USB Drive Support Coming to Xbox 360

Pages 1 2 NEXT

USB Drive Support Coming to Xbox 360

USB memory support will be coming to the Xbox 360 by way of a new system update scheduled for release in April.

Microsoft's Larry Hryb, aka Major Nelson, revealed on his blog today that a system update scheduled for April 6 will enable USB memory support on the Xbox 360. Once the update is in place, 360 owners will be able to plug USB flash drives into their consoles, configure them via system settings and then use them to store profiles, game saves, demos and other information. Memory management functionality is also being updated to give users more control over data being copied or moved between devices.

Individual drives will be limited to 16 GB of storage but two separate devices can be connected simultaneously, allowing for a maximum of 32 GB of storage. USB hard drives "may" work, according to the Major, but they'll still be limited to 16 GB of storage and won't perform nearly as well. "Since performance on flash based USB storage is usually better, I highly recommend using flash based instead of spinning media like a hard drive," he wrote. "It's just going to give you a MUCH better experience."

Microsoft is partnering with SanDisk to release an Xbox 360 branded USB drive in May which will be preconfigured to work with the console, but any USB drive of at least 1 GB in size can be used. For more information, including screen shots of the new USB drive support in action, pop over to majornelson.com.

I like it that Microsoft are already jumping on the opportunity to brand one of the most basic items on the IT market today in hopes that they'll make even more money from this. Still, it's nice to know they're willing to give up their memory card monopoly on the 360 to allow for some good old compatibility.

And to make more money, of course.

Good. All I got is the 20GB hard drive.

Now I won't have to spend a hundred bucks to upgrade, plus the transfer cable. I can just "supplement" my hard drive.

About damn time.

Screw paying ridiculous amounts of money for a 512MB memory card.

Hmmmm this is surprising, it means that there will surely be a huge increase in modding considering we can now freely take save files without the use of an Xsata drive.

'Bout bloody time!!! This'll make it much, much easier to transfer saved games etc between systems. Good news, methinks!

Oh good, i was running otu of space! D:

that is going to be awesome

Sweet!
I'm pretty excited for this!
I can't wait to see how it works out in terms of speed.
You can install games to the USB drives, and I'm wondering how much faster that is compared to just running it off the CDs.
We'll find out!

Its about goddamn time.

I still have the fucking launch hard drive. And all anyone has told me is to buy the bigger hard drives.

Well I would if they weren't stupidly overpriced.

The memory I have left right now is about 500 megabytes. Yes, 500 megabytes is all I have left in my tiny hard drive. And I will never buy one of the overpriced ones until the price goes down to reasonable levels. Its the principal of the matter and I still have some dignity left that I won't throw it away by accepting MS's shit.

*ahem*

Sorry, got off track there for a second...

Still, now I can finally download demos, and redownload my old South Park episodes I was forced to delete to make room for stuff.

this is great and a good step forward for consoles as now you can take your multiplayer game of choice to a friends placeand not have to cart your HD around just for your profile and saves!

I would really like to see a form of online storage where you can upload your saves to it and then they will be accessible anywhere to you and your password (in addition to them being on your HD). it would be like a Good version of EA's new 'it's not DRM trust us' idea, but for the console market

Good to hear, I have the 120GB hard drive so i don't really have a problem but this will be good news to anyone who has the launch or arcade versions of the games.

IckleMissMayhem:
'Bout bloody time!!! This'll make it much, much easier to transfer saved games etc between systems. Good news, methinks!

No kidding.
I can't believe it didn't already have this feature.
What the hell is the usb slot for?

So late and only 16GB per device? Wow. That's like, what, Mass Effect 2 + saved games?

If microsoft lets me install my own HD at street price instead of buying their overpriced crappiness I might consider getting an xbox.

GonzoGamer:

IckleMissMayhem:

No kidding.

charger cords.

Abedeus:
So late and only 16GB per device? Wow. That's like, what, Mass Effect 2 + saved games?

most, if not all, games for the 360 are within the 6-8 gb range, and considering how a majority of users dont actually save games onto their hard-drive, 16-32 Gb is very reasonable. I will be the first to admit that as soon as this update is released I will remove my music from my hard drive and free up the 18 gigs that it takes.

Onyx Oblivion:
Good. All I got is the 20GB hard drive.

Now I won't have to spend a hundred bucks to upgrade, plus the transfer cable. I can just "supplement" my hard drive.

I don't remember how big my HDD is but i know it's the smallest (that's 20GB right?) since i bought my 360 about a week after realise so I'm just as happy as you since i was just about to buy a 250GB HDD and transfer cable xD

Now...if they can only sell their users an HDD for less than a 100% mark-up, 360 owners will be tickled pink.

Mornelithe:
Now...if they can only sell their users an HDD for less than a 100% mark-up, 360 owners will be tickled pink.

