Sega Pledges to Not Make More Crappy Games From Classic IPs

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Sega Pledges to Not Make More Crappy Games From Classic IPs

In an attempt to increase its popularity with PS3 and 360 owners, Sega needs to commit to ensuring that its classic IP doesn't turn into any more sub-par modern games, says the company's Western boss Mike Hayes.

When it comes to fond memories of old-school gaming, Sega's classic series like Golden Axe and Sonic the Hedgehog are right up there in the minds of many gamers. It's no secret that their recent incarnations may not have been quite up to snuff, though, and that's something that Sega's Mike Hayes - boss of Sega's efforts in Europe and North America - isn't cool with.

Speaking with CVG, Hayes said that it was important for the company not to allow its classic IPs to suffer in sub-par games:

It's important that on our old IP that is respected, we need to deliver a good product. And in some instances we have done that - look back at when we re-did Sega Rally. It scored well and was moderately successful commercially. But then with other great franchises like Golden Axe we didn't produce a great game at all.

Going forward, if we're going to look at any existing IP to bring out the locker, we have to make sure we get the quality to a level we now expect. I'm not saying which IP it would be - a Streets Of Rage, a Crazy Taxi, whatever. What we have to do now is build something that is 85 per cent plus [rated]. We can't just get away with PR.

This is especially true as the company tries to endear itself to PS3 and 360 owners after an attempt to court "hardcore" Wii buyers that wasn't all that successful. Hayes pointed to the company's early success in 2010 with Aliens vs. Predator and Bayonetta as indication that Sega was making headroads into the install base of the two "HD" consoles.

I don't know about any of that, but I do know that at some point in the above quote, Mr. Hayes said the phrases "Streets of Rage" and "bring out of the locker," which I'm now going to arbitrarily put together and hold as gospel truth: Hey guys, did you hear?! They're bringing back Streets of Rage!

Dude, Streets of Rage?

Awesome!

They were making good 3d games, the running portions were the best part, they did the 3d running thing right it's all the other crap they tack on that makes 3d sonic games crap...

I want to see them make a good Alex Kidd game again!

It's good that they don't want to make bad games anymore, so let's see them make some good ones now!

I miss Kid Chameleon.

Hey, they should bring that back. And it would not be crappy.

Yes, well, given the consistent promises and subsequent letdowns of recent Sonic games, I'll believe it when I see it, Mr. Hayes. Streets of Rage should definitely be brought back, though. :)

JaredXE:
Dude, Streets of Rage?

Awesome!

My thoughts exactly....ooohhh I can't even see how they could cock that up.
Wait I can :(

I'm a little confused by this: SEGA really hasn't been disrespecting old IPs, infact, their more guilty of OVER-respecting them, if anything.
Is there some SEGA fuck-up that I'm unaware of?

This sounds more like an issue that should be taken up with RARE or Ubisoft...

Forgive me if I remain skeptical (read "Forgive me if I scoff in disgust") at your comment, Sega.

*cough cough* House of the Dead HD *cough cough*

Tiny116:

JaredXE:
Dude, Streets of Rage?

Awesome!

Same here ;_: Although I would really hope they wouldnt! It would be so great to play the classic again =D

Jaredin:

Tiny116:

JaredXE:
Dude, Streets of Rage?

Awesome!

Same here ;_: Although I would really hope they wouldnt! It would be so great to play the classic again =D

Sega megadrive ultimate collection mate, Sega megadrive ultimate collection, 30+ original sega games = a vat of awesome

I'm sorry Mr. Sega person, but there are a good many old games that need some attempt at modernizing. Even if only one in ten become a good game, that's still one good game we can play. Now, just as a suggestion, lets try;

-Road Rash (RR 1-3 style, the later one simply titled "Road Rash" again SUCKED. I want cool bikes, weapons, and to be able to beat the cop with his own billy-club!)
-Streets of Rage
-Kid Chameleon
-Afterburner
-Battletoads
-Double Dragon
-Earthworm Jim
-Robocop vs Terminator
-Pirates of Dark Water
-Aladdin (sucky movie, awesome game)
-Rise of the Robots
-X-Men
and of course...
-Zero Wing

Khell_Sennet:
Now, just as a suggestion, lets try;

-Battletoads
-Zero Wing

Sir, I agree with your choices.

