Child Must Have Thought a Gun Was a Wii Remote, Mother Says

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 16 NEXT

Child Must Have Thought a Gun Was a Wii Remote, Mother Says

A young girl was fatally shot after mistaking her step-father's gun for a Wii Controller, her mother said.

So, imagine you're home and you hear an intruder. Like any good homeowner, you grab your gun to deal with them. Then, realizing it wasn't anything that required the sweet kiss of hot lead, you put the loaded gun down on the end-table, safety off, and forget about it. Totally reasonable, right? Who would expect that when your three-year-old step-daughter is playing the next day, she would find it and shoot herself?

That's exactly what happened in an unidentified household in Tennessee, according to Wilson County Sheriff Terry Ashe. According to her mother, the girl may have thought the gun the girl's step-father left on the table was a Wii controller. It's worth noting that the mother was actually in the room when the incident occurred, yet apparently failed to notice - or perhaps care - that her child was playing with the weapon.

Just remember, when you leave a gun unsecured and out on the table, and it ends in the death of your child, surely videogames are to blame.

Source: Fox News via Destructoid

Gun

Wii Remote in Zapper

I think that she saw something interesting, had no clue what a gun was, and started playing with it. But not as a Wiimote.

Also, before we get to the usual, and often deserved, Fox News bashing. Click the Fox News link. Fox News ITSELF isn't claiming this. Just the stupid mother.

PPS, to the mother:

...That's a fucking god awful excuse right there. And the worst part is that people will listen to it and start grabbing their picket signs again.

AHEM.

Guns don't kill people.

Videogames kill people.........with guns!

Ahahahahaha.

Oh, Fox News, you never cease to amuse me....

I once tried to stab someone with a knife.

Turned out it was a wiimote. Damn did I have egg on my face that day.

Step-dad came home one night and shot the kid.. blamed it on video games. Case closed..

Or, the unlikey thing above happened, weird stuff like that hapens often.

Woodsey:

AHEM.

I lol'd

An unfortunate accident....OR WAS IT?!

Woodsey:

AHEM.

Read the link. Fox ITSELF isn't making these outrageous claims. Just the dumbass mother.

Despite being tragic, this gave me a good little chuckle. But in a depressing sort of way.
Both the parents are obviously a pair of right old hairy numpties. The mother more so.
Bleh, humanity sucks sometimes.

She was 3 years old, why the fuck would you let a 3 year old play with a gun? "Oh don't worry, she thinks its a WiiMote" - she was in the room when this happened, and seems to think it was somehow the fault of Nintendo for making something vaguely gun shaped?

Onyx Oblivion:

Woodsey:

AHEM.

Read the link. Fox ITSELF isn't making these outrageous claims. Just the dumbass mother.

Yeah but it's Fox News. They'll ride this into the ground past the point of anyone caring. Which is hilarious since they were all a big part of that "let's use videogames to brainwash recruit more young people"

Fox News, here we go.

No doubt in other, more reputable news sources, two parents arrested for criminal negligence and a string of firearms related offences after three year old daughter shoots herself with father's loaded, unsecured gun.

Here's a question... If she thought it was a wii-mote why would she be pointing it at herself and not the TV?

It's because that three year old girl played too many violent games! It has to be! There's no other explanation for it!

How does a parent "failed to notice - or perhaps care - that her child was playing with the weapon"?

They left a gun...

On the table...

Loaded...

With a 3-year-old in the house...

How stupid could they possibly be?!

Surley she couldn't not feel the weight and texture of it. The cold steel against the palm of her hands instead of a plastic coated device...

Onyx Oblivion:

Woodsey:

AHEM.

I was just pondering how interesting is that Fox is the one that runs with the story. I was also pondering how much truth is in the quote (as in how much of it was actually said/believed by the person who said it).

Seriously she was 3! Who leaves a gun in reach of a three year old!

AceDiamond:

Onyx Oblivion:

Woodsey:

AHEM.

Yeah but it's Fox News. They'll ride this into the ground past the point of anyone caring. Which is hilarious since they were all a big part of that "let's use videogames to brainwash recruit more young people"

Yeah lets protest the idea that videogames encourage violence with violence!

ethaninja:
Surley she couldn't not feel the weight and texture of it. The cold steel against the palm of her hands instead of a plastic coated device...

She was 3.

Three year olds are idiots.

Hence the shooting of oneself.

Jiraiya72:
First off, Fox news. Secondly, I'd say the girl got what she deserved. I'm a fan of Darwin.

How does a 3 year old girl deserve that?

Oh no, quick call fox news, bar the windows, throw your wiis out the window!
But who would let there kid unsupervised with a gun in a room with the safety off, that's like letting you kid play with a gun at a gun convention with a 13 yuear old demenstartor looking after them, oh wait...

Three words:

Bull
Fucking
Shit

Xanadeas:
Here's a question... If she thought it was a wii-mote why would she be pointing it at herself and not the TV?

Well, guns are pretty heavy (in relation to a plastic Wiimote, anyway), so maybe she just dropped it and it went off. Or maybe she just picked it up wrong and her finger hit the trigger.

Or, most likely, the evils of gun-shaped video game peripherals corrupted her fragile mind in a way that made her so twisted, her first instinct upon seeing a real gun was to shoot the closest person around: herself! Damn you Nintendo, why must you take the children!?

Grand Theft Auto doesn't kill people.

Wii kills people.

Somewhere, in his cave, Jack Thompson's worldview has some crashing down around him. And Michael Atkinson cries out to the heavens "WHYYYYYYYYYY DID IT HAVE TO POINT OUT A HOLE IN MY ARGUMENT!"

We don't even know if they own a wii.

anthony87:

ethaninja:

She was 3.

He was obviously being facetious. Nobody is blaming the three year old. The parents are obviously to blame, and should be shot to death with Wiimotes.

anthony87:

ethaninja:

She was 3.

This is an excellent point. 3 year olds are fucking idiots that's why they have FUCKING parents watching them when they are holding a FUCKING gun!

anthony87:

Jiraiya72:
First off, Fox news. Secondly, I'd say the girl got what she deserved. I'm a fan of Darwin.

How does a 3 year old girl deserve that?

Indeedie. And Darwin was a noted humantarian, not some sadistic arsehole. So no, the three year old girl didn't 'get want she deserved', she got a shitty mother.

Douk:
We don't even know if they own a wii.

According to sales number...everyone in the world owns a Wii.

Words cannot even explain... Thoughts of natural selection float through my mind, but no 3 year-old deserves laughter or malice from me or anyone on here. I'd sentence the mother to shoot herself in the brain; maybe it would function better with a bullet in it. Disgusting.

Yeah, because some dumbass leaving a loaded pistol on a table within the reach of a 3 year old, and with the safety off, is really because of a Wii.

Mother of god. Guns and videogames have joined forces to kill us off once and for all. The rabble rousers may just be our only hope.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 16 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here