Gordon Freeman to Remain Mute

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Gordon Freeman to Remain Mute

Valve boss Gabe Newell has made it clear that he thinks Gordon Freeman is fine the way he is.

In a world where action game protagonists are defined by the likes of Nathan Drake and Marcus Fenix; Half-Life's Gordon Freeman is something of an anomaly. He never appears in cutscenes, never wisecracks, and indeed, never actually speaks at all.

When asked if future instalments of the series might see Freeman being brought more in line with the typical videogame hero and make him more than an arm with a crowbar, Valve's Gabe Newell shot the idea down pretty fast, saying: "We haven't had a reason to change that. Most of what I've seen to date has been gimmicky and is entertaining for just a minute or so."

The question of whether or not Freeman would speak was also raised, and what Newell had to say was interesting: "We're not philosophically opposed to this, but we don't have any good reasons to do it. Right now making your companions more interesting and compelling seems a more fruitful avenue to explore."

Source: CVG

I am sorry to hear this...

Oh well, Gordon himself is a TERRIBLE character. No personality or anything...He is the worst kind of protagonist. A silent one who everyone in-game likes for no reason as though he used to talk to them and they developed a close friendship.

In a game world where every other character is so great, Valve could easily make Gordon speak...and have it fit.

Good, if over-rated, games, horrible main character. When a headcrab named Lamarr has more personality then the hero, you've got a shitty hero.

Maybe he should talk Saint's Row 1 style. Like, a single line at the end of every major landmark in the story.

[sarcasm]Also, if they did ever give him a voice, hire Nolan North.[sarcasm]

When asked for a comment, Gordon Freeman declined to answer.

Oh well, your choice. When Alyx asked Gordon a question in that elevator, I thought it was pretty immersion-breaking when he didn't even say "I don't wanna talk now".

The_root_of_all_evil:

High five!

OP: I'm fine with that, really. I think that anything you could do to make Gordon Freeman an interesting character wouldn't possibly live up to fans expectations.

I am of the firm belief, that should he ever talk though, Paul from Loading Ready Run must voice him.

Logan Westbrook:
In a world where action game protagonists are defined by the likes of Nathan Drake and Marcvus Fenix;

Should probably proof-read your posts.

I'm fine with it, I've been fine with it for years.

Furburt:

I am of the firm belief, that should he ever talk though, Paul from Loading Ready Run must voice him.

But this. I would be fine with this too.

Logan Westbrook:

In a world where action game protagonists are defined by the likes of Nathan Drake and Marcvus Fenix; Half-Life's Gordon Freeman is something of an anomaly.

Who now? :P

I have to concur with Onyx on this one, I've never cared for Gordon as a protagonist.
It's a little hard to root for somebody with the personality of a bread crumb.

Can't say I support the decision to make him speak, especially not this late in the saga, but it's certainly a missed opportunity to make the character even better.

I also bet Gabe thinks his current weight it "fine the way it is".

I couldn't care less if Freeman spoke or not.

Nice of Gabe to admit that Freeman is nothing but an arm with a crowbar and that the other characters in the gameworld are much more interesting than he is.

Thats what makes him unique. The fact that he can pull of a whole series without one word. Not even a grunt of pain or jumping.

and Gordon Freeman to Remain a crap character imo. and i like half life

In other news, yes, there is a sky above our heads.

Not surprised. I'd like to see him actually have a personality, but hey, their choice.

The_root_of_all_evil:

I see what ya did thar. I see it.

I'm glad, now they can continue making more Freeman's Minds. (I'd post a link to youtube, but I suck at youtube links, just have to look it up yourself.)

That, and he's merely a scientist. He's just been trying to make sure he doesn't die since getting out of Black Mesa, and even then he was just trying not to die. No one wants his opinion, and he doesn't wanna give it.

he doesnt need a voice. the way the other characters act (Alyx in the citadel ep1) is awesome enough to work on its own

Good. I'd hate to have a "personality" shoehorned onto him like every other badly-voiced gaming character on the planet.

It's a good thing it gives you a sense of immersion within the character is if you are actually them, it makes your voice their voice.

Heh. If he were to start talking in a future game, Valve would have to be pretty careful not to enrage the fanboys that are used to him being mute ;)

Has anyone thought that perhaps he is an autistic savant? He is really smart and dealing with insane physics and such as his old job. And generally autistic people do not have strong communication skills.

Or maybe he is a mute and has always just been doing sign language.

Or maybe he is just fine the way he is and people should leave him alone.

Hey Gabe, you know what else might be a 'fruitful avenue to explore'? Releasing the fucking game.

Hazy:

Logan Westbrook:

In a world where action game protagonists are defined by the likes of Nathan Drake and Marcvus Fenix; Half-Life's Gordon Freeman is something of an anomaly.

Who now? :P

I have to concur with Onyx on this one, I've never cared for Gordon as a protagonist.
It's a little hard to root for somebody with the personality of a bread crumb.

Can't say I support the decision to make him speak, especially not this late in the saga, but it's certainly a missed opportunity to make a good character even better.

