PC Glove Controller "Peregrine" Ships

Pages 1 2 NEXT

PC Glove Controller "Peregrine" Ships

Control in PC gaming may have just gotten much easier, or stayed relatively the same depending on how well a new glove peripheral works.

The Peregrine has been around for a while, but just now started shipping to customers. For those that haven't heard of it before, the Peregrine is a PC controller that is worn on the hand like a glove. In fact, it basically is a glove.

Based on most of the videos and the FAQ on the controller's website, the Peregrine seems to have been developed with the RTS gamer in mind. It uses touch points on the thumb, palm, and along each finger that allow for 30 programmable actions to be triggered, such as unit abilities in Warcraft III. Supposedly, it can also be used for non-gaming applications like Photoshop with a little customization.

I'm not a big RTS player, so I'm more interested in the glove's use for games like Bioshock or Bejeweled. After a lifetime of gaming, pain and uncomfortable feelings in my hands and wrists are now the norm, so it would be great if a controller could allow for less pain to be involved with my unstoppable gaming habit. Its uses as a general computer controller to replace the keyboard, or as an addition to it, are also intriguing.

The idea of the Peregrine certainly gives me the feeling of being part of Fred Savage and crew as they visited that kid that played Rad Racer with the power glove in The Wizard, but watching it in motion doesn't really give me an idea of how well it works. This may be one of those things that must be tried to get the full picture. The problem there is that it costs $149.99, and I don't have that many spare clams lying around to try out something new despite my hefty salary from being someone that writes on the internet.

The following video shows how the Peregrine is used while playing Warcraft III. Does this look like something that will change PC gaming? For all we know, the Peregrine could be the next mouse, but probably not at its current price point. It can be purchased through its official website.

Certainly an intresting device. I can see how it could make RTS a lot more involving...

It would be great if this could be used in other games too!

Hey it's the one working powerglove.

OT: It seems interesting, but I would have a hard time remembering the different motions I'm supposed to be doing for it to work well.

I'd be willing to give it ago, mmm maybe in a few revisions or until after the reviews come out, I do love me some RTS.

I Love the Peregrine...
... it's so bad.

this is sOOOoOoOoO blatantly April Fools

And you almost got me as well. Bet you feel absolutely crushed now that I've seen through your crafty ploy.

That looks prety cool.
I hope it isn't an April Fools joke.
Especially since it's now the second day of April...

This seems like a lot more work then just a keyboard.

DO WANT. $150 is a bit too much, but if this gets down to around $100, I'll buy. People are always afraid of new types of peripherals, but spend a week or so with them and they can really improve performance in certain games. I used to use a Microsoft Sidewinder for RTSes, and this seems a hell of a lot more intuitive. Not to mention just straight-up cool.

League of Legends would be great with this.

Hehe, Pu Liu.

It seems that glove based controllers are making a comeback.

The Peregine isn't an April Fools' joke. It's been around for quite a while.

Saerain:

Indeed I've seen talk about it for the last couple weeks highly doubt this is a April fools prank.

Also I want it to bad its so expensive though.

HontooNoNeko:

Saerain:

Indeed I've seen talk about it for the last couple weeks highly doubt this is a April fools prank.

Also I want it to bad its so expensive though.

If it's an April Fools joke it's one that also steals your money via paypal. I'm relatively sure it's not...

Done before.

Thrice.

And third time was with a giant touchscreen. With the same game.

Tom Goldman:
If it's an April Fools joke it's one that also steals your money via paypal. I'm relatively sure it's not...

Well, then that would make it a memorable April Fools joke?

Actually I think this device is interesting--probably the most interesting alternate control device than controller/keyboard/mouse and seems more easier to pick up than motion control or Natal. The price would need to go down for me, but I'm intrigued in how this device may work for other games. Something like an FPS might be handy as hot-keying all weapon buttons to would be more efficient then stretching over a keyboard, or this may work great for "Torchlight".

THE FUTURE IS NOW. My mind just exploded a little bit.

