Reggie: Nintendo Doesn't Enjoy Making Mature Games

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reggie: Nintendo Doesn't Enjoy Making Mature Games

Reggie Fils-Aime says Nintendon't make mature games because it has absolutely no desire to do so.

The Nintendo Wii has plenty of kid-friendly titles available that the entire family can enjoy for hours upon hours of arm-waggling fun, but why hasn't Nintendo embraced any segment of a more mature audience? Nintendo bigwig Reggie Fils-Aime told MTV that, despite wanting to appeal to as many consumers as possible, Nintendo simply doesn't do mature.

However, Reggie doesn't want anyone to think that Nintendo has no desire for the Wii to appeal to Mario fans and Madworld fans alike. "It's a priority for us bringing a range of entertainment," he said. "It's a priority for us to have a range of third-party licensees see success on the platform, and it's a priority for us to make sure that
every consumer has content that they're going to enjoy."

There is a snag when it comes to Nintendo actually creating mature content like one would easily find in triple-A form on the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3. "The challenge for us is that we ourselves, Nintendo, don't create that type of content. We're not experts at it, our developers don't particularly enjoy making that type of content. They probably could make stellar content if they chose to; we choose to do something else." It looks like the most violent game we'll ever see out of Nintendo will be Smash Bros.

Still, Nintendo encourages third-parties to make a niche for themselves on the Wii, if they can. "It really is up to the third party developer to create that great content and bring it to life on our platform. There have been some tremendous successes: Resident Evil and that franchise has done exceptionally well. I'd say that while there have also maybe not been commercial successes, the products have been stellar: Grand Theft Auto on the DS is an example."

To all the Wii owners out there that want more mature titles, Reggis has some advice: "What we want to do is continue to encourage that type of development, and candidly, also encourage those consumers who have been saying 'Hey, Nintendo, where is this content' to go out there and buy it and support it. I can lay out a tremendous amount of games that are of high quality that have gone largely ignored by the very consumers that are asking for them."

He's right, and the question I ask is: Why? Resident Evil sells because it's Resident Evil most likely, but why has virtually every other mature title gone ignored by Wii owners? For that matter, why do most unique Wii titles that aren't developed by Nintendo have trouble selling on the Wii? Are consumers afraid due to the glut of complete garbage that has saturated the Wii market, or is it something else?

Source: MTV

But nintendo is making a first party game that's Rated mature in japan

Nintendo doesn't need to make ultra gore and sex games to survive in a market that practically demands it. That what makes the big N the greatest gaming company ever.

My favourite example is Eternal Darkness. I'm still looking for a copy somewhere... Curse only being allowed to rent it...

The problem is most of the wii's games are garbage.

it does not matter the rating

Edit

Georgie_Leech:
My favourite example is Eternal Darkness. I'm still looking for a copy somewhere... Curse only being allowed to rent it...

At least im not the only person who knows of that little gem from the gamecube. for mentioning it you get a cookie.

I would gladly buy more games for the Wii if I had the cash. I'd think most people who don't have one either think it's for kids (wrong) or the library is full of shovelware (not wrong). It's worth the decent amount good titles on the system, but most people probably don't care.

What is with Mister Fils-Aime making these obvious comments recently?

Captain Obvious to the rescue, to make your day even more obvious.

MurderousToaster:
What is with Mister Fils-Aime making these obvious comments recently?

Captain Obvious to the rescue, to make your day even more obvious.

Actually I think the biggest shock is that the man is talking sense himself.

I don't think Nintendo should do mature, it'd be like Disney making a slasher movie. They're fine with what they do. Like the Mario & Luigi series. I'm currently playing it, and there's plenty of jokes for people my age and older. Like Fawful with his "badly translated" blurbs: "A winner is you!".

And I hope Nintendo never changes.

Because even without the blood, sex and ultra-graphics, Nintendo still makes some of the most fun games out there.

crimsonshrouds:
Edit

Georgie_Leech:

At least im not the only person who knows of that little gem from the gamecube. for mentioning it you get a cookie.

I'm pretty sure everyone on here will know it, particularly since it was mentioned in the Zero Punctuation review for Too Human... but yeah, my brother owned it (for my Gamecube, er, yeah.) and he loved it, but I never got around to playing it.

So... Reggie. Thanks for telling us what we already knew, I guess, but at least he's encouraging other developers to make them rather than just allowing it to be all family-friendly mulch.

I pretty much already knew that Nintendo as a company focused on games which can appeal to everyone, or are 'child friendly' (I should point out I feel this term doesn't quite fit with what I mean but is likely the closest approximation).

However it would have been nice too have mention of why Nintendo like making shovelware so much, I hate to be that guy but when I read this my mind tends to wander towards the increasing amount of shite I see being released.

I looked at my ps3 titles just now and noticed I only have 2-T games and only one E game. (Little Big Planet!)
I have lots of little nieces and nephews that like to come to Uncle Thor's house to play videogames (and d&d miniatures) pretty much the ONLY reason I've kept the wii is because of them and i can actually find decent games that are E or a 'soft' T fairly easily.

