Sony Removes "Other OS" Option for PS3

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Sony Removes "Other OS" Option for PS3

PlayStation 3 owners who make use of the "Other OS" option will need to backup their data fast, because with the newest firmware update they're going to lose it.

While the "Other OS" feature only exists for older PS3 models, hacker George Hotz revealed in a blog post that the feature could be used to create a security exploit, giving the user far more access to the system than Sony likely intended. In the most recent firmware upgrade, Sony is removing this feature from any PlayStation 3 that has it.

Whether this is in direct response to the cracking is unknown, but Sony is billing this update as a way to increase security. "In addition, disabling the 'Other OS' feature will help ensure that PS3 owners will continue to have access to the broad range of gaming and entertainment content from SCE and its content partners on a more secure system," SCEA corporate communications director Patrick Seybold said.

Those who wish to decline the firmware update will lose access to PlayStation Network and online features associated with the PlayStation 3. Sony has also said declining the update will bar players from new updates and features. Finally, any stored data on an Other OC user's PlayStation 3 will be lost once the update is installed.

Source: Gamasutra

Boo, not that I use the other OS option a lot, but I do use it. I was using it as a way to start learningl inux. Didn't really want to muck around with VM's or dual boots on my desktop.

This sounds like they are instead of implementing a proper fix to the operations of the Other OS they are simply disabling it and forgetting about it.

Whats next an update to disable backwards compatibility for the units that have it?

So what? I could load Windows on a PS3 if I wanted to with the other OS option? I assume this will mainly effect people who use the PS3 as a processing machine (breaking through encrypted CP folders and other scientific wonders)

Izerous:

Whats next an update to disable backwards compatibility for the units that have it?

Please don't give them ideas 0_0

I ever intended on using that feature, but i imagine it annoying some people.
Just seems a bit harsh how they're removing PSN access for people who don't update.

I understand why they did it though, they've been fussy about security recently and i guess that feature posed the biggest risk.

Dexiro:

Just seems a bit harsh how they're removing PSN access for people who don't update.

They've always done that, haven't they?

I never really saw the point of being able to install another OS to it, so I won't be missing it. Though I can understand that some people may be annoyed by it.

Hmmm, legitimate response to hackers who mess with the rankings? Doubt it, it's not going to present anything more than a minor inconvienience to them. Bet this has something to do feature/content control in the near future.

As a 360 owner, what does this mean for you guys? (Apart from the obvious)

I've never even bothered thinking about having another OS. The PS3 one is fine for me. But still I understand its a blow for people who do use the Other OS option.

The Rockerfly:

As a PS3 owner... I want to know that too.

I'm not very technical.

Yeah, it would be nice if someone translated this for non-PS3 owners.

The Rockerfly:

In all honesty. Nothing. I never seen the point of the option in the first place

dududf:

Izerous:

Please don't give them ideas 0_0

They can't remove a hardware feature, those who have BC (such as me) have it forever.

I don't suppose they mention that there was extensive hardware modification first before the other os feature was brought into play for the hack (trust me the stuff that had to be done is pretty damn complex), this is a bullshit security measure if anyone finds a legitimate petition to keep the feature post a link or something although i think the update is for april 1st so it could be a bad joke

George Hotz is a f*cking genius, but he is destroying everything hackers love..

dommyuk:

Dexiro:

They've always done that, haven't they?

I never really saw the point of being able to install another OS to it, so I won't be missing it. Though I can understand that some people may be annoyed by it.

Eh probably, i wouldn't know xD

The Rockerfly:

For most likely 95% of ps3 owners it means nothing at all.

666Chaos:

The Rockerfly:

For most likely 95% of ps3 owners it means nothing at all.

Oh okay, I thought I would be a massive blow for most of the community but as long as it's not

The other OS option means you can load other operating systems like Linux, making your PS3 a fully functional computer(and able to play PS3 games). I will miss this... after my PC crashed, I set up my PS3 with Linux and junked the old CPU.... guess I'll actually have to get a new computer now.

:(

It is not a massive blow to that much of the community but I was using the linux partition to play around with cell Processor programming it really sucks that they are taking it away.

At first I was horribly pissed but the more I think about it the more I can understand where they are coming from. It is too bad that a couple of crackers have caused this hammer to fall.

Hubilub:

The Rockerfly:

I'm not very technical.

Basically the older fat ps3's had a other OS option where you could install and run linux from your ps3 it would put aside 10GB of hard drive space to install a linux distro. It was nice because it ran decent depending on the distro you had and with the cell SDK you could play with programming for cell processors without having to run some really bad emulation systems. MIT and many other schools and such used the machine for teaching/implementing multi-threaded cell programming. The ps3 is about half to a quarter of the cost of a stand alone cell server.

It doesn't sound like they are taking away anything important, but I do love it when companies try and sell changes to their consumer base:

Austin MacKenzie:
"In addition, disabling the 'Other OS' feature will help ensure that PS3 owners will continue to have access to the broad range of gaming and entertainment content from SCE and its content partners on a more secure system," SCEA corporate communications director Patrick Seybold said.

It seems completely unnecessary for them to add the bold part.

midpipps:
It is not a massive blow to that much of the community but I was using the linux partition to play around with cell Processor programming it really sucks that they are taking it away.

At first I was horribly pissed but the more I think about it the more I can understand where they are coming from. It is too bad that a couple of crackers have caused this hammer to fall.

Hubilub:

The Rockerfly:

I'm not very technical.

