Penny Arcade Adventures Ends Abruptly

Penny Arcade Adventures Ends Abruptly

Penny Arcade Adventures, the four-episode gaming installment of the popular webcomic is coming to a premature end.

Penny Arcade Adventures was first unveiled at PAX 2007, with the first two games of the proposed quartet released in May and October, 2008. With the subsequent time gap and the second game only making one-third of the sales the first game did, the series showed signs of struggle. "There won't be an Episode 3," Penny Arcade illustrator Mike Krahulik said. "We're actually not making a third episode of the game."

In addition to waning sales, Adventures developer Hothead is working on a new title, DeathSpank, in conjunction with EA Games. The Penny Arcade team felt the studio had a great opportunity with DeathSpank, and making Penny Arcade Adventures Episode 3 would cause the quality to suffer. "They definitely could've done both games," Penny Arcade writer Jerry Holkins said. "I think they could've made DeathSpank and Episode 3 but I think Episode 3 would've suffered. I mean, I know it would have suffered. So we'd rather not do it than do it half-assed and so we're going to finish that story but it's going to be on our website."

How will they finish the story? Penny Arcade will release an illustrated episodic version of the remaining story to help finish the tale Adventures set out to tell. "Our main goal at this point is to make sure that people aren't left hanging on a narrative side, and to allow Hothead to do the best they can on their project," Holkins said.

Source: Joystiq

Well, at least they're going to actually FINISH the story, as opposed to just leaving us hanging.

But beyond that, I think that this is a good call. The games, in all honesty, weren't that fun. The main reason I got them was for the entertaining story. Hopefully, it finishes up to be good!

(I apologize in advance for this joke)

So Episode 3 is never coming out?

Episodic games are a terrible idea, they were when they were conceived, they are to this day. They rarely if ever see a finish, and the only people paying for this kind of greedy game developing are the consumers that invest in these kinds of games only to see them fizzle out.

Not unexpected, but certainly unwelcome news.

Well, they are trying to tie off loose ends at least. Gotta gie them points for that.

Shames its ending as it is, but, at least it ends on a high-ish

I really enjoyed the basic gameplay, but the difficulty was so crushing I ended up giving up far too often.

Trust those boys at Penny Arcade to know when to kill a dog when it's down. And not screw over their fans in the process.

Cheers!

Well, at least they're going to finish the story.

HG131:

What? Oh man, I was really looking forward to episode 3, (and as many above have said) but at least they're going to finish the story.

Ugh. Guess I can delete my game files for it, then. I was getting excited to be able to use my monocle-clad garden-tool-carrying hero for another adventure, but alas.

Actually I'm not too happy about this. I sort of suspected the lack of sales on the second episode had to do with a lot of people taking a "wait and see" approach to the rest of the series since everyone was afraid exactly this was going to happen. I suspect if they did make the last two games they would see sales of the second one pick up along with the next chapters.

That said I'm just as "excited" about the way they are finishing it as I was when Joss Whedon decided to finish up the plotlines in the Buffyverse in comic form (WTF?). I mean it was one thing when he wasn't working in TV, but when he came back I kind of felt it was a major letdown to do things like "Dollhouse" instead of trying to launch a series to tie up the loose ends even if it meant a new cast (with occasional apperances by the old cast members in their roles, older and wiser, to tell some of what happened).

Ahh well, I suppose I see where they are coming from, but truthfully I am losing a bit of respect for Penny Arcade here.... though I've suspected it would come to this for a long time now.

Aww... Well, I respect Gabe and Tycho. Shame it had to end so soon. :(

The less Penny Arcade bashing around the internet, the better. Can't stand those guys.

Wait, Penny Arcade made a game?

This is very disappointing news. I loved the first two episodes, and I was eagerly awaiting episode 3. Wrapping it up in comic form is better than nothing, I guess...

The first game was entertaining enough for me, never purchased the second one since I felt like I had actually had enough. Episodic games face a waning audience. You see the problem with it is that people will buy the first one and, if they don't like it, will never pick up the second one or third or whatever. The only people who will stick with something like this is someone who wants to see the story progress or actually enjoys the gameplay...and frankly, the only thing these games had going for them was the story. In this day and age, 20 dollars for a story is a bit much and for such a small audience in the first place, you can't really expect that many sales.

So, Gabe cancelled Episode 3...

*runs away from enevitable flaming*

Mr.Pandah has a point, considering Telltale Games, who is basically the episodic game developer, now prefers you to buy an entire season rather than picking or choosing. At least they allow you to buy them individually after the season is out.

HG131:

Oh, god, you call that a joke?!

damn it, i liked these games

I'm a bit disappointed, I actually liked the combat and gameplay. It just won't feel the same... but it's better than nothing I suppose.

Ah well, at least there's DeathSpank and it's going to be unhindered.

I loved those games they were great that is too bad.

I'm sad to see the series go. Would have really like to see at least episode 3.

On the other hand, I also like their thoughts on giving the company more games to work with, as opposed to putting out one quality game.

Oh Goddammit.

I freaking loved those games!

I think they should have dropped the price a tad though... 2800 MS points in total.
But hey, I had a shit-ton of free points on my account anyway... and now I'm rambling.

Irridium:

HG131:

He's drawing a parallel to HL2E3, probably - god knows that's taking a while to show up.

OT: As others have said, I'd prefer the series to continue as games, but I'm glad they're actually finishing the story regardless.

Well this leaves me rather disheartened, I really enjoyed the games.

Icehearted:
Episodic games are a terrible idea, they were when they were conceived, they are to this day. They rarely if ever see a finish, and the only people paying for this kind of greedy game developing are the consumers that invest in these kinds of games only to see them fizzle out.

Thus far, I think only Telltale have gotten episodic games right. At least I can't think of a single other company that has succeeded with them.

Icehearted:
Not unexpected, but certainly unwelcome news.

Indeed.

NOOOOOO!! I demand closer! I demand more of the Penny Arcade games! I'm very disappointed Gabe and Tycho, really I am.

HG131:

I love you.

On Topic: This is actually a shame, from what I played of the Penny Arcade games, they were a nice break from the serious grit of today (which I still play, and enjoy...mostly...), it is unfortunate, but these things happen.

Awww... dude, I don't even know what to say... I was really getting into those games.

I beat both episodes 1 and 2, and they were a blast, and I had huge expectations for episode 3. I was wondering what was taking so long, but, at least, now I know it isn't ever coming out, so I can stop holding my breath.

...three people on Earth devastated, the rest of humanity goes 'Meh'.

As a story, its fairly well thought out and quite excellently written. As an illustration it was well-executed and sharply done as always. But as a game it mostly flailed about in a mire of its own spunk. It didn't offer anything new and the mechanics that do exist are pretty frustrating.

I'm glad for the change. Its much better off as a graphic novel or a serial in the existing comic.

Well, that's a shame. I suppose it's partly my fault, since I bought the first one but not the second. I was kind of hoping that they'd finish the rest of them and then sell them in a bundle for less than having to pay $15-20 per episode, because that's a lot more than I was willing to pay for it, especially now that I'm used to getting complete non-episodic games for less than that through sales on Steam. Maybe that explains why they're only $5 each now.

Bad news :(

I guess Telltale is the only studio which gets Episodic games, all others have failed. Maybe they can continue it?

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here