen this early to show what a bloody stupid idea it is.

Ranooth:
O well that's great to know, I've got AC2 coming tomorrow.

Another day of Battlefield me thinks.

Yeah it would be if BF worked =D Stupid EA online and server fails =3

gee how unforeseeable...

Ubisoft ONLY allows pirates to play the game.
Now that going to help reduce piracy! ;)
Whenever there is a happy customer Captain ubisoft will get rid of it :D

All I am going to say is "Told you so".

7ru7h:
People always want something for free. In the software world, it is a FACT OF LIFE that someone will find a way to use your product without paying. You can throw up every barrier you can think of and program and it wont stop some people. Piracy happens, and you can either say "Fuck it, they aren't our real customers" and just accept the fact or "ZOMG!!! WE MUST STOP THEM!1!1" and start implementing malicious bits of code that don't stop the problem and hurt your customers. Unfortunately, most of the gaming world has decided to go the latter route. Because that can't go wrong, amirite?

Can you honestly tell me that instituting practices that harm the people that buy your products is a good thing, and doesn't push more people to less reputable means of using your products?

Hey I wasn't judging. It's just that the argument that this is why piracy exists is based on nothing. Sure some people pirate because of this stuff, but piracy didn't start existing because of DRM.

Although if you want me to judge: piracy is theft. I'm not one of those PC gaming is dead guys, but it used to be that we got a whole lot more specifically for PC designed games instead of mostly ports. The "ZOMG!!! WE MUST STOP THEM!1!1" part is completely understandable, however ofcourse a piece of DRM that's harsh, annoying, unreliable and doesn't even work is completely pointless and only serves to annoy paying customers.

Lukeje:

If it isn't I hope they start sabotaging. Maybe it'll make them get rid of the stupid DRM.

Thats why I very rarely buy new games anymore. Stupid companies try to prevent the unstoppable wave of piracy by bringing in bullshit DRM and just end up destroying the PC market even more.

To Ubisoft and any other companies with this kinda shit. You have already pretty much killed the second hand PC market with your DRM! If your going to put this in your game, don't bother making it!

Also to valve, make activation through steam optional.

Hopefully this incident will make Ubisoft reconsider their incredibly silly system and start respecting our rights as paying customers. Then again maybe my dick will sprout wings and I go flying around the world setting people ablaze with my laser vision!!!

Hubilub:
First the PS3, now the PC.

Now we just have to wait for every 360 in the world to stop working and the circle is complete!

...oh wait.

I'd be annoyed; but that was hilarious.

OT: And thus begins another 5 million downloads of the game.

You know, its just a matter of time before an IRL troll manages to intitute a Denial of Service attack on those Ubisoft servers. If that happened I would actually go make myself some popcorn and just sit back and watch the backlash shitstorm of pissed off customers.

Seriously, this actually kind of sounds like a Denial of Service attack. I'm sure there are more than enough script kiddies out there to pull off something like that purely for the lulz. I'm sure a few of them are even gamers that want Ubisoft to suffer for this.

Devil's advocate:
Valve had a similar problem with their Steam service (which I hate beyond all human comprehension) and it's still extremely popular. Bioshock, I forget exactly what happened with it, but there was something going on that made the game unplayable for paying customers. Had to do with unlocking it or something.

XBLA, Steam, Ubisoft's authentication is nothing new. Yes, I realize that the former two are supposed to be more about digital distribution and not DRM, but I defer to that Bioshock incident as an example of how Ubisoft and Steam are not all that dissimilar in certain functions.

Frankly, I hate them all in ways I cannot possibly articulate, but if that's what people want, then who am I to argue?

dochmbi:

Amnestic:
It's just a little bit embarassing at this point.

Meanwhile, pirates (I assume) get to play their cracked version without issue. Nice job Ubisoft, really.

Not so. AC 2 hasn't been cracked yet, don't know how long it will take.

Hmm I beg to differ I can see cracks out from all the major houses all with replies saying that they work. (Ironically many of the thanking replies are from people who've bought the game and cannot play it without the crack).
Edit Razor haven't released their's yet

There has to be some other point to DRM, some Machiavellian spyware or something. Surely there must be some other reason Ubisoft code for a living they can't be this retarded.

Hey, Ubisoft?

I have this bucket of dicks here...

Sajuuk-khar:

7ru7h:

Hey I wasn't judging. It's just that the argument that this is why piracy exists is based on nothing. Sure some people pirate because of this stuff, but piracy didn't start existing because of DRM.

That may not have been the way it started, but it sure as hell increases the problem and brings it into the common knowledge. I mean think about it. When they first started doing this shit, they said that they had to stop those people who were playing without paying, and if you got inconvenienced, you were much more likely to look into it, and probably spread the idea.

Although if you want me to judge: piracy is theft. I'm not one of those PC gaming is dead guys, but it used to be that we got a whole lot more specifically for PC designed games instead of mostly ports. The "ZOMG!!! WE MUST STOP THEM!1!1" part is completely understandable, however ofcourse a piece of DRM that's harsh, annoying, unreliable and doesn't even work is completely pointless and only serves to annoy paying customers.

It is completely understandable? Not at all. How is it understandable for a company to willingly nerf their product to the point that it is basically unusable for paying customers, yet the people who steal it are in the clear?

"Sure, buy our product, but it may not work sometimes if stuff happens. But don't listen to those people who 'stole' it and say they can use it just fine. They are just liars and we know it doesn't work."

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 40657)