Valve continues to pull that whole "You ARE Gordon Freeman. Give him your personality," thing, but I'm starting to feel like it's just lazy on their part.

Then again, anything that would speed up the time they spend on developing a single fucking game, I would support it no matter what it was.

Also, I was surprised to find that in Metro 2033, Artyom was silent as well. Except during the loading screens where he would read shit from the book.

I don't really care whether or not an FPS protagonist can speak, but making Freeman speak all of a sudden would be really weird.

I'm glad they're not going to change it just to be more like the other kids on the block.

Also Gabe Newell said he'll be Mute about any type of announcements to do with Episode 3.

Calumon: It's been so long, I think it's just Half life 3.

I am Freeman. And I don't want some crappy voice actor ruining that.

Frequen-Z:
Hey Gabe, you know what else might be a 'fruitful avenue to explore'? Releasing the fucking game.

Epic quote achievement unlocked.

I like his muteness. I just assume he had lost his voice before the train ride in HL1 and permanently lost his voice after being in flippin' Ground Zero of the Xen invasion! 8D

You know, a small fun speculation!

Onyx Oblivion:

Oh well, Gordon himself is a TERRIBLE character. No personality or anything...He is the worst kind of protagonist. A silent one who everyone in-game likes for no reason as though he used to talk to them and they developed a close friendship.

Good, if over-rated, games, horrible main character. When a headcrab named Lamarr has more personality then the hero, you've got a shitty hero.

Maybe he should talk Saint's Row 1 style. Like, a single line at the end of every major landmark in the story.

Also, if they did ever give him a voice, hire Nolan North.

... Every major character likes him because he saved all their lives. Therefor since he did something good, they imprint other "good" things upon him. But no one ever references anything he said.

Hes kinda like a dog with high powered weaponry that always shows up whenever shit is bad. He is their deus ex machina.

Catkid906:
Also Gabe Newell said he'll be Mute about any type of announcements to do with Episode 3.

Calumon: It's been so long, I think it's just Half life 3.

@Jack: Best. Comment. Ever.

@Calumon: If it's not Half Life 3, I'll fucking kill someone. Episode 3 ain't cutting it.

Yes, he needs not to talk, he is awesome without speech.

Onyx Oblivion:

Good games, horrible main character. When a headcrab named Lamarr has more personality then the hero, you've got a shitty hero.

^^^can only describe how i feel about your response.

VIDEO GAMES ARE NOT THE SAME AS MOVIES!!!!!

But why are you holding them to the same standards and expectations as movies? like that the protagonist MUST be well fleshed out and deep, what you are asking for is like more characterisation in a book told from the 2nd person perspective!

WHY oh F***ing why can so many people get the idea through their heads that Gordon Freeman is DELIBERATELY left an empty shell so that he is easier to inhabit.

How films and books do it: develop the character of protagonist to EMPATHISE with them

How games do it: Give the illusion that you ARE the protagonist so you can more deeply immerse in the world

The more voice acting you give your protagonist, the more automatic actions, the LESS CONTROL you give the player, the more if feels like they are just a director ordering an actor around. if you don't FEEL that you ARE the character in the story then the game has failed in doing the one things games can do and that movies/books cannot.

Hopeless Bastard:

Onyx Oblivion:

Also, if they did ever give him a voice, hire Nolan North.

... Every major character likes him because he saved all their lives. Therefor since he did something good, they imprint other "good" things upon him. But no one ever references anything he said.

Hes kinda like a dog with high powered weaponry that always shows up whenever shit is bad. He is their deus ex machina.

Thing is...even in the first game, BEFORE THE LIFE SAVING, people acted like he'd spoke to them before.

It's only right that he remains mute, cos really, WHO would voice him?

muckinscavitch:

Or maybe he is a mute and has always just been doing sign language.

Am I the only one who thinks this needs to be made into a YouTube video?

Idea for a big, interesting plot twist: Gordon Freeman is a mute that can only communicate in sign language.

Well it worked for the first few games. Why not Ep3?

I'm glad they're going to keep him the way he is. I don't think he'd be as memorable as he is now if he talked as much as the other characters. The Half-Life games are great because of their silent storytelling. "Show, don't tell." Would it improve the games greatly if Gordon would grunt when got hit or shouted, "Zombie!" when a zombie jumped at him. There's enough games doing that already.

It never broke my immersion, I always saw him as an actual mute... I know the games never stated that, but if you had a mute character, would the poeple really talk about his muteness at all? No, it'd be normal and that's that. I dislike conversations between characters (in games that take themselves seriously) that are only there to inform the audience about something, like the godawful scene in the recent Unskippable video of Vampire Rain where that chick said, "Oh, you're that famous guy who did that and survived the other thing and then you managed to do that upon which you did the other thing again and were awesome." She's just saying it for the audience, and I find it retarded and lazy.

I'm not saying that Valve wouldn't be able to pull off good characterization of their protagonists through spoken dialog. But they don't need to. I love Gordon Freeman, even if he doesn't speak.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here