Ubisoft Blames DRM Outage on "Server Attack"

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Ubisoft Blames DRM Outage on "Server Attack"

Ubisoft claims an "attack" on its servers resulted in the failure Assassin's Creed 2 and Silent Hunter 5 DRM over the weekend, but says that only a very small percentage of its users were actually affected by the outage.

Ubisoft's servers failed around 8 am GMT yesterday and were reportedly down for more than ten hours, during which time owners of Silent Hunter 5 and Assassin's Creed 2, released in Europe last week, were unable to access their games. Naturally, owners of the games were not happy about this turn of events, in no small part because it's exactly the sort of nonsense that was predicted would happen when Ubi first revealed its "always online" DRM plans.

Confusion reined during the crash, even among the company's own representatives, but Ubisoft is now claiming that its servers were actually attacked over the weekend, leading to the trouble. "Ubisoft would like to apologize to anyone who could not play AC2 or SH5 yesterday," the company said in a statement.

"Servers were attacked and while the servers did not go down, service was limited from 2:30 pm to 9:00 pm Paris time [1:30 pm - 8:00 pm GMT]," the statement continued. "95 per cent of players were not affected, but a small group of players attempting to open a game session did receive denial of service errors. All players with an open session during the attack were not affected."

The company also maintained that despite reports to the contrary, its hot new DRM system hasn't yet been cracked, adding, "We also confirm that, at this time, no valid cracked version of either Silent Hunter 5 or Assassin's Creed 2 are available."

The DRM servers are reportedly back on but Ubisoft is still apparently suffering from problems of some sort: As of 10 am EST on Monday, the Ubi forums, including this official "DRM problems" thread, are only available on a very intermittent basis.

Assassin's Creed 2 comes out in North America tomorrow.

Source: Eurogamer

Well, it is very possible that it was a Denial Of Service attack, I'll give them that.

Still doesn't change the fact that it's a stupid system, and if they had just gone for a simple online authentication, this wouldn't have happened. Or screw that, how about just no DRM?

However, that stuff about the Silent Hunter 5 crack not working is bullshit. AC2 isn't properly working yet, but from what I hear, SH5 is working perfectly for everyone.

Is it even possible to return your copy of PC Assasin's Creed 2? I figure a lot of people probably want to at this point.

If people are pissed off enough to attack your system, your doing it wrong.

I'm willing to buy the story of a DOS attack, but that doesn't let Ubisoft off the hook. Even if you think that customers need to be monitored 24/7 to prevent them from suddenly pirating a game they already bought (which is 'pants-on-head' retarded), it makes no sense to implement a measure that requires your servers being reachable at any time if you can't even guarantee that your servers won't go down the first one some kiddies decide to unleash a simple DOS script on them...

The whole attack would never have been a problem if they didn't have such draconian DRM measures in the first place, and it's more than likely that the attack wouldn't even have happened in that case.

Interesting how they blame pirates when a system to keep out pirates malfunctions.

"If we didn't have all these rats here then our rat poison would have worked perfectly" Is not a valid press release when a human died of said rat poison.

Blaming it on an attack doesn't make your customers any more understanding if they can't play a game they just bought.

Not to mention:

Irridium:

This.

Here's hoping they can't get it fixed. Serves them right.

Irridium:

Doing it very, very wrong!

But, of course all Ubi are thinking off at this point is !

It seems like every possible thing that could go wrong with this, is currently happening.

Good job at devouring your own words, Ubisoft.

Way to not take a hint.
If a DOS attack can cripple the ability of thousands of players to play their single player game, your product is shit.

Wow. "The... uh, servers didn't go down! IT WAS AN ATTACK!! Only a small portion of our players were affected anyway! Honest!"

Its not even a case of it

Irridium:
piss[ing people] off enough to attack your system

its a case where the internet is filled, FILLED with kids with their hands on the throttle of botnets. They're opening their customers to massive grief because they think DRM will somehow stop piracy, when all its really going to do is make pirates smarter.

And yes, they're right about silent hunter 5 and asscreed 2 not being cracked. Apparently the games require "triggers" from the ubisoft servers to even function past certain points. Silent hunter 5 only has a couple, but asscreed 2 requires them for nearly every mission. Meaning the system is EVEN WORSE than anyone thought.

Morons. That's pretty much all I wanted to say really. Who knows, maybe they're just really elaborate trolls, but I doubt it.

Yeah, I'm willing to believe they were attacked by hackers, but it still is plainly evident that if they hadn't chosen this form of DRM, they'd not have pretty much turned the internet against them.

*looks up at Blackstar* hey there Mister tee-ah-timmeh!

My question is, if it had only checked in with the main servers once per gaming session, at the main menu, instead of in game, would that have been less secure? It could still check every time it was played, and force feed your PC updates to defend against cracks etc, but it wouldn't have interfered with legitimate play from genuine customers.