Can you imagine what 4chan will do with Gamestop if Battletoads actually came out?

Ah, so the secret to success in the video game industry is to make games that don't suck. I never would have guessed that.

Oh good. I saw the thread title and misinterpreted that as Sega abandoning their old IPs completely. So they're just saying "we'll use our old IPs, we just need to make them not suck."

...I guess I can get behind that? I mean, Captain Obvious moment, but...

So, are they starting this movement with the cancellation of Sonic 4? Because, if not, their pledge is bullshit.

. . .and I pledge to shit rainbows and ride a unicorn to the moon. See how easy that is!

Make a sonic game in 2.5D, that is like the original sonic games... Your getting the message slowly. We don't want alot of crappy characters, check. 2D, Check. A good game to base it off as long as it is 2D, meh.

Calumon: Hey! Press X to Play! ^^

Meaningless words Sega. Prove it!!! I bought Golden Axe Beast Rider. I paid full price for it. A mistake I will not make twice.

JaredXE:
Dude, Crazy Taxi?

Awesome!

Also, admitting that your games suck is the first step to recovery. I salute your, Sega.

So does that mean their games were crappy on purpose?

I would settle for them not sandbagging their few good Japanese games that they send to the US.
What they did to Yakuza 3 is more unforgivable than what they did to Sonic. That was actually a good game to begin with; while you can pretty much assume that any new sonic game will be crap.

Khell_Sennet:
I'm sorry Mr. Sega person, but there are a good many old games that need some attempt at modernizing. Even if only one in ten become a good game, that's still one good game we can play. Now, just as a suggestion, lets try;

-Road Rash (RR 1-3 style, the later one simply titled "Road Rash" again SUCKED. I want cool bikes, weapons, and to be able to beat the cop with his own billy-club!)

I assume you've seen this? *sigh* If only it were a real game.

Anyway, not really surprising they'd say this, I mean what else would they say, "We're planning on milking these franchises with as many games as quickly as possible!"?

OpiateChicken:

Khell_Sennet:
Now, just as a suggestion, lets try;

-Battletoads
-Zero Wing

Sir, I agree with your choices.

Can you imagine what 4chan will do with Gamestop if Battletoads actually came out?

be made of glorious win and justice?

also, here's hoping! :D

SirCannonFodder:

Khell_Sennet:

Hummumabah...
Huh, muhubamamah.

*Brain Reset*

WHAT THE FUCK DID I JUST SEE, AND WHEN CAN I PLAY IT?!

JaredXE:
Dude, Streets of Rage?

Awesome!

That's exactly what I thought. Hehe A totally new SoR would be great, though I don't know what form I'd prefer it take. A totally new SoR with an expanded storyline and gameworld could be very cool, but so would a PSN/Live downloadable title that strips it down to what worked so well in SoR1&2 (just with HD sprites and animation). Either way, however, Yuzo Koshiro would NEED to do the music.

thats good now bring phantasy star portable 2 to NA.

Um... SEGA? I want some more Earthworm Jim. I need a fill of R-Type. Let's see some Phantasy Star. I don't want you to stop making games from Classic IPs.

Khell_Sennet:

SirCannonFodder:

Khell_Sennet:

Hummumabah...
Huh, muhubamamah.

*Brain Reset*

WHAT THE FUCK DID I JUST SEE, AND WHEN CAN I PLAY IT?!

Unfortunately, unless EA sees it and decides to go with the idea, never, *sob*

STREETS OF F*$KING RAGE 4! I have been demanding this for over a decade! SoR2 is my favorite game - period. I bought it when it was first released and still crack it out on occasions.

As long as they make it as crazy as the original Streets of Rage, complete with bazooka police trucks.

HA! Good luck sega

Wait, Streets of Rage... FUCKING AWESOME! Finally the love is back.

Okay... here's the impression I'm getting from this story:

SEGA: Hi, my name is SEGA, and I'm a remake-aholic.

JUST ABOUT EVERY OTHER VIDEO GAME PUBLISHER: Hi, Sega.

Yes, the first step is admitting you have a problem.

I'm going to throw this out there, more Valkyria Chronicles games.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here