Georgie_Leech:

Oh god yes. Eternal Darkness was and still is one of my favorite games of all time.

Games don't have to feature violence and sex to be mature. I'd be interested to see Nintendo make a mature game, namely one that an adult gets something from that kids don't. To use the movie industry as a comparison, if Nintendo made films I'd want a 2001: A Space Odyssey from them rather than an Aliens.

If they're not going to make "mature" games, they can enjoy a lack of "mature" customers.

zombie711:

link please

Booze Zombie:
If they're not going to make "mature" games, they can enjoy a lack of "mature" customers.

I love what Nintendo makes. In fact they may well be my favorite developer in the business. I love "mature" games as much as anyone else but the only time that's the selling point is with games like God of War. The obsession with "mature" titles this generation really turned me off to gaming for a while; it's why I didn't get a current-gen system until last year.

Booze Zombie:

because everyone knows that "Mature" means appropriate for "Mature" people.

I honestly enjoy Teen rated games more than Mature rated games. It's mostly kids that are more attached to that little M on the box. M doesn't stand for quality ya know.

Sony has it right: in house they have God of War and Shadow of the Colossus. They make quality games for both "Teen" and "Mature" audiences.

but they also have the advantage of having Third party developers wanting to make games for them. devs seem to not really enjoy making games for Wii...

I'd love a Q rating. Rated Q for quality.

SirPumpkinLongshanks:
I love what Nintendo makes. In fact they may well be my favorite developer in the business. I love "mature" games as much as anyone else but the only time that's the selling point is with games like God of War. The obsession with "mature" titles this generation really turned me off to gaming for a while; it's why I didn't get a current-gen system until last year.

I haven't enjoyed a Nintendo game in a good long while.
It's all very stale to me.

orangeapples:
Sony has it right: in house they have God of War and Shadow of the Colossus. They make quality games for both "Teen" and "Mature" audiences.

but they also have the advantage of having Third party developers wanting to make games for them. devs seem to not really enjoy making games for Wii...

That's what I mean, though, if Nintendo will not support a market then they will not have that market.

Nintendo has not cowtowed to the hardcore crowd whining about "lack of blood and titties" in their library of games and that has brought them major success over the years and that's what they should stick to.

Booze Zombie:

orangeapples:

That's what I mean, though, if Nintendo will not support a market then they will not have that market.

Nintendo would be really good at making Shadow of the Colussus type games. We've arguably gotten something in that vein with Metroid Prime. I'm not talking about the artistry or the setting but the feel-Prime is extremely atmospheric and it's the perfect example of a game that can't be appreciated as readily by a child as it can an adult. If that's what mature meant then by all means I want more. My point is that when most people talk about mature games they're talking about guns and gore, FPSes, various shades of brown-that's not what got me into games and it's not gonna keep me gaming.

You got it in your last sentence. When you appeal to a more casual market especially, the impression that people get is "unless Nintendo put their own name on it and made it themselves, it's gonna be shovelware and we don't want to buy that."

Nintendo's lack of quality control standards for third-party developers hurts those third parties who may otherwise want to develop for the Wii. With the PS3 and 360 this isn't a problem; more hardcore gamers tend to be quite well aware of what's good and what isn't, but Nintendo's customer base is comprised of people who are more likely to use simple brand loyalty as a shorthand for product research.

Mind you, this is not a bad thing for Nintendo; they can vertically integrate the entire process and print money. But for the platform's widespread acceptance this isn't a viable strategy. Then again, put me in the shoes of Fils-Aime or Miyamoto and I would do exactly the same thing. Why? Because it prints money.

Reggie, you provide me with that list, and I will have myself a nice little shopping spree.

Hmmmm, well as the first successful game console after the "Atari Crash", Nintendo got a lot of fire from parents and such. All of the complaints you see about video gaming now existed then and were aimed at Nintendo. Some of it's titles at the time like "Castle Vania" which included gore and occult elements and such got attention akin to "Manhunt" with the console even called Satanic by some. The truth is that there were less gamers around back then (despite the fact that everyone CLAIMS to have begun playing in that era) and these issues didn't quite hit the same chord that they do now. I think Nintendo is basically taking it's child friendly approach as a way of ducking the contreversy that is hitting other consoles. They figure that they will let them take the brunt of things, while they collect cash with titles that are so generally inoffensive that nobody will complain. On the chance that they get criticism due to a third party title, they can always cut that developer loose and refuse to let them develop anymore if push comes to shove.

To some extent I oppose the practice because I feel that Nintendo of all companies should be one of those at the forefront of fighting against censorship, and this kind of criticism directly. However like the industry in general they prefer to let someone else do all the heavy lifting (they figure someone will eventually) and be there to reap the profits without any work.

I also tend to agree that Nintendo does seem to get a lot of shovelware, I also think that it's relatively low power limits how realistic and "mature" things can get, which is why kids titles that rely on bright colors and relatively simplistic graphics can thrive. What's more they have shown that with this kind of "Cutesy" entertainment they can also draw in certain adults and an increasingly older geriatric group.