That's on PC btw fellas. Anyone sat right now with a console version going "How on earth.... did I travel through time?". No, you did not, you are just an idiot.

OT: No cracked versions? They missed out the "yet". Poor poor ubisoft, you think your so smart. Nah ah ah

CD-R:
Is it even possible to return your copy of PC Assasin's Creed 2?

Nope, because of piracy.

OT:

1) Its plausible, but I don't believe their excuse. They're hardly going to admit its already gone wrong through any fault of their own, are they?

2) It doesn't matter what they count as 'small', its not good enough.

Petition: http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?ew15dl94

What I'm wondering is how accurate that "95% of users had no problems" statistic is. I read a lot of posts on this board and on the Ubisoft forums and not one said, "My copy is working just fine."

To be honest, I call bullshit about them being attacked. I also call bull that only 5% were affected.

dryg:
Bullshit, I'm playing cracked AC2 right now

Funny how, because I checked...

I mean, PM please? ;d

Also, called it first, before the news.

Zepren:
That's on PC btw fellas. Anyone sat right now with a console version going "How on earth.... did I travel through time?". No, you did not, you are just an idiot.

OT: No cracked versions? They missed out the "yet". Poor poor ubisoft, you think your so smart. Nah ah ah

Don't worry, the game is released in America tomorrow. Only Europe has it now (and Australia, but I'm not sure, too busy to check).

sirdanrhodes:
To be honest, I call bullshit about them being attacked. I also call bull that only 5% were affected.

Maybe the other 95% included console players and people who weren't actively playing? I could easily see them going, "Well, XX million people bought the game, but we only have a couple hundred thousand callers complaining about not being able to play..."

I honestly hope that this continues, not because I hate the game or the company, but to prove the point that this kind of DRM is unbelievably stupid and no publisher should follow suit in that way.

"95 per cent of players were not affected, but a small group of players, specifically those who attempting to play AC2 or SH5, attempting to open a game session did receive denial of service errors. All players attempting to use any other Ubisoft title during the attack were not affected."

There we go, fixed it for him.

Still not buying a Ubi game ever again mate, when your own players are launching DDoS attacks...

Proteus214:
I honestly hope that this continues, not because I hate the game or the company, but to prove the point that this kind of DRM is unbelievably stupid and no publisher should follow suit in that way.

I'm starting to think that, just like there will always be pirates, there will always be DRM. Makes sense if you ask me. Thus far, the publishers' consensus seems to be "Pirating still persists? Then we haven't thrown enough money at the problem is all."

Andy Chalk:
"We also confirm that, at this time, no valid cracked version of either Silent Hunter 5 or Assassin's Creed 2 are available."

Give them some more time Ubisoft. You spent more than a year making this DRM, just give them a few weeks. :P

Oh, I'd fully believe they were attacked, just as I would believe the latest reports about the forums being intermittent are also an attack.

The guys set up a singular point of failure on a popular game accessible over the internet. That's a DDoS attack just waiting to happen. I have to assume they'd have known this and invested in some significant hardware to prevent that kind of thing, but a big enough botnet can blow away practically any solution through sheer volume.

hansari:

Andy Chalk:
"We also confirm that, at this time, no valid cracked version of either Silent Hunter 5 or Assassin's Creed 2 are available."

Give them some more time Ubisoft. You spent more than a year making this DRM, just give them a few weeks. :P

Seriously. It occurs to me that there is something insanely wrong with the way they go about actually making DRM if it takes them longer to design it than it does for pirates to crack it. I mean, most times, it's easier to destroy than to build, but if you consider that pirates have to take the time to figure out how the DRM works, then write code accordingly and all that... It's not like they're just setting up a stick of dynamite next to a wall or something. They have to invent a new tool that can deconstruct/bypass that wall without damaging the rest of the building. At least that's my understanding of it. I know nothing of computer programming...

It seems like Ubi declared war on its consumers, and this is a salvo in response. I havn't looked in the past couple of days, but a crack for sh5 and AC2 should be comming out pretty soon.

I am waiting for the next shoe to drop. Never thought I'd be cheering for a bot net attack.

More outright lies from Electronic Arts, I'm not shocked in the slightest. 95% 90% .... how is it everything is always over 90% ... never 82%, god forbid 74% .. it MUST BE 95% so we can feel important! Nevermind that is has absolutely no basis in reality.

Solution: do not be an idiot and support a company that uses this DRM shit.

Good. I hope it happens again, and again, and again, until Ubisoft realise that the only people they are affecting are the people who actually buy it.

So pathetic it's not even funny anymore. All people who know of this DRM, yet are still willing to buy the game, are phenomenal idiots.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here