Michael Atkinson's Successor is an "R18+ Supporter"

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Michael Atkinson's Successor is an "R18+ Supporter"

Michael Atkinson's replacement as Attorney General for South Australia has been named and according to Gamers4Croydon President Chris Prior, he's a supporter of R18+ ratings for videogames.

Atkinson, the Australian politician notorious for his opposition to an R18+ rating for videogames, stepped down from his position as Attorney General for South Australia earlier this week following an election which saw his Labor Party maintain a slim majority in the state. After 21 years in Parliament, Atkinson reportedly wants to spend more time with his family and feels that this is a good opportunity for some of the younger backbenchers in the party to take their place in the front-line ranks.

While it was initially expected to take as long as two weeks to choose a replacement, South Australia Premier Mike Rann got the job done in only three days, naming John Rau as Atkinson's replacement. "He's served on the backbench, he's a very distinguished barrister, his knowledge of jurisprudence is without exception in this state and I look forward to working with him," Rann told ABC News.

Gamers, of course, will have a more specific interest in Rau's political leanings: Where he comes down on the question of videogame ratings. In that regard, the news is good, according to Chris Prior, the president of anti-Atkinson political party Gamers4Croydon. In a Twitter post, Prior wrote, "New SA Attorney-General is John Rau, a supporter or the R18+ classification for games (and a nice guy, to boot)"

This is obviously a big step forward for the R18+ crusade in Australia but I don't think it's quite "game over" just yet. Other sources of opposition to mature game ratings remain and Atkinson claimed early last year that while he was the industry's favorite punching bag, other Classification Ministers were also opposed to the idea. Rau's appointment would appear to be a big boost for gamers, but as Atkinson himself proved, it only takes one well-placed opponent to hang things up for everyone.

Source: GamePolitics

Wow I hear the cheers of many happy aussies.

It's still not a sure thing, but it should now be easier to get a R18+ rateing

Yay! Now, the Swiss government is the one going anti-gamer. It seems that for every one that goes down, another one rises in its' place.

Haha! Brilliant! We're knocking off bad Australians with good ones! Yahtzee for Australian Prime Minister! Woo!

Calumon: So older kids can have more fun when playing now?

Yay for Australia! Now lets watch while someone else manages to cock everything up.

Things can only get better for Australians.

the war's not over, but at least a battle has been won

Yes!

For once the system works!

I love you, Mr. Rau! Thank you for bringing me such hope and joy!

Good Game Atkinson may you now get heckled by gamers all over.

Well with him out of power the fight should get much easier.

Does this mean that we won't be seeing that freaky picture of Atkinson's terrible teeth anymore?

What a fething shame!

I'll be saying yay when the R18+ rating is established.

Now protesters will be visible too. Cause now the new guy will listen and let the others look out the window. This is a positive step.

I wish Michael Atkinson the best in whatever he decides to do. A man like that might have kept Twilight off the shelves, just think what may have been.

Yay!

But why is the picture of Michael Atkinson? That kinda kills the mood...

All I can say is, Its about time australians are allowed to play ps3 and xbox games since most of em are 18s

btw I never noticed that michael had such bad oral hygiene lol

Now, if the pricing and release date thing gets sorted out the only complaint will be online play itself. While I had no vested interest in the discussion, I did follow it with interest and am glad to see a positive turn for once.

Hopefully this is a step towards a less sucky government for gamers in Australia.

Now for Switzerland...

ahem

HAAAAAAAAAAAALELUJAH! HAAAAAAAAAAAAAALELLUJA!!!!!

sorry.

Does this mean we have to thank Atkinson for his actions? That's just... wrong.

On a serious note, this looks like this is a step in the right direction, as it looked like Atkinson's reign was headed towards a censorship level that was just plain insane. Now we just need to turn our attention to the Swiss...

Good. Finally, our Aussie friends can play.

And there was much rejoicing. Then they ate Robin's minstrels and there was much rejoicing.

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Progression! Just what we like to see! Great news for the Aussies!

Im not surprised... This is exactly WHY he was thrown out left his position... Don't be fooooooled people!

(Ah i just reported myself x.x wanted to see if more detailed reasons for reporting people would come up.. or a form or smtn )

Obligatory:

OT: Excellent news.

/salute: Faith In Humanity +1

Gah, apologies. Forum glitch.

Mmmmm... I just need to savor the irony for a minute here.
Its so delicious.

MurderousToaster:
Yay! Now, the Swiss government is the one going anti-gamer. It seems that for every one that goes down, another one rises in its' place.

I think Germany banned violent video games too.

However, this is certainly good news for Australian gamers, though this was to be expected. No one would be stupid enough to choose someone exactly the same, would they?

MurderousToaster:

Nope, Germany is still anti-violenct video games. They even censored The Orange Box (Which I suffered greatly for half of a year).

While I'm not an Aussie, I still have this very strong urge to have a girly moment and squeal in glee.

Catkid906:
Haha! Brilliant! We're knocking off bad Australians with good ones! Yahtzee for Australian Prime Minister! Woo!

Calumon: So older kids can have more fun when playing now?

I've been meaning to say this for a long time whenever I see you post...here goes

WE LOVE YOU CALUMON!!!

Also this is WONDERFUL NEWS!

Hm.

I offer reserved support. I am hesitant to support a politician for just ONE of his political views.

But for us gamers, this IS a step in the right direction. :D

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or