Battlefield PSA Mocks Modern Warfare 2 "F.A.G.S." Gaffe

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Battlefield PSA Mocks Modern Warfare 2 "F.A.G.S." Gaffe

A new parody Public Service Announcement promoting Battlefield: Bad Company 2 takes a serious dig at the serious marketing blunder Modern Warfare 2 pulled with its "Fight Against Grenade Spam."

I know it's hard to think back to a long-forgotten age before Modern Warfare 2 was the bestest-selling anything ever, but the game had its share of controversies before it even came out. There was the dedicated servers fiasco for one, and the "No Russian" outrage for another. And then there was "Fight Against Grenade Spam", a tongue-in-cheek Infinity Ward PSA starring Phillies pitcher Cole Hamels that warned against the evils of just randomly chucking grenades hoping to get a kill.

Unfortunately, using a rather offensive slur as an acronym in your marketing tends to not present your product in a very attractive light (even to a community who seems to use it every as every fifth word). Activision apologized publicly and took down the video from the official channels, but the damage was done.

Now, a video Battlefield: Bad Company 2 posted to the Battlefield blog lampoons the competition's marketing gaffe with a PSA starring Yankees pitcher CC Sabathia that warns against the evils of just randomly chucking grenades hoping to get a kill.

The BBC2 video promotes the group "Friends Really Against Grenade Spam," a name that gets the general point across while forming an acronym that manages to be relevant to the topic at hand and doesn't offend everybody with two brain cells' worth of decency.

It isn't the first potshot DICE and BBC2 have taken against IW and MW2, and it probably won't be the last, but it's worth a chuckle nonetheless.

(Via MTV Multiplayer)

I love how you tagged it as "Oh Snap". Anyways I'm surprised that Activision didn't go for the frags acronym to begin with, seems much better.

People compared BFBC1 to COD4. Now... this shit just got real.

Calumon: Boom! Hahahaha! That was fun!

Haha, this, along with Sweetwater's "Fuck those special ops douchebags, they'll just come in here with their pussy heartbeat scanners" is sending every Modern Warfare 2 fanboy I know into a rage.

When Bad Company 2 came out, I was thinking "Man, where are the funny promo-videos the first Bad Company had?"

Well, my question has been answered. Laughed pretty good at that one.

Developers should make more of this. It's great.

Catkid906:

Mate, you need to put down that animal of yours. He's getting out of hand.

Love CC.

Um well yea that sucks. Clever just not PC enough for todays world.

Any game that shares it initials with a popular TV channel should avoid throwing bad acronyms back at those who chucked them.

Silly little BFBC people! They remind me of my 4 year old cousin when he wants to wrestle. So precocious and confident, of course I'm approximately 6 times his size and 3 times his weight, but its still fun to let him think he can win

Great commercial, I luld lots

LunaticFringe:
Haha, this, along with Sweetwater's "Fuck those special ops douchebags, they'll just come in here with their pussy heartbeat scanners" is sending every Modern Warfare 2 fanboy I know into a rage.

and, "Snowmobiles?! Snowmobiles are for pussies!" LOL

You see, why did we not get these funny trailers BEFORE the game was out like last time?

I hadn't heard of the MW2 PSA before now, and I have to admit, both are pretty funny. But I like the BC2 one better.

"Aww shit..... OH WHERE DID YOU GET THA*"

Lemon Of Life:

Catkid906:

Are you suggesting that I should take my Calumon to the Back room!?

Calumon: WAGGGHHHH!!!! Mean person! Mean person T.T

Hubilub:
When Bad Company 2 came out, I was thinking "Man, where are the funny promo-videos the first Bad Company had?"

Well, my question has been answered. Laughed pretty good at that one.

I know right, thank you EA/DICE for bringing back the funny

Just for future reference, using the acronym BBC2 might confuse some british people with the television channel. Now I just realised the irony in pointing out an unfortunate acronym...

Another reason I don't like DICE their games aren't that good and they take cheap shots, but what can you except when they are going up against MW2, doomed to fail, miserablily.

HAHA! Nice.

This is why Bad Company 2 should have been a lighthearted adventure.

sirdanrhodes:
You see, why did we not get these funny trailers BEFORE the game was out like last time?

Because then, the servers would ASPLODE due to stress.

Ha! This is a win for sure. I'll probably pick up BBC2 soon as my studies are over for the term.

Catkid906:

Lemon Of Life:

Catkid906:

Are you suggesting that I should take my Calumon to the Back room!?

Calumon: WAGGGHHHH!!!! Mean person! Mean person T.T

Time to get the rat stuffed and mounted...

Heh. Gotta love the friendly little rivalry these two have going.

I loved the ingsme refernces too!

ryai458:
Another reason I don't like DICE their games aren't that good and they take cheap shots, but what can you except when they are going up against MW2, doomed to fail, miserablily.

I...disagree.

to be honest, both were lame .
but FRAGS was the lamer one of the two.

I miss the old Ads from Bad Company. I am also rather sad that there isnt as much just stupid humor in BC2. Anyway this ad is hilarious and I am going to watch snake eyes.

I am a huge Call of Duty fan...and these promo vids are hilarious! :D

ryai458:

I agree entirely. The funniest thing is that they can mock MW2 for all kinds of things but the facts are, their severs work about as well as MW2's, they copied most of the weapons from MW2 (granted there aren't that many weapons out there altogether), kept noob tubes. Infact they copied almost everything aside from having larger maps and proper physics... And yet, not as well...

Go DICE!
A shame they listened to critics and made Bad Company 2 more serious. BC 1 was hilarious with it's crude humour.

This is so funny, up with the Heartbeat Monitors and Snowmobile line in the campaign of Bad Co.2. I love that game so much and I think it's hilarious when companies make pot shots at other games.

ryai458:
Another reason I don't like DICE their games aren't that good and they take cheap shots, but what can you except when they are going up against MW2, doomed to fail, miserably.

you're implying sales and bought reviews are an indicator of quality?
cute.
they made a much better game, and a far smaller percentile of their fans are ignorant fanboys.
Yeah, i'm a battlefield fan, and I was a big COD fan until those leadup events to mw2. hell, i have hope that treyarch won't be as awful as IW and make a buyable game this year.
still, little late DICE, this would have been time to do something about maps and their prices..

Saw this awhile ago when someone else posted.

Still makes me lol though

I liked the couple of digs at mw2 in battlefield. In fairness the heart beat monitor levels were the worst.

I prefered the one player game of battlefield to modern warfare although both were pretty short. But battlefield has always been about online multiplayer and althougn I aint played online yet, MW2 was that poor on the PC online I'm sure it will pwn.

Must admit to being a huge BF2 fan ever since 1942 especially for online play. Nothing beats running around with 32 other players each side with tanks, planes, jeeps and choppers everywhere all driven by other players.

Irridium:
HAHA! Nice.

This is why Bad Company 2 should have been a lighthearted adventure.

I was very disappointed at the BFBC 2 story because of that. Everything I loved (well most everything) about the characters was bled out until they weren't funny at all.

OT: Oh I love these commercials. DICE is made of win; period.

Hotshots:

ryai458:

I...disagree.

I also disagree, but I do dislike when companies make low-blows about their rivals. *cough*Mac vs. PC*cough*

GooBeyond:
to be honest, both were lame .
but FRAGS was the lamer one of the two.

Ummm, I saw the FAGS version, I have too say, this on takes the kibble, seriously, the part with the Apache? priceless!

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here