Nintendo claiming they aren't good at this kind of thing is a lie. Saying they don't want to is accurate but only in so far as I think they don't want the trouble that goes along with such development. They don't want to wind up having their titles looked at by Australian censors or anything of the sort. In fact the most you could accuse Nintendo of is promoting a really left wing political agenda, but even that is debatable (and beyond the contect of this discussion, but people have talked about the Symbolism of Mario, and even the characterizations as far as they went in "Bowsers Inside Story")

SirPumpkinLongshanks:
Nintendo would be really good at making Shadow of the Colussus type games. We've arguably gotten something in that vein with Metroid Prime. I'm not talking about the artistry or the setting but the feel-Prime is extremely atmospheric and it's the perfect example of a game that can't be appreciated as readily by a child as it can an adult. If that's what mature meant then by all means I want more. My point is that when most people talk about mature games they're talking about guns and gore, FPSes, various shades of brown-that's not what got me into games and it's not gonna keep me gaming.

To me "mature" means that death happens in the game and I'm not killing robots who don't feel pain, my character's doing something for a reason, he/she has motivations and isn't a super-human.

Basically, that the game has developed characters and you can believe what's happening.
To use a non-game example, when 4Kids edited One Piece and turned the bars into burger and juice stands... I couldn't buy that.
It just didn't make sense.

So, for me, a mature game means that you won't understand it as a kid because you're all happy and naive, where as older gamers would get it because they've lived some life and understand the characters in the game or indeed any medium.
I know that if I spent all day plundering gold, for instance, I wouldn't want to be sober with an American cheese burger and a glass of organge juice in my hands.

It probably isn't fun to design, lol. Imagine playtesting Contra. Hehe. Think of the difficulty tuning. It must not be enjoyable to make mature games. The blood scatters everywhere...

I love "Mature" games, but I can understand Nintendo has a lot of other things to be making, like the new games in their top franchises.

"Nintendo simply doesn't do mature"

Then how about hardcore? I'd settle with that quite nicely.

"but why has virtually every other mature title gone ignored by Wii owners?"

Nintendo goes out and markets to casual gamers so no one interested in buying hardcore titles buys the Wii then make a handful of hardcore titles (that are pretty mediocre by the looks of it) and expects hardcore gamers to drop $250 on a Wii just so they can experience their half-assed effort, seriously?

This, this is why I have tremendous respect for Nintendo.

I actually think the shortage of "hardcore" titles on the Wii is a blessing in disguise. Sure, it's loaded with shovelware, but it does make the genuine ones like Metroid, Resident Evil 4 or Madworld stand out more. It also means that people who don't have the money to buy new games eveyr other week can scoop up the best games instead of being swamped by choice like with the other consoles.

zombie711:

Link.

WayOutThere:

But what does that mean? Seems to me that the only "hardcore" games are blood-drenched shooters, fighting games, and arcade oldies-but-goodies (I.E. Metal Slug, Contra, etc.).

At a guess, it's probably because big N has carved out its place in the current market with young gamers and gamers outside of the standard 18-34 year old male market. The very young aren't allowed to play Madworld, and a lot of the others fall outside the "Mature" market in other ways- people who just play the pack in titles and the occasional bargain offered at grocery stores, people who play titles like Wii Fit and Dance Dance Revolution for exercise, and so on. Where there's overlap in the Wii market with what most think of as the typical gamer market, you have a dedicated fan base that grew up with many of Nintendo's mainstays... And you also most likely have people with more than one games machine, and given a limited array of options, they'd probably rather play their "Hardcore" games in HD, or using a mouse and keyboard, or just with some controller other than the Wiimote.

It also is probably worth noting that the Wii has always been the low-price option, both regarding system hardware and the kind of television one needs to get the most out of said hardware. And the Wii games that have been pitched at the "hardcore" have generally been some of the most expensive available for the system, at least at launch.

I guess there IS a reason why Nintendo keeps Reggie around, after all.

That's fine by me, I'd just as soon Nintendo NOT make mature rated games. It's been my observation that a lot of so-called "mature" games are trying to hard to come across as "mature" (which also comes across as very immature to me) and a lot of potential is lost in the effort. I'd just as soon Nintendo stay focused on what they're good at.

Edit:

Pimppeter2:
This, this is why I have tremendous respect for Nintendo.

Also this.
Also with the exception of Atari, Nintendo has been doing this longer than anyone else in the industry, so bear that in mind before criticizing.

WayOutThere:

But what does that mean? Seems to me that the only "hardcore" games are blood-drenched shooters, fighting games, and arcade oldies-but-goodies (I.E. Metal Slug, Contra, etc.).[/quote]

It's possible to have hardcore games that aren't mature. Think of Mario, Zelda, Kirby etc.

Flying-Emu:

WayOutThere:

But what does that mean? Seems to me that the only "hardcore" games are blood-drenched shooters, fighting games, and arcade oldies-but-goodies (I.E. Metal Slug, Contra, etc.).

It's possible to have hardcore games that aren't mature. Think of Mario, Zelda, Kirby etc.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here