It's so-

Treblaine:
I Love the Peregrine...
... it's so bad.

Goddamnit.
Ahem, it doesn't honestly look that amazing; an interesting novelty, but not terribly useful for anything in particular. I'll pass.

I prefer my keyboard and mouse over that anyday.

It's so bad.

Quite literally, "It's so bad." I don't see how that helps at all. It seems cumbersome to curl your hand up mid-game, seems completely backwards.

And $150? NO ONE WILL USE IT.

now you playing with power!

It's like an omni-tool only not as useful.

I've tried similar devices at a research centre for accessibility, although they also included motion sensors to transfer all keyboard and mouse functions to one hand (for ppl who lack a hand/arm). The motion part was horrible, but after replacing gestures with eye-following lasers the interface worked great. You simply looked and clicked.

Having touchpoints on your finger joints is actually very intuitive, it feels like you have four layers of three keys, and then a bunch more in your palm. You can also use the thumb-joint for right-clicks on the fingers. I don't know if the Peregrine works the same way, but really there are only so many ways you can touch your joints on the same hand. 30 keys on the Peregrine would mean you can touch the side of you index finger by the lowest joint as well (but reaching with the alternate would be very difficult), the device I tried had 29.

At a lower price, I'd consider getting one. Although you would have to customize all your UIs heavily. That means not-Windows (or some serious development effort from a windows programmer) and restricted gaming. Since I'm an "expert" Linux/BSD user that's not a problem for me, but I have doubts on the general usability of this kind of device on current software.

Besides, it looks more like something out of of Lawnmower Man than made by [email protected] (alb. being from 89 -- more than 20 years too early it seems).

Very cool concept but I personally would be unable to use it effectively. It confuses me far too much, and besides I'm more of a clicker rather than a hotkey user anyways. But kudos for the awesome idea.

Plasmids, here we come!

If Natal had a wireless pair of these it might actually be awesome. Full body and fine gesture control. Seems like a nice peice of kit but being chained to the PC looks irritating and I think gloves would have be capable of replacing mouse and keyboard before I bought one. all it would take is a motion sensing right glove and a squishy ball as a clicker.

reminds me of the minority report

this could be very useful and im thinking more than just use for rts games

Meh - it seems more work than a keyboard with less functionality. Its not like we're lacking in keys to map controls too, and remembering 30 hand movements seems trickier than 30 buttons.

I'm not really seeing the benefits.

I couldn't resist ordering one, if only because being able to remap at least half of my hotkeys for stuff like Aion/GW to the glove would be really nice. Once you use up half of your keyboard buttons but still need to use a mouse hitting some of the ctrl/alt+ stuff can get awkward.

DO NOT WANT. WHile this is interesting, i dont see it replacing my keyboard since its just as effective and cheaper.

I would hate to see this glove used on a Hentai game.

I still fail to see, how the movements he makes in this specific case, is easier than the ones usign the keyboard hotkeys, now i know some dota hereos have retarded hotkeys, but still... pressing a single button on the keyboard is just as easy as pressing your fingers together.

I think action games would eb able to benefit more from this than RTS, but ofc RTS is where you get to show off most, cause it usually requires most buttons.

teisjm:
I still fail to see, how the movements he makes in this specific case, is easier than the ones usign the keyboard hotkeys, now i know some dota hereos have retarded hotkeys, but still... pressing a single button on the keyboard is just as easy as pressing your fingers together.

I think action games would eb able to benefit more from this than RTS, but ofc RTS is where you get to show off most, cause it usually requires most buttons.

You have to be smart how you bind the keys. Its definitely easier to tap fingers together than it is to push modifier keys (ctr, alt, shift) and another key. Since you can bind those directly.

The point is how close can 30 keys be placed and hit on keyboard versus just tapping. If you're only using 1-5 keys and you don't have "travel" problems and miss keys, then 150 dollars is not worth it. Get creative since its an HID compliant device, it can be used for a lot of neat things.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here