Rumor: Xbox 360 Slim in Production

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Rumor: Xbox 360 Slim in Production

Leaked images may prove that Microsoft is planning to slim up the Xbox 360 sometime this year.

Over the years, console makers such as Nintendo and Sony have redesigned the first versions of their machines to reduce cost of production. Through Chinese forum A9VG, two images of a rumored "slim" Xbox 360 have surfaced, fueling talk that Microsoft may do the same and announce a redesign sometime in 2010.

One of the images gives a full view of a supposed more compact Xbox 360 motherboard while the other focuses on the new combination of the CPU and the GPU into one chip. The changes made, if these images are not fakes, would most likely be something more than the incremental redesigns Microsoft has been regularly doing to cope with the issues that caused the RROD fiasco.

Over on Joystiq, system modder/artist Ben Heck speculates that the new motherboard could include some kind of functionality for an internal hard drive, and notes the lack of a slot for memory units, which goes along with the recent announcement of Xbox 360 USB storage support. Microsoft may be moving away from memory units completely with the Xbox 360 slim (again, if it's even real).

There are even more rumors that Microsoft will announce a price cut on the Xbox 360 this year, and a new slim model could allow the company to do that more easily. Everything makes sense about this, especially with the release of Microsoft's Project Natal coming up, as it could bundle the two together and market the 360 to a new audience. You know, the audience that's used to flailing their arms around wildly while playing games on the Wii, a console the size of a TV dinner.

(Via: Kotaku)

So they'll put the effort in to make a console that doesn't have such a high failure rate? kinda like what they should have done from the start? My 360 has only broken once. No other product would allow me to be so happy that it has only broken once.

Yeah, Microsoft:

WHY DIDN'T YOU FIX THE RROD A LONG TIME AGO.
Assuming this is legit, anyway.

What a revolutionary idea.
Does it blow up in half the time too?

thank you for repeating it! huhuhu

so if the 360 and PS3 can copy the Wii control
why not copy each other's inventions.

MAXIMUM Profit right? the end justify the means?

(http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.181704-Xbox-360-Slim-Rumor#5372930)

Wow, they thought that up all by themselves?

It's not as if a direct competitor did it first at all.

Makes sense. A leaner 360 that is bundled with Natal.

Just another move in the "copy the other guy's success" scheme that Sony and Microsoft seem to be doing...

Took them long enough to jump on the bandwagon. Sony has been doing this since the PSX...

Well, Hopefully it wont sacrifice on too much. but, would be nice to have something smaller..

Lets just hope that halving the size doesn't double the heat factor. By that I mean a smaller console means there's less space for hot air to disperse, because as we all know Microsoft has no idea how an exhaust system is supposed to work. Nevertheless, I won't be picking one up, I'm already on my fourth Xbox.

Daystar Clarion:
So they'll put the effort in to make a console that doesn't have such a high failure rate? kinda like what they should have done from the start? My 360 has only broken once. No other product would allow me to be so happy that it has only broken once.

Yeah no kidding right? This is why I never buy a next gen console immediately.
I always wait for a couple of years before buying so they can work out the bugs.
There used to be a time when companies would make sure a product worked perfectly before releasing it. Now they rely on paying customers to test the product for them.
Granted I know not everyone is as patient as I, but I only play single player anyway, and I can't afford to spend $60 on new games so I'm happy to wait for price drops.

In all fairness to the Xbox 360, the new Elites have a much, MUCH better RROD rate. Which is good because it was really inexcusable early on.

Tom Goldman:

Over on Joystiq, system modder/artist Ben Heck speculates that the new motherboard could include some kind of functionality for an internal hard drive, and notes the lack of a slot for memory units, which goes along with the recent announcement of Xbox 360 USB storage support. Microsoft may be moving away from memory units completely with the Xbox 360 slim (again, if it's even real).

This make sense if this rumoured photo of the 360 Slim is to be believed.

Apart from it's smaller size, the most obvious features are 3 USB ports but no MU slot or apparent place for an external X-Box 360 HDD.

The extra USB port on the front and the recent announcement of USB storage support seems to address this problem somewhat, IF this photo is genuine.

LeonLethality:
Just another move in the "copy the other guys success" scheme that the big three seem to be doing...

Making an electronic device smaller and more efficient over time is only a natural progression of Technology. Calling Microsoft out on downsizing their consoles and saying they are copying Sony/Nintendo in doing so is just stupid.

Also: Natal may be considered a motion control, but the method in which it achieves it is very different then that which is used by both the PS3 and the Wii.

Yeah...

A price cut would come in handy, though. I'd like to buy an elite so that I can keep it entirely to myself and get a 250gig harddrive along with it.

The life of a student requires price cuts. Many price cuts.

Or else we don't eat...

but i want my xbox to be huge.

I have a 360 so I am not going to rush out to pre-order one if this is true. However, if mine does RROD, than I am expecting the slim as a replacement

次时代主机不上网本身已经失去了很多乐趣,单机游戏对着电脑程式化的内容,玩过两次已经审美疲劳了,像COD系列游戏,不上网连线,根本体验不出游戏乐趣,COD系列销售火爆和在线游戏是分不开的,其实玩散装光盘并不少花®,首先是对主机造成的伤害,其次多数人认为散装光盘便宜,买碟一次少则几盘®几盘多则20盘30盘去买,年底算下来足够买3至5张正版了,我的几位朋友在我的劝说®下,都完了正版,现在都在玩使命4,和使命6,问他们还玩别的战争类游戏吗?答:玩过COD网络对战对别的枪械类游戏没兴趣了!我在LIVE上的散装光盘网友在COD6更新中几乎无一幸免,有的已经放弃360,有的买了新机乖乖的玩正版!