That's no lie... still, I love the idea that I can get a 4 gig drive for $15 dollars and endlessly swap games-on-demand on it, with usb2.0 loading speeds! What I'm MORE excited about, though, is that I can now carry my Borderlands and Castle Crashers characters on my keychain! This will be SOOO much easier than taking my entire hard-drive off to take it to a friend's house, as that usually causes issues with his wireless and lots of confusion when switching games.

So I can just save games on a memory stick?

Awesome! I have been running out of room and I am not prepared to pay 100 for a new hard drive. I wonder why it took Microsoft so long though...

Dang, i just payed out 10 for a data transfer cable so I could get my game saves onto my laptop. oh well, its a good thing I guess

A little late to the party MS, but good you finally caught up. A removable storage device will prove very useful.

300lb. Samoan:

That's no lie... still, I love the idea that I can get a 4 gig drive for $15 dollars and endlessly swap games-on-demand on it, with usb2.0 loading speeds! What I'm MORE excited about, though, is that I can now carry my Borderlands and Castle Crashers characters on my keychain! This will be SOOO much easier than taking my entire hard-drive off to take it to a friend's house, as that usually causes issues with his wireless and lots of confusion when switching games.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, it's a great thing and I'm sure will allow users more freedom than they were previously afforded, but it pisses me off...and I don't even own a 360. I know they're a business and have models and such, but seriously 250g hdd's cost dick now. Hell, they're selling 640's for $99 (hrm...may want to toss one of those in my PS3..come to think of it). Just wish they'd throw their end-user more of a bone here.

Nice to see they are going to start supporting this!

Finally be able to make proper back ups if need be!

Aurora219:
I like it that Microsoft are already jumping on the opportunity to brand one of the most basic items on the IT market today in hopes that they'll make even more money from this. Still, it's nice to know they're willing to give up their memory card monopoly on the 360 to allow for some good old compatibility.

And to make more money, of course.

Don't be so silly. They care for their consumers and not the money that....HAHAHAHAHAHA! I almost kept a straight face. I think this is ridiculous. Seriously, whats wrong with a External Hard drive or portable for this? Thats what i use on my PS3.

Mornelithe:

300lb. Samoan:

Yeah, don't get me wrong, it's a great thing and I'm sure will allow users more freedom than they were previously afforded, but it pisses me off...and I don't even own a 360. I know they're a business and have models and such, but seriously 250g hdd's cost dick now. Hell, they're selling 640's for $99 (hrm...may want to toss one of those in my PS3..come to think of it). Just wish they'd throw their end-user more of a bone here.

Yea, but we're talkin' about Micro$oft here. They use every trick in the book to squeeze cash out of us XBoxers. The HDs are a horrible rip-off, I'd never buy one (and I really wish I'd got the Elite with the 120GB packed in, the money you save is rediculous - you actually get everything included at market value!) But the Memory Cards were just fuckin rediculous - $30 for 512mb of storage - what is this, 1998? Now for the same money users can get a 16GB flash drive and have much more flexibility with the system.

Yay for M$!!!, and right about time, I was just thinking on replacing my 20gb HDD for a 250gb (I didn't bought the 250 Elite, because I bought my Xbox from a friend for roughly 190 bucks on last november), but heavy thinking on this one, I don't have the money for a new HDD, but I have a couple of flash drives lying around with more than enough space... I don't know how or why, this will remind me of my PSOne days of having like 5 memory cards lying around and swapping them all the time...

300lb. Samoan:

Yea, but we're talkin' about Micro$oft here. They use every trick in the book to squeeze cash out of us XBoxers. The HDs are a horrible rip-off, I'd never buy one (and I really wish I'd got the Elite with the 120GB packed in, the money you save is rediculous - you actually get everything included at market value!) But the Memory Cards were just fuckin rediculous - $30 for 512mb of storage - what is this, 1998? Now for the same money users can get a 16GB flash drive and have much more flexibility with the system.

Yeah that's freekin retarded. $30 for that is just...mean. LoL. Ahh well, maybe this is a harbinger of a general loosening of the sphincter from MS.

About damn time. PS3 owners have been able to do this since launch.

I would ask why the hell it took so long, but I suspect I already know the answer.

Well, at least I don't have to worry about the ever smaller amount of memory space I have on my puny 20GB harddrive.

Still, why only 16GB?

Any news as to whether or not you can load game addons, and other DLC? i doubt it, but it would be nice.

I don't know 'bout the roadmap but is this the first step in fasing out this console?
I hope that the next step is to stop giving me a hard time streaming music from my NAS.
open source FTW :)

Sir Ollie:
About damn time.

My thoughts exactly good sir!

I dont own a 360 but this sounds like great news

GonzoGamer:

I've already been using my flash drives on my 360... haven't you?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here