Basically the older fat ps3's had a other OS option where you could install and run linux from your ps3 it would put aside 10GB of hard drive space to install a linux distro. It was nice because it ran decent depending on the distro you had and with the cell SDK you could play with programming for cell processors without having to run some really bad emulation systems. MIT and many other schools and such used the machine for teaching/implementing multi-threaded cell programming. The ps3 is about half to a quarter of the cost of a stand alone cell server.

Playstation, it only does everything.

Including breaking peoples hearts.

Damn crackers ruining the world!

He forgot rule #1 don't brag about your crimes.

This is bad. I never used it, but I know there are very niche communities who were dedicated to it. Now Sony has given them the options of:

1. Suck it up, drop the hobby and move on.

2. Become segregated from the rest of the PS3 community and never play an online game on your console again.

Sony, I am disappointed. I expected MS to pull this sort of move. Hopefully they'll compensate like MS did for Halo 2.

Judging by other comments, I'll be one of the few people legitimately annoyed by this.

We use the PS3 as an entertainment/media center as well as a gaming console. Due to the Playstation's Game OS having codec issues with about 1/2 of the files I try to play off the damn thing, it was much simpler to install Ubuntu (PS3) and VLC player.

While this may not be the biggest loss the PS3 has suffered, it seems like all the 'awesome' features that once justified its price tag have all slowly whittled away over time. This only adds to that.

clankwise:

Hacking a console isn't a crime. If anything, this kid's going to get scooped up by some major development/security firm with a higher paying job than any of us Escapists can imagine. This is the same kid who hacked the iPhone when he was 17.

That seems rather Arbitary,we were finally getting some decent console/computer convergence and they remove it. Despite it slack of use the Other Os option was a true step forward in gaming technology, turning the console from an over priced games machine in to a jack of all trades.

The Rockerfly:

It doesn't mean anything, it reaffirms the fact that Sony, the electronics goliath who has been turning a large part of their corperation to the gaming market, is committing economic suicide to punishing its consumers for using their products. .

Nova5:
Judging by other comments, I'll be one of the few people legitimately annoyed by this.

We use the PS3 as an entertainment/media center as well as a gaming console. Due to the Playstation's Game OS having codec issues with about 1/2 of the files I try to play off the damn thing, it was much simpler to install Ubuntu (PS3) and VLC player.

While this may not be the biggest loss the PS3 has suffered, it seems like all the 'awesome' features that once justified its price tag have all slowly whittled away over time. This only adds to that.

clankwise:

Hacking a console isn't a crime. If anything, this kid's going to get scooped up by some major development/security firm with a higher paying job than any of us Escapists can imagine. This is the same kid who hacked the iPhone when he was 17.

Actually I am pretty sure in the eula you will find something about not cracking the software.
From US EULA
You may not attempt to hack or reverse engineer any code or equipment in connection with PSN.
You may not modify or attempt to modify the online client, disc, save file, server, client-server communication, or other parts of any game title, or content.
You may not use, make, or distribute unauthorized software or hardware in conjunction with PSN, or take or use any data from PSN to design, develop or update unauthorized software or hardware, including but not limited to cheat code software or devices that circumvent any security features or limitations included on any software or devices.

AND

You may not lease, rent, sublicense, publish, modify, adapt, or translate any portion of the System Software. To the fullest extent permitted by law, you may not reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble any portion of the System Software, or create any derivative works, or otherwise attempt to create System Software source code from its object code. You may not (i) use any unauthorized, illegal, counterfeit, or modified hardware or software in connection with the System Software, including use of tools to bypass, disable, or circumvent any encryption, security, or authentication mechanism for the PS3™ system; (ii) violate any laws, regulations or statutes, or rights of SCE, its affiliated companies, or third parties in connection with your access to or use of the System Software, including the access, use, or distribution of any software or hardware that you know or should have known to be infringing or pirated; (iii) use any hardware or software to cause the System Software to accept or use unauthorized, illegal, or pirated software or hardware; (iv) obtain the System Software in any manner other than through SCE's authorized distribution methods; or (v) exploit the System Software in any manner other than to use it in your PS3™ system in accordance with the accompanying documentation and with authorized software or hardware, including use of the System Software to design, develop, update, or distribute unauthorized software or hardware for use in connection with the PS3™ system for any reason. Without limiting the scope of SCE's remedies, any violation of these restrictions will void the PS3™ system's warranty and affect your ability to obtain warranty services and repair services from SCE or its affiliated companies.

I like how the PS3 was originally advertised with such a high sticker price because it was more than a console, it was a powerful computer, and a Blu Ray player...

Now Blu Ray players are cheap and apparently you can't use the PS3 as a computer anymore.

So...it's an overpriced console?

That's quite sad as it was one of the features it was marketed with, must admit I've never used it, but for those who did its a bit of a blow :-(

Sony shafting its loyal fan base, what else is new?

midpipps:
Massive snip

Just because something's in a EULA doesn't mean that it's law. A good number of EULAs are designed to discourage behavior the company doesn't want to see. However, there's little to no legal precedence for the majority of it.

Nova5:

midpipps:
Massive snip

Just because something's in a EULA doesn't mean that it's law. A good number of EULAs are designed to discourage behavior the company doesn't want to see. However, there's little to no legal precedence for the majority of it.

Actually EULA is a binding contract that you are agreeing to when using the system or service that is covered by the EULA (within reason)

Izerous:
Boo, not that I use the other OS option a lot, but I do use it. I was using it as a way to start learningl inux. Didn't really want to muck around with VM's or dual boots on my desktop.

This sounds like they are instead of implementing a proper fix to the operations of the Other OS they are simply disabling it and forgetting about it.

I wouldnt be surprised. Originally it wasnt supposed to have backward compatiblity and we had to fight for it.

Bugger, there goes my living room PC.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or