This is what a typical post on that forum looks like to me. Didn't even bother to look for the pictures when all I could see were a few words and numbers seperated by tons of blocks.

If true...it better have built in Wi-Fi.

My current Xbox is stuttering, probably on its last few months, so yea I see a slim in my future if this is true. The price cut will be nice as well.

Now on the real question, what would be the size of the hard drive?

Jamash:

Tom Goldman:

Apart from it's smaller size, the most obvious features are 3 USB ports but no MU slot or apparent place for an external X-Box 360 HDD.

The extra USB port on the front and the recent announcement of USB storage support seems to address this problem somewhat, IF this photo is genuine.

What an ugly piece of hardware.

Seriously that looks... words fail me, it is the worst looking console (well console remake) I have ever seen.

Screw that! that's a pussy xbox!
I'm staying with my

You were expecting something else weren't you?....perv.
I'm not even black O.o
Besides, i doubt the reduced size is going to do wonders for heat dissipation, and considering I'm on my 3rd elite, I'd rather not take the chance :/

Huh if the picture is to believed (the one supplied by Jamash i couldn't navigate the Chinese website to find the damn pictures) the new XBox 360 slim looks kinda tacky kinda like what the new PS3 Slim looks as well. If spend a lot of money on a new console i want it to look damn imposing!

I really don't see the point of a "Slim" 360. Honestly, the massive PS3 is one thing, but the 360 is relatively light. Plus the ones I've seen in pictures are uuuuugly.
EDIT: I just looked at the Chinese website, and my meager training in Chinese has not paid off.
I did sort of understand some guy who was talking about CoD6 though.

ma55ter_fett:

Jamash:

Tom Goldman:

What an ugly piece of hardware.

Seriously that looks... words fail me, it is the worst looking console (well console remake) I have ever seen.

Why do I get the impression that if Apple were to ever make a console, it would looks like that piece of uninspired crap.

Jamash:

Tom Goldman:

It's lost it's beautiful hourglass figure!

Aura Guardian:

I hope not.

In my opinion, Wi-Fi is a bit of a fad, and in my house I've got my 360 and PC hooked up with a long Ethernet cable, since it's a lot faster and much more stable than wireless, plus it's more secure.

In my experience, my wireless signal kept fluctuating from 48Mbps to 0.5Mbps, which isn't ideal for gaming. Now that I've gone back to wired it's 100Mbps all the time.

I also hate the idea of my console having an internal wireless device which I would never use or be able to disable (easily).

I like the way it is at the moment, with an optional, external wireless adapter for those who wish to use it.

ark123:
What a revolutionary idea.
Does it blow up in half the time too?

With half the calories even. You don't even need 3 lights, only 1.5!

If they want to do something frakking awesome to pull more people to the 360, they should hire that guy who made the 360 laptop.

Jamash:

Aura Guardian:

I hope not.

In my opinion, Wi-Fi is a bit of a fad, and in my house I've got my 360 and PC hooked up with a long Ethernet cable, since it's a lot faster and much more stable than wireless, plus it's more secure.

In my experience, my wireless signal kept fluctuating from 48Mbps to 0.5Mbps, which isn't ideal for gaming. Now that I've gone back to wired it's 100Mbps all the time.

I also hate the idea of my console having an internal wireless device which I would never use or be able to disable (easily).

I like the way it is at the moment, with an optional, external wireless adapter for those who wish to use it.

My room is very far from my modem. So I had to buy the Wi-Fi adapter which was $99.99 "well spent" since I barely use the system. Good thing the Wii has Wi-fi

price cut? isnt it already $199? I hope this doesnt shake things up too much in terms of war between PS3 and Xbox. I love my ps3 more than my 360, i dont wanna see it go the Dreamcast way.

Jamash:

Tom Goldman:

Thats ugglier than the PS3 slim. Jesus, who the fuck is in charge of aesthetics?
all of this only matters if that pic is legit.

Daystar Clarion:

QFT. Too bad my friend and I (we share X360s) are on our 4th X360. Well, technically, he's on the 4th. I cut my losses, got out of that viscous cycle and defected to the PS3 :P

Cool stuff, if true. Price cuts are always good.

soapyshooter:

Jamash:

Tom Goldman:

Thats ugglier than the PS3 slim. Jesus, who the fuck is in charge of aesthetics?
all of this only matters if that pic is legit.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was just a dev kit or a prototype. I know for a fact that sometimes dev kits can look nothing like the actual console. For example, the PSP dev kit is basically a very small desktop computer with a full size DVD drive. You have a big thick cable coming out of it connecting it to a handheld PSP unit.

Some 360 dev kits are purely run on emulation and are essentially big beige boxes like computers of old... So don't take that picture too seriously. If it is indeed what Microsoft intends to sell to consumers, then I'll definitely agree that it does look like a piece of shit.

Hey, I have an idea, why not make it bigger and put more fans in the thing? PC gamers like me don't mind that sort of thing at all.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here