Man Breaks 27 Year Old Asteroids Record

Man Breaks 27 Year Old Asteroids Record

A gamer in Portland, Oregon has broken the high score record for Asteroids, a record that has stood for more than a quarter of a century.

Some people are good at a certain game, some people are very good, and some are so good it starts to get a little scary. John McAllister played Asteroids for three days straight in his effort to bag the top score.

Every few hours, McAllister would get up and walk around or eat something, sacrificing some of his extra lives in the process, until eventually he clocked up a score of 41,338,740, beating the previous record by 2,300 points. The previous total was set in 1982 by the, then 15, year old Scott Safran, and was the longest standing videogame record to date.

Source: Wired

After three days I weould be spinning around shooting at asteroids that wern't there.

Pew Pew Pew

the other guy had a button on his arcade that paused it

I don't know whether or not to be impressed... Dayum!

Wow, congratulations to the man.

He deserves it.

That's dedication. Top Work good sir.

zombie711:
the other guy had a button on his arcade that paused it

Really? xD
McAllister just stocked up on enough lives so he could take a bathroom break... ... and hoped for the best.
There was some close moments near the end too...
But all in all... was sort of epic... in a sad-watching-some-guy-play-asteroids-all-night kinda way ~~

Nice dude. He should get a medal.

This reminds me of that virus that let you play Asteroids and everytime you managed to shoot an asteroid, some random data was erased from your hard-drive. Of course the OS-folders were touched the last so the user wouldn't notice until it's very well too late.

Anyone that dedicated to any cause deserves an Medal, be it Video gaming or anything else

That is absolutely crazy. Sacrificing his lives for basic bodily functions, that's quite the dedication.

These old videogame records are a decade and a half old and they still peruse my interest.

Hats off to this guy.

Well, congrats to him..now, lets see him do Pac-Man!

Congrats...

Jaredin:
Well, congrats to him..now, lets see him do Pac-Man!

Pac-man's record can't be beaten because of the kill screen.

After three days straight, that guy had BETTER beat the score. Well, congratulations to him anyway, he deserves some kind of medal or something.

Welcome to Portland. Where standing up for three days listening to "beep-boop-beep-boop" is our idea of a good time. I thought they had beer up there.

I'm guessing the fact he had to sacrifice lives meant this was done on an old school arcade cabinet? I wonder how many bodyguards they had standing around to prevent anyone trying to be "funny" and ending the game early.

Top marks to this guy for smashing a long standing record :)

Does it actually get harder and faster the longer you play or is there a threshold?

He never actually died. This was released in a local paper, and it appears that the game's motherboard didn't have the capacity to handle that many lives/points, so it fried mid-game.

Woot! Portland Oregon!
Sorry just couldn't help it.

wow. I hope he got some decent sleep after that one

sockpuppet:
He never actually died. This was released in a local paper, and it appears that the game's motherboard didn't have the capacity to handle that many lives/points, so it fried mid-game.

Does that mean it's now un-beatable?

I'm guessing playing a clone of it on someone's 360 doesn't count then?

Mcradden:

sockpuppet:

Does that mean it's now un-beatable?

I'm guessing playing a clone of it on someone's 360 doesn't count then?

It might've just been the game's age, it was a pretty old arcade rig. I'd say it's still beatable, but remember, this wasn't a 'pause-able' game. So unless your friend doesn't mind you staying over for a couple days play non-stop asteroids....XD;

Canid117:
Woot! Portland Oregon!
Sorry just couldn't help it.

I thought the same thing when I saw this :D

sockpuppet:

It might've just been the game's age, it was a pretty old arcade rig. I'd say it's still beatable, but remember, this wasn't a 'pause-able' game. So unless your friend doesn't mind you staying over for a couple days play non-stop asteroids....XD;

I'll bring the funyuns and mountain dew ^_^

i don't know if i should Cheer or Facepalm... :/

GamingAwesome1:
That is absolutely crazy. Sacrificing his lives for basic bodily functions, that's quite the dedication.

Epic irony there.

OT, I think that this sort of thing really shouldn't be done, but good job anyway.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here